PDA

View Full Version : Were you ever threatened as a suitor with a firearm?

Belmont31R
02-03-12, 02:22
I was...but not directly. Just basically the step dad "showing" me his old and out dated collection. Little did he know I was armed during this "demonstration". He found out pretty quick, though, and opened up right away especially since he was retired AF and I was AD Army at the time. I told my now wife, who I met online, that I was into guns and if that was an issue we shouldn't even date. She replied back that she grew up in rural Indiana and already had her hunters cert. "Ok then....when can we go on a date!?" Just playing around but that was the jist of it.

Just wondering because I kinda got a chuckle out of it at the time, and have twin boys who will be getting into that phase in the next little while. Still young but we have a wide age range here so do any of you plan on this type 'show of force'?

woodandsteel
02-03-12, 04:34
I have daughters. Everyone jokes about me cleaning my guns when suitors come calling. I have a better idea, though. When young men start coming around to see my girls, I am going to be sharpening my knives. I just think that most people have a primordial fear of edged weapons, and what can be done with them.

Evil Colt 6920
02-03-12, 04:45
I have daughters. Everyone jokes about me cleaning my guns when suitors come calling. I have a better idea, though. When young men start coming around to see my girls, I am going to be sharpening my knives. I just think that most people have a primordial fear of edged weapons, and what can be done with them.

I agree that a knife works just as well in this scenario. While I am not a father, I do have a sister 12 years younger than myself. Theres something about a razor sharp full tang katana thats instills fear in would be boyfriends. Seems like Im always applying fresh oil to the blade when she brings some dude over :)

QuietShootr
02-03-12, 07:28
From the other side of that issue - all you're doing is making sure a guy like me (or like I was, at that age) is going to be jackhammering your precious daughter like an oil rig, and sooner rather than later. You may think you're scaring the guy, but whatever fear you think you might be instilling is far outweighed by what you're doing to your daughter, because everybody knows the last time a daddy shot her daughter's boyfriend for ****ing her was...oh....half past never unless you live in a ghetto or a trailer park.

I loved freshman girls with insanely strict parents when I was in college.

C-grunt
02-03-12, 07:37
My ex girlfrriends father tried that. It backfired on him when he found out I knew more about and had more guns than him.

Watrdawg
02-03-12, 07:38
My daughter is 11 now and she's all tomboy. She's been hunting with me since she was 3. I think I'll have any boys coming to the house just happen to come by when she's skinning a deer. When they see her doing that I'll tell them that if they get any "ideas" about having their way with my daughter she has my permission to skin them just like the deer she's skinning now!! :D

Buckaroo
02-03-12, 08:30
Once took my daughter's dirtbag boyfriend to lunch. told him how important my daughter was to me and that I felt it was my duty to look after not only her welfare but that of her suitors as well.

Told him that I wanted that best for both of them.

He never called again, never knew I was armed, just an involved father.

She is married now to a guy who thinks the world of her. when they were getting engaged I told him that he was "marrying me" and that he needed to court me as well.

Seems to have worked in this one situation.

QuietShootr
02-03-12, 08:47
Once took my daughter's dirtbag boyfriend to lunch. told him how important my daughter was to me and that I felt it was my duty to look after not only her welfare but that of her suitors as well.

Told him that I wanted that best for both of them.

He never called again, never knew I was armed, just an involved father.

She is married now to a guy who thinks the world of her. when they were getting engaged I told him that he was "marrying me" and that he needed to court me as well.

Seems to have worked in this one situation.

Interesting. When I got engaged to my wife, I explained to her (divorced) parents that they were now finished telling her what to do, and if either of them ever attempted to interfere in my marriage that they would be cut out of our lives immediately, or their daughter would be returned to them forthwith, depending on her choice.

It's worked well for 12 years so far. My MIL sniffs around like she wants to cause trouble every once in a while, but I remind her of that conversation and that I still mean it, and she ****s right off. FIL has never attempted to violate boundaries.

CarlosDJackal
02-03-12, 10:01
This reminds me of Bill Engvall's routine:

I'm going to pull him in tight next to me so only he and I can hear the conversation. And I'm gonna say to him, "Boy, look at me. You see that little girl right there? She's my only little girl, man. She's my life. So if you have any . . . thoughts . . . about huggin', or . . . kissin', you remember these words: 'I've got no problem going back to prison.'

