PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready for my 1st build...BCM, AXTS

Signal Zero
02-05-12, 23:25
Well, since I've been poaching the site for a while now and I decided to take what I've learned from everyones great custom builds and try my own since it's tax refund time. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

LOWERAXTS A-DAC-F (Dual-Action Catch/Forged) $145.00
Battle Arms Delevopment Ambidextrous Safety Selector (BADASS)
Short throw (ST) ($295 special from BAD with Geissele S3G)
Geissele Super 3 Gun (S3G) trigger short pin $295.00
G&R LPK $51.00
Magpul Mil-Spec CTR Buttstock (OD Green) $85.59
BCM Mil-Spec Stock Hardware Mounting Kit w/H-Buffer $67.95 (includes receiver extension, end plate, castle nut, action sprint and buffer assembly)
Magpul MOE Plus Grip (OD Green) $17.97
Magpul MOE Triggerguard $6.90

$669.41

UPPERBCM Standard 14.5 Mid-length URG w/ VTAC TRX 11" handguard $649.00
BCM A2X Flash hider (permanent install blind pin and weld) $45.00
BCM Bolt-Carrier Group (BCG) $139.95
BCM Gunflighter Mod-4 Medium Charging Handle $44.95
Magpul MBUS Gen 2 BUIS (OD Green) $75.00
Magpul AFG2 Forehand Grip (Black) $28.92

$982.82

TOTAL $1652.23
I could knock the total down by just going with a mil-spec trigger, but after shooting the S3G I just have to have it. Same thing with the upper...I like the Magpul MOE handguard, but the feel of the TRX is so much nicer in my hand.

Failure2Stop
02-06-12, 13:22
Is this your first AR?

soco_27
02-06-12, 13:55
Little over the top for a first build in my opinion..But on the other hand if you got the green then blow it!:D

jared91
02-06-12, 14:47
Its been stated, if you have the green, then blow your wad on it. excellent set up, but not really a build.

HaydenB
02-06-12, 18:45
You could save like $300 if you went with the new ALG Combat trigger and a standard lower.

Signal Zero
02-06-12, 21:05
Is this your first AR?

No, I have an agency issued Colt with some Magpul gear and an EOTech 552 HWS. But this is my first personally owned and built.

I know a few things are a bit much (like the S3G trigger), but I didn't want to built something and then not be completely happy with it and spend more changing things out later on.

Little over the top for a first build in my opinion..But on the other hand if you got the green then blow it!

Getting a good chunk back from taxes. And I'm thinking Congress is going to extend the pay freeze for another year so why not spend it before its gone. I'd I rather by a nice toy then have the wife spend it on frigin purses and shoes !

rob_s
02-07-12, 05:00
I know a few things are a bit much (like the S3G trigger), but I didn't want to built something and then not be completely happy with it and spend more changing things out later on.

and you think this gun will prevent that?

I will tell you from both personal experience AND from years of reading forums like these, just because the part is expensive, or the new hotness, does not mean it's right for you, or that it will prevent it from being changed out.

After the ban I assembled TWO guns with all the current new hotness, and it turned out neither one was right for me. What was right was an amalgam between the two, and even then there were parts that weren't of any use.

ETA:
were it me, and I was limited to an agency/issue gun at work, I'd want to keep things as close as possible to the same, at least in terms of the manual of arms, and while I like the AXTS lowers I have here I don't think I'd want to be doing one thing at home and another at work, and if you're not going to take advantage of the modified manual of arms of the AXTS there's really no reason to drop the coin. I'd also stick to the same optic, or at least the same reticule.