PDA

View Full Version : My first AR-15 Build

delam83
02-08-12, 07:25
Hello all my name is Dwaun and I am new to the forum. I know you guys have probably fielded this question a million times. So here goes one more. I have been researching AR's for the last two weeks at the behest of my wife. I am stuck between two brands BCM, and Spikes Tactical. I have settled on a Mid-length system after almost going piston. From what I have read the mid length system has some advantages over the M4 carbine system. I will be using this rifle primarily for Defense and some weekend warrior stuff. Hopefully I can make it to one of Chris Costa's AR Classes. So with that said, which one should I pick I have narrowed it down to these two models.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-14-5-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Troy-TRX-p/bcm-urg-mid-14%20trx11std.htm

and

http://www.elementarms.com/Spike-s-Tactical-16-Midlength-LE-Upper-w-9-BAR-Rail-5.56.html

I already purchased a lower it is from Plum Crazy. I started off with a budget but I have decided to break it. I mean some things you skimp on but I don't think a defensive weapon is one of them. I plan on upgrading the internals of the lower once I have access to more funds. So any feedback would be helpful. Thanks guys.

Dwaun

munch520
02-08-12, 07:55
I know you guys have probably fielded this question a million times. So here goes one more.

:laugh: Before you get verbally beaten via keyboard, I'd search on the brands you are looking for info on. There's a plethora of information out here on the basics of a properly setup carbine.

Or I'll save you the time and just tell you to go with BCM. And loose the PC lower.

5pins
02-08-12, 07:56
Your right some things you don’t skimp on. Having said that get rid of the Plum Crazy lower and get one made out of aluminum. There are a lot of issues with the PC lowers, do a search and you will see.

I would go for the bravo upper myself but not that one. Unless you need that much rail space then I would consider one with a Troy extreme rail or standard hand guards. If you get a 14.5in make sure to get it with the muzzle device pined otherwise it will be in violation of fed laws.

Watrdawg
02-08-12, 08:06
I have that exact same BCM upper and really like it. You will not be dissappointed with it at all. Definitely get rid of the lower. I went with a LMT lower and got it at a great price. Check out G&R Tactical and let Grant put together a lower for you.

When I came to the site I did a lot of research here and the resources here are amazing. The search button can be a pain at times but if you at least read the "stickies" you can find most of the answers to the questions you will have.

Toyoland66
02-08-12, 08:49
I already purchased a lower it is from Plum Crazy. I started off with a budget but I have decided to break it. I mean some things you skimp on but I don't think a defensive weapon is one of them. I plan on upgrading the internals of the lower once I have access to more funds. So any feedback would be helpful. Thanks guys.

I understand working with a budget, but saving money by buying a plum crazy lower so you can spend more on a upper with rails is not the way to do it. PC lowers are fit for nothing more serious than a dedicated .22 range gun.

The standard advice for somebody in your shoes is to go to g&r tactical, buy a colt 6720 or 6920 (about $980), leave it stock and shoot the thing. Once you figure out what you like and don't like about the gun you can start changing out components to suite.

Another option would be a blem BCM lower, which is about $290 with standard A2 grip and M4 stock, and slap a standard BCM upper on it with MOE handguards ($614 with bcg and gfch). Most would also recommend sticking with a 16" barrel for a first gun.

Either way, skip the rails, put the money where it counts.

djmorris
02-08-12, 08:58
Don't skimp on the lower to buy accessories and deck out your AR. You're just polishing a turd in that case. The plum crazy is a huge piece of shit lower, no offense. As mentioned, it's really only suitable for .22lr range use.

If you're that strapped for cash then I would recommend possibly getting a Palmetto State Armory lower ($50-$75) and a quality LPK from Grant ($100 or so) and that's not much more than what the Plum Shitty costs. Put a quality upper on it and you're good to go. Of course, if you have the money get a quality assembled BCM lower, etc.

Iraqgunz
02-08-12, 09:22
Is this some type of joke? WTF?

5pins
02-08-12, 09:24
Grant has Charles Daly lowers for $50.

loganp0916
02-08-12, 09:40
Is this some type of joke? WTF?

Lmao. That's what I thought when I first read it. Still waiting for the punch line!.......

Iraqgunz
02-08-12, 11:09
I'll keep this short and sweet..

