PDA

View Full Version : DD 12 fsb vs Centurion 12 FSB

The Dumb Gun Collector
02-04-12, 19:31
Hey guys,

Last year I installed a dd 12 fsb on a Colt and it was a PITA. Am I correct in That the Centurion rail does not require removal of the FSB?

Any advantages to either system?

SteadyUp
02-04-12, 20:25
Correct, the Centurion does not require removal of the FSB. As far as the DD FSP version, I'm guessing you're referring to the LITE rail version, and not Omega X? (Omega X doesn't require FSP removal, but the mounting system (IMO) isn't as robust as the Lite.

I have the Omega X, but will use the Centurion in the future for ease of mounting, and for the fact that it doesn't use 4 tiny allen screws that are a pain in the ass to install/remove.

The Dumb Gun Collector
02-04-12, 20:35
Yeah, it was a lite. It was the first and hopefully last time I had to remove a fsb. I would like to leave the factory pins in my fsb if possible.

Stickman
02-04-12, 21:00
No need to remove the FSB.

1. Clear the weapon, remove the handguards.

2. Wrap the receiver behind the delta ring with a towel or tshirt to prevent scratches/ nicks.

3. Cut the Delta ring cap at 9 and 3 o'clock. When you are most of the way through, use a flat head screw driver and pop the D-ring cap off.

4. With the Delta ring spring exposed, grab it with pliers and twist it off.

5. Tap out the gas tube roll pin and remove the gas tube, if you don't want to do this, it will take you longer to make the cuts. Make cuts with a dremel or similar tool, once the cuts are most of the way through, you can use a pair of vise grips and twist them off and away from the barrel.

6. Install the rail, and you are done. Without pulling the FSB you won't have even changed your zero on the weapon.

Col_Crocs
02-04-12, 21:06
Stick, what about the handguard cap? does it twist off easily when cut at the 9 and 3 o'clock as well?

seb5
02-04-12, 21:13
Stick, what about the handguard cap? does it twist off easily when cut at the 9 and 3 o'clock as well?

Yes, a pair of tin snips is the easiest way. Make 2 cuts as deep as you can, then take a pair of lineman pliers and twist it off. It will easily tear the rest of the way.

Stickman
02-04-12, 21:32
Yes, a pair of tin snips is the easiest way. Make 2 cuts as deep as you can, then take a pair of lineman pliers and twist it off. It will easily tear the rest of the way.

Cutting on each side, and then tearing it has been the easiest way for me as well.

m4brian
02-05-12, 20:16
Omega X uses the DD barrel nut same as the LITE. Thus, the FSP must come off.

Check weight and FEEL. The Omega X is a bit taller and slimmer.

While the Centurion is indeed robust the Omega X is not as robust as the Lite (which is extremely robust). However, I know a very experienced armorer who has had NO problems with the Omega X at all.

prestonoconnor
02-06-12, 14:11
Anybody mount a centurion fsb and mount a sure fire x400?

munch520
02-06-12, 15:23
Nevermind

The Dumb Gun Collector
02-06-12, 15:50
I ordered one from Rainier last night. I will keep you guys updated.

OldState
02-06-12, 16:52
I prefer the design of the new Centurion but when the Omega X rails were $200 ( $180 with Midway code) I'll take the DD rail. I had it on my 6920 in 30 mins tops. I do have a barrel wrench though so I didn't cut the delta ring. Just took it off with the barrel nut.

As for durability, after watching Vickers shoot it, blow it up and drop it out of a helicopter, I'm not concerned.

Also, the narrow profile is outstanding.

prestonoconnor
02-06-12, 20:50
I am running a dd fsb with an x300 at 12:00, I was hoping that the centurion was lower so I could mount an x400 at 12:00 and still use the iron sights

SpookyPistolero
02-06-12, 21:13
I am running a dd fsb with an x300 at 12:00, I was hoping that the centurion was lower so I could mount an x400 at 12:00 and still use the iron sights

As in lower than in-line with the receiver top rail?