PDA

View Full Version : Anything bad to say about Mega Monolithics?

Noodles
02-02-12, 15:24
So... I'm considering a 16" long range 556, bla bla bla barrel, ammo, scope... I've been tossing around the idea of a Mega monolithic billet upper and matching mega billet lower. I'd kinda like the Noveske flared forged lower, but it's more expensive than my price on the billet Mega and wouldn't match as well.

So everyone that I've been able to find that talks about the monolithic uppers does nothing but rave about how great they are. Does anyone have a bad experience with them? If all I can find is how great they are, it's either that they are great, or that the people who just spend 7+ on their set up don't want to admit it isn't what they wanted, or thought they wanted.

I can see how the upper would be stiff, much stiffer than a upper+rail, and I like the feeling when I held the mega parts. I had a concern about dropping that rifle. I figured on an traditional upper and rail, that the if dropped hard enough to crack aluminum (like concrete or rocks down a slope) that you're only out one part, in a mono you'd be out both.

The cost isn't really even that big an issue because it's really pretty damn close to the same price as an upper + a good rail like a URX-III or etc. I'm getting a good break on the mega parts, so it's really not a price issue at all. I just want to make sure I'm buying something that makes sense for me.

As for my build, I'm looking at a cut 5R midlength, rifle length monolithic modular set (NOT the quad rail) with a lo pro gas block. I can't even seem to be able to find any good photos of that, let alone honest feedback.

Anyone have experience with the Mega stuff?

cop1211
02-02-12, 16:17
I have a Mega mono on a 12.5 sbr and like it just fine.
The Mega mono and Mega lower you are looking to get would make a fine looking quality upper.

Someone will chime in on the unnessasary weight but unless your deploying to a combat zone, who cares, get quality and get what would make you happy. Post pics when you get it done, Mega makes quality stuff that also looks great.

Noodles
02-02-12, 16:26
I have a Mega mono on a 12.5 sbr and like it just fine.
The Mega mono and Mega lower you are looking to get would make a fine looking quality upper.

Someone will chime in on the unnessasary weight but unless your deploying to a combat zone, who cares, get quality and get what would make you happy. Post pics when you get it done, Mega makes quality stuff that also looks great.

I saw the weight, it's within an oz or two of a "normal" setup like a forged and a DD lite rail. I'm not worried about the weight at all.

One thing I'd really love is if their lower had an AMBI CATCH instead of ambi release. I can hit the release just fine, it's the catch that's an issue. Whatever.

I'm probably going to do it, I just wish I could find a few rifle length modular v2 pictures, and the mega billet upper on a forged lower, that one seems to be unicorn rare.

strambo
02-02-12, 19:29
I wouldn't worry about strength...it is stronger being 1 piece than a traditional upper and rail, and I've seen a DDM4 dropped out of a helo do just fine! I cannot imagine you could throw it down on concrete hard enough to damage it (other than cosmetic), nevermind just dropping it.

I don't have a Mega, but do have an MRP, strength is definitely a plus for any monolithic platform.

LowandLeft
02-02-12, 21:30
I don't have a MEGA mono, but would love to. I do have a MEGA forged upper and am very impressed with it. In fact, I haven't heard anything negative about MEGA. I'd go for it if I had the $.

d90king
02-02-12, 21:38
Yeah, the MRP is a better option IMHO and I prefer having LMT behind my product.

I think MEGA makes a fine product but I simply prefer LMT's MRP. I've run countless rounds through them (5.56 and 6.8) and have never had a single issue.

Worth checking out.

Noodles
02-03-12, 10:56
Yea, on the LMT... The price seems way higher. I already have a nice barrel that isn't compatible with their system. This won't be going on my SBR lower, so my barrel options are a lot smaller than I would need to a changeable barrel system. LMT only makes a quad rail, which honestly, I am over with. And most importantly...

I'm trying to avoid proprietary parts as much as possible. The mega takes a new barrel nut so I'm going to buy a spare one. But everything else is common AR. So if MEGA up and goes out of business, everything should be fine. The mega lower does have an ambi bolt release, I'll look into spare parts for that as well, but everything else seems like stock LPK.

Now of course I don't see LMT or Mega going anywhere, it's just a nitpick about proprietary parts. It's there even if it isn't rational.

jjslice
02-03-12, 23:13
I have a mega monolithic upper and a mega lower, my only complaints is the finish on them is fairly weak and chips off easily. there is also upper/lower play even when I have the adjustment screw tightened