QuietShootr
02-03-12, 10:22
This reminds me of Bill Engvall's routine:

I'm going to pull him in tight next to me so only he and I can hear the conversation. And I'm gonna say to him, "Boy, look at me. You see that little girl right there? She's my only little girl, man. She's my life. So if you have any . . . thoughts . . . about huggin', or . . . kissin', you remember these words: 'I've got no problem going back to prison.'

Go Bill! You aren't doing a thing but ensuring I'm gonna be balls-deep in your little princess by midnight.

montanadave
02-03-12, 10:38
Preacher's daughters, Mormon girls, "daddy's girls" ... all generally considered a "target rich environment" back in the day. It may have been forty years ago but the memories linger. :lol:

montanadave
02-03-12, 10:42
Go Bill! You aren't doing a thing but ensuring I'm gonna be balls-deep in your little princess by midnight.

My, but you do know how to turn a phrase. :haha:

I recall a buddy of mine's dad talking about sons and daughters. "Ya got a teenage boy, you stay up worrying about one little prick. Ya got a teenage daughter, ya stay up worryin' about every prick in town."

Honu
02-03-12, 12:02
raise them to defend themselves and the dad wont need to :)

fact is I do know some dads that kicked the crap out of some kids big time for being a jerk to their kids when I was in HS

like my brother would say dont threaten them with a gun or weapon threaten them with the law and just mention you do something to my kid you should not I will drag you through the legal system and having a girl accuse a guy of rape does not go well against the boy !!!!
my brother is a lawyer by the way :)

kids wont need to fear the dad they would need to fear the brother thats often how it was when I grew up
I know a few of those that happened

to me its the disrespect not kid play that takes action !

HES
02-03-12, 12:38
I have daughters. Everyone jokes about me cleaning my guns when suitors come calling...

LOL, you do that too? I have a whole routine set up. I "get to know" the lad while I am cleaning a weapon. The "interrogation" ends with me doing a functions check on the weapon and wishing him well on his date with my daughter.

Thing is that both daughters were tough as nails. However I fear for anyone that dates my younger daughter. She is more than likely to just leave an empty husk in her wake.

From the other side of that issue - all you're doing is making sure a guy like me (or like I was, at that age) is going to be jackhammering your precious daughter like an oil rig, and sooner rather than later. You may think you're scaring the guy, but whatever fear you think you might be instilling is far outweighed by what you're doing to your daughter, because everybody knows the last time a daddy shot her daughter's boyfriend for ****ing her was...oh....half past never unless you live in a ghetto or a trailer park.

I'm a realist. I have raised my daughters in a certain way. Despite that they are still free thinking individuals and may chose to sleep with someone. Short of locking them up in a tower for their hair to grow out there ain't much that I can do about that except make sure that they are very careful. Like I said, I'm a realist.

My intent is to make it crystal clear that should they harm my daughter, I will come down upon him like a vengeful, angry, and petty god. At that point they better pray that they get picked up by the Sheriff's office before I get to them. By harm I mean mentally or physically harming either of my girls.

Oh and it has happened where a lad "stepped out of line" once. His father was a police officer. He and I spoke and we both did a number on the boy. Then we called the Sherrif's office and had him picked up. Poor kid sure liked falling down stairs a lot.

QuietShootr
02-03-12, 12:49
LOL, you do that too? I have a whole routine set up. I "get to know" the lad while I am cleaning a weapon. The "interrogation" ends with me doing a functions check on the weapon and wishing him well on his date with my daughter.

Thing is that both daughters were tough as nails. However I fear for anyone that dates my younger daughter. She is more than likely to just leave an empty husk in her wake.

I'm a realist. I have raised my daughters in a certain way. Despite that they are still free thinking individuals and may chose to sleep with someone. Short of locking them up in a tower for their hair to grow out there ain't much that I can do about that except make sure that they are very careful. Like I said, I'm a realist.

