PDA

View Full Version : Can't make up my mind on what add-on to do next! Rail, optics, ammo?!

Roadblock
02-08-12, 11:34
So, I’ve had maybe half a dozen AR's over the past 15 or so years but unfortunately I had to sell off part of my gun collection to pay some bills due to finical issues. Luckily I've had a turnaround in employment and money issues to some extent. I’m still broke as hell but by socking away $20 here, $50 there I’ve gotten enough cash together to fund a couple new projects.

One of the projects, building a new AR. I didn’t want to go too cheap but I didn’t want to pay retail shelf price for something like a Daniel Defense, LMT etc so that is where the decision to build came in. Not my first rodeo either. I’ve built 3 of my past AR’s so I’m good to go as far as that is concerned.

I knew I wanted a DI AR and not a gas piston. Mostly due to cost but I also plan on having this rifle around longer this time and I wanted to keep it as close to a Mil-Spec standard as possible. I’ve decided I want for the most part, a Daniel Defense rifle. Again, one of the big things that factored into building Vs. buying complete was price but I also wanted to use some Flat Dark Earth parts but I know DD does NOT offer anything other than black. Unfortunately, they got smart to people buying their lowers and assembling full DD guns so they stopped selling JUST lowers! I had to go with another lower, I chose Smith and Wesson.

As far as building the Smith and Wesson lower, I went with the Daniel Defense LPK. Finished off the lower with a Magpul CTR stock kit and also bought a Magpul MOE rifle grip. Picked up the CTR in FDE, used with the .70 enhanced butt paid for $40 dollars! Hell, the butt paid costs like $15~20 on its own. Killer deal right there!

On the upper I went with the Daniel Defense upper receiver, added the 16 inch M4 style CM button cut barrel and the standard FA style BCG. Nothing special, no chrome lining on the barrel, no cold hammer forged. I just went with a basic 16 inch carbine upper to get me going. The barrel already included the A2 FSB etc. I finished off the upper with your basic A2 flash hider, Magpul MOE Carbine hand guards and the Daniel Defense A1.5 rear sight.

Sure you see the pattern. I basically have a full Daniel Defense rifle other than the lower is Smith and Wesson. It’s an all-around quality little shooter.

Anyhoo, I get mileage for work and I haven’t turned that in for a few months. Normally it’s not very much so why bother until it piles up. I just realized I have around $400+ dollars in mileage reimbursements coming. I turned in sheets last week and I should see that in my next week’s play checks. I’ve decided to use that money to do a couple add-on’s to my AR.

Right now I’m thinking a NICE rail. I’d like the Daniel Defense M4-A1 RIS II like the Mod Block guns are using but by the time I factor in the low profile gas block and a front sight, I’m over budget. My second choice for a rail is the M4-A1 FSB RIS II which allows you to keep your A2 FSB. Nothing extra to buy, just install it and go! I think the FSB RIS II would be a good compromise.

So here are my current options and thoughts.

1. Daniel Defense M4-A1 FSB RIS II in dark earth and that would be my only upgrade for now.

2. Troy Alpha Charlie Rail, which is basically the same rail but Troy’s version and almost $150.00 dollars less. This would free up a little money for me to also get a Primary Arms Micro Red-dot and Daniel Defense Aimpoint Micro Riser.

3. Skip the rails all together and get the Primary Arms Red-dot and riser mentioned above, buy ammo or buy a .22LR conversion and shoot more!

I feel like if I don’t get the DD rail now, I never will. I also feel like if I get the Troy rail I’ll wish I’d kept the rifle all DD parts. My buddy is of the opinion it really doesn’t matter because the rifle not truly a DD rifle anyway being that is has a Smith and Wesson lower.

I think I know what I want to do, but I can’t make up my mind lol! :p

devinsdad
02-08-12, 12:15
Most rails serve no purpose other than to provide a place to put covers. The amount of rail space vs. the amount actually used is silly. You'd be better served with the Troy unit and install small sections of rail where needed to mount accessories.
It actually sounds like you need sock these funds away in case of an emergancy and start another little fund to spend on weapons and accessories. You can't eat or fill your tank up on a DD or Troy anything. And, if forced to sell, you'd get far less than you originally paid. Unless you earn your living carring a weapon (in which case they would be tax deductable) spend expendable money on your hobby. Good for you for using your head.

