PDA

View Full Version : states with decent gun laws AND decent urban areas

rob_s
02-05-12, 20:39
I realize that we are all supposed to want to be living in a shack in the woods, but humor me... :p

I'm looking for an urban area in a state with good gun laws. By "urban" I'm referring more to density than high-rise areas. Someplace with a little history, older brownstone-style living or houses on narrow lots with backyards, etc. Proximity to a healthy shooting sports range/community would be good too.

ssracer
02-05-12, 20:41
pretty sure that can be found here in KY in a few places....and our gun laws ain't too shabby

sadmin
02-05-12, 20:43
Ft. Worth... Or my town, Tyler, TX
Pistol here is pretty healthy, but it would be on you to start some carbinero stuff... If you build it, we will come.

Nightvisionary
02-05-12, 20:46
Oregon has pretty much all that but we're full.:D

lethal dose
02-05-12, 20:49
All of Ohio's high density area are going to pot, but the gun laws ain't bad. I live in Greenville, sc right now. Not as good as Ohio as far as gun laws, but not bad. Greenville is a slammin' city... as far as cities go. Very good economy.

Smash
02-05-12, 21:04
Definite plus 1 on Ft worth Texas "My home town y'all".

And Tyler as well. Tyler has the less of the density but farther from Liberal Dallas.

Some of the Burbs west or south-west of Ft Worth as well even north west...just not east. You're in easy commute of any locales of Arlington, Dallas, etc.

BCmJUnKie
02-05-12, 21:17
Colorado has best of both worlds.

Canon City has history, its fairly large with a 1,000 yd range a mile from where I live.

Theres about 4 or 5 other ranges within ten minutes from eachother.

You can live in the city or out in the boondocks

LHS
02-05-12, 21:18
Phoenix has some decent downtown areas undergoing 'gentrification', and there are a ton of places to go out in the desert to shoot (as well as some good organized ranges like Usury Pass/Rio Salado, Ben Avery and Phoenix Rod & Gun Club). As for gun laws, well, they don't come better than here (with the noted exception that it's currently illegal to hunt with a suppressor, but we're working on that...)

rob_s
02-05-12, 21:27
To be a bit more specific, I'm looking for areas that are pedestrian centric, or at least pedestrian friendly, with restaurants and bars and the like that you'd actually want to go to. Something like the denser areas of Queens (but not quite as run down or in NY), certain areas of Chicago, etc.

BCmJUnKie
02-05-12, 21:31
Canon City and Old colorado city Colo. Springs is like that.

Canon has a downtown lined with restaraunts and different venues.

Anything from food to music, candy stores and archery shops.

Everything is walking distance.

In the summer the whole town participates in parades and different block parties, whitewater fest and crafts stuff.

Its definately not as DENSE as New York or Chicago, not as heavily populated.

Most of the jobs are DOC and Fed, for the prisons. 14 to be exact.

It used to be a quiet little retirement town until more and more prisons were built haha

Smash
02-05-12, 21:37
Do you want to live in the same area? I.E. you want to walk from your house to the bars? The Ft Worth Stockyards has it all but you won't be able to live near there.

lethal dose
02-05-12, 21:40
Research Greenville, SC. Heck, stop by sometime... I'll show ya around. Lakes, mountains, city, country, etc. The urban area is very upscale and extremely thriving. Downtown is like a mini NYC... crowded sidewalks, good food, music, etc.

orionz06
02-05-12, 21:41
Pittsburgh might fit the bill but we have that white stuff and hills.

rob_s
02-05-12, 21:42
Do you want to live in the same area? I.E. you want to walk from your house to the bars? The Ft Worth Stockyards has it all but you won't be able to live near there.

yes, exactly, live there and have options besides getting in the car and driving to TGIFridays. :p

rob_s
02-05-12, 21:44
Pittsburgh might fit the bill but we have that white stuff and hills.

yeah, the temperature and snow thing is definitely a concern.

orionz06
02-05-12, 21:45
http://www.soccershopusa.com/Images_Products/Rhinox-Beanie-Yellow-2009-1.jpg

chadbag
02-05-12, 21:48
Downtown area of Salt Lake City would probably fit the bill, but once you leave the downtown area you are suburban sprawl and then small towns and mountain/open areas etc.

But there are a lot of expensive condos and stuff plus the houses of the avenues in Salt Lake City itself and a whole "urban" downtown with restaurants, etc plus shopping all mixed in.

Not on par with NYC or Chicago.

I want to move to Montana and 200 acres or more so it is not something I personally am that familiar with but we go down town once in a while to eat, shop, etc. Gateway outdoor "mall" is a popular pedestrian area plus the whole downtown is pedestrian accessible.

Good gun laws in Utah as well.

ETA: except the snow thing though this winter has been nice in the valley. Not much snow and lots of 40+ days and sun.

ETA^2: lots of construction going on here since that is your trade I believe?

-

lethal dose
02-05-12, 21:49
Might as well give him a terrible towel to wrap up in, too. ;)
http://www.soccershopusa.com/Images_Products/Rhinox-Beanie-Yellow-2009-1.jpg

rob_s
02-05-12, 21:53
I've just gotten used to being able to spend the whole year outside shooting and doing other stuff. I don't think I'd adapt well to the frozen north and being homebound all the time. The times I have gone north in the winder I've been miserable.

