PDA

View Full Version : PSA 300 BLK barrels

rsilvers
02-04-12, 13:47
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-16-hammer-forged-chrome-lined-300-aac-barrel.html

E-man930
02-05-12, 09:19
Nice - too bad they don't yet offer them in shorter lengths.
I would like to buy this exact same barrel in 10.5" so I can build a new upper that matches the look and feel of my current SBR upper which has a 10.5" Noveske N4 barrel and Centurion 9" rail.

blacklabel66
02-05-12, 21:32
Hmm, fine print says these barrels will only work suppressed...

rsilvers
02-06-12, 07:16
Well, think of it as a barrel-kit where you can do your own R&D and open the gas port if needed.

steve--oh
02-06-12, 08:16
Well, think of it as a barrel-kit where you can do your own R&D and open the gas port if needed.

because that's just what I want to buy. Will these only work with subsonic rounds suppressed? Because that's fine. But if they'll only work with regular ammo suppressed as well, well that's pretty crappy.

blacklabel66
02-06-12, 11:43
Isn't one of the big advantages of the 300blk supposed to be that you can shoot subsonic, supersonic, suppressed, and un-suppressed in the same barrel without the need for gas adjustment?

rsilvers
02-06-12, 11:49
Yes, that is a big advantage. And it can do that while staying within Colt M4 specs for cyclic rate. But that does not mean everyone cares about that - so each barrel maker does what they think their customers want. There are plenty of choices in barrels, and someone someone who wants a chrome-lined barrel - this is one of the few choices.

BC98
02-06-12, 12:35
Isn't one of the big advantages of the 300blk supposed to be that you can shoot subsonic, supersonic, suppressed, and un-suppressed in the same barrel without the need for gas adjustment?

The barrel maker determines whether the round will function in all of the configurations you mentioned above by using the proper measurements. It's not an indicator of the round, itself.

E-man930
02-06-12, 18:33
I passed on the barrel after realizing the exact same thing, not enough R&D from this manufacturer if they sell this barrel with a disclaimer. Plus that means if they are getting these blanks, a few months later the market should open up and hopefully I can buy a N4 in .300 BLK. That way I won't have to worry about monkeying around with the barrel at my level.

Javelin
02-06-12, 18:41
Noveske states that subsonics may not be reliable in their 10.5" 300BLK uppers but mine has functioned just fine with the 220gr Remington ammo.

I guess there is an inherent risk of the round being underpowered to fully operate the BCG and it is nice that the manufacturer states as such and is honest about it - but I have not witnessed any FTF or malfs because of it.

:D

E-man930
02-06-12, 19:04
Their 10"?
I hope they make a 10.5" just so I can keep my uppers setup the same.

Stickman
02-09-12, 16:30

It is, which makes no sense to me why they would create a barrel which fails to do this. They have taken a small market barrel (though a growing market), and substantially reduced its appeal. Combine that with people who are going to buy the barrel and then get upset because they didn't understand its drawbacks, and all they are looking for is grief IMO.