PDA

View Full Version : Want to build a range gun

snakedoc257
02-05-12, 17:44
Looking for some advice and opinions on building/assembling my lower. I would like to assemble a 20" gun for plinking and target shooting at the range. My range goes out to 300 yards. Any thoughts?

This will be a hobby gun. I don't intend on competing with it, but I would like it to be pretty accurate.

Do I need to free float the barrel? What are the advantages of the stainless bull barrel uppers? If I went with a SS bull barrel would 16" do what I want to do?

Thanks, for any input. I'm not new to AR's, but I'm not an expert either.

Vulture38
02-05-12, 18:04
If it's just a hobby/fun gun, you might not want to spend a bunch of money in its construction. The difference being made up in ammo.

I think once you have it zeroed, you'll find it is accurate.

snakedoc257
02-05-12, 18:17
You are correct; I don't want to spend a bunch of money on it, but I'm not building junk either. I already have a fixed stock and a stripped lower. I'm just trying to decide on what kind of upper to do.

Anyone here done a Bull Barrell upper or is that a no no on this site? How is the quality from M&A parts. They advertise on this site and I'm looking at their Varmint uppers.

I was thinking a 20", but now I'm thinking a 16" would be nice. What do you guys think?

crusader377
02-05-12, 22:32
If you want maximum accuracy on a 16" or 18" I think I would check out rainier arms and pick up one of their select or match barrels and either have them build a upper or assemble your own. Both the select and match barrels are supposed to shoot under 1 MOA and cost $190 and $225 respectively.

BCM makes some great 16" and 18" SS uppers but will probably be a bit priceier.

If you want a 20" I would just pick out a BCM 20" Govt upper which should run between $550-$600 complete with BCG, CH, and hand guards. Although this is not a match type rifle, with good ammunition it should shoot better than 99% of rifle shooters.

As a whole I'm not a big fan of building a hobby grade rifle while often you can build a quality rifle for $100-$200 more.

MistWolf
02-06-12, 01:19
The heart of an accurate AR is the barrel and a good one will not cost any less than a standard AR barrel. You won't save any money by building a precision AR "just for range use". A free float handguard is not an absolute necessity, but it does let you wring the most performance from your AR as it lets the barrel flex without interference and will isolate the barrel from changes in point of impact caused by pressure from using a rest, sling or bipod. A simple carbon fiber tube will work well at a reasonable cost.

I don't think a bull barrel is needed to get good accuracy from an AR. I use a stainless steel 20" Lothar-Walther HBar profile (heavier than the gov profile, much lighter than the bull barrel) and with good ammo, it gives nice tight groups and it's still light enough to carry on a hunt. Even so, the Lothar-Walther would be as accurate and more practical if it were a bit slimmer

Barrel length, within reasonable limits, has no affect on accuracy. Maybe a 16" barrel is a little stiffer than a 20" barrel of the same profile, but it's really a matter of personal preference. A 20" gives a little more velocity which helps down range and increases the RPM of the bullet which might make it just a little more stable at longer ranges. It makes for a smoother swing when tracking a moving target. A 16" barrel is handier and a little quicker handling and in practical application, the loss of velocity may not matter.

There is no reason to get a bull barrel for your AR. Lighter barrels will be just as accurate and more practical in the field. Barrel length is a matter of what you like best. Personally, I think the 20" barrel is a better choice for prairiedog shooting. You could go either 20" or 16" for jackrabbits & coyotes and which will be better is a matter of hunting style

TehLlama
02-06-12, 03:00
If you're after cheap accuracy, a chrome moly barrel can be impressive with okay ammo, just takes extra cleaning.

That said, for only $300 more you can build yourself a stainless 16" with a good floated handguard (BCM with VTAC-X or C4) and have a flexible, functional recce upper.

snakedoc257
02-06-12, 17:01
First off thanks for the replies. I understand not being a fan of building a hobby gun. I agree and maybe I started this post off wrong.

I am looking to build this gun primarily as a hobby, but I'm not going to build junk either. The reason for this post was to help me decide on which direction to start. I already have a 20" Colt, two midlengths and a carbine.

I've recently bought two lowers and I'm trying to decide what to build next. I've got a Colt A2 stock, buffer and spring laying around, so I thought a longer range gun would be something different than what I already have. Before you ask, the 20" Colt I inherited, and it was bought new, it's never been fired and I will not modify it. It is very sentimental.

