PDA

View Full Version : DD M4V7

newyork
02-04-12, 17:17
Anyone have the M4V7? What do you think of it? Not finding much on it, probably because its fairly new.

Ratfink
02-04-12, 20:16
There hard to even find BUT i just got lucky and got a DDm4v7 LW and will have it here on tues so ill let you know how it shoots

Greyman09
02-04-12, 20:24
I shot one for the first time on weds. Only put 50 rounds thru it at lunch but feels great. Very good balance. Will have ai longer write up at a later date. All of my DD gear has always been gtg.

FChen17213
02-05-12, 02:51
I really like mine. I've put maybe 3000 rounds through it so it's still new. The MFR Rail feels very solid. It's obviously the same concept as the Troy TRX Extreme/Alpha Rail. I've actually removed all the picatinny sections altogether to get it as narrow as possible. I just put DD Irons on it and a Surefire X300 at 12 O'clock since I'm not using IR. The gun feels very thin and light even though mine has the standard barrel rather than the pencil barrel. It prints pretty well at 100 and 200 yds.

One minor complaint some have is that there's no QD sling swivel attachment. I just use a Magpul low pro sling attachment and it works fine. I'm sure DD is probably working on an attachment point accessory.

I will say this though. When I first got the rifle, it felt slightly rough racking the charging handle and working the action. After a few hundred rounds it smoothed itself out dramatically. Now it feels like ball bearings on glass. I will also say this. I had an early DDV1. That gun felt a little bit smoother when I first got it....at least as far as I remember. There are small subtle things that I see are different. One is that the old V1 had a metal Magpul trigger guard whereas the newer V7 has a Magpul plastic one. Also, the markings on the lowers are a little bit different. In terms of recoil, I can't really tell the difference between my V1 and V7 even though the V7 is supposed to be slightly lighter due to the mid-length gas system.

You will not be disappointed. I think the V7 is the way of the future in terms of the most popular DD rifle. People are starting to realize that you don't need rail everywhere and are embracing the tube rail concept. I would definitely reccommend this rifle.

newyork
02-05-12, 12:43
Excellent. Seems to be exactly what I am looking for. Long hg and no need for all the rails, just a spot for a sling attachment, X300 and sights and T1.

crowkiller
02-05-12, 14:47
One minor complaint some have is that there's no QD sling swivel attachment. I just use a Magpul low pro sling attachment and it works fine. I'm sure DD is probably working on an attachment point accessory.

This looks to be another option. http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/qd-rotation-limited-mount/

newyork
02-05-12, 15:09
Thanks Crowkiller. Looks perfect. Simple minimal solution.

TheJRK
02-05-12, 21:34
This looks to be another option. http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/qd-rotation-limited-mount/

This is what I installed on mine. Simple enough and it seems pretty sturdy.

2theXtreme
02-05-12, 21:37
http://img.tapatalk.com/446808ae-49e1-b123.jpg

I absolutely love mine. Lightweight 14.5. Shoots like a dream. I literally drooled while shooting it for the first time! Anything specific you want to know?

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

PD Sgt.
02-05-12, 22:44
I have been looking really hard at using the MFR for my next upper. Not to hijack, but how is the heat dissipation with heavy use (like a carbine class) compared to more conventional rails (DD lite, eg.).

2theXtreme
02-05-12, 23:06
The dissipation is good. I have run it rapid fire for a couple mags and it was very warm but not too hot to get a firm grip.

newyork
02-06-12, 06:00
I'm either going to get the DD M4V7 or a Colt AR6720 and put the MFR rail on it. Nice gun. Thanks for the help.
Rich

jc000
02-06-12, 08:30
I'm either going to get the DD M4V7 or a Colt AR6720 and put the MFR rail on it. Nice gun. Thanks for the help.
Rich

I'm in the same boat minus the MFR rail and also considering a LW BCM middy with MOE furniture and blem lower.

The DD looks nice and simple.

Ricardus
02-06-12, 08:42
I just got the TALO Colt LT6720-R with the Colt branded 10 inch Troy rail.

newyork
02-06-12, 11:49
I have never heard that about DD. I don't shoot steel cases but usually use M855, IMI 55 gr or Prvi. Any issues with those rounds?

jc000
02-06-12, 12:27
I have never heard that about DD. I don't shoot steel cases but usually use M855, IMI 55 gr or Prvi. Any issues with those rounds?

Please--this is not my personal experience in any way. There were a couple of posts here (which I could not find again through "search") where members had some issues with cheap ammo, Tula being one of them. Someone had posted it could be due to tighter DD tolerances, but as I'm sure you know there could be any number of variables. YMM definitely V. In fact, I am editing my OP as I really don't have anything to back that up with.

2theXtreme
02-06-12, 12:28
I have never heard of any ammo sensitivities from Daniel Defense either. I run 223 and 556 though both of mine a never a single problem beside magazines running out.

