PDA

View Full Version : Colt Agent .38 special Value????

rjacobs
02-08-12, 13:35
My neighbor has a Colt Agent .38 special that she is interested in possibly selling to me. I have no clue what this revolver is worth. I want to give her a fair price.

Blued finish that I would say is probably in 85% condition(bit of holster wear). There is a little bit of rust, but not much. I believe it is a 1965 model as the serial number is 161XXXLW and according to proofhouse.com it fits in that serial number range. I believe the grips are original as well. It looks like it was carried a lot and fired a little. It also has an old leather Buckheimer B1 holster.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/rjacobs1/IMAG0303.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/rjacobs1/IMAG0302.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/rjacobs1/IMAG0304.jpg

Jake'sDad
02-08-12, 14:55
Nice old gun. I love my old D frames, even though I could never shoot them as well as a Smith.

They seem to change hands at around 3-450. A minty in the box one might bring a bit more. Doesn't seem to be as much interest in them as shooters as there was in the past.

rjacobs
02-08-12, 15:00
The gun broker prices for a, to me, beat up gun seem to be 400-500. There is one that is basically new in box(minus the box) for $899 and there is one that is a 1966 that is in, probably 5% better condition than this one, for $775.

I found a place locally that deals in all kinds of old revolvers, lever actions and what not I am going to take it to to get it appraised.

Timbonez
02-08-12, 22:29
Ask around at Colt Forum. They are extremely knowledgeable with Colt Revolvers especially...Colt Forum - Colt Revolvers (http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-revolvers/).

Jake'sDad
02-09-12, 10:01
The gun broker prices for a, to me, beat up gun seem to be 400-500. There is one that is basically new in box(minus the box) for $899 and there is one that is a 1966 that is in, probably 5% better condition than this one, for $775.

:rolleyes:

Try searching on completed listings. You'll see that those prices are pipe dreams. People can list guns for whatever they want. The one's that actually sell, go for closer to what I told you.

I found a place locally that deals in all kinds of old revolvers, lever actions and what not I am going to take it to to get it appraised.

Ask them what they'd pay you for it today, and then add 50% to get a ballpark idea of what it's worth.

Jake'sDad
02-09-12, 10:04
Ask around at Colt Forum. They are extremely knowledgeable with Colt Revolvers especially...Colt Forum - Colt Revolvers (http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-revolvers/).

You'll mainly get an idea of what they'd like to get for their guns, or lowball offers. Searching Gunbroker completed listings is a far better resource for what stuff is actually selling for.

Timbonez
02-09-12, 11:14
You'll mainly get an idea of what they'd like to get for their guns, or lowball offers. Searching Gunbroker completed listings is a far better resource for what stuff is actually selling for.

Do you even frequent Colt Forum forum at all? Your statement suggests that you do not.

Jake'sDad
02-09-12, 15:16
Do you even frequent Colt Forum forum at all? Your statement suggests that you do not.

Your comment suggests you think you know more than you do.

I've spent a bit of time on the Colt forums, having been a Colt collector for 30+ years. I'm also a member at the S&W and Ruger forums, since I collect those as well. I post, ask, and answer questions on all three, plus a couple others. They're invaluable for getting good info on various models.

However, seeking pricing information from a specialty forum, where you will only receive a handful of opinions, that may come from those with an agenda, will likely not prove as accurate as searching through actual sales that have taken place. It's just like selling a house. What you think it's worth, isn't as important as what someone will actually write a check for it.

If the OP had an extremely rare gun, then those types of forums might be the best resource, as previous sales information would be difficult to find. He doesn't. He has a very common gun, not in collector condition, with hundreds of recent auctions to refer to.

DMR
02-09-12, 19:50
Someone here has my Colt Agent. It was a late production model with the shrouded ejector, and park'ed finish. I had some custom work done to it also.

I found it to be a better pocket gun then a P9 or a PM9. The rear of the slide would always catch the pocket on the draw. The Agent would slide right out.

