PDA

View Full Version : Yes, ANOTHER Beretta - I can't help myself...

ShipWreck
02-04-12, 17:34
Picked up another 92FS with a curved dustcover today. Got it at Academy.

I gave up trying to find one with factory night sights, after going to many, many gunshows in a row. Plus, the standard ones have all been scratched to hell at the gun shows... It's a 90 minute drive each way to the Houston gunshows... So, I just paid a few bucks more and just bought it local...

It's another regular 92FS with the curved dustcover and backstrap indentation...

That particular style of 92 is my every day carrygun, and I wanted one more exactly like it (my other 92FS as the straight dustcover and no rear strap indentation). I'll probably send it off for night sights soon.

Anyway - the Wheel-O-Berettas now has NINE 92s... I also have a PX4, but I don't fit it into "the wheel" :dirol::dirol:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/9-wheel-o-berettacopy.jpg

GrandPooba
02-04-12, 18:35
nice. Very jealous of your Compact L's. Been trying to find one in MA for a while.

Lee D
02-04-12, 18:39
i really like that wheel SW. my 92s are probably my favorite pistols to shoot, but thats probably because they make me look like a better shooter than i actually am. :D

Busta Prima
02-04-12, 18:40
Nice collection! You're a single man, no doubt! :lol:

I wanted one for myself but I didn't like the safety so I passed. It was an uncomfortable reach and even then it was hard to engage. I have no trouble with the 1911 safety.

ShipWreck
02-04-12, 18:51
Thanks guys :)

blasternank
02-04-12, 19:43
Besides the military, I always wondered who bought all of those beretta's! ;)

maddawg5777
02-04-12, 20:14
Nice collection there ship, wish i had funds for an m9a1 but i guess my 92a1 stays lonely for a bit longer.

opmike
02-04-12, 20:35
Heh, I picked up a 92FS from Academy a long while back. Big anchor of a gun, incredibly comfortable, and a great trigger with the D spring dropped in.

I know we like to be "above aesthetics" on this forum, but the damned things are gorgeous.

ShipWreck
02-04-12, 20:47
Yes, I dropped in a D spring in it today, and plan to go shoot the new one tomorrow. I have D springs in all 9

KCBRUIN
02-04-12, 20:51
M9A1 is bad arse. I'd like to add one to my collection on of these days.

drsal
02-04-12, 21:02
Learn something everyday...did not know there was a compact 92fs !

LHS
02-04-12, 21:12
Learn something everyday...did not know there was a compact 92fs !

If they came out with a new production 92G Compact, with an integral rail, dovetailed front sights, and a bobbed hammer, it would be my ideal CCW piece (assuming they could get CT to make lasergrips for it).

ShipWreck
02-04-12, 21:26
If they came out with a new production 92G Compact, with an integral rail, dovetailed front sights, and a bobbed hammer, it would be my ideal CCW piece (assuming they could get CT to make lasergrips for it).

Not quite what you asked for - but at the Shot Show, they showed this:

an Inox M9A1 compact:

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/2857/berettam9a1compact.jpg

Supposed to be out in the summer...

SteveL
02-04-12, 21:29
Very nice collection. I used to have a 92FS and I always enjoyed shooting it.

LHS
02-04-12, 21:31
Bring that out in a G model, and I'll have one.

ShipWreck
02-04-12, 21:41
Right now, no current production 92 model Gs are being made... Sorry...

LHS
02-04-12, 22:22
Right now, no current production 92 model Gs are being made... Sorry...

More proof that Beretta just doesn't understand the market. If they still made the 92G-SD, the Elite series, and started modernizing their compact guns... Damn, they'd have some fine blasters.

PlatoCATM
02-04-12, 22:31
What's the 'G' model all about?

I'm not an aesthetic person when it comes to guns, but I really like the inox berettas for some reason. I'll have to keep my eyes open for the compact version to complement my standard 92fsc.

LHS
02-04-12, 22:36
What's the 'G' model all about?

I'm not an aesthetic person when it comes to guns, but I really like the inox berettas for some reason. I'll have to keep my eyes open for the compact version to complement my standard 92fsc.

