PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this build?

Bluedreaux
02-04-12, 21:16
I figure it would be best to explain what I need first, then what I'm loooking at and why.

I'm a cop and firearms instructor looking for a new patrol rifle. My experience with ARs has been limited to a Colt Commando with an Eotech and the enormous Surefire that replaces the foreend. I can't remember the specific model numbers but it's not really pertinent anyway.

I did a lot of training in-house and through the Texas Tactical Police Officers' Association, but never any outside training that was AR specific. I have done a lot of outside pistol and some precision rifle training. I'm tactically sound, just not really comfortable with an AR.

I switched departments recently and had to turn in my issued rifle, so it's time to buy my own.

Department regs dictate a 16" barrel, no compensators, all black in finish, and manufacturer (Colt, BCM and DD are all approved).

I'm looking at a BCM 16" LW HF upper from Grant.
16"...my only option.
LW...ounces make pounds and if I have occasion to use a long gun it usually ends up getting carried for a while.
HF...because the 16" LW is offered as HF and they come highly recommended.

Mod4 charging handle...it seems like a good, well executed option and is available from Grant. I haven't used these before and went with the "4" because I figured the middle option would be not too big or too small. Pure guesswork, thoughts?

BCM BCG

Troy TRX Extreme 9" rails...I've handled them before and liked the grip. Seemed like it would provide plenty of grab regardless of conditions. It's also light, which is important to me. Troy is redesigning these and the new version should be out by the time I'm ready to build. I'll send it to Grant for installation.

BCM Blem Lower
MOE stock and grip...I've used them on friends' rifles and didn't have any complaints. Seemed like a low cost option until I see an actual need to upgrade.

XS Sights 24/7 Tritium Stripe front sight...Dept regs require a low light sight. It's tritium or a RDS, which I'm not sure I'll get yet. I've used XS pistol sights for years and love their dot sights. Their customer service has always been good.

Surefire x300

Either a Mossie Tactics or Midwest Industries FSB mount. I plan on buying both and seeing what works best for me, then selling the other or seeing if someone at work needs it. Thinking through it, I think I'll like the MI better, but I want to try both.

I've still got my old VTAC 2 point sling.

I've got my old training mags, but will order new mags also.

There's a local place I can buy my first case of ammo from, which I'll get when I buy the rifle. There's some training pretty close I can get in to through the TTPOA.

I'm not married to any of this and am wide open to suggestions and constructive criticism.

Ratfink
02-04-12, 21:46
you cant go wrong with a Daniel Defense rifle

Tommato
02-04-12, 21:59
Thats a very solid build Bluedreaux. I have a very similar build in my AR - same upper and charging handle. The Mod 4 is the most popular as easy to grab yet the latch *usually* tends to not get stuck on gear. MOE furniture is lightweight, solid, and functional - and good to go.

Grant will give you A+ service and as good of prices as you'll find. You can't go wrong with anything you mentioned, IMHO, but I really can't comment on the XS front sight as no experience with it. Good luck!

Tommato

maddawg5777
02-04-12, 22:53
Sounds solid, after the rifle purchase just save up some pennies for a T-1 or comp M4 very worth the money.

pira114
02-05-12, 04:35
Sounds great. Only two things I'd look at changing.

1. The Mod 4 is great, but the Mod 3 is much easier to manipulate if you anticipate wearing big gloves in cold weather. I haven't had an issue with it getting hung up.

2. As mentioned, look at the T-1. Lightweight and durable as hell. Completely worth the money. A little training with it and you'll fall in love. Trust me.

I went with the BCM LW also (except 14.5) and couldn't be happier.

Ratfink
02-05-12, 06:45
it just depends on what you like i prefer the mod 5 latch myself
i like the moe furniture a lot its light stuff and works well
i know the t1 and the comp m4 are great but so is the aipoint PRO and im guessing here it should be lighter than a comp m4 and its cheaper and just as good

xbmxracerx
02-05-12, 07:00
nice choices.....

The department(s) that I'm helping out have the Colts now but I'm doing upgrades for their duty rifles.(did some upgrades on an Officer's personal AR and he introduced me to the Chief and now I'm in)

The Mod 4, BAD lever, BAD ASS ambi went over huge in the department when I installed everything on one gun and did the demo on the components.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/emufreak1/87bb831d.jpg

The budget for them did not allow new weapons so I offered to upgrade them all for them (15 total)

Other upgrades were the MOE+, Vltor stock, ST-T2 buffer, AFG, DD EZ-CAR and the MOE trigger guard(relay that to your Department heads because the upgrades are definately going over well in the 2 Departments that I've shown them to)

Good luck and be safe....

JSGlock34
02-05-12, 09:43
Troy TRX Extreme 9" rails...I've handled them before and liked the grip. Seemed like it would provide plenty of grab regardless of conditions. It's also light, which is important to me. Troy is redesigning these and the new version should be out by the time I'm ready to build.

Why install a rail at all? Doesn't sound like you're planning to mount anything to it. I'd just use a mid-length MOE handguard and save $200.

I'd considered just purchasing this (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MID-750-LWC) from Grant and adding MOE furniture...