My intent is to make it crystal clear that should they harm my daughter, I will come down upon him like a vengeful, angry, and petty god. At that point they better pray that they get picked up by the Sheriff's office before I get to them. By harm I mean mentally or physically harming either of my girls.

Oh and it has happened where a lad "stepped out of line" once. His father was a police officer. He and I spoke and we both did a number on the boy. Then we called the Sherrif's office and had him picked up. Poor kid sure liked falling down stairs a lot.

Clearly not the same thing, and you know it. I know every dad likes to think their little angels don't want to do anything other than go to a movie and share an ice cream sundae, but that isn't always (or even usually) the case.

Raven Armament
02-03-12, 12:55
As a father of an 8mo daughter, I'm not going to be cliche about it. There won't be stupid innuendos when I meet him for the first time, etc. He should know what's expected of him. If he ****s up, he will enter a world of pain no human should have to endure. I'm not one to puff out my chest, but when it's time to knuckle up, shit's about to get real ugly real fast.

Wiggity
02-03-12, 12:57

gross :bad:

Wiggity
02-03-12, 13:04
I know every dad likes to think their little angels don't want to do anything other than go to a movie and share an ice cream sundae, but that isn't always (or even usually) the case.

This.

Women are just as horny as men (possibly even hornier) and have sexual needs as well. I know from first-hand experience.

BrianS
02-03-12, 13:40
I know from first-hand experience.

LOL... This is perhaps one of the funniest comments in a thread full of funny comments.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-03-12, 13:49
No matter how "hard" and scary you try to be as a father, your daughter will still be the one to make the choice of spreading her legs or not. A boy is a boy, he will **** when the opportunity arises.

If my FIL had been cleaning a gun or sharpening a knife when I came in, I wouldve thought it was the most cliche thing in the world and had a good inner-chuckle.

My FIL doesnt own any guns, but his greatest weapon against me was forbidding me to see his daughter, so I played the game and made a grand show of it all. But, we were teenagers and we did what teenagers do, had sex when our parents thought we were at football/volleyball practice....

I dont intend on trying to pull some country song cliche with my daughter's boyfriends. Sit down with them, get to know him first, let him know how special she is to you and that you expect him to be a perfect gentleman. Pull her aside and tell her you expect her to be a lady. Beyond that you have no control. Even a daughter raised right according to the textbooks and bible can still have urges to ****, and if the right boy is there then magic may happen.

SteyrAUG
02-03-12, 15:08

Along those lines I usually never met the father until long after I was already banging his daughter. In many cases the parents never even knew my name.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-03-12, 18:08
Stopping kids from screwing around is impossible. Putting the fear of God if he gets overly fresh or boorish is another matter.

Guns, knives or a serious demeanor are all fine. A peak in the garage at a shovel and a bag of lime shows vengeance and forethought.

It's not the dads that get the work done, that is what uncles are for.

SteyrAUG
02-03-12, 18:21
Stopping kids from screwing around is impossible. Putting the fear of God if he gets overly fresh or boorish is another matter.

Guns, knives or a serious demeanor are all fine. A peak in the garage at a shovel and a bag of lime shows vengeance and forethought.

It's not the dads that get the work done, that is what uncles are for.

Honestly, if some of the fathers would have tried to have the talk or clean a gun in front of me I would have had pretty much the same reaction as LSHD.

There were a few fathers I knew not to play any games with, and it wasn't because they cleaned a gun in front of me. And all it really did was make me exercise additional discretion.

Honu
02-03-12, 20:58
Clearly not the same thing, and you know it. I know every dad likes to think their little angels don't want to do anything other than go to a movie and share an ice cream sundae, but that isn't always (or even usually) the case.

Don't know about that ?
I knew a lot of gals like that we're smart enough to know how to handle guys without spreading their legs ? People knew who the sluts were and knew the nice girls were

Again it's how you raise them and who you are that shapes kids a lot

BCmJUnKie
02-03-12, 21:24

This is true to the "T", I know it all too well because I did the same exact thing.

He was a roofing foreman and I worked on his crew, he called his daughter, my girlfriend , His princess!!

He did the same thing to me and always told me about his gun collection, he didn't know I had more than him.

It never for one second deterred me...in fact quite the opposite.

