PDA

View Full Version : Once you go black you always go back...

Fuzzy-Reticle
02-05-12, 13:09
I have been carrying and shooting Glocks since I was in college many years ago. I carried a Gen 2 Glock22 for many years. I have owned and carried from time to time Sigs, XD's, 1911's, Cz, Hk and at one time a M&P. I keep coming back to Glock. While I think the Glock is one of the most ugly firearms ever made it simply works every single time. I recently sold my G19 and bought a Remington R1. I liked the R1 fine but I found myself longing for another Glock. I am the type of guy that would ideally like to master 1 handgun platform rather than suck with several. I still suck but I am trying to get better. Since I think a handgun is a second choice to a rifle I choose only to have one handgun and prefereably 2 of the same one when my funds allow.

I treat my pistols like tools and don't baby them. The Glock reliability has always appealed to me. I don't have a problem with the ergos and being a lefty I have learned to change magazines using my left hand just fine. Glocks are accurate enough for my purposes and since more Glocks have been sold in this country probably more than any other pistol besides the 1911 parts and magazines are plentiful.

I once heard someone say that if they had to go to another planet and only bring one rifle it would be an AK. I feel the same about the Glock. I equate the the Glock as the AK of handguns to my non "gun" friends.

So I find myself preparing to buy another Glock. I have had a 19, 22, 21, 26. Never have I owned a 17. The recent Gen4 models make my choice a little more complicated.

Do I go Gen4 model 22 or do I go Gen3 model 17? I have access to both and even a G17 EXO which has me very interested. My store even has a 22 and a 17 in the RTF2 configurations.

After using the search funtion and reading every thread I could I still can't decide.

I am asking the hive mind what you all think. I guess this is one of those if you could only have one which would it be type threads.

If you where going to choose between a Gen4 22 or a Gen3 17 which would you choose?

rackham1
02-05-12, 13:21
17, mostly just to simplify ammo considerations.

brushy bill
02-05-12, 13:22
Best option would be find a pre 2010 Glock 17 as others have posted. Lots of good threads on ballistics by Dr GKR. BLUF for me is 9mm can essentially do whatever .40 can do, but probably not as good penetration against autos. Also, you don't have to worry about all the extractor/ejector/plunger/whatever is causing the recent crop of reliability and extraction issues. Wealth of information on that here.

If I were starting fresh and didn't have a bunch of Glock specific support items (parts, magazines, etc), I would go with something else if I buying new and didn't want to go with pre 2010 used Glock. Seemingly hit or miss with getting a 3rd or 4th Gen Glock that doesn't have extractor or reliability issues these days, which is unfortunate indeed. Maybe give Walther's PPQ a try once it has a little more time to prove itself.

Lone_Ranger
02-05-12, 13:26
I like Glocks.

I prefer a hammer on my pistols. I carried an HK USP, for years (9mm compact, and a .45 full-size) and loved them. I tried to switch to the P30, but it didn't work out. Loved the design, but my thumbs, kept getting in the way. I have a P-229 now.

Issued a Glock, I wouldn't have any problems carrying it. I would prefer it to the M&P, they have currently given me.

Given your choice, I'd go with the Gen3 17, I'm not a big .40 fan. Ammo costs just as much as .45, and I find the felt recoil, to be even more than a .45. (I don't know if it's the higher velocity, or a design thing, were the .45 is usually in a larger frame)

RD62
02-05-12, 15:52
Of the two you listed I'd choose the Gen 3 17.

I too would look for a used on a year or two old.

Replace the recoil spring and call it a day.

deeHKman
02-05-12, 16:07
Of the two you listed I'd choose the Gen 3 17.

I too would look for a used on a year or two old.

Replace the recoil spring and call it a day.

This ^^ simple fast and easy. Just make's sense!!

Tzook
02-05-12, 16:46
Whichever you choose (I'd pick the 17) I'd steer clear of the Gen 4's. If there was any way at all to make a Glock unreliable, they sure as hell found it.

ozy
02-05-12, 17:03
op, let me throw a twist here- a gen 4 34. absolutely a riot to shoot and even carry with the right holster. btw, another lefty who've been around the different guns parade only to return to the gen 4s.

Vulture38
02-05-12, 18:07
17. Nothing wrong with that one, and 9mm ammo is cheap.

Tiny Killer Robot
02-05-12, 18:34
I like the Gen 3's.
If you have large hands, G17. If you have med/smaller hands, G19.
I bought my first Glock in 1989, a Gen 1 G17. I have bought and sold Baretta (92FS), Sig (P226), S&W (5906, 686, 27), Colt (Python, Gold Cup), Springfield (1911-A1 customized by Ed Brown), and many others, but in the end, I always have a Glock on hand.
Right now it's a Gen 3 G17.

Fuzzy-Reticle
02-05-12, 21:02
The issues with the Gen 4s are a concern. I was hoping the dual recoil spring would take up some of the snappieness (if that is a word) of the .40 in the Glock22.

I can feel a Gen 3 G17 in my future.

G17 EXO anyone? :)

Omega Man
02-05-12, 21:38
Grab up that G17 RTF2, before someone else does!

Fuzzy-Reticle
02-15-12, 17:22
I found a NIB G22 RTF2 today. Since I bought a Sig P220 on Monday I was little reluctant to grab it but WTF.
Feels good to have a Glock back in the family again.:D

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll190/fuzzyreticle/G22RTF2.jpg