PDA

View Full Version : What would you do???

m4brian
02-06-12, 07:46
Buy a complete Colt carbine, OR complete Colt upper, and build the lower with DD LPK, PSA lower, A5 rear kit for less?

RGoose
02-06-12, 08:16
Buy a complete Colt carbine, OR complete Colt upper, and build the lower with DD LPK, PSA lower, A5 rear kit for less?

As long as you use quality components and know what you're doing I say build the lower yourself. If you're going to go with the A5 receiver setup regardless, it will be cheaper to just build your lower the way you want it from the get go rather than purchase a complete Colt and then start swapping out parts.

DeltaSierra
02-06-12, 12:03
Buy the complete Colt carbine....

Forget assembling a PSA lower - you will feel better with the complete Colt....

I simply cannot understand assembling lower when you can buy a rifle in the configuration that you want.

RGoose
02-06-12, 12:14
Buy the complete Colt carbine....

Forget assembling a PSA lower - you will feel better with the complete Colt....

I simply cannot understand assembling lower when you can buy a rifle in the configuration that you want.
I definitely agree with you, except I think you should have said, "if you can buy a rifle in the configuration that you want." The OP specifically mentioned the A5 system and I'm not sure if that's available from Colt. If the A5 is not a requirement, and the lower would be built to "mirror" the Colt lower, then I agree, buy the complete Colt.

jonconsiglio
02-06-12, 12:15
I needed another lower and bolt carrier group recently. I decided to buy a complete Colt 6720. I'm still not sure if I'll keep the upper or not, but either way, for the price it made sense.

I like Colt lowers and upper receivers. Their lower parts kits are considered to be the best and their BCG's are one of the best as well. I'm sure a BCM lower with their LPK will be just as good though.

I would go whichever route saved the most money. I chose the complete rifle because it was only $200 more than the lower and BCG would have cost.

Evil Colt 6920
02-06-12, 12:21
I would prefer the complete rifle. I would much rather have a Colt lower to match the Colt upper than a brand you listed + A5 buffer system. I would expect resale value to be better also. Not that I would ever sell it though.

turdbocharged
02-06-12, 12:25
Buy the Colt, or any other reputable company's carbine. It's worth it IMO. The prices are so good lately I couldn't justify building one for my needs.

Kokopelli
02-06-12, 12:29
Colt prices are really good these days. I'd buy a complete Colt if it fit my wants.. JMO.. Ron

truename
02-06-12, 12:31
You can save on the exise tax by building from a stripped lower though.

Moltke
02-06-12, 12:39
Complete Colt carbine.

Terlingueno
02-06-12, 13:06
I have been assembling Colt's from orphaned parts and making them whole again. It takes awhile to find all Colt stuff on the various EE's but that is an option

krisjon
02-06-12, 15:43
Given some of the recent quality and customer service issues PSA has had, I wouldn't even think of not going all Colt.

Get it from Grant at G&R and call it a success all the way around.

**Thumbs up on 2nd Armored - that's what my Dad was.

Casull
02-06-12, 15:46
I'd go full but no one can put you down if it goes bang every time.

m4brian
02-06-12, 17:27
Thanks for the responses.

I also figured out that I can use a PSA lower and Grant's LPK with Geiselle, A5 extension/buffer/spring (VLTOR) and Grant's Stock (new Colt) for the same price as the Colt complete. Hard to beat a Geiselle. I used a PSA lower on my BCM upper and have an A5 on it and it runs like a champ. (never heard of anyone with a PSA lower issue).

I didn't know if I'd like the stock, but saw one in a LGS, and liked it better than my CTR - locks up tighter.

But, it would be nice to have the total Colt...

drsal
02-06-12, 17:38
Complete rifle, out of the box and ready to go..I like one stop shopping!

og556
02-06-12, 18:23
Buy the complete Colt. For me it would be the fact that it is a factory assembled rifle with a known good LPK and if any thing were to go wrong I would be able to send it into Colt.

m4brian
02-06-12, 18:26
Done. 6720.

Toyoland66
02-06-12, 19:28
Good choice.

Keep in mind you can easily sell used colt parts to recoup some of your cost if you upgrade to an A5, gieselle etc.

rainman
02-06-12, 19:37
+1

You will be very happy (and well equipped).

-Rainman

Good choice.

Keep in mind you can easily sell used colt parts to recoup some of your cost if you upgrade to an A5, gieselle etc.

m4brian
02-06-12, 20:05
Selling off some unused weapons, and making sure I have an AR in all the men's hands in this house before a certain official is re-elected. This one may stay stock for a while.

lmurtha1
02-06-12, 22:27
you could get a colt or a highpoint, same quality IMO. jk get a colt:alcoholic: im drunk btw

og556
02-06-12, 22:31
That is really awesome. Are you still enjoying your Daniel Defense rifle ?

The Colt will serve your family well.