PDA

View Full Version : Worth buying a SF X300 right now?

SpookyPistolero
02-07-12, 15:30
I've got a TLR1 that stays on a pistol. I haven't put it through hell. I do leave it on the weapon for general shooting and training, and haven't had issues from it.

I'd like to get something for my AR, so I am deciding between another TLR1 or an X300. Based on slightly better reviews of the X300 I was leaning towards that.

Given that we're just post-SHOT, should I wait? Wondering...

1) Will the price on the X300 come down with the release of the ultra?

2) Is the 500 lumen output of the Ultra too much for an HD/SD gun? (Should I stick with outpu on par with the TLR/X300?)

3) For someone not swimming through salt water or waiting out sand storms, is it worth the X300 vs the TLR?

Thanks in advance for the use of your psychic powers. :D

Cesiumsponge
02-07-12, 15:34
Which location are you going to mount the light on your AR? , the X300 ultra is tempting; I bought my X300 for the AR before I heard the ultra was being released.

SpookyPistolero
02-07-12, 15:40
Up near the FSB, off of MOE handguards. MI FSB vs. Scout mount.

Guns-up.50
02-08-12, 09:20
The X300 IMO is the best choice for any weapon especially rifles I do like scouts but for the money its hard to be an x300. On the other hand it is double the price than other lights (TLR, insights) for the common person it adds up when paying 250 for a light. Its awlful tempting to get a less expensive light that will likley serve one well, but then you will have to worrie about the D#*K measuring contest about how yours isnt a sure fire. If you have the funds go for an x300 you wont be sorry; 500 lumens is cool but not a must we made do with 60 lumen plastic 6ps with zip ties and eletricle tape in Iraq. Look around people will be selling theirs soon for the next best thing..
Godd luck

Biggy
02-08-12, 11:49
I believe I recently read where the standard X300 lights are going to be upgraded from 170 to 250 lumens .

bp7178
02-08-12, 11:53
I just paid $210 retail for a 2011 version of the X300.

I had called their (Surefire's) LE/Mil sales department and asked about when the X300 ultra was going to be released and didn't really get any solid info.

My long term plan was to put the lower power X300 on a pistol when the higher powered one was released. There's something to be said about having both light systems the same on a primary and secondary weapon. If one went down you could swap them w/o resorting to using a flashlight with your rifle in some kind of awkward fashion.

The Scout is an amazing light, but having owned both it and the X300, I don't think it brings much to the table the X300 doesn't, and I like the redundancy of having two X300s.

Huskyfever03
02-08-12, 16:05
Impact weapon components has x300's for $192

I bought a new one before shot for 215 shipped. Works fine for my needs. I'll probably get the ultra when it's released anyways.

TehLlama
02-08-12, 20:51
I really do prefer the lower output, and anything under $200 shipped is where I've decided to pick up as many as I need at any given moment - they're worth at least that to me (in new or used condition) because of their versatility.

I'm not totally sold on more output being really better, but maybe they'll release ones with the new LEDs but moderate output (for even longer battery life).

MSteele
02-08-12, 21:29
I have used both the TLR & X300, with that said I now have the X300 on my pistol & scout on my AR. You need to ask yourself do you really need the new 500 and what would you be using it for. The standard x300 does the job perfectly and my scout is 200 and lights up dark streets. I like the scout because I use the sr07 switch which is a huge convenience mounted on your rail. Like others have said the older x300 will probably be cheaper and tons of people will be selling theirs here on the EE.

Alaskapopo
02-08-12, 21:50
500 lumins is way better outdoors and if this is going on a carbine instead of just a handgun I would wait for the Ultra. I will be ugrading my X300's as soon as the Ultra is out.
Pat

PD Sgt.
02-08-12, 22:18
I too will probably pick one of the Ultras up for my carbine, but will leave the standard version on my pistol. So far the 170 lumen output has not seemed inadequate indoors, where I primarily use my handgun. I can see where the extra light could be useful outdoors, where I primarily use my carbine.

I will add I do not use a carbine at work currently, so my need to use one indoors is not as great as if I were carrying one on-duty.

Pilgrim
02-08-12, 22:21
500 lumins is way better outdoors and if this is going on a carbine instead of just a handgun I would wait for the Ultra. I will be ugrading my X300's as soon as the Ultra is out.
Pat

Pat is right about this... I just came in from a varmint hunt, got to the edge of the first field, hit the light, 150 yards away is a canine sitting pretty looking right at me yellow eyes glowing... was using a 1-4x20, and the TLR-1 I had on just didn't have enough power to let me see 'exactly' what I was shooting at... fox, coyote, stray dog, etc... Kinda warmish out now with lots of humidity in the air, and the TLR-1 just wasn't getting the job done. Passed up on the perfect shot, simply because my light wasn't up to the task, even with that big huge moon we got shining like crazy tonight.

"Got to have more power!"

Guns-up.50
02-08-12, 22:42
Pat

Let me know when you are selling:D

I personally would rather see longer battrie life than more lumen. Any one know the life of the ultra

Alaskapopo
02-08-12, 23:23
Let me know when you are selling:D

I personally would rather see longer battrie life than more lumen. Any one know the life of the ultra

One of my buddies already has dips on one of them and the other I am going to put on my truck gun.
Pat

Moose-Knuckle
02-09-12, 02:20
LAPG has reduced the SF X300 to $195 after the SHOT annoucement of the latest generation.

Cesiumsponge
02-09-12, 08:33
Anyone know the beam profile of the ultra? If its more of a flood profile, reach won't extend any further. If its a spot profile with less spill, then 500 lumens much more useful.

ra2bach
02-09-12, 12:04
Anyone know the beam profile of the ultra? If its more of a flood profile, reach won't extend any further. If its a spot profile with less spill, then 500 lumens much more useful.

this is what I found with a 460 lumen drop-in for my SF handheld - the increase in lumens didn't really project any further but filled a MUCH wider area with clean white light. at $29, I'll be converting everything I own if it holds up as a weapon light....

Cesiumsponge
02-09-12, 12:31
It mainly depends on the reflector (or TIR lens). For the most part, P60 drop-in units are limited on the depth of the parabolic reflectors so throw is limited. I've got a 500 lumen drop-in for my Centurion and it has no reflector, just three LEDs in shallow TIRs and it is an insane wall of light, but no throw. By contrast, the LED drop-in for my M3 combatlight is only 250 lumens but has fantastic throw because the head allows a much deeper reflector. I've got a 200ish lumen aspherical Tiablo A9 that will illuminate past 500 yards but its a pencil-thin beam, completely lacking in any side spill.

I'm hoping Surefire is designing the ultra more towards carbine use and put a longer throw on it while retaining useful side spill for retaining situational awareness.

this is what I found with a 460 lumen drop-in for my SF handheld - the increase in lumens didn't really project any further but filled a MUCH wider area with clean white light. at $29, I'll be converting everything I own if it holds up as a weapon light....

Biggy
02-10-12, 12:45
Here is some info I just received from Surefire regarding some of their new products for 2012.

Unfortunately there haven't been any dates announced for those products yet. The upgraded X300 and the UM2 are both to be decided. And the X300 Ultra is expected sometime in the second quarter, ranging from April-June. Sorry we don’t have more specific times on the expected release dates. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Hayley Mammen
Customer Service Department
SUREFIRE, LLC

JBecker 72
02-10-12, 12:53
I recently picked up 2 X300 lights for $200 shipped each. Sold off my TLR1s that wouldn't stay tight on anything I had.