MistWolf
02-08-12, 12:21
If you cannot decide what to get next, you haven't shot the rifle enough

ScottD
02-08-12, 12:41
Anyhoo, I get mileage for work

That's where my gun slush fund comes from, too. :laugh:

If it were me, I'd get ammo or an aimpoint. If you want rails, you can pick up a RAS II for $100 and still have plenty left for ammo.

Or, you can do what everyone is supposed to do with mileage money, i.e., save it for boring stuff like tires. That's no fun though!

ASH556
02-08-12, 12:45
No offense, but if the barrel isn't DD, I wouldn't call it a DD rifle. To me, their CHF barrels are part of what sets them apart (in addition to the fact that they most closely adhere to mil-spec (along with Colt, BCM).

As far as what to add: if the rifle shoots fine, spend that $400 on an Aimpoint C3, M2, or PRO. The dot adds function. The rail offers a low cost/value benefit.

Look, this one even comes with an FDE cover to match the rest of your gun, $399: http://www.samplelist.com/Aimpoint-CompML2-w-QRP-DEMO-A-P3170.aspx

Better yet, here's an M2 with a Wilcox mount...top quality, $399: http://www.samplelist.com/Aimpoint-CompM2-Red-Dot-Sight-DEMO-B-P4161.aspx

Inuvik
02-08-12, 12:47
I am a little bit confused by the fact that you seem to have researched and agonized over certain parts, but then went with a low end barrel? The barrel is kind of the heart and soul of a firearm, and creating an "Almost DD" without a DD barrel seems odd. Perhaps it is just me though.

Your choice of optic will not get a lot of possitive feedback.

d90king
02-08-12, 12:58
I would suggest ammo and training.

After that you will know exactly what you need, and more importantly what you dont...

Iraqgunz
02-08-12, 12:58
How about shooting what you have and instead of buying filler crap save your money for quality optics, etc...

MidwestRookie
02-08-12, 13:19
I'd say an aimpoint would get you the most out of that 400..that FDE one posted seems about perfect if you're going for that look on the furniture.

Roadblock
02-08-12, 13:45
Um, it is a Daniel Defense barrel. Everything is DD but the lower receiver itself. Well, the stock, hand guards etc but all the main core key components are DD. Upper receiver, barrel, bolt and carrier group, lower parts kit, rear sight etc.

Daniel Defense 16 inch M4 - Button Cut Rifling Barrel

Daniel Defense 16" CMV barrel, 5.56 caliber, 1/7 twist, MP tested, Carbine length gas system, phosphate finish. M4 ramped barrel extension, F marked sight tower. These barrels are not cold hammer forged.

It may actually be chrome-lined. My friend seems to think it is, I don't remember anyone saying it was when I ordered it.

Anyway, I have a legit reason for wanting a rail. Here, let me dig up some pictures of my last two AR's and I'll show you guys what I'm used to shooting.

a0cake
02-08-12, 14:09
It's chrome lined. The reason people assumed it was a no name barrel is because you said it wasn't chrome lined...which if it's a DD...it is.

Um, it is a Daniel Defense barrel. Everything is DD but the lower receiver itself. Well, the stock, hand guards etc but all the main core key components are DD. Upper receiver, barrel, bolt and carrier group, lower parts kit, rear sight etc.

Daniel Defense 16 inch M4 - Button Cut Rifling Barrel

Daniel Defense 16" CMV barrel, 5.56 caliber, 1/7 twist, MP tested, Carbine length gas system, phosphate finish. M4 ramped barrel extension, F marked sight tower. These barrels are not cold hammer forged.

It may actually be chrome-lined. My friend seems to think it is, I don't remember anyone saying it was when I ordered it.

Anyway, I have a legit reason for wanting a rail. Here, let me dig up some pictures of my last two AR's and I'll show you guys what I'm used to shooting.

strambo
02-08-12, 14:37
I'd get an Aimpoint PRO, it will add by far the most function to the rifle. Rails are "nice to have", for me, a RDS is almost a "must have" (along with a light and sling) due to how much it improves the ability to get fast hits in any light, any body position.

