PDA

View Full Version : Para-Military2 vs. CQC-7

G22inSC
02-08-12, 08:01
I am looking into replacing a Benchmade Auto 9500 that is my current EDC (weak side) both on and off duty. I am looking at both the Spyderco PM2 and the Emerson CQC-7. What do you'll think about these two choices? Is one more durable or better in some way than the other? Which way should I lean?

mercop
02-08-12, 08:15
If it is for cutting things you cannot go wrong with either. If it is for cutting people I would go with the Spydie. If it is for the later you could look into the Endura and a trainer. Happy Shopping- George

Dos Cylindros
02-08-12, 13:23
I have carried an Emerson CQC-7A on and off duty for the last 13 years. It is a very durable knife, and a great blade. The Spyderco's are also excellent knives for the money, I just think the Emerson is a better blade. That being said, I recently purchased two Strider folders, an SnG for off duty and an SMF for on duty. They are very pricy, but are some of the most tank like knives ever build.

mercop
02-08-12, 13:27
Carried and SMF on duty for a while, it was literally a pain in the ass. Great knife though. My current EDC folder is a Chris Reeve Large Sebenza. IMHO it is the Cadillac of folders, sold, light, and sharp.- George

skullworks
02-08-12, 13:56
I've carried Emersons daily for the past several year (most of that has been a CQC-7 or an A-100), but I've been on the lookout for a deal on a Sebenza. Still, Emersons are my goto knives. I just think Spydercos have a cheap feel to them, regardless of how good they may be.

newyork
02-08-12, 14:04
Totally disagree. The para 2 is a nasty slicer, light, solid, good steel, easy to sharpen, thin profile, ergonomic and has a great lock.

maximus83
02-08-12, 14:55
Haven't owned an Emerson. But I just got a Para Millie 2 for Christmas and have been quite impressed with the strength of the locking system, the handle shape, the grippiness of the scales, and the insanely sharp full-flat ground blade.

It would be hard to beat the PM2 as an EDC.

tailrotor
02-08-12, 15:46
Like mercop, I don't think you can go wrong with either knife. I carry a mini cqc-7 and, for me, it's a great utility knife but there are a couple of potential (to some) issues you should be aware of. The blade profile and edge are chisel grinds...some people don't like them but I haven't had any problem cutting things. Also, if you're right handed and want to carry weak-side, the Emerson is only set up for tip-up, right-side carry. You can send it to Emerson and they'll drill and tap it for left-hand, tip-up carry.

Jim

G22inSC
02-08-12, 16:49
My current EDC is a Benchmade Auto 9500 weak side and Emerson Mini A-100 strong side. I love the general shape and size of the Emerson Mini A-100; however, I don't think it would work for me as a weak side backup. I am not ambidextrous by any means and would have a very hard time opening the Mini A-100 left handed, under stress and/or an active assault. I believe from looking at the pictures that the CQC-7 has a little more purchase to open with; however, I think the Spyderco Para-Military2 would be much easier to open left handed (weak side). As mentioned earlier, the PM2 would also be able to be carried tip up, weak side which is my preferred carry method. I really want to try the Spyderco but I'm just not sure how durable it would be since I don't have any prior experience. Maybe I should just take the plunge and gain some experience.

sierra 223
02-08-12, 17:10
Both are good knives but I do prefer the Spyderco. Emerson might be more heavy duty, I like the way Spyderco's slice and just overall prefer them.

G22inSC
02-08-12, 17:21
Which one do you'll think is easier opening one handed? More importantly non-dominant one handed opening.

tailrotor
02-08-12, 17:55
Which one do you'll think is easier opening one handed? More importantly non-dominant one handed opening.

The cqc-7 has a relief cut on the left-hand scale so you can get your thumb between the scale and thumb-disk...the opposite scale doesn't, making it harder to open left-handed. I've got a Spyderco Rookie and it's easy to open with either hand. I think the pm2 has a larger thumb-hole to accommodate a gloved hand.

Jim

Hammer27
02-08-12, 17:58
I've handled, and gifted, both of these knives. I feel the CQC-7 is more robust, has a stronger blade design, and will be faster to open considering the wave (all debates aside) and the raised thumb disk is often easier to index than a hole.
I also believe that the Para is a better slicer and has superior ergonomics for some people.

