PDA

View Full Version : Basic AR Assembly

Bigkrackers
02-07-12, 22:47
I hope I’m not creating a lot of noise by starting this thread. I’m assembling my first AR and have what I believe to be a basic setup that can transition and grow as I become more familiar with the platform. I am not new to black guns and have enjoyed many rounds through my FAL. However, I know much less about AR’s.

So why not just go by a Colt? Because I want to put one together and I’m having a lot of fun doing all the research. In fact, looking through all the stickys made me want to build one. Notice I am not building one, just assembling one. Maybe I’ll build my next one.

So I’m going with a BCM blem complete lower - minus stock I just received from Grant at G&R Tactical.
Just received my BCM auto BCG and Gunfighter mod 4 charging handle from BCM.

I will be getting the BCM BFH 16” mid length light weight upper with magpul MOE hand guards.

I’m holding out for the new Magpul STR stock and BCM’s new pistol grip.

I’m going to run with iron sites for a while and leaning towards Matech – BU.

Other than a bunch of Pmags that’s about it. No slings, no lights, lasers or other gadgets. I will eventually make this a HD gun but I want to put a few thousands round through first.

Am I missing anything for this very basic assembly or possibly going down the wrong road with part of the configuration?

DeltaSierra
02-07-12, 22:52
If you are going to shoot the rifle, put a sling on it...

That should be a priority.....

Surf
02-08-12, 03:05
Notice I am not building one, just assembling one. Maybe I’ll build my next one.
You must have some disposable cash or know the right people if you can go from assembling your first rifle then straight into building your second one. If you want to put up the money for all the machinery / start up costs, I will partner with you and build some of the finest AR/M4's to hit the market. :)

motorolahamm
02-08-12, 06:27
You must have some disposable cash or know the right people if you can go from assembling your first rifle then straight into building your second one. If you want to put up the money for all the machinery / start up costs, I will partner with you and build some of the finest AR/M4's to hit the market. :)

Wait Red Jacket is already doing that lol;) just kidding guys

Bigkrackers
02-08-12, 06:51

Well, I know that on a few other gun forums assemble and build are enter changeable. However, while I have been absorbing the knowledge on this site for the last three months it is clear that most people here view the putting together of a completed upper to a completed lower as simply assembling a gun while putting all the parts together on a stripped upper and lower would be building a gun. I'll save the manufacturing to others. ;)

Bigkrackers
02-08-12, 09:47
If you are going to shoot the rifle, put a sling on it...

That should be a priority.....

Just curious why a sling is a priority at this point? Do you use a sling on your rifle when at a range?

I was trending towards the Victory/Blue Force but didn't think a sling was important just yet. Thanks for your time and input. I'll make sure to include a sling when I get the upper.

arptsprt
02-08-12, 10:29
As far as I am concerned, a sling for a rifle is akin to a holster for a handgun. It's a necessity for anything but a dedicated bench gun. Period.

Further, it's my opinion that if you're heading the way of using this rifle for HD, even if you're at, "just the range," you should be practicing more than just bench shooting. Offhand, prone, kneeling and a sling is important. I prefer the BF VCAS for my rifles.

Your choices of upper and lower are good ones.

p22shooter30
02-08-12, 10:51
get a remington 870 for home defense. i dont know why everyone thinks they need an assualt rifle for home defense

m16
02-08-12, 11:01
get a remington 870 for home defense. i dont know why everyone thinks they need an assualt rifle for home defense

My 870's are heavy and long, even with 18.5" barrels.

I'll take a light, compact carbine with 30 rounds of frangible ammo over an 870, any day.

There is no "one gun" that will fit the home defense needs of every single shooter.

JSantoro
02-08-12, 11:20
If you hens can't get past yammering about shotguns and slings, and talk about assembly of the gun, this is gonna get canked.

Post because you have something to say, not because you just feel like saying something.

Lotta the latter going on, right now.

