PDA

View Full Version : My LE6920's are finally done (pic)

JoeSixPack
02-04-12, 12:17
My new Centurion C4 7" rails came in yesterday. I decided to replace Centurion C4 carbine cutouts to save a few oz. since I don't plan on mounting anything on my rails.

. factory stocks replaced with LMT SOPMOD. Tried several stocks but the LMT SOPMOD is just the right length at full extension and the cheek weld is perfect.

. factory carry handles and rear sight replaced with Larue fixed BUIS.

. Aimpoint Comp ML3 red dot sights/w Larue mounts. Went with Comp ML3 over M4 to save 2oz. Comp ML3 batteries are also 1/10th the weight of AA batteries in the M4
The Larue COMP ML3 mount has a compartment for a spare battery.

. factory triggers replaced with Geissele SSA triggers.

. factory pistol grips replaced with Hogue rubber grips. Tried Magpul MOE but the Hogue rubber just feels right.

. factory trigger guards replaced with Magpul extended trigger guards.

. factory plastic handguards replaced with Centurion C4 7" Free Floating Rails. I tried a bunch of rails. Non-FF and FF and I definately like the Centurian the best.

Got some KAC RAS 9 rib panels ordered for the rails but I may just use rubber ladder rails to save weight.

My goal with this build was really light weight and good accuracy.

Can't imagine doing much else. Phantom flash suppressors maybe?

I have considered switching to Aimpoint Micro T1s to save a few more oz. but I don't think I could get past not being able to have flip up lens caps.

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=11074&d=1328378031

djmorris
02-04-12, 12:20
Nice clean look for a quadrail. I like it. It's nice to see one that doesn't have a million gizmos hanging off from it, screaming "I DONT NEED ANY OF THIS!!! "

jonconsiglio
02-04-12, 12:45
Looks good, I really like those Centurion rails.

You get used to not having the flip up covers on the T1. I haven't used anything to cover my T1's in the couple years I've owned them. Only on a rare occasion do I put the bikini covers on.

All the glass is still in perfect condition. I liked my larger Aimpoints, but the T1 has all the benefits without any downside.

SpookyPistolero
02-04-12, 15:15
I liked my larger Aimpoints, but the T1 has all the benefits without any downside.

I agree with the above. The Aimpoint mirco series represents evolution, IMO. Excellent sights.

Nice rifle.

Failure2Stop
02-04-12, 15:31
A light is generally a good idea.
There are a few good solutions other than mounting them on the rail.
However, I gotta wonder, if you aren't mounting anything on the rails, why a rail system and not a tube style HG?
I'm not saying anything negative about the Centurion rails (I really like mine), just wondering.

Bonez556
02-04-12, 16:10
Very nice Colt you have there! I put an Aimpoint Micro H-1 on my Daniel Defense M4v5 and I love it! Very strong and SUPER LW, but any Aimpoint product is gonna be a quality optic!

juliomorris
02-04-12, 16:21
Nice very nice. I picked another one up today but it wears MOE furniture.

pira114
02-04-12, 16:32
A light is generally a good idea.
There are a few good solutions other than mounting them on the rail.
However, I gotta wonder, if you aren't mounting anything on the rails, why a rail system and not a tube style HG?
I'm not saying anything negative about the Centurion rails (I really like mine), just wondering.

Was gonna ask the same thing. No offense. I like your set up. Although, I'd add a light. I set mine up for being lightweight as well. And other than a light and sling point, I had no use for rails either. So I went with an MOE. So far so good.

I do sometimes wonder if rails would be a good idea just to have the option of adding something, but I really can't imagine what it would be.

Either way, I'm sure you have an extremely reliable rifle that's fairly lightweight. Just curious.

JoeSixPack
02-04-12, 17:29
Was gonna ask the same thing. No offense. I like your set up. Although, I'd add a light. I set mine up for being lightweight as well. And other than a light and sling point, I had no use for rails either. So I went with an MOE. So far so good.

I do sometimes wonder if rails would be a good idea just to have the option of adding something, but I really can't imagine what it would be.

Either way, I'm sure you have an extremely reliable rifle that's fairly lightweight. Just curious.

The rail is for the added accuracy of free floating the barrel.

TehLlama
02-04-12, 18:36
A weaponlight and sling would make that a brilliantly rounded out fighting weapon - both of which the C4 rail are great for. Plenty of uses for the railed handguards, and those come at a pretty low weight penalty. If they're going unused, then yes, the stock ones or MOE's are smarter.

