PDA

View Full Version : I want a trigger that has a 3.5-4 lb single stage pull, what are my options?

blasternank
02-05-12, 12:23
I'm not looking to spend a fortune as it's for a hunting AR. I'm fine if it's 4 lbs or a tad more but do not like the 5 lb. + ones as it just feels too heavy for me.

Thanks.

TehLlama
02-05-12, 14:12
Are you willing to wait for the ALG trigger? Meets that description thoroughly.

bp7178
02-05-12, 14:14
How much are you looking to spend?

For an aftermarket trigger with a single stage feel, the Geissele S3G is awesome.

However, for placing precise shots, have you considered a two-stage? If you haven't tried a quality one, I really suggest doing so.

rezin23
02-05-12, 15:42
The Geissele SSA-E fits the bill nicely. The new ALG breaks at 6 lbs.

LWatson
02-05-12, 17:03
SSA-E is still a 2-stage. can you just pull through it?

jmart
02-05-12, 17:11
What's your budget?

What type of hunting? Coyotes, bigger game where shots will be infrequent? Prarie dog gun where you can be putting a lot of rounds on it?

Any particular preference for a SS or 2-stage?

Team Chuck Norris
02-05-12, 17:26
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27227/Product/AR-15-M16-GOLD-TRIGGER-MODULE

American Trigger Corporation.

I have two of them. The first in my SPR and the other in my 14.5" BCM. Absolutely outstanding!

From Brownells:

Drop-In Fire Control System Gives A Light, Safe, Match-Grade Pull

Self-contained trigger/assembly installs in minutes and delivers a light, smooth, match-grade trigger pull free of grittiness, with an ultra-crisp letoff and short reset. Simply remove factory trigger and safety selector, drop in the module, reinstall selector and pins, and you’re ready to shoot. Completely new engagement geometry produces a light 3-lb. pull and crisp release without compromising reliability or safety. The two-stage design is adjustable for sear engagement, with a first-stage takeup of approximately 6 ounces, followed by actual sear movement taking up the rest of the weight—the reverse of the military two-stage AR trigger pull profile. Instead, the shooter can build force steadily, maintaining precise control and keeping his attention on the target. After release, reset travel is only .030", less than half the .070" typical of standard match triggers, to aid in fast, accurate follow-up shots. The sear captures the hammer at the back instead of near the pivot point to help produce the light pull and maintain safety. A second, independent, intercepting sear is positioned to block the hammer if it slips off the primary sear, as when the weapon is dropped or suffers hard impact. If the intercepting sear captures the hammer, pulling the trigger will still fire the rifle, though with a heavier pull weight. In addition, the Gold system uses the rifle’s factory safety to positively capture the hammer, like an M1 Garand, and roll it back below the primary sear for an extra margin of safety. A lightweight aluminum housing contains the entire system and maintains the correct tolerances between the working parts. The receiver pins serve only to anchor the module in the receiver, with no effect on trigger function.

bleaman225
02-05-12, 17:32
Some guys really like the Wilson TTU. Seems to be a reliable 4# trigger.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Tactical-Trigger-Unit-Single-Stage-Semi-Auto/productinfo/TR%2DTTU/

I have no experience with it.

Edit: The TTU may not be in your budget

bp7178
02-05-12, 17:49
SSA-E is still a 2-stage. can you just pull through it?

Very easily. Its almost as if you weren't looking for the second stage, and going for a smooth quick press you would never notice it.

d90king
02-05-12, 19:14
I like the Wilson TTU. Fully self contained, crisp, clean break at 4lbs and damn near instant reset. I run it on my hard use gun, not a hunting rifle so I dunno if the investment is wort it in your case.

Rumor has it that Geissle is doing GI triggers under I think his wife's company, maybe they are worth a look if your just looking for a cleaner single at a reasonable price.

blasternank
02-05-12, 19:19
Are you willing to wait for the ALG trigger? Meets that description thoroughly.

I thought those will be about a 6 lb pull. Or can you get them with a lighter pull?

blasternank
02-05-12, 19:23
It will be used in a hog gun so I will have some follow up shots but not many. Also, It won't be used like a 3 gun rifle or anything. Not too many shots through it every year so I don't want to pay $200 or more dollars on it. Maybe there's not much out there for less. On those ALG triggers, can you put JP springs in and reduce out the pull weight?