MistWolf
02-08-12, 13:39
I hope I’m not creating a lot of noise by starting this thread. I’m assembling my first AR and have what I believe to be a basic setup that can transition and grow as I become more familiar with the platform. I am not new to black guns and have enjoyed many rounds through my FAL. However, I know much less about AR’s.

So why not just go by a Colt? Because I want to put one together and I’m having a lot of fun doing all the research. In fact, looking through all the stickys made me want to build one. Notice I am not building one, just assembling one. Maybe I’ll build my next one.

So I’m going with a BCM blem complete lower - minus stock I just received from Grant at G&R Tactical.
Just received my BCM auto BCG and Gunfighter mod 4 charging handle from BCM.

I will be getting the BCM BFH 16” mid length light weight upper with magpul MOE hand guards.

I’m holding out for the new Magpul STR stock and BCM’s new pistol grip.

Other than a bunch of Pmags that’s about it. No slings, no lights, lasers or other gadgets. I will eventually make this a HD gun but I want to put a few thousands round through first.

Am I missing anything for this very basic assembly or possibly going down the wrong road with part of the configuration?

As far as I can tell, your list of parts and assemblies looks good. It should result in a very solid basic carbine. I like your plan to shoot the rifle before going with any upgrades. For example, railed handguards are very popular, but realistically, what's the average shooter going to do with all that rail estate? At first, I wanted a free float rail on my carbine, but decided to follow the advice rob_s gives: "Go shoot it". I started with a MOE handguard instead and so far, have found no need for the extra rail space.

Building an AR is said to be as easy as Legos. Yes and no. Yes, if you pay attention to details and know what details to pay attention to. No if you don't know what you don't know. For example, if you don't take time to figure out what torquing the barrel nut feels like, it's a good chance it won't come out right. Not that it's complicated, but tightening a large aluminum nut on an aluminum part has a feel completely different than smaller diameter steel. Getting the threads started correctly is critical with aluminum. They will easily distort or cross thread and by the time you feel it, the damage is already. Aluminum on aluminum will gall. It's imperative to use thread lube prior to assembly. Aluminum threads are either good or they are bad. There is very little margin between the two.

The shortest distance from Point A to "Oh crap!" is a short cut. Use plenty of tape to protect surfaces from damage, especially when assembling the lower. Most of the time a slip of the tool means the finish is scarred. No big deal. But it also means if you slip big enough, you could deform, crack or break something. Using tape will help prevent that even if it's just a little. Use the right tool. A long punch will go a long way to making the installation of the bolt release paddle easier. A barrel vise mounted as close to the muzzle as practical will make clocking the muzzle device easier. Using the right hammers will prevent unnecessary damage and frustration. A magnet will help hold pins in place.

Take your time and pay attention to details. Over clocking or under clocking the barrel nut will push the gas tube to one side or the other which will in turn, push the gas key and the whole BCG. The gas tube must float freely where is enters the upper. If the barrel nut needs to be re-aligned, don't make the mistake of thinking you'll be able to turn it just a little with the gas tube in place. This is one of those short cuts to "Oh crap!" Make sure you remove the gas tube before attempting to re-align the barrel nut.

Do not use Locktite. Do not install anything dry (I did not install my gas key. This may be an exception). Always use thread lube. Torque smoothly. Torque the barrel nut and receiver extension castle nut at least twice before final torque. Do not over torque. Do not over stake. Staking is a mechanical locking method used to keep things from vibrating loose once they have been properly torqued, nothing more. Over-staking can damage the underlying parts.

Don't let any of this intimidate you. Take your time, pay attention to detail, stay focused, don't over-think it. Only you know if you're ready to assemble an AR. If not, admit it to yourself and do what's right. If you do take the plunge, it's up to you to do what's needed to make sure it's right. Your plan to start with a simple basic carbine is a good one

Colt-45
02-08-12, 19:52
I follow a simple principle:

-DI AR's I build myself.
-Piston AR's buy complete from factory.

flapstick1
02-08-12, 22:42
I recommend building it yourself as well. Even if you just do the lower, you will be happy you did. It is actually very easy and there are plenty of guides that walk you through each step.

