PDA

View Full Version : Forgive the question.............

old grunt
02-03-12, 10:20
Unfortunately, I do NOT get on the site that often, so FORGIVE me if this has been asked and answered already. Finally, getting the "GO" from the wife to get an AR. I want a Colt, as I own two 1911's and just want to go that way. Can you give me a quick difference between the following 3 models:
AR6720; LE6920 and the SP6920. I assume ALL Colts are chambered for 5.56 NATO as opposed to .223 Remington. I want a basic Carbine configuration that I can build on over time. Thanks for any info.

DonnyV
02-03-12, 10:33
I purchased an LE 6920, about a year and a half ago, and have been 100% happy with it.
The price seemed right to me at around $1,000 and it ran like a champ right out of the box. I've put about 3k rounds through it and have not had a problem. I do clean and lube after each shooting session.

jonconsiglio
02-03-12, 10:40
The 6920 LE and SP are the same models, just different roll marks. They no longer have the LE Restricted designation. They then made one with a Sporter roll mark for a short time then went to M4 Carbine, which is available, or about to be available, now. The Sporter was a very short lived version.

The new M4 Carbine marked 6920's will have an LE designation and also say Colt Defense and not Colt Manufacturing (or whatever it was). It's the exact same rifle though, just the markings are different.

The only difference between the 6720 and 6920 is the 6720 has a lightweight barrel. It soon will have the M4 Carbine roll marks as well, but currently has the restricted LE markings. It also comes with a MaTech rear sight instead of a carry handle. All else is the same.

I'll edit with a link for you in a minute.

nml
02-03-12, 10:41
LE6920 = SP6920 + different markings
6920 = govt profile + carry handle
6720 = pencil barrel + matech rear sight

C4IGrant
02-03-12, 10:41
Unfortunately, I do NOT get on the site that often, so FORGIVE me if this has been asked and answered already. Finally, getting the "GO" from the wife to get an AR. I want a Colt, as I own two 1911's and just want to go that way. Can you give me a quick difference between the following 3 models:
AR6720; LE6920 and the SP6920. I assume ALL Colts are chambered for 5.56 NATO as opposed to .223 Remington. I want a basic Carbine configuration that I can build on over time. Thanks for any info.

Good questions.

AR6720 (Pencil barrel, flattop with a 600M Matech)
LE6920 (Traditional M4 profiled barrel, flattop with a carry handle)
SP6920 (Same as above, but MAY have the word SPORTER written on the receiver and NO LE Only restrictions written on the receiver).

All are chambered in 5.56.

My personal choice is the AR6720. It is about 5-6 ounces lighter, has a pretty good flip up rear sights (so is scope or RDS ready).

We have them in stock (at a pretty good price): http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6720

Good luck!

C4

nml
02-03-12, 10:43
I was going to throw up some links for you but colt's consumer website sucks compared to their military one; similar to their product offerings.

C4IGrant
02-03-12, 10:46
I was going to throw up some links for you but colt's consumer website sucks compared to their military one; similar to their product offerings.

Just so I don't misunderstand you, are you saying that Colt's AR's suck???

C4

devilsdeeds
02-03-12, 10:49
misread...

C4IGrant
02-03-12, 10:50
He's saying that their commercial website sucks.

I am not so sure as he said "Product Offerings" at the end.

C4

jonconsiglio
02-03-12, 10:52
No need for the links now and it was just explained again...

I was going to order a 6920 from Grant (poster above) but he was out. I really don't care about roll marks but given the choice I would have rather not had the LE restricted markings. Anyway, I didn't want to wait, so I order a 6720 (Lithtweight with LE markings) and I'm perfectly happy with it. I just picked it up the other day. Great service as always from Grant, even though I always annoy him with stupid questions and requests.

My reasoning is that I need another SBR'd lower and I prefer Colt if I'm married to it for a long time since they're very consistent and use the best lower parts as well as bolt carrier group. So, it was nly a couple hundred more to order a complete rifle than a lower and bolt carrier group. The barrel was really an afterthought.

I decided I'd likely keep the upper and throw an MOE handguard on it or maybe a Centurion eventually, pop it on an extra Noveske lower and keep it for the wife and kids. Wishful thinking, but my wife enjoyed it last time and wants to go more often. My 6 year old daughter blew my mind with how well she shoots an AR and loves it. My son is still too young though.

Sorry for the long post man!

jonconsiglio
02-03-12, 10:55
I think he was saying Colt commercial ARs (1:9 barrels, for example) and commercial website aren't as good as the 1:7 military/LE rifles or the military/LE website.

Noodles
02-03-12, 10:58
Oh no he didn't! How dare someone have a differing opinion!!! :D

jonconsiglio
02-03-12, 11:00
I don't know that I've ever even looked at their site and am pretty sure I've never handled one of the rifles from the commercial side beside my 70's SP1... And I'm not even sure they had other sides then.

C4IGrant
02-03-12, 11:02
I think he was saying Colt commercial ARs (1:9 barrels, for example) and commercial website aren't as good as the 1:7 military/LE rifles or the military/LE website.

