PDA

View Full Version : Armalite Info Needed

steelhog
02-05-12, 12:41
Hi all,

What are the general thoughts on Armalite (parts that is)? I will be building a AR15 soon and the local shop only sells Armalite. But they don't seem to have as much info on the forums as other brands (Good or Bad) they are also not on the "Chart".

Already have a DD - LPK and DD - BCG that need a home.

BTW the 1/9 barrel is fine for my needs.

Locutus
02-05-12, 12:45
Hi all,

What are the general thoughts on Armalite (parts that is)? I will be building a AR15 soon and the local shop only sells Armalite. But they don't seem to have as much info on the forums as other brands (Good or Bad) they are also not on the "Chart".

I've wondered the same thing. They have complete uppers for $515, but after searching M4C, I've seen no comments about them being tier one, tier two, great stuff or complete shit.

Scorpion
02-05-12, 13:24
From what I've heard, middle of the road. You can do better (especially for the price) but they aren't the worst either.

ra2bach
02-05-12, 13:44
if all you want is a generic reply, you'll get the generic answer - go look at the chart....

one thing that is good to see, quality among all brands is improving across the board and the higher quality products are coming down in price.

I think Armalite lowers are good. the uppers less so. but when sold as a complete rifle, they suffer in comparison to what you can get for the same or just a little more money - and sometimes even less...

ST911
02-05-12, 14:24
Search term: Armalite parts

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=95805

I've wondered the same thing. They have complete uppers for $515, but after searching M4C, I've seen no comments about them being tier one, tier two, great stuff or complete shit.

There are quite a few Armalite specific or related threads.

Artiz
02-05-12, 15:02
Armalite's RE are 6061 extruded, the inside is rough and the outide isn't consistent.

With that said, I don't think it's an issue. Gear Scout's buttstock bashfest was done using 6061 RE's and they held fine.

Locutus
02-05-12, 15:40
There are quite a few Armalite specific or related threads.

That's quite true - I searched before this thread came up and found many mentions of Armalite as asides, but with almost no useful information. Your tip on Armalite parts was a good one. I've decided to just save my pennies and get a BCM LW CHF upper from Grant. Besides, the markings will match! :D

steelhog
02-05-12, 18:26
So around the Bushmaster, DPMS, RRA level?

Scorpion
02-05-12, 18:32
Nah, around the S&W level.

SomeOtherGuy
02-05-12, 18:51
Nah, around the S&W level.

About where I would place them. They have real engineers and do a number of good things, but they also do a few cost-saving things (like the 6061 tubes) and really seem marketed more toward hunters and recreational shooters. They also place a bit more emphasis on finish and less, in most ways, on TDP compliance. I would take them over a DPMS without a second thought, but wouldn't place them in any top tier.

FWIW an Armalite was my first AR and I also have used some of their small parts for builds.

Blankwaffe
02-06-12, 02:52
With 15+ years of actually owning, and have owned, several Armalite and Eagle Arms rifles I think I can speak more honestly than some on overall quality and performance.
That said Ive done my fair share of complaining about some small details that Armalite tends to go around at times.

For instance:
Not staking RE castle nuts,for some unknown reason, is one that seems to continue willingly as they clearly state such.
Ive not seen any issues with the quality of the RE's.Material can be debated,but Ive not seen any reported failures.

The handguards they started using in around 2007-2008 absolutely sucked.They were weak and floppy with heat shields that tend to displace when handled roughly.Not near the quality of the heavy thermoset furniture they used previously.At that time,the Armalite gunsmith said they were having supply issues with quality handguards,and I believed it.Needless to say the newer models had that issue corrected from what Ive seen.

Gas key staking was hit or miss for a few years with both top(early) and side staking(late),but they have since got on board with that detail since 2009 from what Ive seen.And one of my most complained about detail,YFS gas key fasteners they used from approx. 2006-2008,which they apparently stopped using in 2009,so maybe we(Armalite owners) made enough noise.But I suspect they changed vendors(best guess) for BCG's as the now look diffferent as a whole in machine finish and phosphate.

I have no idea why Armalite continues to insist on the use of the shrouded AR15 Enhanced carrier rather than the M16.They have the M16 type carriers in stock,but refuse to sell them to civilians.Minor complaint,but not what is seen with their competition.

I'll say the same about their preferrence to 1:9 twist as standard for the 5.56 CL CMV barrels.I would personally much rather see a 1:8 as standard for the middy and rifle.But at least they now have the carbine gas upper with a 1:7....so its a start.

2000-2002 I personally had some short leade chamber issues which was simply related to Armalite using .223 Rem chambers at the time....sad thing about it, was it was advertised and clearly stated that their chambers were .223 Rem at the time and I failed to see the facts in printed specs,as did many others.
Armalite went to 5.56 NATO chambers shortly after that for the CL models,particualrly after their 2006 unspecified "performance enhancements" where some other internal tolerances were changed as well.But I suspect they went to the + side of specs to loosen fit,good example carriers and receiver fit was tight and some complaints of break in needed.

I had a bolt lug crack above the extractor on one of the previous mentioned tight chambered 2000 model A2 NM,which I used for highpower/practice,which I directly attributed to continuous excessive pressure issues after several thousand rounds of use.That rifle would pop primers like a popcorn popper unless I was selective with ammo,finally throat errosion ended the issue for the most part and the rifle remains very accurate today.

Apparently their bolt design is sound as its near impossible to find report of a failure online,beyond my own personal issue as mentioned.Only other information I can find in regards to bolt issues is the recall Armalite issued on some AR-10 bolts in the late 1990's.
One little detail I like is Armalite engraves all their bolts with lot numbers which they do record with production.
Armalite did finally clarify in one of my numerous threads on the subject that they do spec Carpenter 158 steel in thieir M15 bolts from the well known,would not specify who,vendor.
As for the importance of whether or not bolts are HPT/MPI tested,batch or otherwise has been debated.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1008341#post1008341

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=306620#post306620

The only failures Ive had otherwise in all the years has been a couple roll pins,assorted springs and a YFS gas key screw which sheared and displaced,probably from assembly torque and soft fastener material with minimal staking.
Nothing spectacular in the amount of time/use,and not unusual with any manufacturer for that matter.To Armalite's credit they replaced that bolt and all the parts Ive seen fail under warranty with a phone call.Customer support is rediculously helpful.

Armalites receivers have always been,especially,high quality as has been the barrels.Probably some of the best finished/smooth chrome lined production bores Ive had to date.SST barrels are even better.

To say an Armalite rifle is mediocre quality is unfair IMHO and experience.Armalite could do a few small things to perfect their offerings and gain alot more respect,but as it is the current Armalites are even more refined than previous generations,so I personally have seen progress in their products.

And,before anyone asks, yes I use my rifles,typically twice a week and I have two nephews using the same.So they see and have seen a rather heavy round count frequently.

I'd simply recommend a good inspection as anyone would do with any AR right out of the box,and finish the minor details of staking etc. if needed.Any other issues notify Armalite and have them fix it.