I needed some advice on the bull barrels as I didn't know anyone that had one. I've never shot one, but after reading on this forum I've learned that a bull barrel is not what I'm looking for.
I'm thinking a 20" govt. profile with a free floating handguard, a low profile gas block or folding front sight. What do you guys think?

I guess what I am asking for is some suggestions on a fixed stock 20'' barreled AR. I know, I know this is m4carbine.net, but I like this site better than the other. So what do you think? Free float the barrel? Lose the front sight post? Folding sight post? What kind of scope? I only have one gun with a scope (Mtac) all my other guns have Irons or an Eotechs.

Thanks again

crusader377
02-06-12, 21:36
First off thanks for the replies. I understand not being a fan of building a hobby gun. I agree and maybe I started this post off wrong.

I am looking to build this gun primarily as a hobby, but I'm not going to build junk either. The reason for this post was to help me decide on which direction to start. I already have a 20" Colt, two midlengths and a carbine.

I've recently bought two lowers and I'm trying to decide what to build next. I've got a Colt A2 stock, buffer and spring laying around, so I thought a longer range gun would be something different than what I already have. Before you ask, the 20" Colt I inherited, and it was bought new, it's never been fired and I will not modify it. It is very sentimental.

I needed some advice on the bull barrels as I didn't know anyone that had one. I've never shot one, but after reading on this forum I've learned that a bull barrel is not what I'm looking for.
I'm thinking a 20" govt. profile with a free floating handguard, a low profile gas block or folding front sight. What do you guys think?

I guess what I am asking for is some suggestions on a fixed stock 20'' barreled AR. I know, I know this is m4carbine.net, but I like this site better than the other. So what do you think? Free float the barrel? Lose the front sight post? Folding sight post? What kind of scope? I only have one gun with a scope (Mtac) all my other guns have Irons or an Eotechs.

Thanks again

I think something like this would work well.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-20-Rifle-Upper-Receiver-MI-p/bcm-urg-std%2020%20mi%20ss15.htm

This would have a FF rail that is relatively light. I would add a set of front and rear BUIS and put the optic of your choice on it.

If you want more precision, I would take a look at this.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-18-Rifle-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-18%20ss410%20miss-15.htm

fallenromeo
02-08-12, 10:16
I don't want to speak out of turn being new here, but is there a specific reason you want a 20" barrel? A 16" barrel will pretty easily get to 300. Is there a reason you want to lug around an extra 4" and weight on your rifle?

snakedoc257
02-08-12, 16:50
Honestly no, there is no specific reason for a 20". I'm just wanting something different. I've got 4, an mforgery, two mid-lengths with collapsibles and a Colt H-bar, but I'm not going to change it any.

I first thought I might want a "bench rest gun", something with a bull barrel, but I think I've changed my mind.

I have a Colt A2 stock and a lower with a parts kit. I'm trying to decide what to build/assemble. Since posting this thread, I am thinking of building a mid-length upper with a stainless 16" barrel use my A2 stock.

I'm in no hurry, I'm researching this site now for ideas.

Thanks for the help, keep it coming.

TehLlama
02-09-12, 21:08
The Rainier Arms RUC upper comes to mind, as would ordering an upper, WOA barrel, gas block and tube from them and having them assemble it, then for cost a TROY or VTAC Extreme handguard, or Centurion C4 rail. ADCO also carries the WOA barrels at a good price, and will build an upper.

Especially for a range gun, that barrel profile and handguard combo works well - can attach a bipod, folding sight on there, but it's light, and works well off rests, even the modestly priced stainless barrels are tack drivers with some reach (even in 16" length, the right ammo will outpace a 24" barrel with the lame stuff).

Another option would be the STAG 3G upper (iirc they have a model with a Wilson SS 1:8" setup that comes with a light SAMSON handguard.

Blstr88
02-09-12, 21:26
Ive been researching similiar stuff for my build too...

Quick question: if the barrel says its chambered in .223 Wylde, will that handle 5.56?

Im having a hard time finding an 18 or 20" barrel of good quality chambered in 5.56? WOA and Rainier Arms all say .223 on their descriptions...

wetidlerjr
02-10-12, 06:25
...Quick question: if the barrel says its chambered in .223 Wylde, will that handle 5.56?...

