PDA

View Full Version : Viking Tactics Inc. VTAC UVG

CLHC
02-06-12, 23:00
Did a search, but found no feedback on this particular product from Viking Tactics Inc.

http://vikingtactics.com/rifleacc_uvg.html

http://vikingtactics.com/videos/pop-instr_video34_uvg.html

VIP3R 237
02-07-12, 00:11
Held one at shot show, its a work of art and is much more comfortable than it looks. Im not so thrilled at the price but I understand because of the intricate machining.

Jmacken37
02-07-12, 00:33
How is it with that big knob on the side. I ditched the FUG and TD QD foregrips because the levers got in the way.

Jake

MidwestRookie
02-07-12, 02:20
I just ordered one..this is the first I've seen it. Never tried a VFG before, but this one floated my boat I guess. It's the same price as the TD QD VFG and it's not stubby and plastic, it's sleek and metal. Looks well built. I'm excited to try it..

ColdDeadHands
02-07-12, 03:09
I'd rather use a rvg.

MidwestRookie
02-09-12, 14:20
I'd rather use a rvg.

Well, no offense, but I'd rather not have plastic on my rifle..:nono:

Got my UVG today, love it already. Won't have a chance to get it out shooting for at least a couple more weeks, but man I like this thing a lot. It's comfortable, sleek, lightweight and looks pretty bad ass IMHO. It locks on solid and doesn't move a millimeter. The mounting system definitely gets an A+. It is short, but the rail section I installed actually provided my left index finger the perfect amount of room to fit comfortably, tho I usually do the hand on the side, thumb on top kind of hold shown in VTAC's demo video and countless others.

The UVG can be mounted with the knob on either side so it's definitely not in the way (not in my way). I'm no "operator" tho..just wanted something to hold on to. Maybe someone that uses their rifle for a living will be able to better assess the knob.

Anyway, here's a quick pic that I didn't think belonged in the picture thread..I have a couple more things to do then I'll get it outside for a nicer shot.

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/futuristichandgun/VTACedit.jpg

Littlelebowski
02-09-12, 14:40

Interesting....

DeltaSierra
02-09-12, 14:45
Interesting....

I'm having a hard time envisioning an AR that didn't utilize some plastics....

MidwestRookie
02-09-12, 14:46
Interesting....

Perhaps, but the only thing plastic on my rifle is the Vltor EMOD and I'm fine with that, it's not exactly lightweight, plus it holds a spare set of batteries for the Eotech.

The UVG was perfect for me and my rifle, tho I know the majority on here think they have to have the lightest rifles possible (and some really do need them light as can be, obviously). I'm not one of those people..

C-grunt
02-09-12, 14:47

Im curious, what buttstock do you have?

Smash
02-09-12, 14:48

Got my UVG today, love it already. Won't have a chance to get it out shooting for at least a couple more weeks, but man I like this thing a lot. It's comfortable, sleek, lightweight and looks pretty bad ass IMHO. It locks on solid and doesn't move a millimeter. The mounting system definitely gets an A+. It is short, but the rail section I installed actually provided my left index finger the perfect amount of room to fit comfortably, tho I usually do the hand on the side, thumb on top kind of hold shown in VTAC's demo video and countless others.

The UVG can be mounted with the knob on either side so it's definitely not in the way (not in my way). I'm no "operator" tho..just wanted something to hold on to. Maybe someone that uses their rifle for a living will be able to better assess the knob.

Anyway, here's a quick pic that I didn't think belonged in the picture thread..I have a couple more things to do then I'll get it outside for a nicer shot.

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/futuristichandgun/VTACedit.jpg

Maybe the picture isnt showing the wooden stock and grip?

Trajan
02-09-12, 14:57
Maybe the picture isnt showing the wooden stock and grip?

Didn't Colt make aluminum CAR stocks?

Dos Cylindros
02-09-12, 16:58
I personally think the whole plastic on a gun issue was laid to rest long ago. It has proven durable for many years now, and a viable material to be used in the manufacture of firearms. Glocks, M&P's, HK's, etc. have proven this. Tango Down, Magpul and Vltor have proven the durability of plastic furniture for some time now. This new VFG really does not float my boat, but if it appeals to you have at it.

J_Dub_503
02-09-12, 17:10
This vfg just doesn't get my motor runnin'...I see no improvement over other products other than it being made of metal (which doesn't even matter.) I'm more interested in Magpul's new handstop to be honest.

MidwestRookie
02-09-12, 17:18
I personally think the whole plastic on a gun issue was laid to rest long ago. It has proven durable for many years now, and a viable material to be used in the manufacture of firearms. Glocks, M&P's, HK's, etc. have proven this. Tango Down, Magpul and Vltor have proven the durability of plastic furniture for some time now. This new VFG really does not float my boat, but if it appeals to you have at it.

It's not about durable..it's about feel.

I use a rubber ergo grip, so all that's plastic is the EMOD and SSA-E and that doesn't bother me in the slightest.

When everything else I hold on to is metal, plastic just feels out of place. If I had a MOE stock, MOE grip and MOE handguard I'd have a MOE vfg/afg to go with it. If I end up with another build, I probably will go that way (minus the MOE handguard) just to have something different. For now, the plastic stuff just doesn't fit for me..I'm not bashing it in the slightest.

dirt_diver
02-09-12, 17:26
Looks interesting enough for me to give it a try. Plus, though it seems I may be in the minority around here, I've liked all of the Viking Tactic products I've tried.
The ONLY thing giving me pause is the price, but that's probably because I'm a cheapskate. :p

sevy316
02-09-12, 17:44
How big is the rail section you have this installed on 2in or 4 in? Ive been eyeballing this for my troy/vtac set up

MidwestRookie
02-09-12, 17:49
It's the 2 inch. It has 3 rail slots on it.. the UVG covers them all up perfectly.

Kain
02-09-12, 17:56

Well that sums up what I was going to say. I just thought the holes milled into the design of the Vtact would be just another place for objects to get stuck in resulting grabbing it and stabbing myself with a stick or small rocks or something getting in it and rattling.

crazymoose
02-09-12, 19:20
Perhaps, but the only thing plastic on my rifle is the Vltor EMOD and I'm fine with that, it's not exactly lightweight, plus it holds a spare set of batteries for the Eotech.

The UVG was perfect for me and my rifle, tho I know the majority on here think they have to have the lightest rifles possible (and some really do need them light as can be, obviously). I'm not one of those people..

I don't usually use a VFG these days, but when I do, I go plastic. Why? It's not about weight, it's about strength. A unit like a TD is pretty damn strong, but, if the VFG takes a serious hit (gets jammed in a doorway, I fall on it, etc.), I want the VFG to break, rather than being strong enough to transfer all the force to my rail.