PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting a Glock 21SF.

Lawdog-1
12-20-07, 01:20
I currentlly carry a G22 on duty and I want to change out to a Glock 45ACP to carry on duty. I am thinking about buying a Glock 21SF and before I buy one, I would like to know how much smaller is the G 21 SF grip over the Reg. Big Frame G 21 ? I had the old style G21 ten years ago and sold it beause it felt way to big in my right hand.

sff70
12-20-07, 11:17
A little background on me:

I've owned 2 G21s. A 1st gen, and a 2nd gen. Sold them due to size of the grip (I have small hands).

I own and use 1911s and a G19.

One of our guys recently bought a G21SF.

During a short range session, I handed and shot it.

It's a small improvement over the 21. As I'm sure you know, it's slightly shorter from front to back. Width is the same.

You'd really have to handle one to decide if it's for you.

ST911
12-20-07, 21:52
Most perceive the difference between the 21 and 21SF as slight during dry handling. The difference is more noteworthy during live fire.

I like the 21SF better, as do others I know who were previously using the 21. I plan to replace my G21s with 21SFs.

jmart
12-20-07, 22:07
If you like your Model 22 frame get a Model 37 GAP. That's why Glock made the round, for folks who like the smaller frame sizes.

There are plenty of decent GAP loads on the market. Ballistics are identical to .45 ACP unless you plan on shooting +P in your Model 21.

GastonG-NoVa
12-20-07, 22:09
I have several hundred rounds down range with the 21sf. I really think the grip is better than the previous one.

I am right handed, (leftys should have been drowned at birth...hehe:p ) and the one thing that I don't care for is that ambi-safety. I was told in my last Glock Armorers class that you could change it to a normal safety, but in looking at the internals of the SF, it doesn't look similar. I will have to get a better look, and check back.

The Glock 21SF is on my short list of pistols to acquire. If you like it then get it. It is a solid pistol.

Lawdog-1
12-20-07, 23:29
I want to stick with 45 ACP. and I don't want the 45GAP and I think that the 45 GAP round is going to be short lived.

heijutsu
12-21-07, 09:17
I have shot a number of 21's back to their introduction and I purchased a 21SF a few months ago and like it considerably more than the previous model. It might just be me but I perceive the recoil to be less than the G21. One pesky thing though is that if you get magazines for it you either need to make sure they are new manufacture or plan on cutting on them to get them to work in the new 21SF.

Lawdog-1
12-21-07, 10:05
Does your G21SF have the new Amb Mag catch Button? I found out that you can get it without the Amb mag catch.

sff70
12-21-07, 12:02
.45 GAP is not readily available, everywhere, in quantity.

Despite it's attributes, it has not caught on like wildfire.

Much like .357 Sig, .40 AE, 10mm, 9x23, etc., etc., etc., ad naseum.

Check back in 5 yrs - Glock will be making guns for it, but nobody else will.

ST911
12-21-07, 12:49
One pesky thing though is that if you get magazines for it you either need to make sure they are new manufacture or plan on cutting on them to get them to work in the new 21SF.

This is only an issue if you have the reversible mag catch. If you have the standard G21 catch, regular and SF mags will work.

(Most G21SFs produced are in the Glock rail/standard catch configuration, per Glock.)

Lawdog-1
12-21-07, 12:53
The Police store that is a Glock LEO Dealer has the G21SF in the Reg. Mag catch and is what I plan on getting and hopefully it will uas current G21 Mags.

Sidewinder6
12-21-07, 12:57
I currentlly carry a G22 on duty and I want to change out to a Glock 45ACP to carry on duty. I am thinking about buying a Glock 21SF and before I buy one, I would like to know how much smaller is the G 21 SF grip over the Reg. Big Frame G 21 ? I had the old style G21 ten years ago and sold it beause it felt way to big in my right hand.

Good choice for a duty weapon. The SF is 1/4" smaller than the original and then added the ambi mag release. You want to watch for the standard rail if possible to make your holster selection easier. I understand your options are limited with the Pic rail.
I dont think the GAP would be a good selection for ammo, .45ACP is much easier to deal with and you are likely already familiar with the round itself.

jmart
12-21-07, 13:03
.45 GAP is not readily available, everywhere, in quantity.

Despite it's attributes, it has not caught on like wildfire.

Much like .357 Sig, .40 AE, 10mm, 9x23, etc., etc., etc., ad naseum.

Check back in 5 yrs - Glock will be making guns for it, but nobody else will.

Yes, but mailorder houses always have GAP ammo. It's not hard to get if you plan ahead. If all you ever do is walk into Wally World and buy 50 rounds at a pop, then you could run into availability problems.

I'm not sure if the GAP needs to be adopted by other mfg's to ensure longevity. It really makes zero sense in a 1911 pattern weapon, it really only becomes relevant in double stack applications where grip size becomes an issue. Some LEO agencies have adopted the GAP, if more were to then it would become solidly entrenched. Same with the Sig, slowly it's gaining wider acceptance. I don't think it's necessary for it to supplant 9mm or .40 S&W, it just needs to retain enough of a customer base for the ammo mfg's to keep churning out ammo. But Federal, Speer and Corbon all load for the GAP, as does WWB so there are plenty of offerings covering cheap practice ammo to high end SD ammo.

Hey, if you're comfortable with the larger grip frame, the GAP isn't relevant to your requirements. But if you like the smaller frame, and you like Glock-pattern pistols, and you like a few more rounds, and you like .45 ACP poerformance, then the GAP is a viable answer.

Plastic Fantastic
12-25-07, 23:34
Hey, if you're comfortable with the larger grip frame, the GAP isn't relevant to your requirements. But if you like the smaller frame, and you like Glock-pattern pistols, and you like a few more rounds, and you like .45 ACP poerformance, then the GAP is a viable answer.

I agree with Jmart. I have the 1st GEN M21 (since 1991) and I'm comfortable with it. The 21SF is slimmer and more comfortable. If you are use to shooting the 45 ACP, the 45 GAP has a snappier recoil rather than the stout recoil of the 45 ACP. The NYSP has adopted the 45 GAP with mixed feelings from my Trooper friends. Smaller statured Troopers don't like the snappier recoil compared to the lighter 9MM recoil. Taller Troopers love it! But they all agree that it is much better than the 9MM.

Bolt_Overide
12-26-07, 06:36
IF you get a g21sf, do NOT get the ambi safety, it absolutely sucks, I know 3 people personally who have had one break.

Steelshooter
01-02-08, 22:39
You beat me to it. That's absolutely true. Even with my apelike hands I prefer the 21SF. It also seems to point more naturally to me than the regular 21.

Most perceive the difference between the 21 and 21SF as slight during dry handling. The difference is more noteworthy during live fire.

I like the 21SF better, as do others I know who were previously using the 21. I plan to replace my G21s with 21SFs.

Don Robison
01-02-08, 22:50
I've got just over 2000 rounds through my 21SF(Pic rail and ambi). I enjoy it enough that it has become my EDC AIWB in a High Noon hideaway holster. It was just enough of a change in the grip to allow me to shoot it well. My paws just aren't large enough for me to shoot a 21 well, even though I wear a size large glove. Front to back the grip is comparable to the G22 with the extra width of the 21. Like Skintop said you have to shoot it to really appreciate the difference. I'm buying a second one as soon as I get a few things completed around the new house. The more I shoot it, the more my 17 and 19 sit. Although the wife has adopted the 19 as her official house gun.

Steelshooter
01-02-08, 22:53
+! on High Noon holsters. Good stuff.