PDA

View Full Version : Clint Eastwood Chrystler commercial

jwfuhrman
02-05-12, 22:22
IMO, best commercial goes to Chrystler for their commercial with Clint Eastwood.

It's half time America, our 2nd half is just about to begin.

Idk, but I love the Imported from Detroit thing they are doing.

Oh and the Silverado/2012 Armegeddon commercial was funny. Where's bob? Bob didn't drive the longest lasting most dependable truck. bob drove a ford...... Twinkie? Haha

woodandsteel
02-05-12, 23:35
I missed the Clint Eastwood Commercial.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PE5V4Uzobc&noredirect=1

The Chevy Silverado Commercial was pretty funny
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1053601-chevrolet-silverado-2012-super-bowl-commercial-mayan-apocalypse

Clint
02-05-12, 23:47
That was a good one. He's awesome.

chuckman
02-06-12, 07:59
I went out and bought a Jeep after that commercial. Not really, but I wanted to.

The_War_Wagon
02-06-12, 08:02
Well the No Fun League has already pulled the commerical :rolleyes: - if you find ANOTHER link, feel free to post it because I MISSED it!

Treehopr
02-06-12, 08:03
It was a great commercial, part Al Pacino- part Ronald Reagan.

Too bad I actually own a couple of Jeeps and would never buy one again due to my experiences with the local Jeep dealerships :rolleyes:

MarkG
02-06-12, 08:13
Better link below... No commercials to sit through before the commercial.

Trajan
02-06-12, 08:14
Well the No Fun League has already pulled the commerical :rolleyes: - if you find ANOTHER link, feel free to post it because I MISSED it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRZ6rKlw65A

Link was on Drudge.

montanadave
02-06-12, 09:17
Yeah, I think the greedy little ****s at the NFL home office must have been inundated with angry comments because the ad's up and available again on a variety of websites.

And I agree. It's a great ad.

The_War_Wagon
02-06-12, 09:29
Nice ad.

I know he doesn't want the job, but wouldn't Clint Eastwood be the PERFECT President for this day & age? Unlike most candyass Hollyweird types, he can STILL walk the walk, even at his age.

That said, I bought a Jeep in October - PRE-Obama model. :D '07 Commander.

kwelz
02-06-12, 09:43
I can't stand Chrysler or Dodge. but that commercial makes me want one!

The Silverado commercial was really good too. Ford was trying to get it pulled. They sent off some nasty letters to the NFL, NBC, and GM about it.

Cesiumsponge
02-06-12, 09:56
Ah star power, even lousy products look great with the right spokesperson pulling the heartstrings. If they could only use those same strings to lift themselves from the lower pits of the JD Powers and Consumer Report reliability lists. At least it isn't a Land Rover!

CyberM4
02-06-12, 13:01
Fiat owns Chrysler 58%+ :big_boss:

Cesiumsponge
02-06-12, 14:31
Fiat also owns Ferrari and Maserati so being a subsidiary of Fiat doesn't mean very much. Mercedes kind of used Chrysler as a dumping ground too.

ra2bach
02-06-12, 14:37
I went out and bought a Jeep after that commercial. Not really, but I wanted to.

I did...

well, not really after but only 246 miles before... :cool:

SHIVAN
02-06-12, 14:47
I honestly thought they were going to flash some Obama propoganda at some point during the commercial, or talk about the bailout being paid back, or whatever.

Wasn't really a fan.

The message would be good, if it was not tainted by the very recent past.

Zhurdan
02-06-12, 14:57
Pretty sure Christian Bale took his vocal lessons for "The Dark Knight" from Mr. Eastwood. :D

maximus83
02-06-12, 15:00
It was a great commercial, part Al Pacino- part Ronald Reagan.

Too bad I actually own a couple of Jeeps and would never buy one again due to my experiences with the local Jeep dealerships :rolleyes:

Yep. Clint's great, so is the general message.