Ideally would be a town in FL with a decent urban area but I don't think that's happening. I started looking around Atlanta but the only IDPA and USPSA I could find in the area was an hour + away.

SteyrAUG
02-05-12, 21:54
To be a bit more specific, I'm looking for areas that are pedestrian centric, or at least pedestrian friendly, with restaurants and bars and the like that you'd actually want to go to. Something like the denser areas of Queens (but not quite as run down or in NY), certain areas of Chicago, etc.

Here is your problem.

Such places attract people who want to live the "city life" and that includes the hip hop, cutting edge "I want all the services I can get for free yo" urbanite and that of course means all the "big city" problems such people bring along with them like so much luggage.

As they will exist in greater numbers than there are means of controlling them, the city will instead try and control things like guns and all the other typical "big city" solutions to crime. City dwellers really don't appreciate the independent individual and generally work towards a collective that everyone supports (or at least those with declared incomes).

And even decent gun laws are no guarantee of a crime free Utopia. Once upon a time Miami really was once of the coolest cities in the south, now I wouldn't live there if it was free. And even Texas has some horribly bad high crime areas. The only real difference between them and NY, Chicago, DC, etc. is that in FL and TX you can at least shoot back.

orionz06
02-05-12, 21:55
We shoot year round up here.

kwelz
02-05-12, 22:13
Indiana is pretty good. Kentucky as well. The only restriction we have in Indiana is Short barrel shotguns. Can't have them. Everything else is about as easy to get as a cold. Kentucky lets you have SBS but... Well it is Kentucky..

Smash
02-05-12, 22:17

Yeah, "year round"

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g342/F2SConsulting/92e47346.jpg

chadbag
02-05-12, 22:21

Yeah we do to.

MAP
02-05-12, 22:23
I realize that we are all supposed to want to be living in a shack in the woods, but humor me... :p

I'm looking for an urban area in a state with good gun laws. By "urban" I'm referring more to density than high-rise areas. Someplace with a little history, older brownstone-style living or houses on narrow lots with backyards, etc. Proximity to a healthy shooting sports range/community would be good too.

Don't be a afraid of the cold weather, look into Fort Collins, CO.

Mike

orionz06
02-05-12, 22:37
Yeah, "year round"

[I MG]http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g342/F2SConsulting/92e47346.jpg[/IMG]

Just think of how much more cool Arc'teryx and Under Armour one can buy having more than 2 seasons.

obucina
02-05-12, 22:50
Wellington, FL :)

Tim Rooney is the rep, its fairly conservative, with a smattering of libtards/hipsters. There are a few indoor ranges in town. An outdoor range in Okeechobee and one in Sebastian. We have plenty local shopping, a World of Beer, and are close to Downtown West Palm and the Jupiter Inlet.

I've lived in Wellington since '89 when I was in second grade, its my home. Baring any shenanigans with Bank of America, I will have the keys to a home in Wellington come friday. I've got the 'hood memorized, the same streets I used to roll through on my huffy, still dont suck. Just remember, its still the gunshine state and we can still shoot back :)

Evil Colt 6920
02-05-12, 22:54
One of the last places Id ever live is Pa. Thats where all my anti gun in laws are. Not to mention the weather is hideous. I lived in SC on Hilton Head Island for 8 years, beautiful place. Lots of shops, bars, resturants near the beach(of course near the beach its a frickin island:p) Its also 45 minutes from Savannah, Ga which also has a ton of history, shops, bars, resturants etc. PLUS a nice private gun club in Ridgeland, SC which is also about 45 minutes from the island. In another direction, again about 45 minutes is Beaufort, SC, again with shops, bars, resturants on the water(Paris Island is also in beaufort) Lots of gated communities around in this area. The island itself is very upscale living, laid back. I have family in Greenvile, SC and +1 on that place too. Ive considered moving up there and still may. My dad lives in Tyler, Tx and thats also a great place. Right now Im in limbo trying to figure out where I want to settle down. Im looking for land near a place like what you're after. Im leaning towards the weather and beauty of SC. I already hold a master electrical license there so thats another plus.

Re reading my post makes me wonder why the hell Im not in SC:confused:

PaulL
02-05-12, 23:09
League City, TX. Everything but the walking part. Gotta take a car, but the drives are short.

LHS
02-06-12, 00:00
One of the last places Id ever live is Pa. Thats where all my anti gun in laws are. Not to mention the weather is hideous. I lived in SC on Hilton Head Island for 8 years, beautiful place. Lots of shops, bars, resturants near the beach(of course near the beach its a frickin island:p) Its also 45 minutes from Savannah, Ga which also has a ton of history, shops, bars, resturants etc. PLUS a nice private gun club in Ridgeland, SC which is also about 45 minutes from the island. In another direction, again about 45 minutes is Beaufort, SC, again with shops, bars, resturants on the water(Paris Island is also in beaufort) Lots of gated communities around in this area. The island itself is very upscale living, laid back. I have family in Greenvile, SC and +1 on that place too. Ive considered moving up there and still may. My dad lives in Tyler, Tx and thats also a great place. Right now Im in limbo trying to figure out where I want to settle down. Im looking for land near a place like what you're after. Im leaning towards the weather and beauty of SC. I already hold a master electrical license there so thats another plus.

