PDA

View Full Version : Pmag generations?

Sticks
02-03-12, 05:32
I just picked up a 10pk of 30 round mags off a group buy locally, and the dust covers on these attach to the bottom/floor plate, whereas the other 8 that I bought in the last 3 months do not.

How does one identify the different generations of Pmags, and is there a reliability issue with the various gens?

Evil Colt 6920
02-03-12, 05:47
I am also curious about this. Some of mine have black followers while others are gray:confused:

skullworks
02-03-12, 05:52
Latest generation (pre M3) will let the dust covers attach to the bottom of the floor plate. This might be the case with more than one generation though. Dozer would know.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

R0CKETMAN
02-03-12, 06:24
Is it still recommended to keep cover on loaded mags to prevent feed lip spreading? All gens?

skullworks
02-03-12, 06:41
Though it's from 2009:

WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THE IMPACT COVER?
When mounted, the impact cover provides protection to the magazine in three ways: it guards against dirt, dust or debris; it relieves upward pressure on the feed lips from the loaded rounds; and it serves to protect the feed lips from direct impact damage when a magazine is dropped. The cover also serves as a tool to assist in disassembling, unloading and field gauging the condition of the feed lips. In addition, the impact cover may snap into place on the bottom of the PMAG for storage.

WHAT ARE THE ISSUES AFFECTING LONG-TERM STORAGE?
The PMAG™ was designed for long-term loaded storage with the impact cover in place. First, the impact cover prevents feed lip creep (when stored over 1 year). Second, the high-quality, heat-treated, stainless steel spring resists spring relaxation (weakening over time). Note: Spring relaxation occurs in all springs under prolonged loading. Spring design, material, quality of manufacture, magnitude of compression, temperature and many other variables can affect spring relaxation rates. Testing has shown the spring used in the PMAG™ does not experience detrimental levels of relaxation from prolonged compression.

HOW DOES THE IMPACT COVER IMPROVE LONG TERM LOADED STORAGE RELIABILITY?
The impact cover locks into geometry on the front and back of the magazine exterior and presses down on the top round of the loaded stack. This redirects the pressure from the rounds that would normally deform plastic feed lips over time and cause magazine-related failures-to-feed.
More info here: PMAG Product Guide (http://store.magpul.com/downloads/PMAG%20-%20Product%20Guide%20090430_BETA.pdf)