PDA

View Full Version : RRA Operator 2

Funkenstein
02-07-12, 15:00
I posted a while back about my father getting me a Rock River Arms Operator 2 as a present and how I was worried about its quality but not wanting to sell it so as to not upset my father.

After months of using it in various courses and drills of my own, and I am actually thoroughly impressed.

The two stage trigger isn't the best two stage trigger I have pulled but it definitely does its job.

The Chrome bolt is properly staked and is pretty smooth.

My groupings are always close together relative to range, and the brake actually works semi-well.

I have fired just over 1000 rounds (approx 600 brass, 400 NPA Steel) with zero malfunctions, jams, or hiccups.

Some complaints would only be the ugly folding front sight that is also the gas block with three sling loops, and an unnecessary bayonet lug.

I just wanted to post this as it may be a surprise to many.

Despite all of this I would still very much rather build a more proper rifle with BCM, DD, etc. parts and I plan to very soon as I have already started ordering various parts.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

-Funk

Inuvik
02-07-12, 15:21
Have you ever read the first post in this thread?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376

It basically addresses exactly what you are talking about.

I don't think anyone here would argue that it is impossible to get a good-running RRA, and it sounds like you have a good grasp on where things stand, and what to check for.

Funkenstein
02-07-12, 17:10
Yeah, that's a good post. I just wanted to point out that I actually got a good one in pretty much every aspect. And I had no control over it since my father bought it but I lucked out.

ST911
02-07-12, 17:21
Could you post pictures of the gun, emphasizing the staking, internal components, etc?

darbn
02-07-12, 17:31
I own a operator elite 2 also. It has been very good to me. I only shoot brass and the groups have been good with no jams at all. As for the 3 sling loops in the front, i punched 2 of them out and it looks much better.

Funkenstein
02-07-12, 17:35
My lower is getting engraved for a Trust right now but I will post pictures of the BCG and upper here in a bit.

I also forgot the mention that I also love the stock that it comes with. I will post pictures of the lower when it gets back from the engraver.

Funkenstein
02-07-12, 17:36
I own a operator elite 2 also. It has been very good to me. I only shoot brass and the groups have been good with no jams at all. As for the 3 sling loops in the front, i punched 2 of them out and it looks much better.

I saw another guys do this and I'm sure it looks better but you have to admit the whole front site is pretty ugly. :eek:

Funkenstein
02-07-12, 19:22
Here are a few pictures of my RRA Chrome BCG, Brake, and Upper.

http://uploadnow.org/image/335063-RRAbcg.jpeg
http://uploadnow.org/image/335066-RRAbrake.jpeg
http://uploadnow.org/image/335067-RRAupper.jpeg

Sanpete
02-07-12, 21:53
It's from your dad, it runs well, and it's from your dad. Keep it the way it is and treasure it.

Funkenstein
02-07-12, 22:28
I completely plan to. This thread is just show show an account of a well made RRA.

duece71
02-07-12, 23:07
Is the scope staying where it is located?? A scout configuration maybe?? Just curious.

Tzook
02-07-12, 23:10
I've heard some really good things about RRA's proprietary muzzle break, whatever it's called. It's extremely reasonably priced too

Hitech50
02-07-12, 23:20

-Funk

I have.. I have a RRA elite operator 2 and I've been very happy with it. After joining this site I went through all of the things that were suggested to check and everything was staked properly and looked fine. I also agree that those three sling points look bad. Since I use a single point sling I just used a couple small black zip ties to keep them from moving around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funkenstein
02-07-12, 23:25
Is the scope staying where it is located?? A scout configuration maybe?? Just curious.

Yes, it's a Burris 2.75x20mm so its focal point is much further away. I had this on one of my AK's since there is only rail beyond the receiver, but switched it to my AR and really like it. Scout scopes take a little getting used to but I have it zeroed in so tight :cool:

savagesteel
02-08-12, 01:27
The department I work for recently bought the RRA Operator to issue to us. I was not happy when I heard the news but it is growing on me. Mine appears to be staked properly except on the buffer tube lock nut, which isn't that big a deal. I do have a few complaints.....it is a heavy, heavy hog at 8 pounds. Fully loaded, aimpoint, and Surefire G2 and it is around 10lbs. I would also prefer a flash hider to the brake, it is very obnoxious but that is just the nature of muzzle brakes. I'm also not a fan of the three sling point attachments on the gas block/front sight, like the OP mentioned, and plan on getting a rail attachment point and zip tying or paracording them down since I'm not allowed to modify the rifle.