SpankMonkey
02-05-12, 10:11
The XS front post is a good sight. Stay away from the Trijicon front post, it will completely cover a human torso at 200 yds. The XS is narrower and works well. Get the rear ghost ring with the XS front site. Use a black sharpie to darken the rear dots. It will give you a good reference to help line up your irons in low light.

I would purchase a RDS. You will use the RDS much more than irons. The EOTech's are good, but they have a auto shut off after 8 hrs. You will need to hit one of the buttons every time you exit the car. The Aimpoint stays on all the time. You came simply leave it on forever and your GTG.

Get a quality light. No less then 200 lumens. Surefire has a new line coming out that produces 500 lumens. I would look into those.

Keep your rifle clean and wet and your GTG.

JSGlock34
02-05-12, 10:30
i know the t1 and the comp m4 are great but so is the aipoint PRO and im guessing here it should be lighter than a comp m4 and its cheaper and just as good

The Aimpoint PRO is an outstanding option and an excellent value.

Pax
02-05-12, 11:24
TRX Extremes are well under $200.. At most he'd save about $100 and end up with a non free-floated system. Free floating is worth well over $100 to me, and this guy just prefers the ergonomics of the TRX Extreme. So. Go for it. Also, the install is stupid simple if you dont want to pay for someone else to do it..

Bluedreaux
02-05-12, 11:43
Why install a rail at all? Doesn't sound like you're planning to mount anything to it. I'd just use a mid-length MOE handguard and save $200.

I'd considered just purchasing this (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MID-750-LWC) from Grant and adding MOE furniture...

The Troy rail seems to offer a lot more "grabbability" than the MOE, is that true in your experience?

I looked at that rifle, but if I go with the blem lower I can have the HF barrel option for about $40 cheaper than the whole rifle.

Locutus
02-05-12, 11:47

I must agree. To each his own - obviously this is all personal opinion, but a rifle festooned with all the latest geegaws and doodads just doesn't do a thing for me. IMHO, the cleaner, the better.

Bluedreaux
02-05-12, 11:51
Thanks for the advice guys. There's still more to work out...Rear sight
sling attachment points...but honestly I haven't researched them enough to form an opinion on anything yet so I thought I'd leave my mouth shut for now.

C4IGrant
02-05-12, 11:55
Good selection IMHO. I would pass on the rail and the XS sight and apply that money towards the Aimpoint PRO.

C4

Beat Trash
02-05-12, 15:35
I was a hard sell to switch to a red dot optic. Should have done it a long time ago.

The Aimpoint T-1/H-1are excellent and light weight. But the Aimpoint PRO is an excellent sight for the money.

The difference in using a RDO vs. a fixed sight with a tritium insert is huge. Beg, borrow, whatever you need to do, but get a RDO.

I also used the MOE grip and stock with success. I recently obtained a MagPul STR stock and really like the cheek weld on this thing.

I am fond of the folding Troy battle sight. I prefer the uncluttered view. If you like a fixed sight, I like the size and price of the DD sight.

All in all, I like your basic approach for your Patrol rifle.

I spent some time using the MI FSB mount with a VTac mount and a Surefire G2L. It was ok, but put the light too high for me. With a x300 it might work better for you. These guns had MOE fore ends. I switched to the IWC light mounts and G2X lights. A bit better.

The MI FSB mount is solid and well made though. Just put a bit of loctight on the screw when you install it.

JSGlock34
02-05-12, 15:36
TRX Extremes are well under $200.. At most he'd save about $100 and end up with a non free-floated system. Free floating is worth well over $100 to me, and this guy just prefers the ergonomics of the TRX Extreme. So. Go for it. Also, the install is stupid simple if you dont want to pay for someone else to do it..

I don't doubt the value of a freefloat handguard, but in terms of my 'hierarchy of needs' when assembling a rifle, it is much lower on my list than an optic. In my opinion, a red dot sight is the single best enhancement to marksmanship that a user can add. I'd rather put the cash towards an Aimpoint - the rail can come later.

The Troy rail seems to offer a lot more "grabbability" than the MOE, is that true in your experience?

I haven't used the standard Troy TRX Extreme, but I've used the similar Troy VTAC Extreme. My two cents is that either may offer more traction than a standard handguard, but they also heat up very quickly, and during range sessions I'd invariably find myself using a glove on my support hand. I've never had a problem gripping a MOE though, so this is a wash. I tend to favor a VFG in any case.

Thanks for the advice guys. There's still more to work out...Rear sight
sling attachment points...but honestly I haven't researched them enough to form an opinion on anything yet so I thought I'd leave my mouth shut for now.

The LMT fixed rear sight is reasonably priced and pairs well with the Aimpoint PRO if you go that route. Can't go wrong with a Troy rear sight if you prefer a folding design - the Troy folding sights are pretty much the industry standard and are OEM accessories for BCM, Noveske, S&W, VTAC, LaRue and an assortment of other companies.

There are a number of sling attachment points that will mount directly to either the TRX Extreme or MOE handguard.

Good selection IMHO. I would pass on the rail and the XS sight and apply that money towards the Aimpoint PRO.

C4

Exactly.