PDA

View Full Version : Magnified optics for an FAL Carbine... Need updated advice!

Rmplstlskn
02-06-12, 21:06
Long story short: Used to have an ACOG TA-11D on my DSA SA-58 Carbine. At the time had unknowingly a bad eyeglass prescription that made focus on reticles a work of folly, and I found the Bindon concept slow for me in close yardages. I loved MAGNIFICATION, but gave it up due to vision issues. Sold the ACOG and put on a Aimpoint C3 which was moved over from the AR that now had a Aimpoint Micro T1.

http://www.wwyd.org/images/AR15/FAL-left (Medium).JPG

All was well.... Until I discovered I had a vision prescription that hindered shooting skills like focusing on reticles and iron sights. The new prescription (although a compromise) open up all kinds of CLARITY in shooting sports I thought were forever lost. I still had old, inferior eyes, but I could now see reticles clearly again...

Now I miss the MAGNIFICATION on my FAL and the ability to tag distant targets some magnification allows. The 1x Aimpoint is leaving me wishing for some GLASS...

But I have been out of the optics loop for years and I have NO CLUE to all the new, modern optics that are on the market now days. So I am humbly asking that you spare me some of your time and help me understand the best (preferably affordable) FAL optic solutions available to me... Schmidt & Bender is out of my league at this time, so go down from there...

I want to see the 300 yard steel plates more clearly yet still keep the combat drill, close yardage ability as well, so I am thinking a good 1-4x illuminated-reticle optic... The mount is an ARMS, which does not clamp down like the DSA Extreme Mount, so weight should be kept down...

What would the many members here of whom opinions I respect advise for me? The ACOG seems so old-school now days... :rolleyes:

Rmpl

Zhurdan
02-06-12, 21:14
Not sure you'll respect my opinion, but I put a Trigicon TR24R on my FAL and love it. Banging steel out to about 200 but that's probably more shooter related than optics related. Good piece of glass with 1-4x (not a true 1x but pretty damn close) Optic on 1x, but once you get out past around 30 yards... it goes away.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r127/Zhurdan/Gun%20stuff/IMG_0455.jpg

Height is a little annoying, but I got used to it. Perhaps there's a better mount for lower cheek weld.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r127/Zhurdan/Gun%20stuff/207_2004-1-1.jpg

Rmplstlskn
02-06-12, 21:26
Yeah, the TR-24R is a good all-purpose scope... It is one on the list as it goes back many years so I am familiar with it... I'm wondering about some of the new stuff out there...

And yes, the FAL is optically-challenged without stock mods... So until a SCAR-H drops in my lap, I'm keeping her... ;)

Rmpl

Zhurdan
02-06-12, 22:46
Yeah, the TR-24R is a good all-purpose scope... It is one on the list as it goes back many years so I am familiar with it... I'm wondering about some of the new stuff out there...

And yes, the FAL is optically-challenged without stock mods... So until a SCAR-H drops in my lap, I'm keeping her... ;)

Rmpl
I own two.. warts and all. :D One of the best damn rifles I've ever owned and I tend to shoot it pretty well <100 as far as recoil and such.

shootist~
02-06-12, 23:50
Go with something fairly light if possible. I temporarily have a NF 2.5-10x32 on one of my FALs right now - it makes for a heavy mother, but it's been handy for checking the accuracy potential of a couple of 20" guns. Mine are "mostly" in he 2 MOA range with '91 Aussie F4 Ball. (Easy to do with 5 shot groups, less so with 10 shots.)

The one pictured below is a simple Leupold 3x9 compact that works pretty darn well to 400 Meters (a 200 Meter zero lets me use the lower post at 400M - at 9x only). It's light and keeps the weight down and was easy to mount really low for a good cheek wield. Eye relief is long enough to mount in front of (vs over) the rear sight.

Know that you may have to tweak the ejector to keep brass from hitting a windage turret - so bear that in mind when selecting a scope. I have done this on two of mine to allow use of the NF , but it's windage turret does not stick out as far as some.

The newer Leupold 1.25-4 Patrol has caught my eye, but I'm concerned about the right side turret sticking out too far over the ejection port.

I have a USO 1.5-6 Dual Focal Plane one the way - custom ordered w/o a windage turret - it will have a "zeroing knob" for windage, instead). Weight may be a problem here as well, but it will see some duty on a FAL or two before I decide where it ends up. They make this in a 1-4 also.

3x9 Leupold Compact (rings have since been change to Seekins):
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/shootist87122/FAL-Pics/3-GunFALwOptic_edited.jpg

Comp ML3 (on a now unobtainable mount) that permits co-witness with the irons. I love this setup, but wish my eyes were a little younger:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/shootist87122/Aimpoint-Targ0706.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/shootist87122/FAL-Pics/Targ-IMbel_Imbel_Aimpoint091211Calc.jpg

Rmplstlskn
02-12-12, 10:42
Went to the Chantilly, VA Nation's Gun Show Friday on a scope recon...

As I worked my way through the aisles, all I saw was chinese clones and junk, so i played around with them a bit. They looked and worked allright in your hand, but as I have learned long ago, and others also testify, put it under recoil and it all goes south most the time soon after. The glass clarity seemed murky at best...

Then finally I bump into a Trijicon TR-24G... WOW! After all that Chinese junk the optical clarity of the Trijicon just jumped out at you. What a HUGE, HUGE difference between chinese glass and the Trijicon... But this is no surprise here I am sure...

So the TR-24G is high on my list right now... Now I am trying to lay hands and eyes on a Meopta, and the as of yet unseen in my neck of the woods SWFA 1-6x... As both have my interest, especially the SWFA 1-6x....

Any other suggestions?

GRSC
02-12-12, 18:59
Rmplstlskn
You might want to take a look at the videos on the first and last posts on page 6 of The GRSC scope. These are live fire demos of the new 1-6 ffp Combat Rifle Scope on a 18" FAL. This might be what you are looking for.

Ed

Rmplstlskn
02-14-12, 21:32
Thanks Ed, those were good videos, especially the rapid fire one.

Question: There is a big difference in price between the GRSC 1-4 and the 1-6... Besides magnification, any other differences or pro/con issues?

For what I do, the 1-4 would probably do fine, but I see where the 1-6 would be even better, but is it $500 plus difference?

I do like that reticle a lot... I too found my TA-11D ACOG (55g .223) pretty close on reticle elevations with my 16" FAL Carbine and 147g FMJ ammo.

Rmpl

Rmplstlskn
You might want to take a look at the videos on the first and last posts on page 6 of The GRSC scope. These are live fire demos of the new 1-6 ffp Combat Rifle Scope on a 18" FAL. This might be what you are looking for.

Ed

GRSC
02-22-12, 20:23
Rmpl
Other than the ffp M4-62 reticle the two scopes have nothing in common. They are two totally different scopes made by different manufactures. The 1-4 scope is made in Korea and the 1-6 is made by a top tier Japanese manufacture. There is a big difference in the quality of the two scopes.
Ed

Magic_Salad0892
02-23-12, 02:42
Why not go back to the 3X ACOG?