PDA

View Full Version : Field of View, "Tube Effect" a Training Issue?

twd
02-03-12, 05:17
Getting back to the AR platform after a long departure and working through the optics choices. I have a 14.5 inch BCM that I bought primarily for HD. Obviously, the probability of actually having to use it for HD is very, very low, and it will used on the range and courses and such, but I prefer not to compromise its capabilities for its intended purpose. As I consider the Aimpoint (set it and forget it), Eotech (large sight picture) and 1-4x (versatility) options, I am concerned about getting "sucked into the scope" so to speak, due to my own natural tendencies.

Back in my brief time in the National Guard in the 90's I would tend to have a bit of tunnel vision on the qualifying range and miss some chances to shoot the closer, peripheral pop-up targets, while doing a pretty good job on the more distant ones. An obvious training issue that I never really straightened out. Over the years, my nondominant eye has dropped to 20/40 while my dominant eye is still a decent 20/25. This has not helped my peripheral vision and I rarely use glasses or contacts as its not yet worth the hassle for the minimal benefit I receive from them. (Right eye does most of the work.)

I recently purchased a cheap Chinese knockoff of the T-1 to practice sighting with both eyes open and see if that size of rds would work for me. Unfortunately, I find myself being somewhat drawn into the sight. I am wondering if a larger Aimpoint PRO or Eotech would help reduce this tendency. The Eotech and the new Trijicon SRS boast of their great field of view. I am wondering with my eyesight if I would be better served by one of these as opposed to an Aimpoint Micro or one of the 1-4x options. Or is this just purely a training issue that I need to work through?

I realize the chicom is probably not a good substitute for an Aimpoint micro. The "dot" looks like the profile of a spider and it won't zero for anything. But it is similar in size and I was hoping it would give me an idea of the field of view I could expect.

(I reserve the right to exaggerate my military experience in future posts and correct others when their opinions conflict with my internet wisdom ;))

rob_s
02-03-12, 05:36
In what settings have you been using the cheap optic?

Evil Colt 6920
02-03-12, 05:44
Sounds like an Eotech with a magnifier behind it on a quick flip mount might help you. This is currently my favorite setup. I like having no magnification and great field of view with the option of magnification quickly available if I need it.

wahoo95
02-03-12, 06:46
I never quite understood the whole field of view thing with red dots. Seems to me that field of view is more important when looking through an optic more like a scope rather than both eyes open on a red dot. Course it may not make sense to me because I'm left eye dominant right hand shooter.....who knows.

I say try them all to see what works best for you. Also try them in some shoot in move type scenarios rather than simply sitting at the bench which tends to draw your eyes into looking through the tube.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

markm
02-03-12, 06:59
I'm doubtful that the larger optic will help.

I've found the smaller one to actually be better about this.

twd
02-03-12, 09:28
Thanks for the responses.

The problems with my current optic occur pretty much across the board, but more pronounced on the higher settings. I initially wrote it off as a function of my mild astigmatism, but my wife's perfect eyes pick up the same pattern.

I was hoping for an easy solution, a quick buy that would turn me into a stud shooter, but I should have known better. This site seems to value training, practice, work and such. I'll probably cruise the EE for something else and work some more on my technique. Thanks again.

JSantoro
02-03-12, 13:25
If the opportunity is available to you (range/venue rules, mostly), force your off-eye to do more of the work by occluding the optic.

If it doesn't have lens covers, tape the objective. Ergo, the eye immediately behind the optic won't be able to see anything but the dot. This encourages (actually, prettry much forces...) you to threat-focus with the eye away from the ocular lens. Dot will still be visible; float it over your target, manipulate trigger. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Reactive targets help you do proof-of concept, so you can prove to yourself it's working. We'd use sandbags on a stand if we couldn't get steel (puff of dirt emits, doesn't get masked by being on the ground; easy to construct). Then, go to paper, do it to distance if possible. Ocasionally remove the occlusion and shoot as you normally would, to see if you get better.

If you see improvement, wean yourself, but go back to that sort of practice if you see any indications of backsliding.

It CAN work, and it usually does, but it's not a universal solution. Saw very good success withit while training Trijicon optics, and it works even better on true RDSs bacause of the lack of magnification.

twd
02-03-12, 16:06
Thanks for the tips on occluded shooting. I'm pretty sure I can incorporate this to a substantial degree into my practice at the local range.

Follow up searches on occluded shooting bring up some interesting topics on phoria. Apparently the phoria rapidly disappears when the obstruction is removed giving the shooter an enhanced sense of clarity? Probably an oversimplification on my part, but I do plan to use the suggested technique.

Are RDS users making 100 yard shots with both eyes open, or are they reverting to one eye?

JohnnyC
02-03-12, 17:19
Are RDS users making 100 yard shots with both eyes open, or are they reverting to one eye?

Do it all the time. Just for clarification, you're focusing on the target with both eyes open correct? I find that when I take friends shooting who are new to shooting with a red dot they try and focus on the dot as opposed to the target, and have trouble adapting both to both eyes open shooting, and the red dot in general.