Jellybean
02-08-12, 15:06
I get what you're going through- I am in the same situation (broke) so every time I get a couple hundred bucks I too run around like a maniac trying to decide what I need to get that I just can't live without....
I'm going to go a little backwards from what has been said so far, based on what I would do in my current money-limited situation.

#1- Get more ammo. A person once said you can never have enough, and boy was he right! It really sucks only having a few hundred rounds you have to ration out for an entire year....:mad: While you're at it get some more mags.
You don't really need a rail, and you're rifle has irons for a reason (or it should, imho)- use em!
Now if you already have a pile of mags/ammo, or you're vision is in some way impaired than.....

#2- Get a red dot- Specifically get a high quality red dot like an Aimpoint or Eotech XPS/Exps. Obviously that'll wipe you out, but it's worth it. Trust me- I bought a cheap-ass red dot once and it sucked bad. And frankly, despite my previous statement, shooting with only irons does get annoyingly tedious after a while....
Actually if you look around on the EE here, you can probably get an RDS in great condition for a good cut less than new pricewise, so if you get lucky you may have some money left over for more ammo afterwards.

As far as the rail goes, I've come to the conclusion that as a mere mortal average Joe, I don't really need one. Granted, my current rifle does have one and I do like it, but I didn't pay any more than it would have cost me to get the rifle without it (ie, it came from the factory with the rifle- not an add-on). If I had built a rifle like you, I'd get something like an MOE handguard, and add pieces of rail as needed for whatever accessories I'd want.

Damn, I'm getting good at regurgitating info....:sarcastic:

40Arpent
02-08-12, 15:07
I've had a turnaround in...money issues to some extent.

You probably won't like what I have to say, but I'd take all of that money you're socking away and change "some extent" to "no issues whatsoever."

RGoose
02-08-12, 15:07
If you cannot decide what to get next, you haven't shot the rifle enough

How about shooting what you have and instead of buying filler crap save your money for quality optics, etc...

'Nuff said.

Roadblock
02-08-12, 15:15
It's chrome lined. The reason people assumed it was a no name barrel is because you said it wasn't chrome lined...which if it's a DD...it is.

Yeah I wasn't sure on the barrel, I actually bought it because it was the cheapest carbine length M4 cut DD barrel I could find. I think from what I was told it's been discontinued now maybe? All there barrels are CHF now?

You probably won't like what I have to say, but I'd take all of that money you're socking away and change "some extent" to "no issues whatsoever."

Yeah, so I work in the technologies department for a public school system. My job might have a little more security then some of the teachers but not by much! Thank god I'm a district employ, not just a single school. If a few schools close, it generally wouldn't hurt my job. We lose our jobs, servers stop working! ;)

That said, I'll never be rich, I'll never have 100% financial security unless I win the lotto! :)

Anyway my reason for wanting an extended rail system is legitimate for my shooting needs. Pictured below is my previous AR. Was an Rock River Arms with a KAC rail. After putting a couple thousand rounds threw that rifle I discovered I shot better by moving my rail covers out to the front and holding on to it just in front of the front sight base. Basically the end of my thumb was almost to the front of that rail pointed forward. Make sense what I'm trying to say?

I shot my friends rifle last week, it had an 11 inch Troy TRX on it and my hand was almost all the way out on that rail too. I shot that way better then my own. This carbine length setup is just too short. Could I shoot more and get use to it? Sure, I suppose..?

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj3/roadblockxl/AR%20Rifles/rra_m4.jpg

Failure2Stop
02-08-12, 15:48
Investing your money in quality training and ammo will save you from indecision and poor choices.

A guy recently asked me about attending a class and expressed some concern about his lack of gear and optics.
My advice to him:
Bring what you have as it is.
See what other people are using, and why, before spending your hard-earned cash.

Spent 2 days of serious shooting with your setup under the eye and guidance of an experienced teacher and see where it limits you and what options exist to correct those problems.
You will quickly find out where your money needs to go to get the largest performance gains and those with the best return on investment.

Cheap optics will wind up costing you more in the long run.

Campbell
02-08-12, 16:28
1.Half in the new emergency fund.
2.Ammo/training gets the rest.