Ratfink
02-06-12, 13:36
no issues with any type of ammo whatsoever through mine i havent shot any wolf through it but everything else has ran like a champ and M855 is my most used round and shot about about 500 mk318 mod 0 through it

drck1000
02-06-12, 14:08
I'm interested in a ltwt middy with either a VTAC Extreme Battlerail or DD MFR. I too wondered about how well they handled with the heat under strings of fire for carbine courses and competition. I would think the competition stages wouldn't be a problem with round counts in the 30-40 range. I've never been through a carbine course and I don't currently shoot with gloves. I've heated up my DDM4 with the Omega X rail pretty good a few times, but they have Troy rail covers.

Regarding steel cases with DDM4s, I have had problems with Tulammo with my DDM4 V5. The 55 gr failed to lock back the bolt on an open magazine in a little over half the mags. I had a few FTFs with the 62 gr. I bought the Tulammo just to try steel cased and after experiencing the problems I mentioned above, I got similar feedback from other DDM4 middy users and from DD CS as well. DD CS mentioned that they've had a few DDM4's come back to them where Tulammo was used where the casing was jammed in the chamber and they had to use paint thinner to remove the casing.

FWIW, the same DDM4 users that reported problems with Tulammo have indicated that they have run Wolf ammo through their guns without any problems.

Ratfink
02-06-12, 21:39
good to hear it about the wolf ammo working well i stay away from it not because its steel cased but because its underpowered and i can buy surplus ammo m855 or simular for realitivly cheap if bought in bulk

the mk318 mod 0 is pretty pricy ive got about three thousand rounds of it but am hesitant to shoot it to much due to the cost of more when i can just shoot 62gr green tip all day long cheaply as well as the pmc bronze when ranges whine about the green tip stuff

PD Sgt.
02-07-12, 10:00
The dissipation is good. I have run it rapid fire for a couple mags and it was very warm but not too hot to get a firm grip.

Thanks, it is looking like this will be on my next upper build.

2theXtreme
02-07-12, 10:17
Thanks, it is looking like this will be on my next upper build.

Yeah, it really is a great rail. And although I don't use them, the rail sections are super easy to attach and remove without taking the rail off if your setup calls for them.

Cesiumsponge
02-07-12, 10:52
Any idea if DD will be releasing shorter tubes in the future? I prefer the 12 o'clock x300 light position and with my height, arms, and body structure, stretching to 12" doesn't work well. I've been considering a custom DD LW V5 with the 9" lite but their custom shop isn't currently taking orders. A v7 with a 9-10" tube would be perfect for a weight weenies and weigh less than their shorter, fully railed options

2theXtreme
02-07-12, 11:41
Any idea if DD will be releasing shorter tubes in the future? I prefer the 12 o'clock x300 light position and with my height, arms, and body structure, stretching to 12" doesn't work well. I've been considering a custom DD LW V5 with the 9" lite but their custom shop isn't currently taking orders. A v7 with a 9-10" tube would be perfect for a weight weenies and weigh less than their shorter, fully railed options

I have not heard of anything of the sort but I am not that deep into the industry. I saw nothing at SHOT either. Stop by DD in the industry forum and try your question there.

Also, Daniel Defense isn't the only rail manufacturer. Unless you are sworn to loyalty to them, like I am :), I know Troy has some 9" options out there.

Barnaby
02-07-12, 11:52
I have about 1000 rounds through my V7. Took it to a Vickers intro to Carbine class back in September. I'm very happy with it. 6.8 pounds with the optic and buis.

Cesiumsponge
02-07-12, 12:00
I'm just lazy to be honest and I'm after something turnkey so I don't end up with "box of swapped out parts" syndrome again. I'll drop them a line and see if anything is in the works. I'm getting jealous of all the sub-7lb rifles with optics and lights.

Ratfink
02-07-12, 14:31
i need to weigh mine with optics and buis
i either run a vortex viper hd 1x4 or a aimpoint comp m4s i already had them sitting around so i figured i might as well use em this thing would be super light with a t1 and that dd mount for it

globeguy
02-07-12, 15:52
I've shot 500 rounds of Silver Bear 55grn and 500 rounds 62grn through my DDM4 v1 without any issue.

I will be trying Wolf WPA 62grn soon (these are made in same factory as Silver Bears so I don't forsee any issues).

Skyfire1201
02-07-12, 23:09
I've been very interested in the M4V7 since it's introduction, and have been waiting for the LW version. The only thing I'm trying to figure out is the accuracy of the LW rifle. Those of you who has shot extensively with it, have you measured the accuracy with factory ammo?

2theXtreme
02-08-12, 01:27
I've been very interested in the M4V7 since it's introduction, and have been waiting for the LW version. The only thing I'm trying to figure out is the accuracy of the LW rifle. Those of you who has shot extensively with it, have you measured the accuracy with factory ammo?

I've only tested my LW 14.5 to the extent of it's projected use and it functioned superbly. It is way more accurate then I am out to 50 yards and I am sure well beyond that.

If you are looking for group sizes from 200 yards I'm not going to be able to help, but I can tell you it will shoot as good as the person operating it.