Yes
:cool:

snakedoc257
02-12-12, 14:23
Nothing special, but got the lower put together. The lower and parts kit are from PSA. Now I've just got to decide what to put on it.

What do you guys think about a 16" midlength upper with a SS barrel? PSA has one for $429. Anyone here using any of their stuff?

Blstr88
02-12-12, 20:51
Nothing special, but got the lower put together. The lower and parts kit are from PSA. Now I've just got to decide what to put on it.

What do you guys think about a 16" midlength upper with a SS barrel? PSA has one for $429. Anyone here using any of their stuff?

My cousin shoots a 20" rifle length upper from PSA...it's served him well but he is not a serious shooter and doesnt shoot often. I think overall you won't find a ton of PSA love on this forum, however I personally have nothing bad to say (through my cousin anyway) about them.

Since you'll get a ton of this anyway I may as well say it: check out Bravo Company uppers...I think a 16" upper will run you around $399 (+ $129 for a BCG) and you'll be getting a far superior product than PSA...

wahoo95
02-12-12, 21:21

Speaking as someone who has assembled several PSA rifles and watched them perform perfectly well at the range, local matches, and a few classes I say they are just fine if its the configuration you want and your budget can't handle the additional $100 or so for BCM.

I have assembled two of the stainless barreled Middys and they are both good shooters albeit slightly heavier than non SS barreled versions.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

mallowpufft
02-12-12, 21:54
My range/coyote gun is a 20" PSA that I picked up with MOE furniture a couple months back for just under $600 back when they had lowers for $50.
Due to both my jobs SWMBO's schedule I've only been able to put about 200 rounds through it so I can't say much about the durability yet.
I'm still thrown a bit by the AR style irons but I was hitting 3 MOA (standing) at 100yd and 1.5 at 50 (standing).
Once I get more used to the irons I'm sure i'll be able to knock down to 2ish MOA at 100.
In the next couple weeks I plan on putting a Redfield 4-12x50 on for predator hunting.

That being said, I'm saving for a 14.5 pinned BCM upper for home defense use.

snakedoc257
02-13-12, 16:37
I am finding there is a bunch of BCM fans here. I agree they build nice stuff I may go with them on the next build.

Wahoo95, that's good to hear thanks. PSA's 16" SS middy is priced right. Now I'm wondering if I need to go ahead and add a freefloat tube or wait.

Mallowpufft, that sounds about like the same purpose I'm building mine for as I've got the HD gun covered for now. Does yours have a front sight base? If so, are you going to leave it when you mount the scope.

mallowpufft
02-13-12, 16:51
It's got the F marked FSB on it. I'm still looking at my options for mounts for a scope as well as my options for a free float.
I've been tempted to pick up one of the standard aluminum tubes and go w/o buis but I like the option of having irons in case the optic fails. I.E. I trip and fall and smash the scope while out hunting with it but I think I can call the dags in to 75-100 yards.
Troy has the FF tube I want most but it costs half what my upper did so it's more of an I'll pick it up if I ever find it used. Right now I've just got MOE furniture on it and I want to stick with it till I identify weaknesses.

wahoo95
02-13-12, 16:51
I just installed a Troy TRX on a guys 16" SS PSA Middy a couple weeks back. Shaved the FSB and used that rather than a gas block. Went together well and ran we'll in a recent class.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

snakedoc257
02-14-12, 17:02
I like that idea. I believe I can shave down the factory FSB myself. You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of that rifle would you?

wahoo95
02-14-12, 20:18
I like that idea. I believe I can shave down the factory FSB myself. You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of that rifle would you?

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb244/a996hawk/photobucket-7820-1327682835492.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb244/a996hawk/photobucket-3767-1327682873528.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb244/a996hawk/photobucket-6725-1327682789981.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb244/a996hawk/photobucket-2570-1327682754689.jpg

RJay
02-15-12, 16:40
^^^Looks good.

snakedoc257
02-18-12, 20:35
Wahoo95,

That looks great. I think I'm going with that upper. I just saw where PSA put the free float tubes back on as an option, but I may buy it without and then do it later myself.

Thanks for the pics.

Shoot 1st
02-19-12, 13:18
my primary rifles get the job done for target shooting plinking etc. if they didnt i wouldnt bother having them. im not to worried about building a dedicated plinking gun. i practice with what i carry.

for pure enjoyment I enjoy shooting a bolt gun for range etc,