PDA

View Full Version : An absolute mess.

mhanna91
02-02-12, 13:38
I was about to leave my house today and before I holstered my M&P9 I performed a quick press check. Upon locking into battery, I noticed a strange feel/noise that came from the weapon. I slowly pulled the slide back (mag still inserted) until the chambered round ejected. Once the round ejected I found that the projectile and the case of the top cartridge in the magazine were separated. The powder from the cartridge found its way into lots of little nooks and crannies and made an absolute mess. Much of the powder had settled around the muzzle-end of the barrel inside the slide, suggesting that I had carried the weapon like this at least once :eek:. Scary stuff. Ammo was Speer Gold Dot 115 gr. +p+. I contacted Speer and explained the problem to a representative. He looked up the lot number for my particular ammo and found 0 reports of problems with that lot (late 2009 manufacture). He explained that I could ship the problem round with the rest of the ammo from that box to them for inspection. I don't think I'll do that. I asked for their COL measurement and tolerances for that loading so that I can measure all of mine, and if they all pass then I guess they will be okay. The rep didn't really have any explanation as to what could have happened. Any ideas here? Also, I still need to clean this mess up. I was thinking of using some CLP Powder blast to blow it out, but would that cause any powder to get anywhere where it shouldn't be? (ie. striker channel maybe?). What would you do?

Here are some pictures:
http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz29/mhanna91/SpeerGDbadcrimp001.jpg
http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz29/mhanna91/SpeerGDbadcrimp002.jpg
http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz29/mhanna91/SpeerGDbadcrimp004.jpg
http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz29/mhanna91/SpeerGDbadcrimp006.jpg
http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz29/mhanna91/SpeerGDbadcrimp008.jpg
http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz29/mhanna91/SpeerGDbadcrimp010.jpg
http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz29/mhanna91/SpeerGDbadcrimp014.jpg

RancidSumo
02-02-12, 13:52
I've had that happen with a reloaded round that wasn't fully seated. When the slide closed, the round hit the threads and prevented it from going fully into battery. I racked the slide and the shell popped out leaving the round stuck in the barrel and I had to knock it out with a cleaning rod.

F-Trooper05
02-02-12, 13:56
What would you do?

I'd clean it. :D

yellow50
02-02-12, 13:57
have you downloaded then reloaded that round alot or is it fairly new?

mhanna91
02-02-12, 13:57
What was the make/model of your gun? Was there powder all over the place like this? How did you clean it, and did it run reliably after that?

mhanna91
02-02-12, 13:59
have you downloaded then reloaded that round alot or is it fairly new?

The problem round was never chambered.

mhanna91
02-02-12, 14:02
I'd clean it. :D

I am concerned about blowing powder into a critical mechanism and causing malfunctions. I carry this weapon every day and would like to be able to have faith in it. Do you think a good cleaning and 50-100 trouble-free rounds through it would be sufficient?

RCI1911
02-02-12, 14:06
Wow, thats a new one on me. The barrel and slide are easy enough to clean. The frame might be a little tougher. If you have anyone nearby that has a sonic cleaner that might be the ticket to cleaning the frame. Other than that you might just have to learn how to detail strip the frame and get it all cleaned up.

awm14hp
02-02-12, 14:07
I would hit it with compressor then make sure it functions fine and lube it up and drive on. If your really worried go shoot it

F-Trooper05
02-02-12, 14:15
I am concerned about blowing powder into a critical mechanism and causing malfunctions. I carry this weapon every day and would like to be able to have faith in it. Do you think a good cleaning and 50-100 trouble-free rounds through it would be sufficient?

I would treat it the same way I would treat dropping my gun in mud or sand. You can either clean it, or send it to S&W and have them clean it. Either way it's gotta get cleaned.

markm
02-02-12, 14:22
With a 115 grain bullet.... there is NOT much case neck tension... or much surface area of the bullet for the brass to grab.

I would NOT carry that load anymore... Jump up to 124gr +p.

Unfortunately a detail strip of the slide means having to take the rear sight off. (thanks S&W :rolleyes:)

But you could clean up what you can, and shoot the hell out of it to see if there's any issues.

operator81
02-02-12, 14:52
Run a match over it, it'll clear that powder right up ;-) All kidding aside, just clean it the best you can and find a new carry load.

PPGMD
02-02-12, 16:30
Unfortunately a detail strip of the slide means having to take the rear sight off. (thanks S&W :rolleyes:)

A couple of paint pen witness marks on the sight/slide and use a sight pusher. It's annoying, but not a huge deal.

Guns-up.50
02-02-12, 17:19
I would hit it with compressor then make sure it functions fine and lube it up and drive on. If your really worried go shoot it

yep I agree hit it with a air compressor use the needle tip. Take as much of the guts out you can blast it then re lube.

If you think this has happend nefor with the same ammo then, if it were me there is no way in hell I would trust my life with it. Although speer gd is great ammo I would switch even if its just to a new(er) box.

Shokr21
02-02-12, 17:23
wow, never seen that before. Thanks for sharing.

I normally do a press check before I leave home as well, it's all the more important now.

It's gonna be a PITA to clean, but a necessary evil to gun ownership, but I enjoy cleaning my guns, so it wouldn't be a problem.