Re reading my post makes me wonder why the hell Im not in SC:confused:

Not to mention PA has some of the most bass-ackwards retarded liquor laws in the country. In AZ, I can walk into a grocery store and walk out with a fifth of pretty good single malt Scotch even on a Sunday morning.

thopkins22
02-06-12, 00:20
This quickly became a "move to where I live" thread.

I'll break the trend...sort of.

Houston is great for many reasons...but I'd strongly suggest actually living inside the loop for the reasons you listed. No brownstones though....

There are IDPA and USPSA matches seven days a week at different clubs...but you'll be driving outside of the city to get to them so it doesn't fit.

Austin, TX. Urban, great food, great music, close to excellent matches and training. NOT cold.

BTW...all of my TX recommendations don't count if you want to be a suburbanite. :bad: :p

Wiggity
02-06-12, 00:42
Don't be a afraid of the cold weather, look into Fort Collins, CO.

Mike

Shut up man, you're letting the cat out of the bag ;)

Iraqgunz
02-06-12, 00:57
The greater Phoenix area has much of what you are looking for as far as I know. The winter is mild to say the least and the summers aren't terrible and are truly only hot for about 3 months.

Homes are cheap as well and the overall cost of living is not bad. We have excellent gun laws (all NFA allowed) plus constitutional carry. You can drive north just a few hours and be in the mountains.

There is plenty of open area where to shoot as well.

sjc3081
02-06-12, 02:48
Savannah GA.
http://www.savannahchamber.com/

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-06-12, 03:48
Canon City and Old colorado city Colo. Springs is like that.

Canon has a downtown lined with restaraunts and different venues.

Anything from food to music, candy stores and archery shops.

Everything is walking distance.

In the summer the whole town participates in parades and different block parties, whitewater fest and crafts stuff.

Its definately not as DENSE as New York or Chicago, not as heavily populated.

Most of the jobs are DOC and Fed, for the prisons. 14 to be exact.

It used to be a quiet little retirement town until more and more prisons were built haha

You lie. CO is full. And by full I mean full of Vampires and Werewolves. Super high taxes. Worst gun laws in the world. You literally get raped when you cross the border. We're full, no one else should come here....:ph34r:

Scoby
02-06-12, 05:25
Research Greenville, SC. Heck, stop by sometime... I'll show ya around. Lakes, mountains, city, country, etc. The urban area is very upscale and extremely thriving. Downtown is like a mini NYC... crowded sidewalks, good food, music, etc.

Yeah....Greenville is an upscale place to be.

If you want history look to Charleston, SC....you'll have to get past all the tourists in the summer though. I understand the cost of living in the decent areas is kind of high however. It does have its' bad areas too.

Don't even think about the City of Columbia, SC. The population in downtown is way less than desirable.

rob_s
02-06-12, 05:56
Wellington, FL :)

Tim Rooney is the rep, its fairly conservative, with a smattering of libtards/hipsters. There are a few indoor ranges in town. An outdoor range in Okeechobee and one in Sebastian. We have plenty local shopping, a World of Beer, and are close to Downtown West Palm and the Jupiter Inlet.

I've lived in Wellington since '89 when I was in second grade, its my home. Baring any shenanigans with Bank of America, I will have the keys to a home in Wellington come friday. I've got the 'hood memorized, the same streets I used to roll through on my huffy, still dont suck. Just remember, its still the gunshine state and we can still shoot back :)

that's not too far from me right now. From what I know of Wellington it's suburban hell. am I missing some kind of "downtown" area with the criteria I described above?

rob_s
02-06-12, 06:02
Savannah GA.
http://www.savannahchamber.com/

Yeah....Greenville is an upscale place to be.

If you want history look to Charleston, SC....you'll have to get past all the tourists in the summer though. I understand the cost of living in the decent areas is kind of high however. It does have its' bad areas too.

Don't even think about the City of Columbia, SC. The population in downtown is way less than desirable.

Charleston and Savannah are both GREAT examples of where I'd like to be. I've visited both and really loved both. Do you guys have any take on the cost of living to be in the desirable areas though? Any idea on the local competition shooting scene?

I almost took a job in Greenville when I was getting out of school. Fluor-Daniel Construction, which I think is now just Fluor, was based there. International company and I would have been travelling a lot, potentially for years at a time, so I passed on the job. That and it was largely an accounting position which I didn't want. BUT, I do recall being pretty impressed with the downtown area when I drove through there.

rob_s
02-06-12, 06:18
This quickly became a "move to where I live" thread.
well, that's the way it always goes, but it's also helpful in this case because the people that live there know the most about it.

I'll break the trend...sort of.

Houston is great for many reasons...but I'd strongly suggest actually living inside the loop for the reasons you listed. No brownstones though....

There are IDPA and USPSA matches seven days a week at different clubs...but you'll be driving outside of the city to get to them so it doesn't fit.
I don't mind if there aren't actually any brownstones, just giving that as an example. Lofts are ok, standalone houses are ok, just looking for that kind of feel. I don't even mind if the neighborhood is a little dingy provided that it's working-class dingy and not section-8 dingy.