But there's a "cognitive dissonance" for me, which contradicts the message. And that's the idea that car companies--especially Chrysler--are somehow poised to lead the way to "America's 2nd half." Chrysler may be doing RELATIVELY better, compared to their own recent dismal history, but going from being dead last in a race to STILL being dead last but just not as far behind, is hardly a great victory. The facts on the ground are that most of their vehicles have very poor quality control, Chrysler products (if you look at any consumer research publications on incidence of repair such as Consumer Reports) are nearly always inferior to everyone else's in the quality control department. Maybe they've somehow completely turned that around, just with this year's crop of vehicles. But I doubt it. Really, I don't see evidence yet that any of our big automakers are shining examples of innovative thinking, great design, or sound business practices that will lead us into the 21st century. I hope I'm wrong, but not seeing it.

The "2nd half" leadership and innovation from the business world, IMO, is going to have to come from somewhere other than the auto companies. Their mediocrity is almost a given, because they are controlled almost completely by unionized workforces where the focus is on getting better benefits for workers and not on producing great quality and high value products.

Belmont31R
02-06-12, 15:16
Easy to say when you take billions in tax payers dollars. Is that how we're going to 'get back'?

J-Dub
02-06-12, 15:33
Ya i think i'll stick with my Toyota. They got enough money handed to them by the government.

hell i'd hope they're "coming back" after that...

Cesiumsponge
02-06-12, 15:49
I don't care much for Ford products but Ford has fantastic reliability as ranked by consumer reporting agencies, they didn't get bailed out, and they're doing reasonably well. I can't fault the Ford Motor Company.

Thomas M-4
02-06-12, 16:03
On a lighter note I thaught the KIA commercial was pretty funny.
http://www.youtube.com/user/kiamotorsamerica/featured?v=lHZbXvts0LE&cid=sem&ppc=y

ryr8828
02-06-12, 16:10
On a lighter note I thaught the KIA commercial was pretty funny.
http://www.youtube.com/user/kiamotorsamerica/featured?v=lHZbXvts0LE&cid=sem&ppc=y
I liked that but I love the kia hamster commercial. Sometimes I click it up on youtube just to watch it again. Think I will watch it right now.

I know there's something wrong with me.

d90king
02-06-12, 16:13
IMO, best commercial goes to Chrystler for their commercial with Clint Eastwood.

It's half time America, our 2nd half is just about to begin.

Idk, but I love the Imported from Detroit thing they are doing.

Oh and the Silverado/2012 Armegeddon commercial was funny. Where's bob? Bob didn't drive the longest lasting most dependable truck. bob drove a ford...... Twinkie? Haha

Agreed! The sound of his voice is stirring in that commercial.

maximus83
02-06-12, 17:05

This is true. The visual of Clint, plus his voice, gives the whole "feel" of the message a certain gravitas.

Now, if Clint could be persuaded to use his presence and this same kind of message, but support it with an historical example of somebody or some company that made a real substantial turnaround, THEN it would be a lot more compelling. My problem is that at first it's so cool, and then I realize it's talking about Chrysler, and it's like, "Are you SERIOUS?"

DeltaSierra
02-06-12, 17:06
Ya i think i'll stick with my Toyota. They got enough money handed to them by the government.

hell i'd hope they're "coming back" after that...

Chrysler makes inferior products, and charges a premium for their junk....

Personally, I prefer my Toyota over any US made vehicles, as it is more reliable, gets better gas mileage, and is more easily repaired than its US made competition.

nickdrak
02-06-12, 17:10
I honestly thought they were going to flash some Obama propoganda at some point during the commercial, or talk about the bailout being paid back, or whatever.

Wasn't really a fan.

The message would be good, if it was not tainted by the very recent past.

^Agreed

BrianS
02-06-12, 17:35
The Silverado commercial was really good too. Ford was trying to get it pulled. They sent off some nasty letters to the NFL, NBC, and GM about it.

They should have just made a commercial about the F150 being the only truck that didn't need a bail out in the real appocalypse the automative industry faced in the United States back in 2008.

