PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions on a soft gun case?

RCI1911
02-02-12, 14:58
I was wondering if someone can offer up suggestions on a good soft, gun case? I'd like one that can hold 2 AR's and the ability to hold pistols as well. I know 5.11 stuff is gtg but was wondering if there were any other good offerings for less money. Thanks in advance!

bajavader
02-02-12, 15:14
I can tell you what brand to avoid...US Peacekeeper! Their zippers are cheap and easily come undone, especially when weighted...negating having lockable zippers or double zippers for that matter.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

TehLlama
02-02-12, 19:15
5.11 deals from LAPG can be really affordable. When TacticalTailor clears some out through GreyGhostGear those are the best deals running.

That said, it may be worth looking into some of the unconventional options too - padded tennis or hockey bags can actually go a long way.

drck1000
02-02-12, 19:38
I have the 5.11 42" Double Rifle Bag and it's awesome. I wanted something that wasn't bulky and had shoulder and backpack straps. I was about to order from LAPG, but I found a local vendor who had them on sale.

I also seriously considered the Condor 151 36" Double and Voodoo Tactical 40" Discreet Cases. Both cases can be found for much cheaper than the 5.11, but with shipping they would've come out more expensive than the 5.11 case. Both were about what I was looking for. I didn't want the expandable pouches on the front of the case to make it more bulky. You may want to look into those as a cheaper alternative to the 5.11.

I've read good and bad reviews of both the Condor and Voodoo and mostly positive review for the 5.11 bag, so for me it was an easy decision.

I am now looking at getting the LaRue Discreet Soft Case and Pelican case combo for when I travel. I contacted Larue and they indicated that it can fit two M4's with the stock collapsed. The LaRue Discreet case is about the same price as the 5.11 though.

Devildog1988
02-12-12, 11:52
Spikes tactical has a nice case right now. Its lik $80, Has webbing on the outside and inside along with some velcros straps to secure your weapons. I just checked to see if both my ARs fit in it and they do, I dont think theres room for pistols unless you have a compact.

MSteele
02-12-12, 12:01
Larue has some really nice cases, a little pricey but well worth it. They also have a case that fits inside of a Pelican case if you ever need to travel, they sell them separate or together as a package.

ST911
02-12-12, 17:27
We've had extensive conversations on various soft cases, including user reviews with photos. Fill up your beverage, hit the search button, and read for quite awhile.

CommackBoy
02-13-12, 11:33
A while ago there was a great review on Safariland cases in one of hte gun magazines. About 2 weeks ago Optics planet had a special on Safariland cases. I picked one up and it is of a really high quality. Very happy I got it.

ZGXtreme
02-13-12, 12:40
I've transitioned to exclusively to using the S.E.R.T. cases by iShot. The one for my Commando has survived the trunk of my patrol car for years without issue.

Kokopelli
02-13-12, 13:01
I have a 42" voodoo tactical that's worked ok for me. It has the three pouches on the front and of course is easily to overload. I use it mostly in the back of the FJ, so no real carry. The straps are of decent quality and wrap around. It has a shoulder strap, but I've never used it. The zippers have held up so far..

I also have the 5.11 M4 covert case and it's great for taking the 9mm to the indoor range. It's light weight and the handle does not wrap around; that's probably my major complaint with it. It will just barely fit the M4 lengthwise, but there's plenty of width for optics. It has two nice pouches on the front, but the nylon seems too thin to carry actual gear in them. For the intended purpose it's OK, but I wouldn't think it is rugged enough or padded well enough for more strenuous use. Ron

Backroad
02-14-12, 11:34
+1 on the VooDoo. It'll hold 2 ARs, a couple of pistols and assorted other stuff. It comes with 3 outer pockets, but I've added a couple of 30rnd mag pockets as it has MOLLE straps for those additions. Loaded up, you'd better have strong shoulders....

Al

Lodogg2221
02-18-12, 20:07
Wish Id have gotten the Safariland deal. Looked at it and passed.
Still looking...looks like Ill just have to spend the money on a good one.

duece71
02-19-12, 09:06
Natchez shooters supply had a bunch of Eagle SS rifle cases on sale a while ago. They might still have some. These are the ones made in Dom republic but if that doesn't bother you then check them out.

dirtyhoboC
02-19-12, 09:41
http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Deluxe-Covert-Homeland-Security/dp/B001WJ6P4S/ref=pd_sim_sg_2
I love this one for 3 gun. Holds my AR & my shotty in one compartment. Has a pistol holster in the other. Also even though the picture show 3 mag pockets. When I got mine, it has 4. and each pocket holds 2. Has nylon strap to hold a field cleaning get for jams and such. Also would hold 10 pistol mags in the strap if needed. Room for my eotech and more.

RCI1911
02-27-12, 09:35
Thanks for all the comments everyone. I think that I'm going to end up going with the Voodoo Tactical.

Jaysop
02-27-12, 09:46
Id really try to avoid the VD tac case. I wanted one originally and found some local to get my hands on. I was really not impressed but its quality, Yea its a case and probably wont take any real stress or abuse but I could see that one failing fairly easily.

I googled images of used ones to see how they break in. They don't seem to hold up well or keep they're form much.

Someone gave me a Uncle Mikes case that resembled the VD case. It was a single and worked well for a while. Not the best. I eventually got a 5.11 42" double rifle case. Absolutely the toughest bag, sturdy and solid. Strong molle to hold other $hit. Its expensive but I don't see needing to replace it anytime soon or needing an additional bag for the range. BTW I got a good deal and paid something like $145 shipped. So look around if interested.

But then again how important is a case anyway unless its in the trunk of a patrol car daily or as a truck gun.
Trips to the range don't really take a toll on the case in my experience.