Also don't mind driving to matches to some extent. I drive 30 minutes to my weekly match from work and ~45 to get home from there. Just don't want my only choice to be 1 hour+ away and starting at 9 AM on a Sunday, you know?

Austin, TX. Urban, great food, great music, close to excellent matches and training. NOT cold.

BTW...all of my TX recommendations don't count if you want to be a suburbanite. :bad: :p

I have a friend that lives in Austin. He keeps bugging me to come visit. They have two little kids which is most of the reason I haven't taken them up on it. Should have done it before the kids.

munch520
02-06-12, 06:43
double

munch520
02-06-12, 07:03
I'll speak up for Columbus, OH. I lived near downtown for a while (Victorian Village). German Village and Short North are also two other options. Brownstones, parks, walking distance to the convention center and arena district, etc. Low crime and 6 ranges within 30 min. Cost of living is also very low compared to other metropolitan areas and the airport is a 10 min drive away.

I've lived in OH, MI, NJ and travel at least 1/3 of the year to most of the other states, and I can tell ya Columbus is a great deal with lots to do. Also it's recently been a very fast growing city and as a result the city/it's surroundings are really well thought out/planned/zoned. And Victorias Secret, Limited, Abercrombie, etc were all started/HQd here so there's no shortage of women :haha:

If I ever had to look anywhere else, Denver would be my choice.

The_War_Wagon
02-06-12, 07:52

Awww yeahhhhhhh... this was a couple years back. It got up to a blistering 10 degrees that day! :jester:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/Training/0131001443.jpg

As an alternative, I grew up north of Charlotte - it used to be a GREAT place for gun owners, although given the number of New Yawk/New Joisey types that have relocated there the past 20 years, I can't vouch for it today. FWIW.

d90king
02-06-12, 08:18
Philly might not be bad. Lots of history, very good gun laws (not as great in actual city) has nice urban areas like old city and there are lots of good ranges. The FUDDS are kinda a PITA.

5pins
02-06-12, 08:49
I’m going to second Austin also. I did not live there but just north in Waco:bad: last year and wished I lived in Austin.

Scoby
02-06-12, 09:14
Charleston and Savannah are both GREAT examples of where I'd like to be. I've visited both and really loved both. Do you guys have any take on the cost of living to be in the desirable areas though? Any idea on the local competition shooting scene?

I almost took a job in Greenville when I was getting out of school. Fluor-Daniel Construction, which I think is now just Fluor, was based there. International company and I would have been travelling a lot, potentially for years at a time, so I passed on the job. That and it was largely an accounting position which I didn't want. BUT, I do recall being pretty impressed with the downtown area when I drove through there.

Rob, I have cousins that live in the Charleston area. Summerville and Goose Creek actually. Goose Creek is out by the US Naval Weapons Station and is a nice area, although I don't think it or Summerville matches your criteria of a downtown area. More suburban type.

Any housing, apartment, etc.. in the Charleston downtown historic district will cost you through the nose I suspect. This was the case a few years ago as it was mentioned to me by one of my cousins.

If it were me, I'd opt for Johns Island, James Island or the Mt Pleasant areas. Just a short drive into Charleston.

I would not consider North Charleston. I understand from a LE friend that N Charleston at one time had one of the highest per capita crime rates in the nation.

I'm sure there are ranges / clubs in the Charleston area. Just not familiar with them. There are guys on the forum from the Charleston area...maybe they'll see this and chime in. Or go to the Regional / Local Discussion forum here. Someone there may be able to fill you in on the Charleston area better than I can.

Beaufort is also a nice area that has some historical background. Not near as big as Charleston though.

Fluor is a really big company. Although my business doesn't compete with them, I understand it is a good firm to work for, and yeah....you'd have to be willing to travel and/or relocate.

Good luck in your quest.

tb-av
02-06-12, 09:15
Rob_S ,

Richmond, VA

The old -- http://fandistrict.org/

The new -- http://www.westbroadvillage.com/index.php

Not many places to shoot though. Not what you are used to anyway.

RogerinTPA
02-06-12, 09:48
Downtown St Pete, by Vanoi park north of the Pier. You can get a nice home, with backyard, garage with ally access, or condo, walk to concerts and festivals in the park, bars, restaurants, & movies, all with in a 2 mile area. Gun ranges are so so. You wont have the luxury of a range you currently have access to, to do matches or drills on the level you're accustom to. I have strongly considered getting a few acres just to shoot on, south of plant city or there abouts.

Irish
02-06-12, 12:19
Are you looking to live in a certain geographical area? Staying on the east coast or is there a possibility of moving west? What about the VA area? Lots of history and plenty of gun guys living in that area although I haven't spent much time there.

rob_s
02-06-12, 12:22
Are you looking to live in a certain geographical area? Staying on the east coast or is there a possibility of moving west? What about the VA area? Lots of history and plenty of gun guys living in that area although I haven't spent much time there.

Not sure really. Family, immediate anyway, is mostly east. would ideally prefer to stay in southeast simply because of the climate.