If you want a good tool, that has defensive and robust features get the CQC-7
If you want a good knife, for cutting often and cleanly, get the Para.

BOTH can do what the other does, just a little better in some fields.

buzby
02-08-12, 20:08
i've been using a PM2 for several months now, and am quite impressed. it has replaced my lefty strider sng (which i still love) for edc. it just cuts better.

the spyderco can be kept like a razor with little effort.
i can open and close it very easily with either hand.

espnazi
02-09-12, 01:09
The spyderco has better Fit&Finish, better steel, and IMO better ergos. The spyderco is also cheaper.

If you want the blade for EDC and slicing capabilities get the PM2, if your looking for something tough(thicker blade) get the emerson, although the lock on the PM2 is arguably stronger.

I currently own a CQC-10, and the only reason I own it is the wave feature. I have sold all of them except for this one as i got at a good price($75), but at the going rates if you want and wanted a blade which was bomb proof I would definitely get a ZT.

Moral of the story get a PM2, or a ZT 0350/0200.

maximus83
02-09-12, 11:27
although the lock on the PM2 is arguably stronger.

Agree with this. While I've not owned the Emerson, if you google around a bit, you can find some information about lock failures. Have NOT come across that issue with the Spyderco compression lock used in the PM2, or at least it's extremely rare. To me, details like blade thickness are sort of irrelevant in a folder, because the weak link is nearly ALWAYS the locking system.

joe138
02-09-12, 11:39
I have both. I like the blade profile of the Para better than the CQC7. I also like the grind on the Para much better than the chisel grind on the Emerson. If I only had one I would get the Para. But I am a fan of the Emersons and the CQC7 is a stout knife as all the Emersons are in my experience.

KintlaLake
02-09-12, 17:06
...get a PM2, or a ZT 0350...

+1 to that. At $100 a copy, the ParaMilitary2 and ZT0350 are two of the best values in folderdom. :cool:

dirt_diver
02-09-12, 17:42
Totally disagree. The para 2 is a nasty slicer, light, solid, good steel, easy to sharpen, thin profile, ergonomic and has a great lock.

I couldn't agree more. My PM2 has been outstanding for me. The blade is a little on the thin side for my tastes, but other than that, its been a heck of an add to my collection. From the grip, to the lock, to ease of sharpening, I'd strongly recommend it.
As far as an Emerson, my only experience is with my Commander. I reeeeaallly want to love this knife, as it has a lot of things I like, such as good steel, tacky grip, good lock up. The only downside for me has been sharpening it. This may be due to the belly (right?) as well as the chisel grind, neither of which seem to work well with my spydy sharpmaker, which dominates pretty much everything else I use it on.

maximus83
02-09-12, 19:29
A couple of points to make on the issue about the thickness of the PM2 blade, as a couple have referenced that it seems thin.

First, I think the PM2 blade is actually thicker than most popular tactical folder blades. It's one reason I chose it. Acording to the Spyderco PM2 specs (http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=625), the PM2 blade is 0.141" thick. Fact is, a FEW hard-use folders will have thicker blades (for instance, the Spydie Military is 0.156"), the new BM Adamas is nearly 0.160" thick, for example. And there are other hard-use folders out there in this range. But these are a small number, and really most leading tactical folders out there, including most Spyderco's and Benchmade models, are in the 0.115" to 0.125" thickness range. I researched this quite carefully, and though the PM2 is definitely not the thickest tactical folder blade out there, it's definitely in the upper range of tactical folders in terms of blade thickness, there's not a large number of production folders that are thicker, and most, I'd estimate 80% to 90% I've seen, are thinner.

Second, as I mentioned above, with folders the weak link is rarely blade thickness, it's the lock. Your knife is FAR more likely to experience a lock failure before it has a blade breakage, for the kind of tasks you typically can or should be doing with a folder. So, I'd worry more about the locking system than blade thickness, in this case. And the newer compression lock on the PM2 I suspect is stronger than that of the Emerson.

Third, ironically, the Emerson CQC7 folder that the OP is looking at, actually according to specs has a THINNER blade than the PM2. The Emerson CQC7 acc. to their own site (http://www.emersonknives.com/ekCQC7b_BT.php), has a blade thickness of 0.125". So the PM2 blade is actually thicker than the CQC7 by 0.016".

I still feel that the PM2 overall is the better choice and pretty hard to beat in its price range.