If you do build your own, enjoy the forward pivot pin detent. It was truly the only challenging part, other than that easy day.

Just my .02 as a new guy. Have fun with it.

J_Dub_503
02-09-12, 18:52
Don't discredit GI magazines with Magpul enhanced followers...Bravo comapany has them for $9.99. (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-Magazines-p/magazines%20dh%20gt30mf.htm)

p22shooter30
02-09-12, 21:00
I recommend building it yourself as well. Even if you just do the lower, you will be happy you did. It is actually very easy and there are plenty of guides that walk you through each step.

If you do build your own, enjoy the forward pivot pin detent. It was truly the only challenging part, other than that easy day.

Just my .02 as a new guy. Have fun with it.

chasing that spring and detent all over the floor a couple of times sure is fun though!!

Bigkrackers
02-09-12, 21:03
Don't discredit GI magazines with Magpul enhanced followers...Bravo comapany has them for $9.99. (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-Magazines-p/magazines%20dh%20gt30mf.htm)

I was planing on getting a few of each then stocking up on them. Any issues with having a mix? Example; 7 or 8 pmags and a couple dozen Enhanced GI mags? Or is it best to stick with one or the other?

J_Dub_503
02-09-12, 21:07
I was planing on getting a few of each then stocking up on them. Any issues with having a mix? Example; 7 or 8 pmags and a couple dozen Enhanced GI mags? Or is it best to stick with one or the other?

If you run a chest rig you may have problems fitting Pmags into pouches but that's an easy fix. Other than that I don't see any problems.

Bigkrackers
02-28-12, 22:17
Well, here it is. MBUS Gen 2 is on its way.http://img.tapatalk.com/4b499f87-a719-09ea.jpg

Bigkrackers
03-03-12, 12:44
Got the MBUS in the mail on Thursday. Did a quick clean and lubed everything up with some liquid Froglube.

It was a spur of the moment trip to the range today so I only had time to pick up a couple hundred round of mixed UMC with WWB...all they had.

I bought a 10 pack of 30rnd Brownells magazines and used those.

It was only a couple hundred rounds so by no means a significant test, however, I had no issues at all. As this is my first AR I am pretty pleased.

I just want to say thanks to everyone who contributes to the quality of this forum and to those who maintain it. This site is such a great resource.

Huldra128
03-03-12, 13:08
Looks like a very light weight gun! Any idea how much it weighs? I am testing out a piston upper that I ordered that has a pencil barrel on it. I know the DI's are going to be a little lighter. Thanks for sharing the picture.

J_Dub_503
03-03-12, 14:31
Nice stick, please post some more pictures.

SpookyPistolero
03-03-12, 16:12
Build looks fine; seems to be a standard BCM model where you assemble it instead of BCM. Make sure you double check what you're doing or you'll waste a gun and some money, or worse.

1) If you're running just irons, I'd get a decent fixed sight instead of something meant to be a back up. I like the DD fixed, but I currently use a chopped carry handle.

2) Lights and slings (and red dots) aren't gadgets; they're bare necessities. Can't shoot what you can't identify; can't manage the weapon and other gear very well without a sling; won't shoot as fast without a red dot.

Bigkrackers
03-03-12, 16:48
1) If you're running just irons, I'd get a decent fixed sight instead of something meant to be a back up. I like the DD fixed, but I currently use a chopped carry handle.

2) Lights and slings (and red dots) aren't gadgets; they're bare necessities. Can't shoot what you can't identify; can't manage the weapon and other gear very well without a sling; won't shoot as fast without a red dot.

