PDA

View Full Version : Help with a $600 to $800 M4 build.

blackbelt
02-08-12, 00:10
I have not done a build in over ten years and to say the least things have changed a bit. I would like to build an M4 16" style rifle. I already have a stripped lower so in simplest terms I need a complete kit. I am not opposed to purchasing from multiple locations if needed. Economy being what it is I would like to be in the neighborhood of $600 with a max of $800.

What I am looking for are suggestions to fit within my constraints but still having decent quality.

Thanks in advance for the help.

crusader377
02-08-12, 07:54
I did a similiar build recently and I posted my experience in this thread:
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=73857&page=2

Some things may have changed particularly the smartgunner pricing and shipping times have gotten very long with them so if I wanted to build a carbine right now, I would do the following:

Your choice of 16" BCM upper: $400
BCG and charging handle from BCM: $160
DD LPK from aimsurplus: $80 (You can also buy a PSA kit for $50 if you want to save money)
Magpul MOE carbine build kit from dsg arms $99
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/MGMOEKITBLK.aspx
I purchased this kit and upgraded to H buffer and my total price was $115.

Even using the DD LPK and upgrading the DSG kit, you are at $755 and you have built a very high quality carbine. Add the BUIS of your choice and you are ready to go.

amd5007
02-08-12, 07:56
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/rifle-kits/16-m4-cmv-standard-rifle-kit.html

If you really are concerned about cost, this is a good bet. Although recently PSA has started to get a bad rep, it's my experience that they offer good products at a good price with decent service.

It's a complete kit but you need to select a rear sight, then you're ready to shoot.

djmorris
02-08-12, 09:14
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6920MPU

Get this Colt upper. It comes with the MOE handguards, Colt BCG, charging handle, and even the Magpul MBUS. Best deal you can find, guaranteed.

Then put a decent lower on it from either A) Palmetto State Armory or B) Blemished BCM lower (you'll pay more)

Total price will be like $750 for a very high quality rifle with extras. Schwwwwiing!

blackbelt
02-12-12, 00:24
Thanks for the ideas guys. They are all great and when it happens I'll show you how I did.

cj5_dude
02-12-12, 01:04
You can get a S&W M&P 15 Sport for under $700 new and you don't have to build anything. It sounds like this is just as a range toy and that's all the Sport is for.

Iraqgunz
02-12-12, 01:30
Here's another subject beat death. Please use the search button. Do not skimp on buying proper parts. If you need to wait then so be it.

digdug18
02-12-12, 02:13
Perhaps a sticky is in order for cheap builds?

Javelin
02-12-12, 02:18

Yeah.. we could categorize them by $100 increments. Pro's and Con's to each....

$600 build click here
$700 build click here
$800 build click here
$900 (But not quite enough to buy a Colt) build click here

//somewhat use of sarcasm btw

:D

seb5
02-12-12, 08:49
Yeah.. we could categorize them by $100 increments. Pro's and Con's to each....

$600 build click here
$700 build click here
$800 build click here
$900 (But not quite enough to buy a Colt) build click here

//somewhat use of sarcasm btw

:D

Remember, it's not sarcasm if it's the truth!

Todd00000
02-12-12, 09:28
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/rifle-kits/16-m4-cmv-standard-rifle-kit.html

If you really are concerned about cost, this is a good bet. Although recently PSA has started to get a bad rep, it's my experience that they offer good products at a good price with decent service.

It's a complete kit but you need to select a rear sight, then you're ready to shoot.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6920MPU

Get this Colt upper. It comes with the MOE handguards, Colt BCG, charging handle, and even the Magpul MBUS. Best deal you can find, guaranteed.

Then put a decent lower on it from either A) Palmetto State Armory or B) Blemished BCM lower (you'll pay more)

Total price will be like $750 for a very high quality rifle with extras. Schwwwwiing!

Wow, learned something new again on this great forum; what great prices. Maybe the only thing I would replace would be a better buffer, but only after shooting it.

Tell me can a good gunsmith give you M4 feed ramps?

My PSA is from 1993 when I was in collage and Clinton was talking about the assault weapons ban, it has a govt. A1 barrel and has held up very well.

JSantoro
02-12-12, 11:09

Or, perhaps NOT enabling intellectual laziness too far by encouraging the use of the Search features...?

We have plenty of stickied threads....which the vast majority of our members ignore, anyway; I mean, why read the stickies when one can default to the self-centered assumption that any given question has NEVER been asked or addressed before, and start a new thread? And, once informed that it's been done....ask for a sticky, all in the name of not doing the legwork and trying to disguise it as effeciency.

If we're gonna add another, it'd better be a damned sight more worthwhile than catering to the coupon-cutters. Price-based market research is a side-product, not the intent of the forum.

What adults learn best are the things that they find out for themselves, so pointing to the stickies that exist and encouraging folks to use Search will continue to be the order of the day, in spite of the sudden explosion of pleas from members all over the board to have things spoon-fed to them.

Not. Happening. Reading isn't as scary as the instant-gratification-centric emos make it out to be.

St.Michael
02-12-12, 12:34
save up more buy once cry once

blackbelt
02-12-12, 19:39
To start off with I just want to say thank you again to those of you kind enough to take your time to help me out without attempting to belittle me.

Now to answer some of the overly harsh comments:

Or, perhaps NOT enabling intellectual laziness too far by encouraging the use of the Search features...? or Here's another subject beat death. Please use the search button.I did in fact use the search and found numerous posts but did not find one that seemed to really fit my questions, but thank you for pointing out my “laziness”.

Do not skimp on buying proper parts. If you need to wait then so be it. or If we're gonna add another, it'd better be a damned sight more worthwhile than catering to the coupon-cutters.I realize I may be a “coupon cutter” but maybe you could ask questions first. The reason behind my attempt at building on a budget is to get my teenage son involved with something other than video games or trouble. It would be nice to spend some time doing something we both enjoy while I still have to time to make a difference in his life. While I could wait longer and save up more money and build anything I wanted that would defeat the purpose.

What adults learn best are the things that they find out for themselves, so pointing to the stickies that exist and encouraging folks to use Search will continue to be the order of the day, in spite of the sudden explosion of pleas from members all over the board to have things spoon-fed to them.While I agree with this one to a point, as a martial arts instructor I must disagree with the spoon-fed part. If I did not help those with questions then I would have a load of students that did not know how to do techniques and become frustrated and leave.

In closing I want to again thank those that had the decency to respond with logical non-attacking responses. I think I should be able to make some good fun for my son and I.

JSantoro
02-12-12, 20:07
I did in fact use the search and found numerous posts but did not find one that seemed to really fit my questions, but thank you for pointing out my “laziness”.

Emphasis mine. Gonna become important in a second or so.

No sweat! Even though I was referring to the suggestion of yet another sticky thread and speaking specifically to another individual (hence the reason I quoted him, and not you), and not to anything you posted....but, since you bring it up....

Bear in mind that it's okay to add a new, related question or additive info to an old thread, and, in fact, is a better idea to do that instead of start a new, repetitive thread.

Especially now that you've admitted that you could have done that in the first place, and deliberately chose not to.