;)

Sam
02-06-12, 18:19
Is it a car commercial or an ad for the democrat in charge? When he referred to the "second half", is he talking about the second half of the 8 year presidency? Just sayin'.

I like Clint in his cowboy and Dirty Harry movie. I even like him in the Gran Torino movie. I'm not buying this commercial.

As for my car, I'm giving the Korean a try. They may own the company (Kia), but the workers are from Georgia and Alabama.

ForTehNguyen
02-06-12, 18:27
this "Imported from Detroit" commercial was filmed in New Orleans

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/detroit-comeback-ad-filmed-new-orleans-la_621036.html

jmp45
02-06-12, 18:46
Is it a car commercial or an ad for the democrat in charge? When he referred to the "second half", is he talking about the second half of the 8 year presidency? Just sayin'.

I hadn't seen the commercial but this is what some of the news pundants were saying. I had thought Clint was on the right, not so sure now.

armakraut
02-06-12, 20:38

Reminded me of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjcgKGSAOQI

Javelin
02-06-12, 20:52
Very cool commercial.

But I won't be buying a GM or Chrysler product. :dirol:

Honu
02-07-12, 00:57
I wont hold it against Clint :)

I heard he donated everything that he got from the commercial to Charity ?

it is a bit of a political but that is going to happen from GOV Motors of course

I liked the ad cause I like Clint :)

crusader377
02-07-12, 08:47
I thought it was a great commercial and quite frankly I don't see the politicalization in the commercial.

On another note, Chrysler has made substantial improvements since Fiat has taken partial ownership. Chrysler recently improved the interiors, engines, and transmissions on their new cars and are making improvements in total quality. There has probably been more positive activity from them in the last 2 years than the previous 10 before that.

The sad thing though is that it took partial foreign ownership with foreign executives to actually make the positive changes.

jwfuhrman
02-07-12, 08:57
While it may have potential political meaning, I see past that for what it's supposed to mean.

We can't be knocked out with one punch. We get back up and keep going. It truly is our Half Time, and it's time to change the flow of the game.

montanadave
02-07-12, 09:41
I agree with those who have resisted the seemingly nonstop effort by anyone and everyone to politicize and polarize every ****ing issue so as to turn Americans against one another.

I watched an ad that was inspiring in it's message that, while this country has taken some pretty good hits in the last decade, we have the ability to pull together, learn from our missteps, and build a stronger, more resilient, and more productive nation. More productive not just as a measure of GDP but more productive in the quality and character of our people.

All this negativity makes me want to puke. It seems like our leadership does nothing but blackmail the public with fear of this and fear of them. I've been told to be afraid of one thing after another for over a decade. I'm sick of it.

I'm no pollyanna. I know there are bad people in the world and legitimate threats. But holding your breath every day waiting for the next disaster to pop up on your TV or browser while your life passes you by is a ****ing waste. Screw that! Life's too short to spend it looking over your shoulder all the time. Get out and enjoy your life! Build something that will still be standing when you're dead.

SHIVAN
02-07-12, 10:10
I see that the people who are always foaming at the mouth over government misqueues and overstepping are able to suspend their rabidness when it suits their world-view. :rolleyes:

It's a commercial for Chrysler. It obviously worked, and the marketing geniuses should get a HUGE bonus for taking anti-govt "pitbulls" and turning them in to Bichons.

The US Government made a foreign entity a sweetheart deal (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2011/06/fiat-to-get-52-of-chrysler-by-paying-500-million-for-treasurys-6/1) that netted that foreign entity a 52% stake in an "American" car manufacturer.

Sorry, I didn't make it "political", the US Government made it political.

Cesiumsponge
02-07-12, 10:42
Yeah, no kidding. It was a commercial for Chrysler, not America. They didn't get knocked out in one punch for putting out a shitty product because Uncle Sam took money out of my pocket to fix their ****ups and I'm supposed to feel grateful for that? :rolleyes: GM hasn't even paid back its loans yet and it never will.

