PDA

View Full Version : Problem with KAC Rail Cover Micro Movement

CogitoErgoArmatumSum
02-06-12, 09:39
I recently put some Knight's Armament Company rail covers on my Daniel Defense M4 9.5" FSP rail. I was trying to figure out how I wanted my QD and light mount set up, and thus slid the rails overs on and off, trying different setups, while being careful not to damage the covers. When I got the covers and other gear set up the way I wanted them, I noticed that the larger covers translate a millimeter or two along the rail. Has anyone else had a similar experience with these rail covers? Is there any fix to this problem that anyone is aware of? Thanks for any help y'all can provide!

markm
02-06-12, 10:08
Do you have the clips locked into the end cuts on the rail?

If so, that's just the nature of KAC Panels. Try LaRue Clips. I'm a KAC panel fan, but LaRue clips feel just like the KAC panels with a lower profile and no movement.

JasonM
02-06-12, 11:48
completely normal.

they can have a lot of movement.

a half-inch square of electrical tape on the inside, right under the clip, will eliminate the movement.

Quib
02-06-12, 14:16
Take some black RTV and run a thin bead along the inside of one of the back grooves of the panel. When the RTV sets up, this will tighten the panel preventing movement.

I believe I covered this here at M4C in the past. So if you do a search, you might find that old thread with my diagram.

wahoo95
02-06-12, 14:19
If they're not mounted in the end slots they will move, however I have found that a piece of ladder rail cover on each end will keep them in place.

jared91
02-06-12, 14:54
Ive always wondered this.

Duffy
02-08-12, 09:30
I cut off couple of sections from a ladder type rail cover and place them in front of the KAC rail cover, opposite of the metal clip, as a wedge.

I've used this method even on rails that don't have the KAC rail cover cut outs :D

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/MRPs.jpg

On the original MRP there are no cut outs for KAC panels, but that's where I want to use them. You can see the tiny section of ladder rail cover ahead of the KAC rail panel.