PDA

View Full Version : My First Build...plenty of Q's

Blstr88
02-05-12, 21:42
I grabbed a Spikes lower a couple weeks ago, followed some online instructions and put the entire lower together. Came out really well and I was actually quite surprised how well it came out.

Originally I was planning a 16" carbine build, but Ive recently decided to go with a 20" (or so) rifle build for a long range "precision" type rifle instead.

I was planning to build the upper from all (or mostly) parts from Bravo company, however they seem to be "out of stock" of almost everything I was planning to go with.

Any suggestions on places to shop for parts? Im really look to build this from higher quality parts. I wanted to do the upper out of entirely BCM...but LMT, Colt, DD, Noveske, etc would all be ok with me too.

I'll post up some good shots of the lower tomorrow, I want to detail this entire build as I make progress. Thanks!

Kyohte
02-05-12, 21:55
www.gandrtactical.com

and...

www.rainierarms.com

Both offer great service and sell higher end parts.

devinsdad
02-06-12, 10:46
You can also try AIM Surplus and Palmetto State Armory for AR parts. Lots of parts and good deals to boot. All the Magpul, Spikes stuff at AIM ships for free as well. I know some have had issue with Botach, however I've yet to have a problem with them and everything ships free. It is truely an AR builders market. At no other time have more companies made more products for one weapon than right now.

markm
02-06-12, 10:53
If you're wanting a precision gun, I'd get a White Oak Armament barrel. There are a couple other, more expensive barrels too... but WOA is a pretty good bang for the buck.

El Cid
02-06-12, 12:24
Also, have you been looking around the precision area of the site? Few folks seem to use a 20" bbl. Most go with 16 or 18. I personally think whatever you lose in velocity is more than worth the portability. YMMV.

Tzook
02-06-12, 14:38
I think you'd be wise to go with an 18. And between any of those higher end manufacturers, you're gonna do just fine. BCM, DD, Noveske, LMT, it doesn't matter. All great stuff.

And I'll second the WOA recommendation. I had one on my current rifle before switching to a lighter weight BCM. It's incredibly accurate, especially at a 16". It was just way too heavy for my needs.

ajosephngs
02-06-12, 15:06
Sounds like a fun build. I'm not sure how much "precision" you are looking for but I'd look hard at a stainless 18" Noveske barrel, BCM carrier group, upper and gunfighter charging handle. I'm not experienced with White Oak so these gents may be well past my knowledge already but I dig Noveske's work and when I start my next build there is going to be a Noveske barrel on it.

Cheers.

Blstr88
02-06-12, 16:28
Wow thanks for the replies.

I like the look of the WOA barrels a lot...looks solid and its priced well. They all say chambered for .223 though...I'd really prefer something in 5.56 so I can choose between 223/556.

El Cid
02-06-12, 16:51
Wow thanks for the replies.

I like the look of the WOA barrels a lot...looks solid and its priced well. They all say chambered for .223 though...I'd really prefer something in 5.56 so I can choose between 223/556.

The Lilja bbl I'm using has a .223 Wylde chamber that would permit shooting both. It's more accurate than I am, but it is a bit on the heavy side and only comes in Carbine gas (not mid-length).