Evil Colt 6920
02-06-12, 13:48
+1 on Charleston. That was another perk of living on Hilton Head Island, SC. Close enough for a day trip but I would go as a weekend get away quite often. The downtown area is beautiful with lots to do. Charleston Vs. Savannah is a close tie for me. Charleston is a bit more upscale / clean.

Another thing I would enjoy about Charleston is the cruise lines that depart from there. I cruise often and it would be nice if the ship sailed from home eliminating a drive and having to pay to park for 7+ days. Id prolly end up on more cruises too :D

ra2bach
02-06-12, 14:47
I've just gotten used to being able to spend the whole year outside shooting and doing other stuff. I don't think I'd adapt well to the frozen north and being homebound all the time. The times I have gone north in the winder I've been miserable.

Ideally would be a town in FL with a decent urban area but I don't think that's happening. I started looking around Atlanta but the only IDPA and USPSA I could find in the area was an hour + away.

I was going to say Johnson City, TN till you mentioned the weather and looking in ATL.

c'mon up to Alpharetta. I'll show you around... :cool:

Gutshot John
02-06-12, 15:05
Pittsburgh can get cold, snowy but it's really not that bad compared to NY state and New England or the Midwest. We actually will get fewer heavy snows than say Washington DC which gets socked with the occasional nor'easter. So instead of a 12-20" of snow in 24 hours, you'll more likely to get 2-3" of snow/day for 4-5 days straight. The real downside to Pittsburgh winters is the "long grey" between late November to March where it's either overcast, rainy or snow. All the hills in the region don't help but I think Seattle gets more sunny days than Pittsburgh. The gun laws here can't be beat though. Allegheny county I believe has the largest per capita population of CCW holders. The people are very nice (though they can't drive to save their lives) and there is a good amount of family friendly fun to be had.

Austin TX is a great area and I'd love to live there, that said, I wasn't too impressed with the amount of homeless and other shadier elements. There is also the 51% gun law which is annoying if you want to carry. It does have a booming economy though so there is that but it seems like a much younger town if you're older than 35.

I might consider the VA Tidewater region if I were you.

rob_s
02-06-12, 15:09
Pittsburgh can get cold, snowy but it's really not that bad compared to NY state and New England or the Midwest. We actually will get fewer heavy snows than say Washington DC which gets socked with the occasional nor'easter. So instead of a 12-20" of snow in 24 hours, you'll more likely to get 2-3" of snow/day for 4-5 days straight. The real downside to Pittsburgh winters is the "long grey" between late November to March where it's either overcast, rainy or snow. All the hills in the region don't help but I think Seattle gets more sunny days than Pittsburgh. The gun laws here can't be beat though. Allegheny county I believe has the largest per capita population of CCW holders. The people are very nice (though they can't drive to save their lives) and there is a good amount of family friendly fun to be had.

I went to a wedding in Pittsburgh 6 years ago +/- and liked what I saw to some extent.

You hit on a big part of the NE for me, which is the grey. When I landed in BWI last Friday and got in the rental car and started driving I just never could wake up. And it was 2 in the afternoon! I got in late last night and it was already dark here, and then this morning it was raining when I came in to work. I need some damn sunshine and am thinking of bolting from work early to get some sun.

maximus83
02-06-12, 15:43

I'm biased of course, but I have lived in 7 states and the one I currently live in, Washington, would be my top pick when factoring in the two areas you are looking at: decent urban area plus nice community and options for shooting activities.

There are lots of nice urban areas in WA state and Puget Sound is one of them. While the state as a whole is controlled by the predominantly liberal Seattle/Puget Sound population in the sense of having incredibly brain-dead socialistic politics (as with the rest of the "left coast"), there are some beautiful urban areas in the state, some wonderful places to shoot, and despite the idiot politics, really the current gun laws are quite open, and getting better. Also, a lot of the nice urban areas are really close to beautiful hiking, backpacking, climbing, rafting, fishing, and shooting areas. One of my favorite areas is around Wenatchee. Spokane is similar in that regard. Up around Bellingham is a cool area too, as are some areas around Olympia. I really like Maple Valley as one of my favorite areas, but it's more small town and prob not "urban" as you are looking for. Only a few downsides to the Puget Sound/Seattle area that might make you want to consider some of the other areas I mentioned instead:
* Puget Sound/Seattle has annoying socialistic and idiotic politics, not so much about firearms, but everything else. It just bugs me!
* Cost of housing is quite high here. Not San Francisco high, but similar to some areas of Chicago. Very expensive!
* Rifle ranges are a ways out. Now for PISTOLS, there are some very nice pistol ranges close by and you can also shoot AR's at most of these (I'm a member of Wades in Bellevue, which is ok, plus there are 2 new ones on the East side that are excellent, forward-thinking facilities designed around tactical training: West Coast Armory in Bellevue, and Shooting Sports Northwest, in Bothell). However, to get to decent rifle ranges where you can shoot at long distances and train with your AR FOW or other semi-auto rifles, you generally have to drive out farther as most ranges that are in close are restrictive, "Fudd" ranges aimed mostly at hunters. I drive to the Cascade range down in Ravensdale, which is near Maple Valley. Excellent range, and there are many other great ranges in the states (most of the great ones are NOT within an hour's drive of the Puget Sound area, though).