I always laugh when I hear guys talk about it.

I respect what they are doing, but it falls upon deaf ears

RogerinTPA
02-03-12, 21:53
I admit it appears to have been a veiled threat, but since it was a feeble attempt, I wouldn't take it personal. It's like being threatened by a fabled unicorn.:jester: I would have been smirking the entire time. You should show him your firearms stash and some training vids you've appeared on. It will have a greater impact on his psyche.;)

rojocorsa
02-03-12, 21:58
Being that I'm on the younger side, I'd love for this to happen to me--only for shits and giggles and perhaps a chance to shoot the shit about guns and break the ice a little. But mostly for shits and giggles. :secret:

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-03-12, 22:42
Don't know about that ?
I knew a lot of gals like that we're smart enough to know how to handle guys without spreading their legs ? People knew who the sluts were and knew the nice girls were

Again it's how you raise them and who you are that shapes kids a lot

Lol, I hate to burst your bubble, but the "nice girl" aspect still doesnt matter, and it really doesnt matter how she was raised in the long run either. I went to a private christian high school, where most girls were the nice girls whose parents had been doing their absolute best to raise them up to be Godly women. In the end, they fell in love and gave it up, just like most other girls do. LIke I said, kids are kids are kids, and when given ample opportunity to screw, well, thats what they'll do. I'm not saying that your kids are like this, or that all kids are, just that all anyone can do is try to do right by your kids and hope to God that they do right by themselves. Sometimes they make mistakes, but thats the nature of learning.

Kfgk14
02-04-12, 10:54
My first date with my wife was the range, and upon arrival at said range my FIL was polishing his Smith and Wesson .357.
my now-wife was still in the truck when I walked up to her dad, introduced myself and shook his hand. So, after the various formalities, your daughter's real special, et cetera, he says, "this is a Smith-"
"and Wesson .357 Magnum revolver. Four inch barrel. Very nice handgun, man."

Years later, after a trip to that same range him, we were conversing over a pair of Woodchucks. He told me the game plan was intimidation that day, but me being a concealed carrier and avid marksman gave him a good impression, so he stepped back.

Now, other girlfriends' folks had tried the "Watch it or else" approach, and it didn't work well enough to keep my reckless youth away from them...

Wiggity
02-05-12, 12:18
Now, other girlfriends' folks had tried the "Watch it or else" approach, and it didn't work well enough to keep my reckless dick away from them...

Fixed. Lol

J-Dub
02-05-12, 12:52
Negative. My FIL was straight up with me, and what he expected out of me.

I go hunting with him all the time and i'd say our relationship is great. C

GIJew766
02-05-12, 12:52
I've been threatened. Quite a few times. I was the black sheep of a prominent family back in Mount Pleasant, and had my fair share of shake ups with angry fathers. Like the good man said before me, you ain't doing nothing but making it more likely that after I get my fill of your daughter's naughty bits, I'm out like a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest.

As my father said to my ex-fiance back when we first moved, "He's the kind of guy your mother warned you about."

Honor First (Irony not intended)

H

HES
02-05-12, 16:12
Well like I said, I had the talk in regards to protecting my daughter. Not her virtue, but her physical safety. That to me is the same thing. I just realize that this is a different time. I am a realist.

Kfgk14
02-05-12, 19:45
Fixed. Lol

Oh, you caught me :D

Wiggity
02-05-12, 20:11
Don't know about that ?

Haha at first I thought you were talking about blowjobs

Axcelea
02-05-12, 22:26
Never had it happen before and haven't done it before (bachelor not to mention daughters would be to young if I had them).

Seems kinda stupid in my opinion though. Kind of a chase off the weaklings (people your daughter might actually be able to handle all on her own anyway) and leaving her with the more hardened individuals giving the only options of an tougher honorable person or an undesired she won't be able to handle. Seems to me it cuts down the field to say 50/50 that there could be trouble instead of 75/25 with 25 being the trouble factor.

My experiences of meeting said daddies (just coming up in conversation that they do or will do it) has so far just given me chuckles. Suppose there can also be the possibility that it is a ruined tactic because to many clowns bring exposure to this tactic causing its effect to be diminished.