PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle device to fit my needs?

bsmith_shoot
02-05-12, 19:34
Im in the process of doing some upgrades to my 11.5" BCM. This rifle is my HD weapon, but also rides along with me in the car every day, and follows me in the office every day. When I take family trips, its in the SUV.
My question is, what would be a couple good choices for a muzzle device for my weapon? I want good flash control, good recoil control, and good sound control. Id like to keep it as short as possible also. Is there anything like that out there? If so, whats the options?
Im not rich, so nothing too expensive please, lets say a $150 spending cap.
Thanks folks,
Brandon

HaydenB
02-05-12, 19:50
You just described a Battle Comp (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Battle-Comp-1-0-Black-Oxide-p/BCE%20BC%201.0%20Black.htm) word for word.

You should do a search on them. I don't have one but I've read good things.

Sigfan24
02-05-12, 19:52
Look at the primary weapons systems triad flash hider. I like mine on my 14.5".

SomeOtherGuy
02-05-12, 21:16
I would also take a look at the PWS Triad. I am using two now. They do nothing for recoil but do control muzzle rise, seem to control flash, and don't increase noise/blast over an A2 flash hider. A discussion thread with my review is here:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=77230&page=3

A video from PWS showing off its performance on a shorty is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK5ySESGJNs

Nothing against the Battlecomp which is also a good device. They have different effects and goals, and I would consider both.

Quiet-Matt
02-05-12, 21:35
I say save your money and keep your A2 that's on there now... but thats not too exciting.

I had a BC on my 11.5, and although it worked as advertised, I went back to the A2. The BC was pretty annoying on the SBR, to me anyway.

bsmith_shoot
02-05-12, 21:41
Thats another solid option too. If I get no considerable increases in the three criteria, I will stay with the A2.

I say save your money and keep your A2 that's on there now... but thats not too exciting.

I had a BC on my 11.5, and although it worked as advertised, I went back to the A2. The BC was pretty annoying on the SBR, to me anyway.

SapperRob
02-05-12, 21:48
I've used the Battlecomp on two 14.5 barrels and a 16. On the longer barrels it does everything you want it to, but it is louder than an A2. I would try it out on an 11" barrel before spending the cash. In my opinion SBRs are already louder, and any kind of comp is probably going to make it worse.

Rob

Sigfan24
02-05-12, 22:35
Standing next to my 16"with battle comp 2.0 is akin to getting slapped in the face. It works well, but the increased sound level and blast out weigh it's potential benefits for me (ymmv). Triad is just like standing next to an a2, but the triad reduces muzzle rise. The battle comp is a cool game gun set up, but it would not be my first choice for a primary defensive rifle.

markm
02-06-12, 08:11
I know the PERFECT device.... A2 Flash hider.

I run them on both my 11.5s.... and any gun that doesn't need a silencer mount.

rob_s
02-06-12, 08:37
I know the PERFECT device.... A2 Flash hider.

I run them on both my 11.5s.... and any gun that doesn't need a silencer mount.

Agree. Hell, even one of my silencer mounts is an A2 cage with external threads.

Beyond that some of the linear comps and blast-forward devices DO decrease perceived blast at the shooter and to the sides IME based on my mk1mod0 earball. I hope to have definitive numbers to go with that at some point.

Failure2Stop
02-06-12, 09:33
SBRs are the most happy when paired with a suppressor, so I would get a muzzle device that would support that progression.

a0cake
02-06-12, 09:40
A2 is the way to go if you're not going to be using a suppressor.

Everyone's so big on flash suppression, but does anybody care to consider the arguably more important concept of dust printing?

You said you want "good flash control, good recoil control, and good sound control."

You just described a suppressor. If that's not possible, you're left with the following options:

A BattleComp, for example, will give you good recoil control. 1 out of 3 of your criteria. It produces substantial flash, less than other comps but don't let anybody fool you and say that it doesn't. It also produces a concussive blast. Comp wise, this is the closest solution for your needs. Other comps / brakes will flash more, print dust worse, and produce more blast. No-go unless it's a competition gun. The BC is the only comp or brake I would consider for a fighting rifle, but even then, not really.