Thank you for the input. I'm not running fixed sights because I will eventually be getting a red dot and didn't see the necessity of getting a fixed sight (DD is what I would have bought)just to put it in a parts drawer six months from now. From what I've read on this forum the MBUS should be fine for my purpose. If a red dot wasn't in the plans for a while I would be doing exactly what you advise.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or flippant, however, people have been successfully defending themselves for a long time without flashlights and lasers attached to their weapons. I'm not sold that they are bare necessities, however, I do see value in them. Once I have run enough rounds through the rifle to deem it reliable for HD I will be putting a light on it. As for the sling, this has already been discussed in this thread. I have a sling on the rifle, its just not in the pictures.

Bigkrackers
03-03-12, 17:14
Here are some additional pictures. I don't know how light the rifle is. I'll break out our old digital baby scale and find out.

Alpha1979
03-03-12, 17:41
Love the photos, great job on the build. Quick question: Say I'm 99% finished building my AR with RRA parts, however, I can't for the life of me find a stripped lower receiver made by RRA, could/should I use a different name brand??

Sent from my RubiX ICS Infused using Tapatalk

Bigkrackers
03-03-12, 18:06
Alpha1979 - I am by no means an AR expert. From reading the various posts on this site over the last few months I can only tell you that people do use stripped lowers from a manufacturer that is different from the rest of the parts on their rifle.
If you need a more detailed response you will need to sift through the forum for a better answer.
I would hesitate to post a new thread on your question because the info as already out there. Best to just use the search function if you need better information than what I provided.

mcrazor1
03-03-12, 18:10
I got my BCM lower in one week. Not stripped though. You can always go with a stripped Spikes lower.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Alpha1979
03-03-12, 18:22
Thank you very much :D

Youngbp04
03-03-12, 18:56
Thank you very much :D

RRA does make stripped lowers. I actually finished my build with one a couple of weeks ago. You will see a lot of people on here aren't fans of RRA, but a stripped lower, depending on the material, is a stripped lower. Do a bit of research on RRA, the topic has been discuss frequently.

With that said, I have a RRA stripped lower, PSA LPK with a Geissele SSA- E trigger, Magpul adjustable buttstock, DD Stripped upper, DD CHF Barrel, DD BCG, Yankee hill gas tube, DD low profile gas block, BCM gunfighter charging handle and a Wilson combat free floatig hand guard. On top of that I have an eotech XPS-3 holographic sight and front and rear MBUS as my co-witnessnable backups. As you can tell I am not part of the "all parts must be from one brand" party. My feeling is you go with the manufacture that you think are the best at making the specific part. If you are assembling or building a gun and every part is going to be set up as if you bought it "off the rack" you might as well buy it off the rack.

Just my thoughts.

Alpha1979
03-03-12, 19:06
RRA does make stripped lowers. I actually finished my build with one a couple of weeks ago. You will see a lot of people on here aren't fans of RRA, but a stripped lower, depending on the material, is a stripped lower. Do a bit of research on RRA, the topic has been discuss frequently.

With that said, I have a RRA stripped lower, PSA LPK with a Geissele SSA- E trigger, Magpul adjustable buttstock, DD Stripped upper, DD CHF Barrel, DD BCG, Yankee hill gas tube, DD low profile gas block, BCM gunfighter charging handle and a Wilson combat free floatig hand guard. On top of that I have an eotech XPS-3 holographic sight and front and rear MBUS as my co-witnessnable backups. As you can tell I am not part of the "all parts must be from one brand" party. My feeling is you go with the manufacture that you think are the best at making the specific part. If you are assembling or building a gun and every part is going to be set up as if you bought it "off the rack" you might as well buy it off the rack.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks bro, that was truly insightful. Helped me make up my mind.

Shokr21
03-03-12, 19:06
Looks like a quality light weight build.

Good job and thanks for the write up and follow through.

Youngbp04
03-03-12, 22:46
Thanks bro, that was truly insightful. Helped me make up my mind.

No worries man! Hopefully didn't come off as an ass, I didn't mean it to be. Good luck with you build! Keep us posted.