The G-model uses a spring-loaded decocker. You can't put the gun on 'safe', it only decocks the hammer and then springs back up into the 'fire' position. Thus, you can't accidentally engage the safety during reloads, etc. With the 92's long DA first shot and exposed hammer, a manual safety isn't really necessary.

ShipWreck
02-04-12, 22:36
I do wish they'd make the Elit series again..

As for what the "G" is -it is just a decocker lever - not a safety and decocker. So, when you twist it down, it pops back up by itself, and only acts as a decocker.

LHS
02-04-12, 22:38
I do wish they'd make the Elite series again..

You and me both. My Elite I is my favorite pistol. Beretta quit making them, and Ernie Langdon quit tuning them. Both are terrible losses :(

maddawg5777
02-04-12, 22:46
Beretta just need to make a g conversion kit so that i could change mine out. i have trained through the "oh so terrible" slide safety but the g model would solve the whole issue. Also i can never find d springs in stock so i just went with a reduced power wolff spring... works wonders. also gotta love the look of the elite skeletonized hammer.

LHS
02-04-12, 22:47
Beretta just need to make a g conversion kit so that i could change mine out. i have trained through the "oh so terrible" slide safety but the g model would solve the whole issue. Also i can never find d springs in stock so i just went with a reduced power wolff spring... works wonders. also gotta love the look of the elite skeletonized hammer.

You can't just 'convert' it. You'd need a whole new slide.

maddawg5777
02-04-12, 22:48

Hell id pay for it if it were available.

Cobra66
02-04-12, 22:49
Just picked up a 1990 built 92FS Compact. I moved back to Kalifornia just as the latest batch started to hit the Academy Sports in Houston and didn't have the coin at the time. Of course the Compacts are not on the Kalifornia Commissar's approved list so finding a 92 Compact was no small task. That said, this is one fine little pistol and conceals surprisingly well. I realize I'm not some HSLD snake eater, but I still think the 92 series pistol is one of the finest out there!

LHS
02-04-12, 22:50
Hell id pay for it if it were available.

You, me, and a lot of other people too :)

Busta Prima
02-05-12, 01:30
Wow, that compact looks NICE! Is the safety any easier to work?

GrandPooba
02-05-12, 07:34
Beretta really needs to start remaking the 92G Compact L. Quite possibly the ultimate 92 variant.

We are in the golden age of shooting sports/concealed carry and Beretta is getting left in the dust. WTF is this px4 and nano bullshit? The 92 platform is already fantastic and just needs a couple minor changes (G decocker, dovetailed front site, compact L frame)

Odglock
02-05-12, 09:01
Shipwrecked,

You need some inox versions. Nice collection. I have 6 or 7 92s/96s some blue some stainless. Great guns. I too have D springs in all of them. I need an elite ii, some g models, a compact and a centurion and I'll be happy.

ShipWreck
02-05-12, 09:25
Just picked up a 1990 built 92FS Compact. I moved back to Kalifornia just as the latest batch started to hit the Academy Sports in Houston and didn't have the coin at the time. Of course the Compacts are not on the Kalifornia Commissar's approved list so finding a 92 Compact was no small task. That said, this is one fine little pistol and conceals surprisingly well. I realize I'm not some HSLD snake eater, but I still think the 92 series pistol is one of the finest out there!

Yes, the Type L compacts showing up last spring was a surprise. They haven't been imported in over 10 years... Beretta even denied them being here for a month or two when people called them...

I picked up 2 of them immediately...

Wow, that compact looks NICE! Is the safety any easier to work?

They are type "FS" models, so they work just like the fullsize. Decock/safety

You need some inox versions. Nice collection. I have 6 or 7 92s/96s some blue some stainless. Great guns. I too have D springs in all of them. I need an elite ii, some g models, a compact and a centurion and I'll be happy.

I generally prefer stainless or silver guns. In 1911s, that is my preference. With polymer guns, I love the contrast of the black frame and a stainless or hard chromed slide….

