PDA

View Full Version : pinned stock position

newyork
02-02-12, 17:09
I am going to order either a MRP with Sopmod stock or a DD M4V7 with CTR. I usually use a Sully (8" plus DD A2 burnsed loop) because I live in NY. The company I am ordering from will pin the stock, perm the brake. Anyone know what position I should pin either of these stocks at to achieve a similar length? I was thinking 1 click from closed but, what do I know?

newyork
02-02-12, 19:10
Correction: I meant MOE stock. I'm sure its the same though. Any help is appreciated.

R0CKETMAN
02-02-12, 19:42
Why not wait and lay hands on as our physiques vary as do our taste.

TOMTOM
02-02-12, 19:49
I've pinned both a CTR and a SOPMOD stock for my CA featureless rifle. I agree with the other guy and would wait until you see what is more comfortable. All it takes to pin both those stocks is a 1/8" drill bit and a 1/8" x 1/2" long roll pin.

newyork
02-02-12, 19:54
I'm not in a free state. I can't have it shipped to my ffls unless pinned already. I agree but, not a possibility here.

TOMTOM
02-02-12, 20:27
Thenid pin it two clicks out.

Jaysop
02-02-12, 20:43
Where are you having it shipped to?
I had the upper the stock shipped to me and the lower minus stock
To the FFL. And pinned it myself. There's a little more to it than that as well.
2 clicks out are pretty popular amongst hobby shooters. Most MIL I noticed are more comfortable fully extended, familiarity with a2s I suppose.

newyork
02-02-12, 20:47
Not sure what "hobby shooters" means but A2 is way too long. I use Sully stocks usually. 8". I think I will have the lower shipped separately.

To the FFL. And pinned it myself. There's a little more to it than that as well.
2 clicks out are pretty popular amongst hobby shooters. Most MIL I noticed are more comfortable fully extended, familiarity with a2s I suppose.

MSteele
02-02-12, 20:56
I live in MA so same applies here, I purchased my AR with a standard M4 stock that was pinned but I purchased a Vltor Emod complete kit separately and have changed the position so many times I have 3 holes that I use a set screw to secure. All of the holes are hidden by the removable battery compartments. I don't think it should come pinned with out you using it for a while. If possible just order the lower with a standard cheap stock then purchase what you want and pin it yourself or find someone who can do it. When I use my PC I set it to position 2 without I set it to 3. Everyone is different....

Jaysop
02-02-12, 20:58
I mean people who took up "tactical" shooting on there own and not threw a military/LE affiliation. Don't take offence...
When A2s are all you know they're not to bad. And you get used to them. It's more comfortable for me because I learned on that.

Mind me asking what shop your working with? I just had a lower transerferd a few days ago that went very well with south shore. I had some real big difficulties with 2 other places on the island.

newyork
02-02-12, 21:05
No offense taken. All is breezy. Sending it to Edwards in Riverhead from Rainier.

Jaysop
02-02-12, 21:13
I've never been in there, it's about 15 min from to me to.
I know some places locally dont want a collapable RE regardless of a stock or not (hunters in massapequa, and bensons)
South shore in Merrik has a lot of magpul stocks and other stuff. They're not uptight and would probably let you test out postions on some of there rifles that's are intended for LE sale. Don't quote me on that :p

Locutus
02-02-12, 21:35

Funny you should say that - I carried an A1 for ten years and an A2 for another ten and I definitely like my stock fully extended.

:D

Russell92
02-02-12, 21:53
A MOE stock pinned 2 clicks back from fully collapsed on a 6 position receiver extension is a tiny bit longer than a Sully stock with a sling endplate. If using a 4 or 5 position receiver extension I'd go 1 click back.

newyork
02-02-12, 22:04
A MOE stock pinned 2 clicks back from fully collapsed on a 6 position receiver extension is a tiny bit longer than a Sully stock with a sling endplate. If using a 4 or 5 position receiver extension I'd go 1 click back.

Thank you!

m1a_scoutguy
02-02-12, 23:49
I have a Vltor EMOD and I tried multiple spots and ended up with 3rd Click out !!! I'm 6ft 3in so at that position it really seems about perfect for me !!! I have run A1 Stocks for years and really liked them,,but always wanted a "better" cheek weld !! For me,,all the way in and my nose just about touched the CH,,,,2nd click was better,,but still felt hunched up,,3rd was a great compromise between a shorter platform and a good handling rifle !!! Depending on your Size,,arm length,,etc,,,you should be good someplace in there !!!! :D

mark5pt56
02-03-12, 07:27
Just get the Vltor A1 and be done with it. Why do you like it so short?

sjc3081
02-03-12, 07:29
From LAV mouth to my ears, one click in from full extension.

mark5pt56
02-03-12, 07:33
Sometimes I wonder if people do this in an effort to extend the support arm to the end of the 20" float tube--

In my opinion, it gives a bit more leverage to secure the weapon with your primary. You can still drive the support out as far as you like. It will be stronger and be a very smooth functioning system.

Terminator2003
02-03-12, 07:39
It's such idiocy that they require pinning these stocks like the couple of inches of movement somehow makes them more lethal!:rolleyes: I live in MA, so I am dealing with the same issue here. I bought an M&P 15-22 with a pinned MOE, and it was set 2 clicks out, but that was too short for my comfort since I have long arms. I un-pinned it, and moved it to 1 click in from full extension and it was better. However, on my current middy project, I just tested at the range yesterday, and found that I shot it better, and more comfortably fully extended, so I may just pin it there, and re-do my .22.

newyork
02-03-12, 08:10

For me, the Sully stock is perfect for me in length. It just feels perfect. The RRA A2 style entry style is too short and A1 never felt short enough so I have kept the Sully length.