The gun laws, despite the liberalism, have really improved just in the last 5 years or so. Carry laws are "shall issue" and wide open, with a state preemption law to prevent stupid local laws from overriding state laws. For those so inclined, open carry is widely practiced in this state. Recently we got a new suppressor law, so anybody who's registered ATF can now not just OWN, but actually USE, a suppressor. And I believe they are working on adding a law to allow SBR's, which are currently banned for most shooters.

Probably if I were not "job bound", and if I could live anywhere in the state I wanted, I'd probably live around the Wenatchee area as it's just gorgeous, mountains and the Columbia river are nearby, and half a dozen nice shooting ranges are within a fairly reasonable drive.

sniperfrog
02-07-12, 20:06
Knoxville or Nashville Tennessee.

Tennessee is a very pro-gun state. Cost of living is alot lower than other states. No state income tax. Pretty decent weather. Knoxville has alot of really nice neighborhoods around the UT campus. Or you can live out with the hillbillys like me but I'm only about 20 minutes from downtown Knoxville.

Nashville is pretty nice too but I'm not as familiar with it.

In the Knoxville area, there is the Oak Ridge Sportsman Association. Pretty large shooting area with a 1000 yard highpower range, 7 action pistol bays and a rifle bay for 3 gun, 3 trap/skeet ranges, benchrest range, plinking range, indoor range and an archery range.

They host highpower matches, IDPA, USPSA pistol and 3 gun, and cowboy action.

markm
02-08-12, 07:07
Pittsburgh can get cold, snowy but it's really not that bad compared to

They need a pro football team though!!! Just kidding.... AZ doesn't have pro football either! :agree:

HES
02-08-12, 17:01
Downtown St Pete, by Vanoi park north of the Pier. You can get a nice home, with backyard, garage with ally access, or condo, walk to concerts and festivals in the park, bars, restaurants, & movies, all with in a 2 mile area. Gun ranges are so so. You wont have the luxury of a range you currently have access to, to do matches or drills on the level you're accustom to. I have strongly considered getting a few acres just to shoot on, south of plant city or there abouts.
Yep. St. Pete has some nice areas. On the Tampa side of the bay I would suggest maybe Seminole Heights. It's bungalows not brownstones. You can walk to a lot of stuff, but not all. You can also check out the Hyde Park and SOHO areas. SOHO especially puts you in walking distance of all sorts of good eats. Roger is also right. Ranges aint that great. You have Wyoming Antelope Club that hosts IDPA and other matches. For an outdoor range I think the closest to you would be in Riverview, which is about an hours drive from St. Pete, about a 1/2 hour from the Tampa areas I mentioned.

sjc3081
02-09-12, 15:44
Rob
What are the negatives of where you live now? What
are you looking to move away from ?

NinjaMedic
02-09-12, 19:11
I would advise you to visit the Austin area. It is perfect if you are looking for an upscale urban community, great food, great atmosphere. Reputation is that of a very liberal community surrounded by the conservative State of Texas however I would argue that the community is becoming much more libertarian that liberal over time.

We have one of the lowest crime rates of any major metropolitan areas, a great economy, no state income tax, excellent gun laws, snow fall 1 or two days a year, plenty of hunting and fishing nearby, and a 1000yd rifle range with tactical bays 30 mins from downtown.

Most of all we have UT cheerleaders . . .

I wouldn't live anywhere else inside or outside of Texas.

rob_s
02-09-12, 19:31
Rob
What are the negatives of where you live now? What
are you looking to move away from ?

Think of all the negatives you've ever heard of SE FL. Every one of them is true. That's what I want to leave.

I have some GREAT friends here that I consider family, but virtually every one of them wants to leave too. I don't want to be the one constantly holding the bag, left to find new people to town that can't wait to leave.

Most of all I want away from the pretentious, flashy, vapid, superficial, "culture". I put "culture" in quotes because it's not, it's the absence of culture and the money that fills the void, and drives it away.

sjc3081
02-22-12, 19:22
Rob
I'm in your neck of the woods this week Delray,Boca Raton and Boynton Beach, can see what you mean.
Great tits and ass everywhere.
I work in manhattan so I know what fine wealthy women look like,

sjc3081
02-22-12, 19:32
Rob
I'm in your neck of the woods this week Delray,Boca Raton and Boynton Beach, can see what you mean.
Great tits and ass everywhere.
I work in manhattan so I know what fine wealthy women look like,

Kfgk14
02-22-12, 20:54
Try NH. Low cost of living, good ranges, some of the best gun laws, and surprisingly good schools.

The_War_Wagon
02-22-12, 21:05
They need a pro football team though!!! Just kidding.... AZ doesn't have pro football either! :agree:

That's why WV doesn't have a pro team - OH & MD would want one then, too. :dance3:

Redmanfms
02-22-12, 23:13
Rob_S ,

Richmond, VA

The old -- http://fandistrict.org/

The new -- http://www.westbroadvillage.com/index.php

Not many places to shoot though. Not what you are used to anyway.

Ugh. Seriously? Richmond is a hole.