But the Beretta 92 is the ONLY gun that I PREFER in black. I don't care for the Inox models, personally. I did own a couple years ago, but I just always preferred black ones.

So, no plans to get one in Inox. Sorry.

ShipWreck
02-05-12, 09:27

Yes - there is a guy named "WAL" at the Beretta forum who has attempted to do conversions. From what I remember, he's had mixed results. So, yes, a new slide is required.

I may be in the minority - but I had a chance to buy a "G" PX4 when I bought my 9mm PX4 early last year. I personally prefer the FS models, as I don't have a problem with the safety coming on by accident.

Odglock
02-05-12, 09:38
Oh I forgot, I also have a 90-two but its not as nice as the 92.

Robb Jensen
02-05-12, 09:41
M9/92/96 slides can't be converted back and forth between FS & G.

PX4 slides can be converted back and forth between FS & G.

If BerettaUSA were to make the 92G Brig Inox and/or Compact 92G I'd consider shooting one in competition and for carry. I've always had very good reliability and amazing accuracy using Berettas. When I started shooting competition I was using a 92G Elite for IDPA and USPS Production.
I used a 1911 23lb mainspring along with a custom sear spring I had custom made and stock recoil springs. This gave a nice 8.5lb DA pull and a 4.5lb SA pull.

ShipWreck
02-05-12, 09:58
I use the factory D spring in all nine 92s. I have a trigger gauge. The d spring does take off over 3lbs on the DA pull and a 1/2 a pound or so on the SA pull. And, it is a factory part.

GrandPooba
02-05-12, 10:31
I have a 'D' spring as well. I also polished the circular surface of the hammer w/ 600grit sandpaper to remove the factory black finish. The DA pull is now not only lighter, but buttery smooth as well (even more so than if I had only done the 'D' spring upgrade)

maddawg5777
02-05-12, 12:22
I have a 'D' spring as well. I also polished the circular surface of the hammer w/ 600grit sandpaper to remove the factory black finish. The DA pull is now not only lighter, but buttery smooth as well (even more so than if I had only done the 'D' spring upgrade)

Ive got a spare hammer, will have to try that!!

GrandPooba
02-05-12, 12:30
Ive got a spare hammer, will have to try that!!

it's stupid easy to do. Just go very lightly and remove the factory black finish and smooth it up. Don't go too deep or use rough sandpaper.

Check out this thread for where to polish. Post #10. The circular part of the hammer colored in grey is where polishing helps the most. I haven't polished the sear yet. Might try it next weekend.

http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=13088

maddawg5777
02-05-12, 12:35
it's stupid easy to do. Just go very lightly and remove the factory black finish and smooth it up. Don't go too deep or use rough sandpaper.

Check out this thread for where to polish. Post #10. The circular part of the hammer colored in grey is where polishing helps the most. I haven't polished the sear yet. Might try it next weekend.

http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=13088

Thanks I really appreciate it. I haven't been on BF in forever, guess I need to head over and see whats up.

Omega Man
02-05-12, 21:44
I need to rent one of these. Always wanted to try out a Beretta.

S-1
02-05-12, 22:41
One of my major firearms regrets is getting rid of an Italian 92F that I picked up for $299. Included in that price were 3 magazines and Safailand duty holster and mag holder.

Beat Trash
02-06-12, 17:06
Shipwreck, I'm sure there is a 12 step program for guys like you. The only problem would be that by the time we locate a 12 step program that deals with Beretta obsession, you would have acquired a 92 for each of the 12 steps!

Nice collection.

ShipWreck
02-06-12, 19:20
Shipwreck, I'm sure there is a 12 step program for guys like you. The only problem would be that by the time we locate a 12 step program that deals with Beretta obsession, you would have acquired a 92 for each of the 12 steps!

Nice collection.

Thanks

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/Smiley/thicon_lol.gifhttp://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/Smiley/thicon_lol.gifhttp://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/Smiley/thicon_lol.gif

SOWT
02-06-12, 20:45
Nice collection, the M9A1 is on my wish list after another M&P .45