But it has been reliable for 1500 rounds and survived me tossing it around daily for the last 6 months. I'm just trying to decide if I should get a BCM or Colt lightweight carbine and jump through the admin hoops to be allowed to carry it or spend the money on ammo and stick with the RockRiver.

Funkenstein
02-08-12, 07:52
The department I work for recently bought the RRA Operator to issue to us. I was not happy when I heard the news but it is growing on me. Mine appears to be staked properly except on the buffer tube lock nut, which isn't that big a deal. I do have a few complaints.....it is a heavy, heavy hog at 8 pounds. Fully loaded, aimpoint, and Surefire G2 and it is around 10lbs. I would also prefer a flash hider to the brake, it is very obnoxious but that is just the nature of muzzle brakes. I'm also not a fan of the three sling point attachments on the gas block/front sight, like the OP mentioned, and plan on getting a rail attachment point and zip tying or paracording them down since I'm not allowed to modify the rifle.

But it has been reliable for 1500 rounds and survived me tossing it around daily for the last 6 months. I'm just trying to decide if I should get a BCM or Colt lightweight carbine and jump through the admin hoops to be allowed to carry it or spend the money on ammo and stick with the RockRiver.

Haha actually I was starting to type something about the weight of it but decided against it. But yes it is pretty hefty for a carbine. The brake is very loud comparable to others but it does work as a brake, which is nice.

It may be beyond worth it trying to get a Colt for your duty AR plus you would have to lock it in those center locks in your patrol car, doesn't that include adding a piece of metal to your AR?

Sry0fcr
02-08-12, 09:16
Most AR makers are capable of building duty grade weapons, they just choose not to. Some of the higher grade guns on the market may be driving some to do better. Time will tell, I'll let you guys be the guinea pigs though...

Ken1973
02-08-12, 10:18
Glad you're enjoying your RRA, your dad sounds like a great guy!

I had that same front sight/gas block on my first rifle. The clamp screws loosened up after about 700 rounds and kept coming loose after that, no matter what I put on them. I ended up ditching it altogether for a low pro gas block w/flip up sight on the rail. Just something to keep an eye on.

I'll also mirror Sry0fcr's comments as I don't really care for makers that charge extra for "features" like proper staking etc.

savagesteel
02-08-12, 11:44
It may be beyond worth it trying to get a Colt for your duty AR plus you would have to lock it in those center locks in your patrol car, doesn't that include adding a piece of metal to your AR?

That's a good point. I'll have to wait till the department gets around to installing the locking mounts to see how that's going to work out. The current shotgun mounts don't require anything added to the gun.

Funkenstein
02-08-12, 11:50
I had that same front sight/gas block on my first rifle. The clamp screws loosened up after about 700 rounds and kept coming loose after that, no matter what I put on them. I ended up ditching it altogether for a low pro gas block w/flip up sight on the rail. Just something to keep an eye on.

Is that install easy/ok to do yourself? I would love to get rid of it for a low pro.

Backroad
02-09-12, 10:43
I've had the RRA Entry Tactical for about a year now and have had the same experience - over 1000 rounds, no hiccups or malfunctions except for a couple of sloppy reloads. I'd recommend RRA to anyone looking for a good, basic AR.

Al

ST911
02-09-12, 10:56
We just had a multi-page debacle on RRA. Unless folks have something particularly topical to the OP and that particular model gun, everything else has already been said and additional posts here seem superfluous.

Ken1973
02-09-12, 11:03
Is that install easy/ok to do yourself? I would love to get rid of it for a low pro.

I took it to a smith to have it done properly.

Funkenstein
02-09-12, 11:04
I kind of thought this thread was about through anyway...

I did a search for RRA and couldn't find the thread you speak of.

Care to provide a link? I'm just curious to read.