Colt commercial offers the same guns as the LE side. We are a Colt Commercial Distr. and can get all the same guns as an LE Distr.

C4

C4IGrant
02-03-12, 11:03
Oh no he didn't! How dare someone have a differing opinion!!! :D

We are all for that here, but be prepared to back it up. ;)

C4

Dos Cylindros
02-03-12, 11:07
I think he was just making a reference to the fact that traditionally, Colt has had a more focus approach toward .mil sales than civilian. I know they have made great strides in changing that of late, I don't think he was taking a shot at their quality.

45auto
02-03-12, 11:22
Colt commercial offers the same guns as the LE side. We are a Colt Commercial Distr. and can get all the same guns as an LE Distr.

C4
When will you have more 6920's or 6940's available for sale? :confused:

C4IGrant
02-03-12, 11:25
When will you have more 6920's or 6940's available for sale? :confused:

Very soon I am told.

C4

jonconsiglio
02-03-12, 12:02

C4

I'm somewhat aware of that, I was just trying to decipher his comment about products and website.

Even though the commercial and LE/mil rifles are made to the same specs, there is a 1:9 barrel, right?

As far as quality though, there's no difference between any Colt models from what I understand, correct?

nml
02-03-12, 13:09
I meant if they sold the R0977 no one would buy the SP6920. :D Not their choice, isn't directed at Colt, everyone read a little too much into it (and that is my fault). To clarify, if I needed a complete rifle with a 16" barrel and carbine gas, Colt would be my only choice. If I had a request letter, Colt would be my choice again. :)

C4IGrant
02-03-12, 13:20
I'm somewhat aware of that, I was just trying to decipher his comment about products and website.

Even though the commercial and LE/mil rifles are made to the same specs, there is a 1:9 barrel, right?

As far as quality though, there's no difference between any Colt models from what I understand, correct?

They do offer some in the 1/9 twist. They also offer all the LE guns as well (which is how I get mine).

All Colt AR's are made by Colt Defense (so all the same no matter if you are a .Mil customer, LE customer or Joe 6 Pack).

C4

Artos
02-03-12, 15:20
Good questions.

AR6720 (Pencil barrel, flattop with a 600M Matech)
LE6920 (Traditional M4 profiled barrel, flattop with a carry handle)
SP6920 (Same as above, but MAY have the word SPORTER written on the receiver and NO LE Only restrictions written on the receiver).

All are chambered in 5.56.

My personal choice is the AR6720. It is about 5-6 ounces lighter, has a pretty good flip up rear sights (so is scope or RDS ready).

We have them in stock (at a pretty good price): http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6720

Good luck!

C4

Grant,

sent your link to a friend who was looking for a reasonable priced Colt and told him I like this one for what he needs...he already has my ffl & should be contacting you shortly.

Thanks for posting it up...neat gun.

Paul

C4IGrant
02-03-12, 16:27
Grant,

sent your link to a friend who was looking for a reasonable priced Colt and told him I like this one for what he needs...he already has my ffl & should be contacting you shortly.

Thanks for posting it up...neat gun.

Paul

Thanks much Paul, we appreciate it!

C4

old grunt
02-03-12, 18:54
[B]Thanks for the Colt education guys!:smile: I like the M4 our Uncle assigned me for OIF(sure beat the M16A1 I had back in my 82d days!)so wanted to stick with a carbine configuration. I don't plan on hanging anything but a SureFire light and a small(thinking MagPul)vertical grip,so I can live with two small rail pieces for that as opposed to a 4 sided rail set-up.That's why the oval handguards are ok with me. Thinking either a T1 Micro Aimpoint or an EOTECH..not sure yet. Like my Harley and my two Colt 1911's..this rifle will have KISS-simple changes done over time. NOW I wait for the final "go get it now" from my HH6. Hope it's soon!:dance3:

Casull
02-03-12, 19:08
Isn't colt coming out with a piston AR that will be available in Coyote Bronze? also, I did hear they were going to stop doing the complicated roll marks and have it just plain say "M4" or "AR-15" ect...

In other words, there's probably more options coming soon. For sure with the SP/CM901

old grunt
02-05-12, 08:32
One last question.....is there any disadvantage,practically speaking,to the "pencil" barrel on the 6720? I don't expect burning through 500-1000 rounds at every shooting session so I would assume the lighter barrel should be a non-issue. THANKS guys!:D

gan1hck
02-05-12, 08:48
my 6720 came with MBUS front and rear sights rather than the Matech.

It also has quad rails on it.

Toyoland66
02-05-12, 08:49
[B]Thanks for the Colt education guys!:smile: I like the M4 our Uncle assigned me for OIF(sure beat the M16A1 I had back in my 82d days!)so wanted to stick with a carbine configuration. I don't plan on hanging anything but a SureFire light and a small(thinking MagPul)vertical grip,so I can live with two small rail pieces for that as opposed to a 4 sided rail set-up.That's why the oval handguards are ok with me. Thinking either a T1 Micro Aimpoint or an EOTECH..not sure yet. Like my Harley and my two Colt 1911's..this rifle will have KISS-simple changes done over time. NOW I wait for the final "go get it now" from my HH6. Hope it's soon!:dance3:

Check out impact weapon components for light mounts that do not require attaching a rail section to your for end. If you run MOE hand guards there are even more options, and also the MVG vertical grip that attaches directly to the hand guard.

