PDA

View Full Version : How To Install ITW Fast Mags?

bohemian
02-03-12, 21:31
I feel pretty stupid right now. I have been trying to install these ITW Fastmags to my plate carrer for the past 30 minutes. I have scoured the internet to find out that there is not a single video showing how to install one to a MOLLE vest...

I cannot weave the integrated malice clips through the molle AND tuck the tabs at the same time. What am I doing wrong?

mildot
02-03-12, 21:44
Don't feel bad, I'm still wondering how to un secure the molle strap from the mag? Do you press it under the tab?

bohemian
02-03-12, 22:03
ya, I just use a knife to pry the tab up till it pops off. I don't see how this fast mag fits on two rows of molle. the upper row closest to the tabs does not rest above the molle row causing the malice straps to bend over the molle causing a non flat surface.

bohemian
02-03-12, 23:16
Don't feel bad, I'm still wondering how to un secure the molle strap from the mag? Do you press it under the tab?

Did you figure it out yet? I have four of these sitting here and I am getting antsy in my pantsy. :D

Smash
02-04-12, 06:53
Hey guys, don't try to weave it like you would a nylon MOLLE strap. Just go behind all three rows and pull it over the tab.

It will stay put.

Hmac
02-04-12, 07:26
Hey guys, don't try to weave it like you would a nylon MOLLE strap. Just go behind all three rows and pull it over the tab.

It will stay put.

I have found this to be true - they're plenty solid without weaving. The problem I had with attaching the MOLLE version of the FastMag (Gen II) is that they are so wide that they won't sit right next to each other without binding. I had to skip a loop between them. This may be less of a problem with some brands of MOLLE vests than with others, but they don't fit next to each other on my Tactical Tailor chest rig.

Smash
02-04-12, 08:46
Yeah, I can not comment on running multiple units together. I had one of these MOLLE versions support side on my battle belt as my speed reload and fed it from the pouches on my SPC.

Hmac
02-04-12, 09:41
I use two of the belt-version FastMags on my belt and they work great, and like you I feed them from the chest rig.

http://SSEquine.net/belt2.jpg

Lone_Ranger
02-04-12, 13:27
Took me a while too, til I figured out they come loose from the bottom, not the top, like it looks.

http://youtu.be/lYZOPrQOHzk (About 3:00 in on that video)

bohemian
02-04-12, 15:46
Well, I finally figured it out. I had it right the whole time, it just seemed way too forced. In the end I had to use alot of force to get it to fit. Once it is on though, they aren't going anywhere. I put 4 next to each other. They bind a bit together, but once the carrier is worn it molds to your body and they sit beside each other evenly.

I like them alot. I do find it hard to remove my primary magazine from the most right pouch (lefty) because they are so close together. It is difficult to achieve a beer can grip. We will see with practice.

Failure2Stop
02-04-12, 19:10
Well, I finally figured it out. I had it right the whole time, it just seemed way too forced. In the end I had to use alot of force to get it to fit. Once it is on though, they aren't going anywhere. I put 4 next to each other. They bind a bit together, but once the carrier is worn it molds to your body and they sit beside each other evenly.

I like them alot. I do find it hard to remove my primary magazine from the most right pouch (lefty) because they are so close together. It is difficult to achieve a beer can grip. We will see with practice.

If you can't easily grab your primary reload magazine, your gear is setup incorrectly.
You could alter your grab/reload technique to a more "pistol style" with the index finger on the front edge of the mag, gripping the bottom/bottom 1/3 of the mag, but that's a case of the tail wagging the dog in my opinion.
A little space between you primary rifle reload and the next rifle reload is not a bad thing.