PDA

View Full Version : Question about a barrel

camoman
02-07-12, 11:55
I bought AR under the assumption that it had a 20" Noveske match grade heavy barrel on it. While it is very accurate, and the chamber is very tight...so tight I cannot shoot steel cased ammo. There are no manufacturer markings on the barrel at all, there are also no caliber markings. Does Noveske make totally un-marked barrels? Thanks

Surf
02-07-12, 12:09
5.56 or .7.62? I am assuming stainless barrel? Tight chamber? I wouldn't think that Noveske would make commercially available barrels or otherwise for that matter without being stamped. Tight chamber sounds a bit odd also. If it is heavy profile then it probably hasn't been turned down to lose the markings. I don't think Noveske currently makes a 20" 5.56 with a true heavy profile, medium only I think. I know they do a heavy 7.62. I would think it is not a Noveske but that is just a hunch. Not saying that Noveske hasn't made some special run barrels so that is a consideration. I would try to contact ToddK here on the forum or try Noveske directly.

camoman
02-07-12, 12:23
It is 5.56/.223....or at least I hope it's 5.56...as that's what I've been shooting through it. It isn't stainless, looks like a regular H-bar. I don't think it's exactly new, or current production. I know there is no chance of finding out every thing I would like to know about it. I would just like to know if Noveske has made similar, possibly custom barrels in the past that would be un-marked?

Cesiumsponge
02-07-12, 13:33
I've got a custom stainless Noveske barrel from a run for a specific company so it was never a barrel you could buy from Noveske. It has their logo and barrel info stamped into the barrel.

Where did this come from? An individual? A company? A non-stainless unmarked barrel sold as match grade sounds fishy.

Suwannee Tim
02-07-12, 16:40
Why don't you call Noveske and ask them?

Tweak
02-07-12, 19:45
cast or forged FSB?

markm
02-08-12, 06:37
I bought AR under the assumption that it had a 20" Noveske match grade heavy barrel on it. While it is very accurate, and the chamber is very tight...so tight I cannot shoot steel cased ammo.

Why would you shoot steel cased ammo in a "match grade" barrel any damned way? :blink:

Robb Jensen
02-08-12, 07:52
Hornady makes 55gr and 75gr Steel Match ammo and it truly is MATCH. The 75gr is only slightly less accurate than real BH Mk262 Mod1 in my BCM SS410s and has been 100% reliable. And it's CHEAP!

I've never seen an unmarked Noveske barrel even barrels who they provide to other manufacturers have the Noveske iron cross up near the muzzle.

markm
02-08-12, 08:17
Hornady makes 55gr and 75gr Steel Match ammo and it truly is MATCH.

That's true.... I forgot about that ammo.

Pappabear has this laser WOA barrel and I caught him AGAIN running dog shit Herters ammo in it on Sunday.

camoman
02-08-12, 19:50
I've got a custom stainless Noveske barrel from a run for a specific company so it was never a barrel you could buy from Noveske. It has their logo and barrel info stamped into the barrel.

Where did this come from? An individual? A company? A non-stainless unmarked barrel sold as match grade sounds fishy.

I got this used from a gun shop.

camoman
02-08-12, 20:00
Why don't you call Noveske and ask them?

I did call Noveske...And...I think his name is Todd...said they did, back in the day they did do a few runs for varmint hunters, that had 20" match heavy barrels, that the chambers were tight, and barrel info was scribed, not stamped on the barrel, he also said that the scribing could easily be covered up. The only way to be sure would be to send them the barrel.

buckshot1220
02-12-12, 00:03
Stupid question, but did you check under the handguards? Mfr's don't always stamp them fore of the FSB.

What about the rest of the rifle? Quality or questionable?