Todd00000
02-05-12, 10:20
One last question.....is there any disadvantage,practically speaking,to the "pencil" barrel on the 6720? I don't expect burning through 500-1000 rounds at every shooting session so I would assume the lighter barrel should be a non-issue. THANKS guys!:D

It's just a little lighter, it's the old barrel profile from the M-16; if you didn't mind the weight of the M4 the civilian 16 inch version you'll like it just fine. I love mine, have it set up like my M4.
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e130/toddgriffin00/005-2.jpg

sdacbob
02-05-12, 10:29
Is the 6720 1/9 or 1/7 twist?

C4IGrant
02-05-12, 11:38

No and is what I prefer.

C4

C4IGrant
02-05-12, 11:40
Is the 6720 1/9 or 1/7 twist?

1/7.

C4

maddawg5777
02-05-12, 12:47

The only problem would be if you were shooting full auto which your not, so it will be GTG. On a side note i have a LW profile rifle and i beat the piss out of it and its still shoots as good as day one.

old grunt
02-06-12, 09:30
Thought so....like the set-ups you guys have with the 6720 also! Looks like that's the way I'm going!:)

old grunt
05-23-12, 17:09
Stopped at my local shop and picked up a 1000 rds of 9mm FMJ for my G19 as I'm taking a CSAT course in a couple weeks with Paul Howe. While there, I was shown a Daniel Defense carbine, don't know the particular model,but it was a flat-top with iron sights,quad rail forend..typical 16" barrel collapsable stock carbine. The counterman siad it had a cold-hammer froged barrel and was this side of $1200. He claimed you're getting more bang for the buck than a Colt. I know he's trying to make a sale, and the rifle was sharp....but I would assume Colt,DD, and other top-tier "M4-type" manufacturers are probably all similiar. Any thoughts on this? Are you buying a 'name' with a Colt or are these weapons so similiar in quality it comes down to price,availability and,of course,personal preference? Thanks!!!:D

TheBelly
05-24-12, 00:13
Can't go wrong with either Colt or DD. DD has a couple different offerings, based upon what kind of setup you'd like (flip up sights vs fsb, longer rails vs just the tube, carbine vs mid-length gas system)....

Take a look at DD's website and see if there's something that you're interests you.

You won't be disappointed with either Colt or DD.

Iraqgunz
05-24-12, 00:27
Colt is still the standard, but DD is also very good. A selling point would be it's cold hammer forged barrel.

If that was the only difference between the 6920 and the DD, I would probably get the DD.

Stopped at my local shop and picked up a 1000 rds of 9mm FMJ for my G19 as I'm taking a CSAT course in a couple weeks with Paul Howe. While there, I was shown a Daniel Defense carbine, don't know the particular model,but it was a flat-top with iron sights,quad rail forend..typical 16" barrel collapsable stock carbine. The counterman siad it had a cold-hammer froged barrel and was this side of $1200. He claimed you're getting more bang for the buck than a Colt. I know he's trying to make a sale, and the rifle was sharp....but I would assume Colt,DD, and other top-tier "M4-type" manufacturers are probably all similiar. Any thoughts on this? Are you buying a 'name' with a Colt or are these weapons so similiar in quality it comes down to price,availability and,of course,personal preference? Thanks!!!:D

fdxpilot
05-24-12, 01:57
While there, I was shown a Daniel Defense carbine, don't know the particular model,but it was a flat-top with iron sights,quad rail forend..typical 16" barrel collapsable stock carbine. The counterman siad it had a cold-hammer froged barrel and was this side of $1200. He claimed you're getting more bang for the buck than a Colt. I know he's trying to make a sale, and the rifle was sharp....but I would assume Colt,DD, and other top-tier "M4-type" manufacturers are probably all similiar. Any thoughts on this? Are you buying a 'name' with a Colt or are these weapons so similiar in quality it comes down to price,availability and,of course,personal preference? Thanks!!!:D

Daniels makes great rifles. Their real claim to fame, though, is their CHF barrels, and their rail systems. I own a Daniels DDM4V5 LW (midlength gas with 12" rails and a lightweight barrel.) I also own an SP6920 and have another Colt, an LE6920 on the way to my FFL.

My take is if you want a basic Carbine, go with a Colt, either 6920 or 6720. Daniels use to have a very reasonably priced clone, the DDXV, but no longer makes the basic model.

If you want something more elaborate, with some sort of rail system, then the Daniels will be just your cup of tea. While I have my Daniels and a 6.8SPC hunting rifle similarly equipped with Daniels rails, my most recent guns are all more basic with either the Colt M4 handguards or Magpul MOE guards.