PDA

View Full Version : My patrol rifle is too heavy update

Ronin64
02-06-12, 16:00
A few months ago I posted on here that I thought my patrol rifle (Colt 6940) was too heavy due to all the stuff attached to it. Since then, I have made a few changes. Here is what I changed/removed

-Removed full sized TD VFG and replaced it with a Magpul RVG
-Removed the Redi-Mag with the 30 round PMAG
-Replaced the ACS with an STR.

Without listing all the math, these changes have saved 31.78 ounces of weight off of the rifle. The rifle feels so much more balanced and maneuverable now, and easier to carry around for longer periods of time. Also easier to get on target quickly and engage multiple targets quicker.

In the future, I would like to change the upper to a 14.5" mid-length and possibly get a new optic, but I would rather spend that money on ammo and training at this point.

I appreciate all the recommendations I got from this forum which helped me make these changes. Here is a recent pic:

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/3562/img0259bs.jpg

ForTehNguyen
02-06-12, 16:05
the redi mag + 30 rnd mag is what made it real heavy. The other stuff not so much, but thats almost 2lbs of weight dropped. Good job

TedG
02-06-12, 16:06
Wow. Shaving 2 pounds should make quite a difference.

aguila327
02-06-12, 16:38
Great job. I went thru the same issues and decided to get a whole new upper just for patrol without the free float tubes and other gadgets and gizmos we all fall in love with. Nothing like transitioning to your handgun and feeling Mr. Black swinging into all the sensitive parts of your body.

From a RRA elite comp with a 512 holosight to a PSA middie upper with med. contour barrel. Moe forend, CTR, and a streamlight TLR-1s, and an Aimpoint T-1. Now I can carry it all shift long if I have to (Lets hope not!).

Generalpie
02-06-12, 17:30
That set up looks very similar to my personally owned rifle I have carried for a long time now.

Currently getting department issued guns and I will most likely set it up the same way unless I can get them to spring for one of those fancy new surefire weapons lights.

2 pounds doesn't sound like much but it sure feels like it.

SpankMonkey
02-06-12, 17:53
Glad you like it. Now go to the gym. :D

BufordTJustice
02-06-12, 19:18
I think I speak for a lot of members when I say this:

Thank you for listening.

I'm glad it worked out for you, brother. That's a TON of weight saved. Keep us updated with any future mods. I can tell you the Micro T1 on a DD non QD mount saved a ton of weight for me, but as you said, that money will be better spent on ammo and B/S/T (blood, sweat, tears) during training.

Stay Safe.

lmurtha1
02-06-12, 22:32
Looks great! keeping the rifle simple makes it look clean and balanced. Lightness is crucial. I learned good after having a suppressor, NV+Eotech, surefire 900 light foregrip, and a 60rd surefire mag. I had to pump iron in the gym daily just to pick it up

VIP3R 237
02-06-12, 22:53
OP sorry for the hijack but how do you like the str vs the acs? Im torn between the two.

pentosinjunkie
02-06-12, 22:54
I think a midlength-ish handguard (freefloat RIS, in this case) would do a lot to enhance weapon manipulation and the ability to manage weight...just my .02.

ETA: Ah, nevermind. Just noticed it was a 6940. I wonder when Colt will get in touch with the civvie/LEO market and offer something that speaks to current trends and modern MoA development...but I'm sure many on this forum have touched on that before...

Jack-O
02-06-12, 23:35
Man, before I went to a 14.5" barrel I'd swap to a pencil barrel. that'll drop prolly 10-14 ounces off the front and will give you more of a perceivable weight shift than a 14.5 would. that make a LOT of difference in handling IME.

Ronin64
02-07-12, 00:31
OP sorry for the hijack but how do you like the str vs the acs? Im torn between the two.

I'm 50/50 on which one I like better. I like the 2 battery storage compartments of the STR, but the tube covers are not perminently attached like on the ACS, making it easier to lose them. The ACS is longer with more space for a proper check weld. Friction lock is identical. The STR is about two ounces lighter which is nice.

I think it more or less comes down to what length of stock you want because they are both very similar.

BH321
02-07-12, 00:36
Man, before I went to a 14.5" barrel I'd swap to a pencil barrel. that'll drop prolly 10-14 ounces off the front and will give you more of a perceivable weight shift than a 14.5 would. that make a LOT of difference in handling IME.

His present upper is a 6940 which uses a different barrel extension than your standard AR15 barrel. Additionally, Colt doesn't presently make a pencil barrel for it as there is not a compatible folding front sight base. Now he could have the barrel reprofiled everywhere except under the FSB if he wishes, but he would have to find a company that has the proper wrench in order to remove the barrel nut (The 6940 uses a proprietary unit). Specialized Armament might be worth giving a call as I know they have the wrench.

Sticks
02-07-12, 02:39
So what is the total weight of your weapon (unloaded) after it's liposuction?

Unicorn
02-08-12, 01:03
A loaded 30 round Pmag weighs just over a pound, so removing the Redi Mag is probably about a pound and a half on it's own.
You could replace your Eotech with an Aimpoint Micro and save a little under a half pound there as well.

digdug18
02-08-12, 16:41
I'm sure your patrol car is getting better fuel economy as well, with all that less weight.

Jack-O
02-09-12, 01:43
His present upper is a 6940 which uses a different barrel extension than your standard AR15 barrel. Additionally, Colt doesn't presently make a pencil barrel for it as there is not a compatible folding front sight base. Now he could have the barrel reprofiled everywhere except under the FSB if he wishes, but he would have to find a company that has the proper wrench in order to remove the barrel nut (The 6940 uses a proprietary unit). Specialized Armament might be worth giving a call as I know they have the wrench.

wow. complicated.

I was just thinking something like a 6720 upper half

Sticks
02-09-12, 04:52

Yet another reason that I went with a "Pick and choose" build. No proprietary parts or fasteners.

arizonaranchman
02-09-12, 08:26
Yep the Redi-Mag is ridiculously cumbersome. I had one in my gun for about 15 seconds and said no-thanks! Not a chance I'd run one of those things.

Light-weight and short is my preference. A BCM 14.5 middy with a T1 here and very happy with the set-up.

TehLlama
02-09-12, 21:35
Rereading the thread, I got thrown for a loop by the updated picture in the first post - but looks great now.

Yep the Redi-Mag is ridiculously cumbersome. I had one in my gun for about 15 seconds and said no-thanks! Not a chance I'd run one of those things.

With reliable 60rd magazines available, I don't see the need to run them either.