I do have the gold trigger from American corp in my 3 gun rifle===great trigger!

Nightvisionary
02-05-12, 19:42
For my standard Spikes LPK I installed a 4 lb JP yellow spring, very lightly buffed the bearing surfaces then sprayed moly lube throughout. It's very good for a standard trigger and only cost about $10.

BufordTJustice
02-05-12, 19:45
The Geissele SD-C (my personal use trigger) or the SD-E are perfect for your uses.

You can pull right through the first stage like it's not there. Both are crisper than any AR single stage I've tried so far...including several 'gamer' match style triggers.

I highly doubt that any of the other triggers have enough sear overlap and spring pressure to meet Crane NAVSEC specs for durability or drop safety.

I hunt hog with my gun as well....shooting up close is like clicking a computer mouse. You can run the gun as fast as you're able to cycle the trigger bow. I'm purty quick and I'm still clearly the weak link.

There's my $.02

BufordTJustice
02-05-12, 19:50
I thought those will be about a 6 lb pull. Or can you get them with a lighter pull?

I'm sure a Wolff reduced power trigger spring (leaving the full power ALG hammer spring in place) would have a very noticeable reduction in pull weight on the ACT trigger.

I actually did just that with my Geissele SD-C and it noticeably reduced the first and 2nd stage pull weights. It would be worth the $10-$12 for the wolff spring.

MidwestRookie
02-05-12, 21:36
4 pounds, single stage?

Right about..

Here. (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=40120/Product/AR-15-DROP-IN-TRIGGER-MODULE)

BufordTJustice
02-05-12, 21:42
4 pounds, single stage?

Right about..

Here. (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=40120/Product/AR-15-DROP-IN-TRIGGER-MODULE)

Well, I hope you enjoy troubleshooting.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=538411

jmart
02-05-12, 21:44
There are a ton of great $200+ dollar triggers out there, both SS and 2-stage, but those may be out of you budget, So next your going to drop to $150-175 units. then low $100s, and now the Geiselle $45/65 mil-spec units, (but those pull a bit heavier that you specificified.) We can shout out favorites all night long, but unless we know you platform and usage pattern, we're just shouting interweb dweebs.

Kronos451
02-06-12, 18:38
I'll second the Wilson Combat TTU. If you get the single-stage match model, the trigger pull is between 3.5 and 4 pounds. I have them in all of my AR's, hunting, competition, and otherwise. They feature a simple no-hassle installation, non-rotating pins, and a very crisp, no-creep, extremely short reset trigger pull. For the money I don't know of a better trigger. I'm not into the two-stage triggers, for some reason. Hope this helps -- good luck.

Chromium4500
02-06-12, 19:37
Geiselle Super Dynamic 3-gun.

End of discussion. Just over 3lb super-short single stage buttery-smooth pull with a sudden drop off "the glass edge".

http://geissele.com/pdfs/SD_flyer3_wTriggerScan.pdf

Read to the very end and be amazed.

Ratfink
02-06-12, 21:33
best single stage imho is the wilson ttu even though im a big fan of my sd3g trigger im still faster with the TTU shot to shot

blasternank
02-06-12, 21:52
Thanks for all the great suggestions.

og556
02-06-12, 22:27
Wilson Combat TTU is the fastest trigger I have ever shot with.

You have to be careful with that trigger or it could run away from you. I don't know if the heavier pull variant would do the same.

I am sometimes tempted to go back to that trigger but there were times I felt like it was doubling/tripling on me. I think that was 100% my fault though as I felt like I could hit it like a retard on a light switch and it would run away sometimes.

Ballistic Archer
02-07-12, 05:35
I have had very good results with the two Timney 4lb drop in stright trigger units I have used. Very, nice and problems free with lots of rounds downrange. Paid about $180.00.

Ballistic Archer
02-07-12, 05:45
For what its worth, it appears Timney was very responsive to the problem for this guy. Looked at both of mine and these 'burs' arent there and I have many more rds thru them than the poster had. Looks to me like one sloppy unit got sent. I will say it is correct that this system is dependent on the set screws being installed correctly and the smash screws being Loctite'd if you take your time, degrease them and apply some blue juice these units are GTG.

I know alot of guys dump on them but the RRA 2 stage match triggers (have one of them in my Elite Operator) are excellent, though the OP wants a single. Just sayin.

Regards,

BA

Well, I hope you enjoy troubleshooting.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=538411