ST911
02-09-12, 11:21
I kind of thought this thread was about through anyway... I did a search for RRA and couldn't find the thread you speak of. Care to provide a link? I'm just curious to read.

Keyword: RRA. Page 1 on return.

How bad is RRA?
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=97811

Iraqgunz
02-09-12, 12:42
May I ask why you are having it engraved? What is your next plan for it?

polymorpheous
02-09-12, 12:52
Material of the barrel steel?
Material of the bolt steel?
Is the bolt shot peened?
Are the bolt and barrel high pressure tested followed by a magnetic particle test?
Does the chamber gauge out at 5.56mm NATO?

The bolt and barrel are the heart and soul of the rifle.
These are pertinent questions.

Funkenstein
02-09-12, 13:35
May I ask why you are having it engraved? What is your next plan for it?

Getting it engraved for a Trust in the future. Also have a Charles Daly lower getting engraved that will be built into SBR pretty soon.

Iraqgunz
02-09-12, 13:58
Let me be specific. Are you going to use the RRA to build an SBR? If not I am trying to make sense as to why you would engrave a lower for a trust unless you are going to SBR it.

Getting it engraved for a Trust in the future. Also have a Charles Daly lower getting engraved that will be built into SBR pretty soon.

Funkenstein
02-09-12, 14:01
In the future possibly but I couldn't pass it up for $15 for a professional job.

Correct me if I'm wrong but can't you have firearms with the Trust engraving that aren't SBR or anything NFA as long as the serial is not registered? That was wordy I know...

Iraqgunz
02-09-12, 14:05
I have no idea what you just said. You could probably engrave all of your weapons if you so desired, but it would serve no purpose. A trust is generally used by personnel to buy and hold NFA items, not everyday off the shelf firearms.

In the future possibly but I couldn't pass it up for $15 for a professional job.

Correct me if I'm wrong but can't you have firearms with the Trust engraving that aren't SBR or anything NFA as long as the serial is not registered? That was wordy I know...

Funkenstein
02-09-12, 14:09
Ok, yes. I am just engraving it for future SBR if I want to because the gentleman that is engraving them has trouble setting his engraver for a lower since he usually only does award plates and such. So to save him trouble and me money, I had him do them both for $15.

I have no idea what you just said. You could probably engrave all of your weapons if you so desired, but it would serve no purpose. A trust is generally used by personnel to buy and hold NFA items, not everyday off the shelf firearms.

J_Dub_503
02-09-12, 17:22
Glad there's been no hiccups so far, sentimental value goes a long way...I have a Glenfield Model 60 that's had about 40,000 rounds through it, the rifle used to belong to my uncle then my father and now myself. The barrel is now becoming loose inside the receiver and there is about a 1/4 inch of wobble at the muzzle. Being that it's a aluminum receiver the possibility of having it repaired is not likely but I'll hold onto it none the less.

darbn
02-09-12, 18:07
I've had the RRA Entry Tactical for about a year now and have had the same experience - over 1000 rounds, no hiccups or malfunctions except for a couple of sloppy reloads. I'd recommend RRA to anyone looking for a good, basic AR.

Al

You get a lot of extras with an operator. I am very pleased with mine also.

warlord260
02-09-12, 18:11
Here are a few pictures of my RRA Chrome BCG, Brake, and Upper.

http://uploadnow.org/image/335063-RRAbcg.jpeg
http://uploadnow.org/image/335066-RRAbrake.jpeg
http://uploadnow.org/image/335067-RRAupper.jpeg

Whats up with that vertical grip? Does it have a bipod coming out of it?
It looks really long, can you go prone with that?
Also dont understand the bolt on gas block with sling attachments, would think if using a sling it would come loose.

darbn
02-09-12, 18:25
Also dont understand the bolt on gas block with sling attachments, would think if using a sling it would come loose.

These grips are really nice. Good height from a table.

SMETNA
02-09-12, 19:23

Yes. My elite comp feeds, extracts and ejects flawlessly so far. Accuracy wise, 1.5 - 2.0 Moa with run of the mill M855. I've never shot reeaal niiiice match ammo through it, but I'm sure it could do 1 Moa with a good load.

