PDA

View Full Version : New female shooters

Buck
12-20-07, 16:15
My nieces wanted to go shooting, but they thought the firearms that I have looked too scary… In an effort to adapt and overcome I think this concept may be just the thing to introduce my nieces into shooting…

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-1/88649/ar15-barbie.jpg

They can be girlie and still be the best armed 13 year olds on the block...

ThirdWatcher
12-20-07, 16:43
Last week, I gave my oldest (21 yoa) daughter and early Christmas present: a Colt 6520 carbine (all black) and she loves it. (The beauty of the 6520 is how compact and light weight it is.)

I have always strongly believed in getting the fairer sex interested in shooting, as they vote, too. Most young ladies seem to be overly concerned about recoil, and the AR-15 is the perfect design for a first centerfire rifle.

GONIF
12-20-07, 17:34
That's just not right ,it looks like a FAG AR15.

TOrrock
12-20-07, 17:44
First time my sister ever shot a carbine or rifle in her life, and she was dinging 12" steel at 200 yards, reliably. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Heather%20M4%203-18-07/aHeatherwithColtM4001.jpg

sonrider657
12-20-07, 18:24
Check out this video (posted a few weeks ago on another forum):

CLICK HERE FOR LINK (Be patient ... 15 MB download) (http://www.christiancarnivore.com/Pink Full Auto.mov)

Looks like the Full Auto took her by surprise!

:D

CleverNickname
12-20-07, 18:57

I hope she was shooting into a hill or a really tall berm, otherwise who knows where some of the rounds out of that first burst went.

Having a new shooter shoot a machine gun isn't a good idea IHMO, no matter their gender.

SuicideHz
12-20-07, 19:16
Light bullets have a very low terminal velocity. Hopefully if they ended up in a populated area they weren't going fast enough to kill.

gaspipes
12-20-07, 20:33
Check out this video (posted a few weeks ago on another forum):

CLICK HERE FOR LINK (Be patient ... 15 MB download) (http://www.christiancarnivore.com/Pink Full Auto.mov)

:D

Why would anybody take their wife, girlfriend, sister, daughter or anybody else for that matter, shooting with a full auto and let them hold the gun like the gal in that video? She didn't even have the buttstock against her shoulder. Dumb!!

Submariner
12-20-07, 20:39
First time my sister ever shot a carbine or rifle in her life, and she was dinging 12" steel at 200 yards, reliably. :D

How could that be? :confused:

She obviously had not yet mastered her iron sights.:D

TOrrock
12-20-07, 20:56
How could that be? :confused:

She obviously had not yet mastered her iron sights.:D

She was doing it with the M1 Garand as well, irons only.

:cool:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Fathers%20Day%2007/DSC00205.jpg

armakraut
12-20-07, 21:59
Women seem to really dig Czech VZ-58's and other firearms that are for all intents and purposes fairly light weight. I think they (women) have some qualities that make for better target/speed shooters right off the bat. Trying to get them to the range is like pulling teeth. Unlike most guys, they'll tell you which guns are going to work for them before firing them (ergonomics).

R1pper
12-21-07, 06:03
Last week, I gave my oldest (21 yoa) daughter and early Christmas present: a Colt 6520 carbine (all black) and she loves it. (The beauty of the 6520 is how compact and light weight it is.)

Is she single, and has a thing for 24 year old cops who do nothing but work. It is tough enough to get girls to go shooting with me let alone a girl that has thier own AR. Seriously just kidding, I know how guys are about thier daughters, I dated a senior officers daughter while I was in high school and he still doesnt like me for breaking up with her.

boltcatch
12-22-07, 09:34
I like teaching women to shoot a lot more than I like teaching men - the women generally don't feel like they have to act like they know everything, and they tend to listen a hell of a lot better. 30 rounds out of a .22, and 10 minutes of instruction on the AR-15, and I had my buddy's girlfriend hitting the 200 yard steel easily.

Surprisingly, she preferred shooting the non-suppressed AR, due to the gases.

One thing NOT to do, however... don't be a dick, guys (you know who you are), and hand a new shooter a 12ga with slugs, a Mosin M44, or a 2" .357. I see this at public ranges a lot, and it really turns off potential shooters.

I've also seen a bunch of fat rednecks bringing their 13 y/o nephew out to shoot for the first time - and not only handing him a 12ga with 3 1/2" slugs, but not bringing earpro and making fun of him for asking for some (this was a crowded range). "Boy, you's ain't gonna be wearin' no ear plugs when you's huntin', so you's gotta get acclimated to it" :rolleyes: I carry spare foam earplugs and gave him some.

ST911
12-22-07, 10:33
Having a new shooter shoot a machine gun isn't a good idea IHMO, no matter their gender.

We do a MG shoot for ladies every year as part of another event. It's a hoot. With a bit of coaching and 1:1 attention they shoot well and shoot safely. The only complaint the gals have is when we run low on ammunition. Favorites are an M-16 and MP5SD.

They key with new shooters, all genders, is quality coaching/instruction that instills safe habits and good fundamentals.

9x19
12-22-07, 11:54
I like teaching women to shoot a lot more than I like teaching men - the women generally don't feel like they have to act like they know everything, and they tend to listen a hell of a lot better. 30 rounds out of a .22, and 10 minutes of instruction on the AR-15, and I had my buddy's girlfriend hitting the 200 yard steel easily.

Surprisingly, she preferred shooting the non-suppressed AR, due to the gases.

One thing NOT to do, however... don't be a dick, guys (you know who you are), and hand a new shooter a 12ga with slugs, a Mosin M44, or a 2" .357. I see this at public ranges a lot, and it really turns off potential shooters.

I've also seen a bunch of fat rednecks bringing their 13 y/o nephew out to shoot for the first time - and not only handing him a 12ga with 3 1/2" slugs, but not bringing earpro and making fun of him for asking for some (this was a crowded range). "Boy, you's ain't gonna be wearin' no ear plugs when you's huntin', so you's gotta get acclimated to it" :rolleyes: I carry spare foam earplugs and gave him some.

I taught one of my best friends to shoot not long after I first met her. She had never fired a gun before. I took a few minutes in the classroom for fundamentals. She listened very well and she learned very quickly. I started her with a .22 pistol. Then I progressed to a couple of different 9mm pistols, and then to ARs and AKs. She did very well with all of them, better than many people I've seen who have been shooting for a while. I had never tried to teach someone how to shoot, but she said I was a great instructor. I just gave her the instruction the way that I would want to be taught.

That girly AR kills me. :eek: But then I'm not the average female.

John_Wayne777
12-22-07, 12:01
My nieces wanted to go shooting, but they thought the firearms that I have looked too scary… In an effort to adapt and overcome I think this concept may be just the thing to introduce my nieces into shooting…

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-1/88649/ar15-barbie.jpg

They can be girlie and still be the best armed 13 year olds on the block...

One of the things I find helpful with new shooters is to use reactive targets....stuff that blows up and looks cool to get them hooked.

I usually use biodegradable targets....apples, potatoes, coconuts, etc.

Nathan_Bell
12-22-07, 12:10
One of the things I find helpful with new shooters is to use reactive targets....stuff that blows up and looks cool to get them hooked.

I usually use biodegradable targets....apples, potatoes, coconuts, etc.

Getting the targets close to the berm is also good, as you can provide feedback on misses as well.