Ratfink
02-08-12, 16:24
Ill post up some groups up tommorow of 300 yards of my LW, mine is extremly accurate the only other rifle i have that is more accurate is my noveske afghan but it is much much heavier and is suited for a different role. The rifle is on par accuracy with my knights sr16 and is more accurate that my sig m400 or my armalite m15, but all this is with me shooting it your resluts may vary.

Headcase650
02-12-12, 15:25
Does any standard mil spec rail fit on the tube? Or do you have to buy extra rail from DD?

2theXtreme
02-12-12, 15:54
Does any standard mil spec rail fit on the tube? Or do you have to buy extra rail from DD?

No. It comes with 3 - 2" rail sections and you have to purchase more from DD if need be.

Ratfink
02-12-12, 17:45
shot about 3-5 inch 5 rd groups with mk318 mod 0 at 300 yards with a 1x4 optic with a sd-e trigger on front and rear bags for support but your results may vary im also trying out the legion firearms bcg in this rifle it shouldnt matter but putting it out there

fireblast713
02-12-12, 18:58
I was debating picking a DDM4 V7 LW up, but I already have a DDM4 V5 LW... so idk how much I really save by "upgrading"

TheJRK
02-12-12, 19:09

Are you referring to the removable rail pieces?

The rail sections have some kind of unique locking mechanism that fit into the inside of the rail.

Ratfink
02-12-12, 21:18
its got a stepped system to lock the rails in its a really smart and secure idea locks up tight and its quick to lock on to the rifle

Ratfink
02-12-12, 21:25
heres a picture of the rails attachment

Headcase650
02-12-12, 21:43
I looked on their site and don't see them listed separately.

Ratfink
02-12-12, 21:49
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee134/Ratfinkfj/Firearms%20and%20Esapi/ddm4v7lwrail.jpg

TheJRK
02-12-12, 21:56
I looked on their site and don't see them listed separately.

The rifle comes with 3, which is 2 more than I needed.

I got the rifle because I was really trying to go as lightweight as possible. I couldn't imagine needing more rail pieces to attach gizmos to. My rifle would probably end up looking like some kind tactical-cactus if I did that.

I'm sure if you contact DD though, they'll sell them to you.

Ratfink
02-12-12, 22:06
i only use 1 myself i run a vert grip on the bottom and buis and light on the top to run mine as light as possible i also was trying to be as light as possible

Skyfire1201
02-13-12, 02:02
shot about 3-5 inch 5 rd groups with mk318 mod 0 at 300 yards with a 1x4 optic with a sd-e trigger on front and rear bags for support but your results may vary im also trying out the legion firearms bcg in this rifle it shouldnt matter but putting it out there

Wow, that's pretty impressive, and why more accurate than my skills. Now I'm even more tempted to get one...

cutamerc
03-20-12, 19:22
Sorry for waking this thread up, but I am a little confuse about the weights listed for the V7 and V5 lightweights. A search did not provide any specific weight info on this site.
I am currently torn between the two, leaning toward the V7. Daniel Defense lists the weight of the v7 LW as 6 pounds, 3.2 ounces.
The v5 LW is listed as 6 pounds, 5 ounces.
I'm good up to this point, my confusion comes when I look at the weights of the rails themselves. The v7 (modular float rail) is listed as
12. 2 ounces. Below this weight on the product page the three rail sections are listed as 1.1 ounces (each I assume). The Omega rail is then listed (in rifle length) at 13.4 ounces.

It would seem that, when adding three rail sections to the m4v7 rail, it would then weigh more than the m4v5? Either way, the Omega rail seems mega light after considering it is a full quad rail. Thank you for reading, I appreciate any light you could shed on the matter.

Clem
03-21-12, 08:50
Not sure if this explanation will come out clear...
If you take a look at these 2 pictures. These are not the specific rails you're talking about, but it shows the difference none the less.
On the quad rail, the rails are built in. So there is less material holding the rails on. On the mono rail, you have to bolt on rail pieces with screws, so there's more material.
That is why the MFR will end up weighing more if you add more rail sections.

JordonC2
03-21-12, 14:19
Got mine 2 weeks ago. 1st AR.
Very nice, very light
Took a week to get the DD irons, then a few more to get the Magpul Sling #3 and now waiting on a CMMG .22 conversion kit. The rifle has a OD on the rear and all you need is the small stud someone listed earlier in this thread. Should be complete and at the range this week. Cant wait to shoot it. Purchased sight unseen, and not knowing much about AR's I was a bit unsure. Now that I have it, there is nothing I would change.
Great decision. Get yours on order today!

cutamerc
03-21-12, 20:12
Clem, thank you for taking the time to post the photos. This makes a lot more sense now. I'm impressed nonetheless, it just seems like the Omega is so much rail it would have to weigh significantly more.

Clem
03-21-12, 20:27
Clem, thank you for taking the time to post the photos. This makes a lot more sense now. I'm impressed nonetheless, it just seems like the Omega is so much rail it would have to weigh significantly more.

No problem. Glad I could help.
I have the DDM4V5 and it's a great rifle.