Rob, the only city I've been to that comes close to matching your criteria is Austin. Fairly dense, tons of stuff to do, not as shitty as NY, and in a gun friendly state (though the city certainly isn't). I've only visited, but I can honestly say that were I to choose to live in a city, Austin would be my first choice.

Redmanfms
02-22-12, 23:26

I was stationed in Goose Creek. I had a ball in Charleston, but most of the city is a turd circling the bowl.

Mt. Pleasant and the "islands" are nice if you don't mind living on borrowed time (learn what liquefaction is). Downtown? Oh man, SOB (that's South of Broad) is incredible. Ridiculously expensive though. SNOB (that's Slightly North of Broad) is the "hip" part of town now(or was in the early oughts when I was there), but also ridiculously expensive. There are no actual "high rises" in Charleston, the soil simply won't support them, but it's a quaint old town with plenty to keep a single man enthralled. Except for downtown and across the river 'burbs, the city resembles a demilitarized zone.

I'll add Albuquerque. A lot like Austin, but smaller. Not as many homeless types last time I rolled through. I remember property being a lot cheaper too, but that might not be true anymore.

OldState
02-22-12, 23:47
Philly Suburbs.

Several members of my wife's family moved down to FL in the 80's chasing warm weather. They are almost all back..most following their kids who were raised in FL. The kids came back for the culture and far better job market. Also they hated the heat and humidity.

The restaurant scene is awesome. History everywhere. Hunting and fishing. 2hrs from the ocean and the mountains.

I like the seasons and actually like the winter but the Fall is the best. Given the choice of 40 degrees and dry vs 95 and humid...well its not even a choice.

---Plus the gun laws are outstanding.

The Pennsylvania Constitution:

Article I Section 21

"The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."

That's how the 2nd Amendment in the US Constitution should have been written.

Gun laws are required to be the same through the State. Philly can not make their own gun laws like NYC despite what the Mayor says.

Also, the Castle Doctrine was just passed.

rob_s
02-23-12, 04:30
I was stationed in Goose Creek. I had a ball in Charleston, but most of the city is a turd circling the bowl.

Mt. Pleasant and the "islands" are nice if you don't mind living on borrowed time (learn what liquefaction is). Downtown? Oh man, SOB (that's South of Broad) is incredible. Ridiculously expensive though. SNOB (that's Slightly North of Broad) is the "hip" part of town now(or was in the early oughts when I was there), but also ridiculously expensive. There are no actual "high rises" in Charleston, the soil simply won't support them, but it's a quaint old town with plenty to keep a single man enthralled. Except for downtown and across the river 'burbs, the city resembles a demilitarized zone.

I'll add Albuquerque. A lot like Austin, but smaller. Not as many homeless types last time I rolled through. I remember property being a lot cheaper too, but that might not be true anymore.

FWIW, I'm not looking for "urban" in terms of what most people who hate it think of it with high rises and such like Manhattan or downtown Chicago (although I love Chicago, just couldn't do the weather thing and the gun laws are obviously a non-starter for me). I'm thinking more like Queens with 2-3 story homes, shops and bars on corners here and there, churches mixed in, etc.

I loved Charleston, and Savannah, when I was there but you're right the desirable area in terms of what I'm looking for in both is expensive and then ringed or bordered by a really, really undesirable area. When I was in Savannah it was east of the cemetery, and when I was in Charleston we crossed over a bridge to get to the old district and turned right, if you turned left it went to shit immediately (we turned left by mistake, or the guy driving did, and made a hasty retreat).

rob_s
02-23-12, 04:34
Philly Suburbs.

Several members of my wife's family moved down to FL in the 80's chasing warm weather. They are almost all back..most following their kids who were raised in FL. The kids came back for the culture and far better job market. Also they hated the heat and humidity.

The restaurant scene is awesome. History everywhere. Hunting and fishing. 2hrs from the ocean and the mountains.

I like the seasons and actually like the winter but the Fall is the best. Given the choice of 40 degrees and dry vs 95 and humid...well its not even a choice.

I'm sure it's somehow different up there, but when I hear "suburbs" it makes my skin crawl.

I frankly love Florida. I'm a native so maybe I don't know better. I love what I see as the "culture" north of here (most people move to Broward, Dade, or Palm Beach counties and then complain about "flo-ri-duh" but don't realize they never really saw Florida) but outside of Jacksonville which appears to be dead financially there aren't any urban areas to move to. That's actually not true, as the South Beach and Brickell Ave. areas of Miami are actually exactly what I want in terms of density etc. I just don't speak the language.

I'm glad to hear that at least a few people that didn't like it moved back where they came from. The rest just stay here and bitch. I remind them frequently that the planes, highways, and trains go both directions. :p

montanadave
02-23-12, 09:00
I frankly love Florida. I'm a native so maybe I don't know better.

Reminds me of a conversation I had with my mom about fifty years ago. We were visiting my grandparents up in the panhandle (sleepy little town along the Apalachicola River) and during one particularly miserable steamy, sultry summer afternoon, I turned to my mom and asked, "Why do people live here?"

"Honey, they don't know any better," my mom replied. :smile:

It was a nice vacation, but I was glad to get back home to Montana. That "humadiddy" is a killer for me.