I am 5' 10", skinny, and my arms are not long. I like shooting close to NTCH and put my arm out front. Not super extended though. It seems like 2 clicks from closed on the MOE would be right. Maybe 1 or 2 with the sopmod. I may just buy the lower separate and go with another Sully. Stupid law.

Only pic I have of me shooting. Wish it were from the other side for better view of the stock. This is with a Sully.
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt134/rslamiroult/324902_268635659813381_201698463173768_1134588_773943_o.jpg

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-03-12, 09:05
Why not wait and lay hands on as our physiques vary as do our taste.

Best choice. Where do u live?

newyork
02-03-12, 09:15
Best choice. Where do u live?

Eastern Long Island

Alex V
02-03-12, 10:24
Im about 5-10 and have the MOE's pinned 1 click from full collapsed. I would go full collapsed but then I would not be able to remove the Sling QD from the Noveske end plate lol.

On my SPR I have the ACS pinned 2 or 3 clicks back to get me back a bit from the scope. I may change it to be closer in the near future.

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-03-12, 11:46
Well that's to far away for me to help u. I'm 72" at 220lbs I run all my rifles at the 3 postion.

JW1069
02-04-12, 10:57
I'm not in a free state. I can't have it shipped to my ffls unless pinned already. I agree but, not a possibility here.

There is no law stating the stock needs to be pinned/fixed prior to it being shipped to a FFL. However, the FFL needs to make sure the lower is compliant before he transfers it to you. Most shops offer this service for a fee although there's no reason you couldn't pin it yourself in their shop too. You're on LI, so you're probably familiar with the FFL's who were raided just over a year ago for AWB violations including the question of pinned buttstocks. Those charges were dropped last month so that should put to bed this hysteria of what makes for a legal pinned stock.

For my pinned MOE/CTR's, I prefer one click out from fully closed for rifles tasked for range use/HD. This measures exactly 8" from the end plate to the tip of the butt pad (the normal one, not the enhanced butt pad). If you plan on more of a bench shooter type setup or just have really long gorilla arms, I'd suggest going further out.

newyork
02-04-12, 11:30
Thank you. Very helpful. Local shops that I know of don't offer that. Now that I know that position is 8", I will have the dealer ship it that way.

Terminator2003
02-04-12, 12:11
There is no law stating the stock needs to be pinned/fixed prior to it being shipped to a FFL. However, the FFL needs to make sure the lower is compliant before he transfers it to you. Most shops offer this service for a fee although there's no reason you couldn't pin it yourself in their shop too. You're on LI, so you're probably familiar with the FFL's who were raided just over a year ago for AWB violations including the question of pinned buttstocks. Those charges were dropped last month so that should put to bed this hysteria of what makes for a legal pinned stock.

For my pinned MOE/CTR's, I prefer one click out from fully closed for rifles tasked for range use/HD. This measures exactly 8" from the end plate to the tip of the butt pad (the normal one, not the enhanced butt pad). If you plan on more of a bench shooter type setup or just have really long gorilla arms, I'd suggest going further out.

I agree with this, as it is the same here in MA. The FFL can get it from the manufacturer unpinned, then it is their responsibility to make it compliant prior to transfer. I found this out very recently at my local FFL. They had a new Spikes complete lower for sale (un-pinned), and they told me that they can have it that way, but can't sell it to a MA resident in that configuration, so they would pin it at any length I wanted. I'm sure if you ask your FFL about this option (of having it shipped to them un-pinned), they will do it for you for a nominal fee that way you can feel the rifle, and adjust it to your comfort before they pin it. If they won't do that for you, then find a new FFL.

northern1
02-04-12, 21:02
****in NY
I've been dealing with this all week with my MOE as has my brother with the BCM he got last week. It would be nice if I could take it to the range and actually getter a better feel for things. As opposed to shouldering it in my livingroom, shrugging my shoulders and saying.....yea I guess that works.

But heaven forbid I was found outside in public with something as destructive as an un-pinned telescoping stock.

With that said I've got mine one click back from closed. I had it 3 back originally and didn't like how my cheek rested right on the border between the end of the cheek rest of the stock and the RE

The good news is that if Obama wins or the big city libs get there way I won't even have an AR to worry about eventually :mad:

trauma
02-04-12, 23:03
If shooting with armor, I'll go fully collapsed or 1 click out. If your running the stock all the way out, your body is bladed to take up the length. If your stock is near collapsed length your plates will be more square to your threat leaving your side less exposed.

Russell92
02-06-12, 23:56
Correction to my earlier post, I measured some stocks and if you want to match the Sully stock length I think you'd be closer going 1 click out, instead of 2. Below are some pictures of the various fixed stocks I've tried. It's quite a pain trying to find a good fixed stock that's the right length for me.

Another option to consider is the entry length stock with a 1" buttstock extender. I just replaced my Sully stock with this setup plus an A2 buttplate this weekend and like it so far. It fixes my 2 complaints with the Sully stock, the weight and slippery buttplate. Plus with the A2 buttplate I get storage in the stock.

Ruler doesn't look lined up with back of buttplates, but it is. Measurements are:

Sully stock: 8", a sling endplate adds 1/4"
MOE stock pinned 2 clicks out: 8 3/4". This stock has 2 blind pins on the other side
Entry length w/ 1" extender: 8 1/2"

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q226/Russellgw07/ARstocks1.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q226/Russellgw07/ARstocks2.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q226/Russellgw07/ARstocks3.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q226/Russellgw07/ARstocks4.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q226/Russellgw07/ARstocks5.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q226/Russellgw07/ARstocks6.jpg

rauchman
02-07-12, 08:08
As a fellow resident of a ban state (NJ), thanks for this. Very useful info.