Crap products since the k-car, and I love Mopar.

crusader377
02-07-12, 11:02
Yeah, no kidding. It was a commercial for Chrysler, not America. They didn't get knocked out in one punch for putting out a shitty product because Uncle Sam took money out of my pocket to fix their ****ups and I'm supposed to feel grateful for that? :rolleyes: GM hasn't even paid back its loans yet and it never will.

Crap products since the k-car, and I love Mopar.

Actually they have paid back their loans.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/25/business/25chrysler.html?_r=1

Cesiumsponge
02-07-12, 11:07

I said GM, not Chrysler

crusader377
02-07-12, 11:39
I said GM, not Chrysler

Sorry for mis-reading your post. You are probably right with GM because they have a different relationship with the Govt than Chrysler had.

JSantoro
02-07-12, 11:42
Heh. Conversation w/Dad...

Blah blah Clint Eastwood commercial yadda woot!
LOL changes nothing, bailout, Chysler sux, domestic sux, you suck.
*loud angry noises*

(Dad drives a Dodge...)

:D Good times.....

Honu
02-07-12, 13:58

they got the money for the payback from the GOV !!!! its a bogus payback

Fiat got to buy shares at a reduced rate
but Fiat had no money so Steven Chu approved a loan for 3.5 billion for a certain energy efficient car program for Fiat ?

so Fiat just happened to come up with 3.5 billion to buy into Chrysler ?
wow what a coincidence

and while they so called paid back 7.6 I wish they paid back the whole 13 billion they got !

Cesiumsponge
02-07-12, 15:06
Haha, is that how Chrysler did it? I held my tongue because I wasnt certain how they came up with billions on short notice.

GM paid back the pure loan portion of TARP ($6.7 billion) using funds from a Treasury escrow account, so they paid back taxpayers with taxpayer money coming out of another pot. The rest of the $49 billion was used to purchase stock, much riskier than debt. Not a dime of the loan was paid with earnings, just more taxpayer money. Then a huge press campaign about how it was 5 years ahead of schedule because people were buying GM! So they paid back 14% of the loan with another loan and stock has to hit over $120 a share to break even.

<insert "buy American" jingoism here>

Nathan_Bell
02-07-12, 16:00

Paid off their loans, but still cost US $1.3 Billion

http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/21/autos/chrysler_government_exit/index.htm

GeorgiaBoy
02-07-12, 18:44
Chrysler makes inferior products, and charges a premium for their junk....

Personally, I prefer my Toyota over any US made vehicles, as it is more reliable, gets better gas mileage, and is more easily repaired than its US made competition.

This type of propaganda has existed way too long. While it may be somewhat true that American vehicles were inferior to imports in the late 80's through the 90's, in the past 10 years they have improved dramatically. Most modern car review and rating organizations give very high ratings to domestic vehicles. Gas mileage is steadily increasing as well. As for "easily repaired", you kind of lost me there. Don't really see how they are different. Besides, if they were so much better, you shouldn't be repairing them. :rolleyes:

GM, Ford, and Chrysler will continue to have a bad reputation as long as the "reliability" dogma keeps rolling around.

Renegade
02-07-12, 18:58
If this is halftime we played a pretty piss-poor first half.

rojocorsa
02-07-12, 19:37
Well someone already made a parody...

-j_8qCbHsUA

armakraut
02-07-12, 19:59

-j_8qCbHsUA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j_8qCbHsUA

That's awesome.

Sam
02-07-12, 21:04

That's awesome.

Now I like that one. :)

Cesiumsponge
02-07-12, 23:58

-j_8qCbHsUA
Remy Munasifi is fantastic.

The parody on Occupy Wall Street to the tune of The Times They Are a-Changin' is pretty fun too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QTfNEDgusQ

Javelin
02-08-12, 00:30
If this is halftime we played a pretty piss-poor first half.

Yeah no kidding. Who was coaching?

streck
02-08-12, 10:17

That's awesome.

That is a much more realistic version.