PDA

View Full Version : Ethics question

Kfgk14
02-07-12, 23:00
My retreat is in the more-or-less center of a field, with a 360 degree field of view, 200 yard line of sight minimum.
I've been mulling something over: when it all goes down, I don't need any visitors. If I adequately post the surrounding forest, the fence, string barbed wire, generally make visiting seem like a bad idea, and give a clear vocal warning (I have a PA system in my truck) and someone still advances/doesn't explicitly follow my instructions, am I justified in taking the shot, assuming I have a quantifiable fear of harm (I.e. hostile nature, weapons, large group, multiple people approaching from different points, etc.)? Moreover, could you, in that situation, justify to yourself shooting to kill?

Thanks.

Just a Jarhead
02-08-12, 02:58
You left out the most important detail of your hypothetical situation that will allow us to give you valued feedback.

What is the level of shtf situation? Has society and the rule of law totally collapsed? If so, I make sure part of my supplies was material to make signs with clear instructions and post them amply

"TRESPASSERS WILL BE SHOT, Approach House With Hands In The Air, DO NOT PASS RED MARKER (100 yards from house, call to house until someone responds. No response, go away! )OR YOU WILL BE SHOT & KILLED. NO QUESTIONS ASKED. THIS IS YOUR ONLY WARNING"

If they fail to obey my clear instruction in any way,and they pass the red marker or hands are not in the air, they're intent is clearly sinister & they get double tapped. They may get a one last warning call from the bull horn or warning shot, depends on who & how many. Or they may get dropped no warning at all. No remorse, no regrets. Okay maybe some if it's a woman or child. I'll probably throw up and shed a tear at where we've come to. I clearly warned them and my conscience is clear. Man, woman, child old enough to read. I don't care. Someone with innocent intent will read the sign and obey such a stern warnings. If the parent is visible and they send the child in past the marker despite the warnings, they all may get shot, even those beyond the marker. It will be hard, but it has to be done in a situation like this. We're not an orphanage, and it could be a ploy to draw us out into the open. God help us.

If society hasn't totally collapsed you'll need to be much more cautious & humane.

docsherm
02-08-12, 10:43
If you make it clear that people are not welcome then that is on them. Oh well, you have to do what you need to do.

Just a Jarhead spelled it out.....with all of that they have no reason to be coming past those signs unless it is for nefarious reasons.