That marginal accuracy gain rfom it being floated is something that's going to come after the ammunition and in all likelihood trigger are top notch first, and probably require an optic to really get past what a stock 6920 is capable of (which is remarkable in the right hands)

polymorpheous
02-04-12, 19:05
The rail is for the added accuracy of free floating the barrel.

The Troy TRX series is free floated and lighter than the Centurion I believe.

JoeSixPack
02-04-12, 19:40
A weaponlight and sling would make that a brilliantly rounded out fighting weapon - both of which the C4 rail are great for. Plenty of uses for the railed handguards, and those come at a pretty low weight penalty. If they're going unused, then yes, the stock ones or MOE's are smarter.

That marginal accuracy gain rfom it being floated is something that's going to come after the ammunition and in all likelihood trigger are top notch first, and probably require an optic to really get past what a stock 6920 is capable of (which is remarkable in the right hands)

I have Vicker's slings just didn't have it on for the pic.

I'm not a big fan of flashlights on the end of a gun.

If I have to shoot at someone then they are probably shooting at me and I can't think of a better target than a light.

polymorpheous
02-04-12, 19:45

If I have to shoot at someone then they are probably shooting at me and I can't think of a better target than a light.

This is such a bad idea.

ffusaf23
02-04-12, 19:48

There's a lot of info on this site about proper use of weaponlights that will probably change your mind if you search.

Very nice carbine.

JoeSixPack
02-04-12, 20:13
Just a few thoughts more comments on the Centurion C4 rails...

The weakest spot in these rails would be the two small screws that hold the upper and lower half of the rail togather at the front of the rail but that's a given with any 2 piece rails.

I lock tighted them on but if they do loosen then they will fall out and be lost. I'll probably end up putting KAC panels on the rails. These will cover the screws and prevent them from being lost if they come loose.

These screws are also hex head which means if they come loose in the field you are doomed. Flat head would have been better here (+1 to DD Omega).

One other thing... the C4 rails clamp to the barrel nut but when you tighten down the 4 hex bolts they tighten down until the two halfs of the rail touch and it's not like you have to torque them down. They never really tighten up until the rail sections meet.

This concerns me. I worry about the rail loosening up at some point since their will be no way to tighten it up since the upper and lower section of the rail are already touching. I would have felt better if the bolts tightened up before the rail sections met so that I knew the rail was really locked down on the barrel nut.

That said, I don't understand how the C4 locks up on the barrel nut to begin with. There's two slots in the rail that fit over the flange on the barrel nut and that's all I see. It seems to work but I don't understand how.

RichDC2
02-04-12, 23:34
Have you put this rifle and the rails through any classes or hard use to prove your concerns?
Just a few thoughts more comments on the Centurion C4 rails...

The weakest spot in these rails would be the two small screws that hold the upper and lower half of the rail togather at the front of the rail but that's a given with any 2 piece rails.

I lock tighted them on but if they do loosen then they will fall out and be lost. I'll probably end up putting KAC panels on the rails. These will cover the screws and prevent them from being lost if they come loose.

These screws are also hex head which means if they come loose in the field you are doomed. Flat head would have been better here (+1 to DD Omega).

One other thing... the C4 rails clamp to the barrel nut but when you tighten down the 4 hex bolts they tighten down until the two halfs of the rail touch and it's not like you have to torque them down. They never really tighten up until the rail sections meet.

This concerns me. I worry about the rail loosening up at some point since their will be no way to tighten it up since the upper and lower section of the rail are already touching. I would have felt better if the bolts tightened up before the rail sections met so that I knew the rail was really locked down on the barrel nut.

That said, I don't understand how the C4 locks up on the barrel nut to begin with. There's two slots in the rail that fit over the flange on the barrel nut and that's all I see. It seems to work but I don't understand how.

QuickStrike
02-05-12, 05:57
I have Vicker's slings just didn't have it on for the pic.

You're not suppose to leave it on.

http://vickerstactical.com/tactical-tips/tactical-use-of-white-light/

JoeSixPack
02-05-12, 06:50
Have you put this rifle and the rails through any classes or hard use to prove your concerns?

Don't need to. If you tighten a clamp all the way down until the two ends of the clamp (rail) touch then you wouldn't typically expect the object the clamp is clamped around (barrel nut) to be held tight by the clamp.

The fact that the C4 does seem to lock solid to the barrel nut makes me think something else is going on here.

Point is it's hard to trust something you don't understand.