I love the RRA tactical break. Particularly the glass breaker/ DNA collector edge on it. It's damn effective for $35.

BKennedy
02-09-12, 20:04
To the OP:
Not to be an ass, but what kind of courses are you hitting that you're just now breaking 1k?

Funkenstein
02-10-12, 10:35

That's a military issue vertical grip that has a spring loaded bipod that pops out with a button on the back. It's a little heavier than most but going prone actually works well with a 30 round mag.

And I'm sure the coming lose part could happen. Poor design in my opinion but since my scout scope prevents it from being used anyway it's ok for now.

I love the RRA tactical break. Particularly the glass breaker/ DNA collector edge on it. It's damn effective for $35.

Haha yeah it's pretty nice. I have accidentally gouged my table when breaking it down for cleaning though:bad:

Not to be an ass, but what kind of courses are you hitting that you're just now breaking 1k?

No, you're fine man. I said courses of my own. I own 18 acres of land so I set up various balloons and run a 3 gun course. Usually I will only put about 4 rounds in each mag so I can simulate tactical mag changes etc. A lot of it also simulates some training from my own USMC experience and some Chris Costa stuff.

polymorpheous
02-10-12, 13:07
I said courses of my own. I own 18 acres of land so I set up various balloons and run a 3 gun course. Usually I will only put about 4 rounds in each mag so I can simulate tactical mag changes etc. A lot of it also simulates some training from my own USMC experience and some Chris Costa stuff.

Teaching yourself weapon handling skills is a bad idea.
Military training is minimal training for weapons manipulations and is generally decades outdated.
Watching videos of the current firearms celebrity, and aping him is not training.

OP, get yourself to a class.

Funkenstein
02-12-12, 18:55
Way to slap me in the face with that.

Shawn.L
02-12-12, 19:18
Teaching yourself weapon handling skills is a bad idea.
Military training is minimal training for weapons manipulations and is generally decades outdated.
Watching videos of the current firearms celebrity, and aping him is not training.

someone give this man a ****ing medal !

ok, my first carbine had a RRA upper. It saw maybe 2-3k rounds and "never failed" , but it took 2 years to shoot that much. I cant jump on the hate the 2nd tier makers bandwagon here, but my level of use and standards have certainly jumped over the years and now 1k is heavy class , prob 400/day in a course is a good number, so its less about the brand and more about how much the gun really gets shot. If Im dropping several k/year through a gun then a extra couple bucks on the hardware is less of a investment as the gun:ammo spending ratio gets a little lopsided .

SMETNA
02-26-12, 19:15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLDPl0rguAE&feature=channel_video_title

This JUST in. This guy makes no bones about it: RRA are not milspec. They dont HPT, MPI. They don't use the best barrel steel. They dont have a milspec trigger.

But he still loves them . . .

Shiz
02-26-12, 19:26

Agree...

There are always some relatively inexpensive classes to be had. It serves a a good foundation so you can actually run yourself through those drills in the future.

Funkenstein
02-26-12, 20:09
Why is this thread being resurrected?

My posts were deleted about me saying that I agree I should take a class, I would love to and plan to in the near future.

Our training isn't out of date. We train CQB with peq-15's, nvg, and use high end weapons such as Colt, FNH, and KAC.

Please close this thread already, I have made my point.

VIP3R 237
02-26-12, 20:10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLDPl0rguAE&feature=channel_video_title

This JUST in. This guy makes no bones about it: RRA are not milspec. They dont HPT, MPI. They don't use the best barrel steel. They dont have a milspec trigger.

But he still loves them . . .

And according to him bushmaster delton and stag are great rifles too. Not the biggest fan of nutnfancy. He contradicts him self too much to really respect what he says.

SMETNA
02-26-12, 20:32
That he does. He thinks a fully TDP followed rifle costs 40% more than a RRA. And with lmt, dd, noveske maybe that's closer to true.

But when there are colt 6920 rifles out there for right around $1000, it's a no brainer.

DeltaSierra
02-26-12, 22:52
Nutnfancy may be a good shooter, but he is a terrible reviewer...

Some of the stuff that comes out of his mouth amazes me...