PDA

View Full Version : Subsonic 308 in a suppressed semi-auto

rjacobs
02-08-12, 11:25
I did a search and couldnt find anything on here about this.

I am getting ready to send the paperwork off for an AAC 762SDN-6 and am contemplating 308 host weapons. Already have a 5.56 and 300blk host weapon.

I am going back and forth between a bolt gun(700 AAC-SD in a chassis of some kind) and just spending the ~$500 more to get an LMT MWS.

My question is this. Has anybody gotten subsonic 308 to actually cycle a suppressed MWS or other 308 semi?

The only stuff I am reading online says it will probably NOT cycle a non-suppressed 308 semi auto.

While I would shoot super's through this gun, the only time it would get subsonics would be with a can on it, which I THINK would provide enough extra back pressure to cycle the weapon.

QuietShootr
02-08-12, 11:48
I did a search and couldnt find anything on here about this.

I am getting ready to send the paperwork off for an AAC 762SDN-6 and am contemplating 308 host weapons. Already have a 5.56 and 300blk host weapon.

I am going back and forth between a bolt gun(700 AAC-SD in a chassis of some kind) and just spending the ~$500 more to get an LMT MWS.

My question is this. Has anybody gotten subsonic 308 to actually cycle a suppressed MWS or other 308 semi?

The only stuff I am reading online says it will probably NOT cycle a non-suppressed 308 semi auto.

While I would shoot super's through this gun, the only time it would get subsonics would be with a can on it, which I THINK would provide enough extra back pressure to cycle the weapon.

No way in hell without WAY opening up the gas port. I tried it with my MWS, reasoning that because I could see the carrier moving back about an inch that it was CLOSE to cycling. I replaced the buffer with a CAR buffer and a reduced power recoil spring, and no joy. The best I could get it to do was to short stroke enough to cause a bolt-over-base malfunction, and that was with a 220gr projectile and a large load of TB.

rjacobs
02-08-12, 11:58
No way in hell without WAY opening up the gas port. I tried it with my MWS, reasoning that because I could see the carrier moving back about an inch that it was CLOSE to cycling. I replaced the buffer with a CAR buffer and a reduced power recoil spring, and no joy. The best I could get it to do was to short stroke enough to cause a bolt-over-base malfunction, and that was with a 220gr projectile and a large load of TB.

Exactly the info I wanted. Thanks.

I guess bolt gun in a chassis is the way to go.

Dredge
08-12-12, 23:03
It actually is possible for sub 308 to cycle in an AR platform (depending on the gun and possible mods) but, in the end, you might as well stick with the 300BLK or get a pistol caliber.