PDA

View Full Version : What should I expect to pay for magazines?

digdug18
02-08-12, 03:28
I'm just getting back into shooting, looking for a reliable stainless or aluminum 30 round magazine, no tilt follower, etc. I've found them for $8.99 on a recent sale.

Is $8.99 a good price per magazine for a new, unused magazine, or are they available cheaper?

Andrew

badness
02-08-12, 03:49
i would say so. I usually see them for at least $10 each when buying them in bulk packs of 10.

PlatoCATM
02-08-12, 05:19
The lowest I've seen GI mags, not look alike mags but made by a gov't contracted source, is in the $11-12 range.

digdug18
02-08-12, 05:27
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/cdnn/MidweekSpecial-2-7-12.gif

about halfway down, I would guess they are good quality. $9.99 each or $8.99 each for thirty. I dunno is I really need 30, but I can always sell them for the same price of CL or something I would think.

Blstr88
02-08-12, 08:11
$9-$10 for GI mags seems to be about average. $12-$14 for PMAGs is typically what I've seen and paid.

djmorris
02-08-12, 09:00
I believe BCM sells GI mags w/ magpul followers (a must) for like $10 a piece.

Terlingueno
02-08-12, 09:51
I am paying $12.99 for NHMTG mags with a Magpul follower

crusader377
02-08-12, 09:53
I would get a ten pack pack of these and call it a day.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Magazines-p/magazines%20dh%20bt30mf%2010pack.htm

digdug18
02-08-12, 16:14
I think I'll stick with the cdnn mags, if I buy 100 or more, I can get a better discount and free shipping. Don't know what I'd do with that many mags though. Going halvies with my buddy on a 30 pack.

Devildawg2531
02-09-12, 19:15
I would get a ten pack pack of these and call it a day.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Magazines-p/magazines%20dh%20bt30mf%2010pack.htm

That is a great deal and you caused me to send BCM more $$$. :D

I've been all Pmag's until now but thought a 10 pack of these would be a nice addition.

Thanks for the link (and BCM's order to shipment process is the fastest I've ever see - they shipped the same day I ordered)

Blankwaffe
02-09-12, 19:51
Brownell's has their 20 and 30 round mags on sale for $9.99,so thats what Ive been buying and using recently.They are excellent quality with DFL coating.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=21225/Product/AR-15-M16-20-30-ROUND-MAGAZINES?ICID=8008

Otherwise Ive been using the D&H mags from BCM and DSG Arms with no complaints.

Kokopelli
02-09-12, 20:06
That's a good deal.. The Bravo Company deal looks pretty sweet too.. Ron

benw315
02-09-12, 20:47
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/MA-02DSGB10A.aspx

You can get 10 packs of GI mags with magpul followers for 85 bucks. I've got 20 of them and they seem to work fine.

I guess they're out of stock though.

buckjay
02-09-12, 21:21
PMAGs at botach for $12 each, free shipping (with coupon code).

If you're going to upgrade the followers on those gi mags eventually then you're gonna be getting pretty close to (or even surpassing) PMAG pricing.

mallowpufft
02-09-12, 21:35
My LGS has Pmags for $16 each and GI mags for $8.
Depending on how impatient I'm feeling I pick them up there if that's all I'm after. Like a lot of folks I just add one to pretty much any order I place online from somewhere that stocks them.
I was searching Brownell's for an AR mag holder for my belt and they've got a deal going for a blade tech mag holder with two Brownell's GI style mags with green followers for $25.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=23144/Product/AR-15-MAGAZINE-POUCH-KIT

PlatoCATM
02-09-12, 22:28
My LGS still has GI mags for $20! But they have amazing ammo prices usually so I can't keep myself from going there.

Thanks for the brownells link. I've never tried the brownells mags due to the spring, but this is a pretty good deal, if for no other reason than the included teklok.

It is important to note, however, that not all of what people call "GI" mags are actually GI mags, that is, made by a contracted source. If that were the case, CProducts would be known for high-quality magazines which everyone now knows to be false. Find the above deal on NHMTG mags and buy those.

Devildawg2531
02-10-12, 07:54
PMAGs at botach for $12 each, free shipping (with coupon code).

If you're going to upgrade the followers on those gi mags eventually then you're gonna be getting pretty close to (or even surpassing) PMAG pricing.

Buckjay - Why would I need to upgrade the followers on the BCM mags? It has the gen 3 MagPul followers.

With Magpul ENHANCED Followers - GEN 3!

These BLACK Teflon No-Ban (30 round) magazines are considered some of the BEST AR15, M4, M16 magazines made. The quality and reliability of D&H Industries (formerly known as LaBelle) mags is always excellent. These mags are manufactured on the original LaBelle tooling. Current production. Teflon finish is on the interior and exterior of magazine.

They have the Magpul Enhanced Followers. The new Teflon Mags do not come in a plastic wrap. These GI mags stamped with the date of manufacturer on left side of magazine body and the contractors government CAGE code (04TQ4 - D&H Industries) on right side of magazine body. These are NOT LE marked on the magazine body and do NOT have the LE restricted floorplates. D&H Industries stamps the floorplates with Bravo Co text

duece71
02-10-12, 11:11
I have always seen ok deals over at 44mag.com, if not there then BCM or DSG. Natchez SS might be worth a look as well. Sometimes CDNN has a good deal.

lifebreath
02-10-12, 11:24
Tons of NHMTG and all good. Heard lots of good about D&H. I'd stick with one of those two with MAGPUL followers.

Stickman
02-10-12, 12:59
I would guess they are good quality. $9.99 each or $8.99 each for thirty.

Why would you guess they are good quality? You are picking out the cheapest thing you can find and hoping for validation.

I would rather pay a few bucks a piece more for good mags, than to wade through a bucket of magazines I saved $2 or 3 a piece on to find one that works.

Failure2Stop
02-10-12, 13:11
I am happy to spend ~$10 for GI Mags (or a little more if they already have upgraded followers).

Redhat
02-10-12, 13:13
I am happy to spend ~$10 for GI Mags (or a little more if they already have upgraded followers).

Which "upgraded follower" are you referring to? I'm not up on the latest.

Thanks

lifebreath
02-10-12, 13:28

Thanks

Magpul anti-tilt followers instead of the green ones.

Failure2Stop
02-10-12, 14:04

The only one I use are the MagPul versions.
I've been using them in my GI mags for a long time, and they have worked well for me.
I'm not sold on the new GI brown followers yet.

Redhat
02-10-12, 14:13
The only one I use are the MagPul versions.
I've been using them in my GI mags for a long time, and they have worked well for me.

I see,

Thanks

lifebreath
02-10-12, 14:22

Don't the new GI ones place the first round on the opposite side of the old? That would be confusing if you have a mix of mags and rely on the visual for 28/30 rounds.

IZinterrogator
02-10-12, 16:11
Yes, the new GI followers put the round on the opposite side. Due to this, I'm carrying my own magazines with Magpul followers at work. Don't want to have to retrain after 15 years of "top bullet on the right".

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Failure2Stop
02-10-12, 16:38
Don't the new GI ones place the first round on the opposite side of the old? That would be confusing if you have a mix of mags and rely on the visual for 28/30 rounds.

Yup, it shifts the stack. I really don't know why they chose to do it that way. Really, it's just a training issue.

I'm just not sold that they offer anything over the MagPul followers. They are a new item where my MagPuls are proven.
I will take the item that is proven over something that is new.
I have a few new brown follower mags that I throw into the rotation for evaluation.