Axcelea
02-02-12, 17:54
If you really want to play it safe, have someone who takes liability for any potential damage clean it in case something bad happens. Personally I would brush and wipe away as much of the powder in an initial clean up making sure to brush/wipe away from various mechanisms then use compressed air to blow through internals and clear out any in tight places as best as possible. After cleared as best as possible then put some rounds through it.

Should be just fine, not like each granule is a small HE charge.

JodyH
02-02-12, 19:57
I'd blow it off with an air compressor, load it up and hit the range.
A few powder flakes aren't going to hurt anything.

mrosamilia
02-02-12, 20:23
Never happened to me in an handgun yet, but my Hammonds 257 WBY did have this happen twice with out of spec ammo. A most unfortunate time as well.

mhanna91
02-02-12, 21:54
Well, I hit it with some of that Breakfree powderblast. That wasn't a good idea. It sort of melted the powder and turned it this white chalky color as well as making it hard to brush off. It sort of made the powder stick to the parts it was on. I got all of the visible stuff off of the gun and will be shooting a few rounds through it tomorrow. If it functions I may just leave it. But a detail strip may also be a consideration. I sort of know what I'm doing in the frame because I installed an APEX DCAEK, but I had a smith push the rear sight off because I don't know anyone else with a sight pusher.

samuse
02-02-12, 22:12
If you can't just detail strip the gun and clean it out.... Consider a different gun.

Nephrology
02-03-12, 02:57
I had that happen with some Cor Bon 115gr DPX. Theirs did it over half a dozen times though. gave up the 115gr and the cor bon. Never looked back.

markm
02-03-12, 07:23
Yep... reloading 115gr bullets is a trip.... you barely get any bullet into the case mouth.

I can remember looking at it thinking I was having a brain fart, and something was just not right.

Rinspeed
02-03-12, 07:43
I'd blow it off with an air compressor, load it up and hit the range.
A few powder flakes aren't going to hurt anything.

Exactly.

HighPockets
02-03-12, 07:47
For me I would and do, just blast it with some break cleaner, lube and shoot it. The striker and striker block were on top and should not have any trash in it. Regardless is not something that can not easy be removed and cleaned. There is a site that shows doing trigger work on the M&P and has great photos, you can learn how to disassemble and reassemble there. http://www.burwellguns.com/M&Ptriggerjob1.htm

R0CKETMAN
02-03-12, 09:54
Detail strip and clean. Drop check remaining ammo and shoot it up. Then I'd switch to say RA9TA and move on.

JHC
02-03-12, 15:51
I think you should definitely ship the box of ammo back. They may find a problem and recall the lot. When I had a case split from a box of Hornady .45-70 Leverevolution they asked for the box back, I sent it, then they sent me a brand new box in return.

DocGKR
02-03-12, 16:14
It is just gunpowder...

Load up your identical back-up pistol (there are reasons we keep recommending having 2-3 identical pistols). Take the effected one and blow it with compressed air, detail strip, some more compressed air, if you want, throw it in a dishwasher or ultrasonic cleaner. Re-lube and re-assemble. Go to the range and shoot it to verify function.

This should NOT be a big surprise; there are reasons why 115 gr Gold Dot is NOT on our list of recommended duty ammo: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887...

mhanna91
02-03-12, 20:22
It is just gunpowder...

Load up your identical back-up pistol (there are reasons we keep recommending having 2-3 identical pistols). Take the effected one and blow it with compressed air, detail strip, some more compressed air, if you want, throw it in a dishwasher or ultrasonic cleaner. Re-lube and re-assemble. Go to the range and shoot it to verify function.

This should NOT be a big surprise; there are reasons why 115 gr Gold Dot is NOT on our list of recommended duty ammo: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887...

Right when this happened I thought, "Man I wish I had the means to own an identical gun to this.". Haha, lesson learned. Not on my college budget though. I will probably detail strip and clean. And while it is only gunpowder, it was also mixed with 5w-30 Mobil1. Not fun to clean. I did my best though without a detail strip.

rathos
02-04-12, 02:24
set it on the table, light up a long necked lighter and have a laugh..

williejc
02-04-12, 03:43
Have you considered using a strong vacuum cleaner like a shop vac and then use compressed air?

ra2bach
02-04-12, 15:59
Well, I hit it with some of that Breakfree powderblast. That wasn't a good idea. It sort of melted the powder and turned it this white chalky color as well as making it hard to brush off. It sort of made the powder stick to the parts it was on. I got all of the visible stuff off of the gun and will be shooting a few rounds through it tomorrow. If it functions I may just leave it. But a detail strip may also be a consideration. I sort of know what I'm doing in the frame because I installed an APEX DCAEK, but I had a smith push the rear sight off because I don't know anyone else with a sight pusher.

seriously?.. you're way overthinking this...

just disassemble the gun, brush off excess powder, rinse it off under running water, then drown it in alcohol. remove that with an air hose or wipe it down and relube.

JonnyVain
02-04-12, 18:11
I would wash it with soap and water, but I own a Glock and it doesn't rust. And it's easy to strip.

JonnyVain
02-04-12, 18:12
seriously?.. you're way overthinking this...

just disassemble the gun, brush off excess powder, rinse it off under running water, then drown it in alcohol. remove that with an air hose or wipe it down and relube.

That would work. It's how I clean my razors. Compressed air would probably work if he doesn't have an air hose.