If you get it let me know. I still have an excellent ankle holster for it.

rjacobs
02-09-12, 21:24
Well I am at anywhere from 300-700 for a gun in this condition from what I can tell which is a pretty wide swath to cut. I think I am going to offer her 400.

She also has a High Standard .22 magnum derringer with the box and manual that is only in fair condition(probably 60%). Im seeing these in 90%+ condition going for 400 with the box and manual. Im thinking of offering her 500 for the pair and see what she says.

Neither of these guns are to me anything more than an investment, and a meager one at that. They dont hold sentimental value to me, but I would rather have them than to have them sit in her closet forgotten about. If I could turn a little profit in a few years on these two guns, or just let them sit in my small meager collection, that would be ok with me.

theJanitor
02-09-12, 22:08
I bought a d frame, looks to be unfired, 1910-1911 production. It's got a great trigger and is smooth handling. With the plethora of grips available for your Agent, making it shoot well should not be a problem

DWood
02-11-12, 09:08
My experience is the Detective Specials and Cobras in 95% + condition sell for $450-500. The Agents I have seen sell for a little less. The one you describe is not minty so $350-400 is realistic.

I would offer $350 to a stranger but would probably go $400 for a friend. At $400, you will both make out OK.

cocojo
02-11-12, 16:15
Nice Colt I would say 400.00 ish range unless you have the box which would bring the value up considerably. I have an older Agent 1956, wish I had the box for my gun. They shoot great.

Timbonez
02-11-12, 17:31
Your comment suggests you think you know more than you do.

I've spent a bit of time on the Colt forums, having been a Colt collector for 30+ years. I'm also a member at the S&W and Ruger forums, since I collect those as well. I post, ask, and answer questions on all three, plus a couple others. They're invaluable for getting good info on various models.

However, seeking pricing information from a specialty forum, where you will only receive a handful of opinions, that may come from those with an agenda, will likely not prove as accurate as searching through actual sales that have taken place. It's just like selling a house. What you think it's worth, isn't as important as what someone will actually write a check for it.

If the OP had an extremely rare gun, then those types of forums might be the best resource, as previous sales information would be difficult to find. He doesn't. He has a very common gun, not in collector condition, with hundreds of recent auctions to refer to.

What agenda? They have no dog in the fight. He is asking for a fair offer to a person selling a gun. Explain how someone who may have an agenda is going to affect what he offers?

You tell him to search gunbroker, which is rife with individuals who are trying to sell firearms for more than they are worth.

klty
04-17-13, 06:45
I inherited my dad's .38 Colt Special Agent. There was a crack in the wooden grips so I replaced it with pacmyer grips. Anyone know where to get some original wooden grips?

Jake'sDad
04-17-13, 10:15
What agenda? They have no dog in the fight. He is asking for a fair offer to a person selling a gun. Explain how someone who may have an agenda is going to affect what he offers?

The agenda's I referred to may come from collectors on forums who overvalue their "appraisals" of guns they collect, or lowball in an attempt to purchase the gun.

You tell him to search gunbroker, which is rife with individuals who are trying to sell firearms for more than they are worth.

Reading comprehension can be fundamental....

I said to search through "completed listings", for "actual sales that have taken place". Not for what people are asking for their guns on GB. I said those prices are a "pipe dream".

That will indeed prove more accurate than listening to random "experts" opinions of value on collector forums. What someone actually pays is what your gun is worth, not what someone says it's worth..

Jake'sDad
04-17-13, 10:22
I inherited my dad's .38 Colt Special Agent. There was a crack in the wooden grips so I replaced it with pacmyer grips. Anyone know where to get some original wooden grips?

Ebay, Gunbroker, gun shows, or if you have a good local gun store, sometimes they will have a big box of takeoff grips they've collected over the years. Original Colt revolver grips continue to go up in value, and I'm constantly reminded of the hundreds of them I sold for a couple bucks each or gave away.

All of the Agent's have the short grip frame, so make sure you get the right ones.