If you are on a budget and looking for an AR, then stop. Buy a shotgun or a Glock pistol, get some ammo and mags and practice.

AR's are not cheap and cheap AR's are nothing more than shit that will cost you more money down the road.

Save your money and get quality- Plum Crazy doesn't fall into the category.

Self Defense is first and foremost and that should be your focus. All that other jazz is part of the package.

Travis B
02-08-12, 16:55
How is this thread still unlocked? Plum Crazy? He's asking for advice on BCM vs Spikes?

Mods, please end this already!

delam83
02-08-12, 17:30
I'll keep this short and sweet..

If you are on a budget and looking for an AR, then stop. Buy a shotgun or a Glock pistol, get some ammo and mags and practice.

AR's are not cheap and cheap AR's are nothing more than shit that will cost you more money down the road.

Save your money and get quality- Plum Crazy doesn't fall into the category.

Self Defense is first and foremost and that should be your focus. All that other jazz is part of the package.

I already have a shotgun and I have become a really good shot in a short amount of time. I fired my friends AR and suffice to say I have been bitten by the AR bug. I was going to go budget that is why I picked the plum crazy lower. My original plans were to just grab a DPMS sportical upper to go with the lower. But the more I read and researched I couldn't bring myself to purchse the DPMS. I can change out the plastic internals of the plum crazy in fact when I decide on the upper I will probably purchase a LPK from spikes or CMMG as I already ordered a magpul stock so the Budget has effectively gone out the window. The spikes comes with a new buffer which has me leaning that way.

The only reason I don't purchase a new lower is because I don't see the need(and my ego won't let me), if I change out the internals then it should function just fine. If I see a need in the future to purchase a lower that is metal then I will do so. I've seen a 50 BMG on a plum crazy don't know if the video was doctored. So it should hold up as long as the internals are changed. So now that we have gotten that out of the way. Which one would you choose?

Travis B
02-08-12, 17:33
I thought plum crazy lowers took proprietary internals?

delam83
02-08-12, 17:40
How is this thread still unlocked? Plum Crazy? He's asking for advice on BCM vs Spikes?

Mods, please end this already!

What has you so high strung? I mean I heard stories about AR guys that take everything so personally. I am just looking for advice from people who have a little more knowledge then I do currently. I realize Plum Crazy doesn't have the greatest name, but when I started out my build I was just going to do a basic AR one just to learn the platform. After purchasing the lower and doing further research I decided to go all out. Having already purchased the lower I decided to change out the internals upgrade as much as I can and if the need arises in the future upgrade the lower as well. So if you would like to weigh in with your opinion then please do so BCM or Spikes. But if you must be negative then please take it somewhere else.

Thanks
Dwaun

loganp0916
02-08-12, 17:43
The internals aren't the only problem. The plastic lower shrinks and mags get stuck in it for one.

delam83
02-08-12, 18:15
Grant has Charles Daly lowers for $50.

There sold out I will keep an eye out for them thanks for the heads up.

delam83
02-08-12, 18:18
The internals aren't the only problem. The plastic lower shrinks and mags get stuck in it for one.

Has there been an average number of rounds reported before this occurs?

loganp0916
02-08-12, 18:28

Honestly, I have no clue. I've juts heard of it happening A LOT and I never really cared enough to look it up or ask people or whatever. So I'll let someone else answer that.

Travis B
02-08-12, 18:47
My advice is to use the orange search button. Everything has been covered that you're asking. Nothing personal.

What has you so high strung? I mean I heard stories about AR guys that take everything so personally. I am just looking for advice from people who have a little more knowledge then I do currently. I realize Plum Crazy doesn't have the greatest name, but when I started out my build I was just going to do a basic AR one just to learn the platform. After purchasing the lower and doing further research I decided to go all out. Having already purchased the lower I decided to change out the internals upgrade as much as I can and if the need arises in the future upgrade the lower as well. So if you would like to weigh in with your opinion then please do so BCM or Spikes. But if you must be negative then please take it somewhere else.

Thanks
Dwaun

Bluedreaux
02-08-12, 18:49

Does it matter?

Travis B
02-08-12, 18:59
Does it matter?

Apparently it does.

cop1211
02-08-12, 19:06
Instead of ripping a new member apart how about trying to help.