Smuckatelli
02-23-12, 10:16
FWIW, I'm not looking for "urban" in terms of what most people who hate it think of it with high rises and such like Manhattan or downtown Chicago (although I love Chicago, just couldn't do the weather thing and the gun laws are obviously a non-starter for me). I'm thinking more like Queens with 2-3 story homes, shops and bars on corners here and there, churches mixed in, etc.

You should probably take a look at Old Town Alexandria in Virginia.

Cincinnatus
02-23-12, 10:31

San Antonio, TX.
Fort Worth, TX.
Both will match this description, but San Antone the more so.

Cincinnatus
02-23-12, 10:32
You should probably take a look at Old Town Alexandria in Virginia.

Only if you intend to rent. Buying in that town is astoundingly high.

sinlessorrow
02-23-12, 11:49

i live in Port Neches, TX. its a little area but the houses are nice and its a refinery area.

oh yeah and we have great gun laws

Smuckatelli
02-23-12, 13:47
Only if you intend to rent. Buying in that town is astoundingly high.

Rob didn't say anthing about price but I'll throw out there, his requirements are exactly why housing cost so much there.

rob_s
02-23-12, 13:50
Rob didn't say anthing about price but I'll throw out there, his requirements are exactly why housing cost so much there.

That does seem to be the case in most of the areas I've looked at, unfortunately.

OldState
02-23-12, 14:03
I'm sure it's somehow different up there, but when I hear "suburbs" it makes my skin crawl.

I think you have the wrong image I your head.

I had a job that had me traveling extensively and I got to spend time in 42 states. I still travel a bit and I only missed the Pacific NW.

Based on my experience I would only live between Philadelphia and Northern Va.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy other areas;

IMHO,

Colorado is the prettiest,

Texans are my favorite people (BBQ is the best)

I feel the most comfortable in the South (Most of FL is not the real South)

San Diego has the best weather

New Hampshire is my favorite place to backpack

South Jersey Shore points are the best (no, not "Jersey Shore" Jersey)

NYC is the most impressive city......

Etc

The thing I hate the most when I travel is when I go out to eat there is nothing but chain restaurants. That indicates to me that there is no real deep routed culture.

In the Philadelphia area there are every few Pizza Huts for example because they can't compete with the mom and pop pizza joints with real life Italians in charge.

When I way all the important thing to me this area has the a lot of everything.

rob_s
02-23-12, 14:11
I think you have the wrong image I your head.

I guess so. If you have to get in the car to go everywhere because nothing is in walking distance, then that's where I don't want to be, and what "suburbs" means to me. It means the exact opposite of what I want, and it means the exact worst of everything: too close to the neighbors but nothing to do.

When I hear "suburbs" I think of the neighborhood in Edward Scissorhands. or the more modern equivalent.

skyugo
02-23-12, 14:14
fort collins colorado is gun friendly but with all the conveniences you'd want. Winters happen, but they're not bad.

OldState
02-23-12, 14:35
I guess so. If you have to get in the car to go everywhere because nothing is in walking distance, then that's where I don't want to be, and what "suburbs" means to me. It means the exact opposite of what I want, and it means the exact worst of everything: too close to the neighbors but nothing to do.

When I hear "suburbs" I think of the neighborhood in Edward Scissorhands. or the more modern equivalent.

I must have the wrong idea of what you what. Sounds like you want to be in a city. Personally you couldn't pay me to live in a city but...

Most cities cost a lot of money to live in nice areas. You will also pay a lot more in taxes, be reliant on public transportation, lots of noise, increased crime, more political corruption, etc. For me the the negatives FAR outway the positives. I can be in downtown Philly in 25 minutes if I want to go.

If you have $1-2million to spend on a house or $3000 a month I could recommend some nice places in Philly that would put you in walking distance of everything you want....

If I had to live in a City i did like the Alexandria Va recommendation. You should have an income of over $150k and preferably $200K to live there comfortably.

rob_s
02-23-12, 14:45
I must have the wrong idea of what you what. Sounds like you want to be in a city. Personally you couldn't pay me to live in a city but...

Most cities cost a lot of money to live in nice areas. You will also pay a lot more in taxes, be reliant on public transportation, lots of noise, increased crime, more political corruption, etc. For me the the negatives FAR outway the positives. I can be in downtown Philly in 25 minutes if I want to go.

If you have $1-2million to spend on a house or $3000 a month I could recommend some nice places in Philly that would put you in walking distance of everything you want....

If I had to live in a City i did like the Alexandria Va recommendation. You should have an income of over $150k and preferably $200K to live there comfortably.

I don't think I was misleading in any way. What part of what I posted in this thread wasn't clear?

First post

subsequent posts

I loved Charleston, and Savannah, when I was there but you're right the desirable area in terms of what I'm looking for in both is expensive and then ringed or bordered by a really, really undesirable area. When I was in Savannah it was east of the cemetery, and when I was in Charleston we crossed over a bridge to get to the old district and turned right, if you turned left it went to shit immediately (we turned left by mistake, or the guy driving did, and made a hasty retreat).

OldState
02-23-12, 15:39
I don't think I was misleading in any way. What part of what I posted in this thread wasn't clear?

First post

subsequent posts

In other posts it seemed to me that you were not 100% in the urban market