PDA

View Full Version : universal sight tool question

steve--oh
02-04-12, 13:09
Hey gang.
I'm buying myself a couple consolation prizes for when I get back stateside from Kunar, and among those are night sights for a couple of my handguns. Specifically a 1911 and a Smith and Wesson M&P.
Unfortunately I will be residing in Hawaii and good gunsmiths there are literally unheard of. So I will be needing to change the sights out myself.
I'm a reasonably competent dude, put a bad guy downrange of me and eventually I'll either shoot him or scare him until he runs away. However I'm not exactly mechanically inclined (I can assemble an AR15 lower but you'd best believe your receiver will be scratched to shit) and I don't own anything beyond basic hand tools. So I'm thinking of buying a universal sight tool to change these puppies out myself.
Can you gentlemen reccommend one to me?
Thank you in advance.

BillSWPA
02-04-12, 14:41
I have used this one to install or adjust sights on a variety of handguns, including Glock, Kimber, and North American Arms.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=17840/Product/P500-UNIVERSAL-SIGHT-TOOL

IZinterrogator
02-04-12, 16:34
I have the same sight tool. Works great, but a word of advice: keep that sucker bathed in oil between uses, it rusts to shit very easily.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

ImBroke
02-04-12, 17:43
I had that P500 tool and found that the slanted sides of the M&P slide were a pain to work with. Though I didn't use it on a 1911 I would guess it would work just fine as the sides of the slide is flat. When I switched to Glock I bought one of the Glock specific MGM tools from Ameriglo.