PDA

View Full Version : GG&G Parts

Dave L.
12-20-07, 05:12
Is there a reason I never see GG&G parts on this site? I have had a GGG aimpoint mount from long before I had heard of larue and it's still going strong.
What does everyone think about the products they make? How is their QC? How solid to their FF tubes hold up; do they come loose? Are you paying for more than what you get?
I want some Pro's and Con's.
Please limit the "I hate the people in the company because..." stuff and use use solid evidence (rather than feelings) if typing negative responses.
Thanks,
D

mmike87
12-20-07, 06:01
I have some of their smaller parts, such as an offset light mount, sling mounts, etc. I also have two of their VFG's as well. I'm totally satisfied with the parts that I have. No problems.

USMC03
12-20-07, 08:49
My experiences with GG&G products over the last decade is that they are overpriced and underengineered.

Back in the 90's the were the only gig in town. Now there are so many other companies offering superior products at lower prices.

YMMV

Semper Fi,
Jeff

rob_s
12-20-07, 09:14
Back in the 90's the were the only gig in town. Now there are so many other companies offering superior products at lower prices.

Bingo.

Innovate or die. They didn't, so they will.

C4IGrant
12-20-07, 09:39
I have never found any of their products to be of use. Some think they are great, but I do not.

C4

jmart
12-20-07, 09:44
My experiences with GG&G products over the last decade is that they are overpriced and underengineered....

Semper Fi,
Jeff

Were they effective but "inelegant" or did they just not work, i.e., bad machining on rails, weak fasteners, etc.?

USMC03
12-20-07, 10:12
Were they effective but "inelegant" or did they just not work, i.e., bad machining on rails, weak fasteners, etc.?

One example of many. The GG&G M.A.D. BUIS:

The M.A.D. BUIS has 2 small appetures and 2 large appetures. I owned 6 or so different MAD BUIS's, all but one had zero shift between the 2 small appetures.

Instead of cutting the female screws into the body of the BUIS they made the hole for the female end and put a heli-coil type thread insert in the hole. You had to use a torque wrench to tighten the screw that secured the BUIS onto the rail. If you over torqued the screw it would strip the heli-coil thread insert and you wouldn't be able to attach the BUIS to the rail. And it was very easy to strip out the heli-coil thread insert. And when properly torqued it wasn't uncommon for the screw to come loose on a high round count gun, even when blue (#242) loc-tite had been applied to screw.

The MAD BUIS is a flip up design with no locking mechanism, and if the BUIS was in the up position it wasn't hard to bump up against wall, doorjam, or other object and the BUIS would be knocked part way or all the way down.

One example of many...........

Semper Fi,
Jeff

markm
12-20-07, 10:35
I use their M3 light rail on my Colt. That's about as high tech as I get though.

Steel_Weasel
12-20-07, 11:33
The MAD BUIS is a flip up design with no locking mechanism, and if the BUIS was in the up position it wasn't hard to bump up against wall, doorjam, or other object and the BUIS would be knocked part way or all the way down.

Thats strange because mine does have a locking mechanism. I think you're experience is out of date. GG&G is by no means the end all of accessory manufacturers but I think they have been fairly innovative and done a reasonably good job. I have used several items over the years through hard knocks and they've never failed. YMMV.

jmart
12-20-07, 12:05
One example of many. The GG&G M.A.D. BUIS:

The M.A.D. BUIS has 2 small appetures and 2 large appetures. I owned 6 or so different MAD BUIS's, all but one had zero shift between the 2 small appetures.

Instead of cutting the female screws into the body of the BUIS they made the hole for the female end and put a heli-coil type thread insert in the hole. You had to use a torque wrench to tighten the screw that secured the BUIS onto the rail. If you over torqued the screw it would strip the heli-coil thread insert and you wouldn't be able to attach the BUIS to the rail. And it was very easy to strip out the heli-coil thread insert. And when properly torqued it wasn't uncommon for the screw to come loose on a high round count gun, even when blue (#242) loc-tite had been applied to screw.

One example of many...........

Semper Fi,
Jeff

Some of this sounds like design, the rest sounds like mfg. Both have to be up to snuff for the product to pass muster.

Dave L.
12-20-07, 12:49
My experiences with GG&G products over the last decade is that they are overpriced and underengineered.

YMMV

Semper Fi,
Jeff

That's pretty much what I was thinking. You would think they might want to get their shit together and stay competitive, for their sake and the consumer.

R Moran
12-20-07, 14:21
We use alot of GG&G at work. Including SLiC front site base mounts, Aimpoint mounts and A2 BUIS.
I don't think theres been alot of problems, but we don't use the guns all that hard, more then alot of PD's, but not like a GI does.

I did however, snap 2 mounting screws on the Aimpoint mounts. One when I was tightening it on a SAW, one, not sure what happened, I did a string of fire, came to the low ready, and out of my periphial vision, saw my Aimpoint fall off.

It did hold zero, right up until it fell off, though. And, its been fine, with a new screw.

Bob