A. Sell the Plum lower.
B. Save up your money and buy a complete Colt 6920, they can be had for $1,000 dollars and it is a simple, solid, no brainer for a new ar shooter.
C. Dont worry about any bells or whistles at this time.
D. Buy 2,000 rounds, find a competent ar shooter who can help you zero the rifle. Shoot said rounds with iron sights only.
E. Continue to read all of the stickies here as well as posts. There are alot of knowledgeable members here, as well as information, and if you read alot, use the search button, and post a little, you can gain alot of knowledge and insight.

seb5
02-08-12, 19:07
You're right that you don't skimp on defensive weapons. PC lowers aren't even in the it's the only thing I had category. They are not suitable for anything where there are any stakes involved. You may have been reading but if you spent any time on this site you would learn quickly that Spikes is not the equal of BCM. You didn't get that here. Spikes may be better than Olympic, I don't know as I don't own either.

You may want to consider that ego, it has no place on a weapon that you may use someday to defend your family. Write it off and do with a known performer. There is no reason to re-invent the wheel when it comes to AR's. They are like a Chevy 350 in that all of the research has been done. You want 300 HP, 400 HP, whatever, the knowledge is there. Same with AR's. As long as you go with Colt, BCM, LMT, Noveske, or DD you will get a quality carbine.

Casull
02-08-12, 19:30
I use factory colts most often and have for years. I can say quality makes a difference. One day I went to a gun shop and picked up a Bushmaster for the first time, I was confused because it didn't feel solid. I didn't know there were lower end AR-15's, I thought they were ALL good. (Funny right?)

I am very, very knowledgeable now, however.

That said, I have gotten a hold of a Spike's LE Midlength upper with the buffer it comes with and all that yadda yadda... and...

I don't have anything bad to say about it. It's actually been really good so far.

I see a lot of posts with no foundation for their understanding of current or even the apparent old Spike's quality. Most of the time it's sort of just a prejudice. "Ugly spider" or "It's cheaper than this so it's worse"

Without a doubt there must be a reason, though, and so I do await the day I find out what they're talking about.

I personally suggest going ahead on the BCM since they are proven daily in carbine classes across the board. I would surely feel comfortable anywhere with a BCM.

--- Also, plum lower is not a good idea. I suppose you can just start off with it and then sell it after you have the cash for something better.
I'd go for a Tactical Machining, or, yes, even a Spike's, if I were trying to keep price down while having some quality. You could always just get a BCM lower and have a 100% BCM.

bchand01
02-08-12, 19:31
BCM for sure. No bash here. If you like the look of a quad rail, go for it. It is your gun. If it breaks, so be it. You tried and learned and move forward. Is it going to shoot. Probably. Is it the best thing out there? No probably not but you are happy. Screw the computer commandos and do what makes you happy. No everyone is made of money. Enjoy your new toy.

5pins
02-08-12, 19:49
Three reasons to dump the PC lower.
http://i55.tinypic.com/16956xj.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/2u89fh2.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/14nir2x.jpg

delam83
02-08-12, 22:55
Instead of ripping a new member apart how about trying to help.

A. Sell the Plum lower.
B. Save up your money and buy a complete Colt 6920, they can be had for $1,000 dollars and it is a simple, solid, no brainer for a new ar shooter.
C. Dont worry about any bells or whistles at this time.
D. Buy 2,000 rounds, find a competent ar shooter who can help you zero the rifle. Shoot said rounds with iron sights only.
E. Continue to read all of the stickies here as well as posts. There are alot of knowledgeable members here, as well as information, and if you read alot, use the search button, and post a little, you can gain alot of knowledge and insight.

Thanks for your advice. This is what I was looking for, you have been a great help.

J_Dub_503
02-09-12, 19:08
I am stuck between two brands BCM, and Spikes Tactical. Most definitely go with Spikes, more specifically This . (http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/st22-green-mountain-22lr-m4-upper-wfsp-p-789.html)

I will be using this rifle primarily for Defense and some weekend warrior stuff. You'll be a full on tactical God with the suggested upper!

I already purchased a lower it is from Plum Crazy. Hell Yeah! :neo:

delam83
02-09-12, 21:45
Most definitely go with Spikes, more specifically This . (http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/st22-green-mountain-22lr-m4-upper-wfsp-p-789.html)

You'll be a full on tactical God with the suggested upper!

Hell Yeah! :neo:

LOL:laugh: Good One