The other possible solutions are Vortex / AAC Blackout flash hiders. They are outstanding at hiding flash and do not add a concussive blast. I suppose by your wording you could call this "sound control." That's 2 out of 3 criteria as I see it. Downside? Massive dust printing. Nobody EVER mentions this. You decide if that's important. For me, it is.

The A2 performs not quite as well in flash suppression and also does not add a concussive blast. Its effects on muzzle rise are negligeble. The primary advantage of the closed bottom is that it cuts down on dust printing. I give it a 2 out of 3 for your specific criteria as well.

Save the money, keep the A2. Unless you're a 3 gunner or a competition shooter, a comp or a brake is almost never the right choice for a muzzle device.

Defeat muzzle rise and speed up your follow up shots through training, not equipment, instead of sacrificing the benefits of a flash hider.

jonconsiglio
02-06-12, 21:36
I ran Triple Taps and BattleComps for a while, but now everything has an A2, though I have a couple Surefire 212 flash hiders here that need mounted for when the Surefire can is ready.

I have a brand new Surefire brake sitting here as well, but I don't think I'll ever use it.

There's nothing I do with an AR that requires faster follow up shots. I'm not a competition shooter. I'm all for people that choose to use them, it's just not my thing.

The other day my buddy was at the range with his Diablo 7.5" upper and AAC Brakeout (which is crazy). The blast was insane, but there was almost no recoil or muzzle rise at all. It was just way too much without a suppressor. Member samuse was there as well and the look on his face when he shot it was great.

Tzoid
02-06-12, 22:06
Agree. Hell, even one of my silencer mounts is an A2 cage with external threads.

Beyond that some of the linear comps and blast-forward devices DO decrease perceived blast at the shooter and to the sides IME based on my mk1mod0 earball. I hope to have definitive numbers to go with that at some point.

Rob,

what happened to the Comp comparison you were doing a few months back?

rob_s
02-07-12, 04:15
Rob,

what happened to the Comp comparison you were doing a few months back?

coordinating range time, photographer time, my time...

we need an indoor range where we can shoot rifles and they will let us come in before/after hours.

d90king
02-07-12, 08:47
Based upon how you describe utilizing and traveling with this rifle (in vehicle with your family and indoors) it sounds like you NEED a suppressor for this rifle based upon what you are trying to accomplish. A 212A and a SF mini would be my choice.

I don't think that there is anything else on the market that will fit the needs that you listed. There are products that do one of the thing but not all three.

Biggy
02-07-12, 10:40
IMHO The YHM 5C1 or 5C2 flash suppressors out perform the A2 flash suppressor, have a closed bottom, and only cost $25 at Bravo Co. As the above poster mentioned my choice would also be the Surefire FH556-212A Flash hider/adapter paired up with the SF mini can. The 212A does not have a port facing directly downward, has excellent flash suppression , gives you another option down the road and is $100 at Bravo Co.

Surf
02-07-12, 11:57
Suppressor is the ticket, but that does get outside of your budget.

You should look at prioritizing your desires and rank them. As an example if recoil control is lower on your the list then the direction you should go is much more clear.

Now if your looking for a device that will hit all of your points and as an average be the closest thing to meet all your criteria, then you should look at the BattleComp. Again on an SBR it will still have a good bit of bark, blast and flash. Just not as much as other devices that are considered compensators.

ClearedHot
02-07-12, 23:38
Stick with the A2. I've never seen the need to change muzzle devices, unless running a can.

rauchman
02-08-12, 07:52
What does the concensus recommend for a ban-state brake where flash hiders and suppressors are verboten?

ClearedHot
02-08-12, 08:01
What does the concensus recommend for a ban-state brake where flash hiders and suppressors and verboten?

Battlecomp

jonconsiglio
02-08-12, 10:22
Yeah, in a ban state I'd definitely use the BattleComp if I had to run some sort of brake pinned on.

bsmith_shoot
02-08-12, 16:18
I made the decision. Im sticking with the A2. Thanks to all the contributed!!
Brandon

rauchman
02-09-12, 07:30
Battlecomp

Yeah, in a ban state I'd definitely use the BattleComp if I had to run some sort of brake pinned on.

Thanks!!!