PDA

View Full Version : AR overall length question

ruchik
02-06-12, 11:53
I'm planning to build my first AR using a BCM upper, and am trying to decide between a 14.5" with pinned 1.5" Battlecomp, or 16" midlength upper. I'll also be using an Ace Ultralight Entry size stock. It's about the same length as an M4 stock fully collapsed, at 7.125" long. The only problem is, here in California, the rifle needs to be a minimum of 30 inches in length. I do not know what the overall length of an AR with a 14.5"/pinned comp or 16" barrel and fully collapsed stock is. Can anyone help me out with these measurements?

SGT D USMC
02-06-12, 13:41
Bushmaster has a AR with a 14.5 in barrel with a permently attached barrel. Look up their specs. and determine how your stock will compare to theirs.

SGT D USMC
02-06-12, 13:45
I ment to say permently attached flash hider

TOMTOM
02-06-12, 13:57
You should've fine, as the CTR stock is listed as 6.90" long, and fully collapsed with my 14.5 + battle comp 1.5 I was still at ~31" OAL.

I don't think there's any way to go below 30" with out a SBR barrel on the AR-15 platform.

Inuvik
02-06-12, 14:14
I believe the 16" with an A2 will be right around 31" fully collapsed if I remember correctly. I worried about the same thing when I built my first. 14.5 will be a little closer, but why worry in the first place? Is there some specific reason you want one over the 16"?

pira114
02-06-12, 15:32
I have a BCM with 14.5 and perm A2X flash hider. Which is about the same length as the Battlecomp. Also have the M4 stock. At fully collapsed, it measures exactly 31. I also live in Ca, so I understand your concern.

Don't know about the stock you're getting, but those are my measurements.

Col_Crocs
02-06-12, 18:18
I'm planning to build my first AR using a BCM upper, and am trying to decide between a 14.5" with pinned 1.5" Battlecomp, or 16" midlength upper. I'll also be using an Ace Ultralight Entry size stock. It's about the same length as an M4 stock fully collapsed, at 7.125" long. The only problem is, here in California, the rifle needs to be a minimum of 30 inches in length. I do not know what the overall length of an AR with a 14.5"/pinned comp or 16" barrel and fully collapsed stock is. Can anyone help me out with these measurements?
Quick clarification... Is this your first ever AR or just the first one youre going to build? I ask because if this is to be your very ifirst AR, your preferences will change as you go, hence, I would go with a 16" barrel for its flexibility. Also, why an Ace stock?

ruchik
02-07-12, 00:36
Yes, this is my first build ever. I am going with an Ace stock because I prefer the look, and in California I need to have a fixed stock in order to have a detachable magazine. Pinning a collapsable stock is always an option, but for now I think I will just use an Ace stock. How much more flexibility would I gain?

pira114
02-07-12, 00:56
Yes, this is my first build ever. I am going with an Ace stock because I prefer the look, and in California I need to have a fixed stock in order to have a detachable magazine. Pinning a collapsable stock is always an option, but for now I think I will just use an Ace stock. How much more flexibility would I gain?

There's a LOT more to it than just a fixed stock to have a detachable magazine. Like not having a pistol grip for starters. I suggest you look much deeper into this issue if you haven't. Calguns.net is a good resource for those of us in Ca.

The laws are easy to follow really. If you want a detachable magazine, you can't have any of the "evil features" (do a search on calguns for those). If you use a bullet button, you can have anything on there as long as the overall length is 30 or better.

The bullet button thing sucks when you're in Ca. But most of them can be easily switched to function as a normal mag release when you're out of state. That's what I do when I take classes out of state. Classes in state are pointless.

Good luck. Know the law.

ruchik
02-07-12, 01:04
I do know the law, I just did not elaboratw for brevity. I am going for a featureless build, with a kydex grip fin, no pistol grip. I have done all my research through calguns months beforehand;)

rackham1
02-07-12, 01:04
How much more flexibility would I gain?

Answering only the 16" barrel flexibility question (I have little knowledge of Cal-specific laws): Quite a bit... primarily the ability to change muzzle devices and handguard (FSB/gas block as well, but probably just as needed to change the handguard).

I have a 14.5 with pinned flash hider that I like and have no desire to change. But if I did I would just have to buy a completely new upper because for me, undoing a permanent FH seems like more trouble than it's worth. It would have been easier just to get the 16 in the first place.

Iraqgunz
02-07-12, 01:06
I agree with others. You need to be 100% sure about what you can and cannot have.

I also do not recommend that you get a pinned 14.5" Stay with a 16"barrel.

ruchik
02-07-12, 01:20
Hmmm, looks like it'll be a 16 inch barrel for me. I just needed to know what the OAL of an Ar with a 16 inch barrel and fully collapsed stock is. I do appreciate your concerns regarding staying legal. I know exactly what my rifle can and cannot have and what length it needs to be, which is why I asked my question in the first place.

pira114
02-07-12, 01:57
OK.

Didn't know you were doing a featureless build. That changes some things.

First, I would normally agree that you should go with a 16 inch barrel unless you had several rifles configured differently and already knew what you wanted. But in going featureless, it's a moot point. You can't have a flash hider, and the battlecomp is going to make you happy. Unless you really want to be able to switch between comps, it doesn't matter. In that case, go with 14.5 pinned.

Second, if you go with a 16 inch barrel, you needn't worry about length. As I said, my 14.5 with A2X flash hider with fully collapsed stock is 31 inches.

ColdDeadHands
02-07-12, 03:06
just get out of that damn communist state - this is ****ing ridiculous.
[rant off]

Col_Crocs
02-07-12, 06:04
Hmmm, looks like it'll be a 16 inch barrel for me. I just needed to know what the OAL of an Ar with a 16 inch barrel and fully collapsed stock is. I do appreciate your concerns regarding staying legal. I know exactly what my rifle can and cannot have and what length it needs to be, which is why I asked my question in the first place.

I dont know exactly what the OAL will be with your stock choice but mine is roughly 32 1/4" with the CTR one click out/position 2. Eyeballing it, even fully collapsed, it shouldnt be any shorter than ~31".

maddawg5777
02-07-12, 15:01
just get out of that damn communist state - this is ****ing ridiculous.
[rant off]

I did this 6 years ago and couldn't be a happier man.