PDA

View Full Version : Larue cantilever mount - yes or no

45auto
02-08-12, 16:58
I am looking to mount an Aimpoint PRO on a DDM4V4 that has the Omega-X 9" rail. I've done a search to try and gauge whether other people use the Larue LT129 cantilever mount on the same type of rail set-up. But all I really found was a bunch of WTS ads.

I am not looking to add a magnifier on this rifle, but will incorporate the use of BUIS. So, my question to the experienced crew is should I consider the LT129 cantilever mount or the standard LT150 mount? Is a cantilever mount even necessary on an upper with a 9" rail? Thanks in advance for your advice. :cool:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c211/tomc54/p1011701.jpg

Duffy
02-08-12, 17:14
I can use my straight LaRue Aimpoint mount with a magnifier just fine.

As to whether it's necessary, it depends on where you want to mount the Aimpoint. Some folks like it mount it as forward as possible, I'm content with it sitting on the upper receiver, behind where the upper receiver meets the railed handguard :)

bp7178
02-08-12, 17:16
I had one and really liked it, but its principle use was with a magnifier.

I think you see a lot of ads for the older aimpoints and their mounts because most have moved to the micros.

BCmJUnKie
02-08-12, 17:21
I use a magnifier on both M2 and M3.

Th eM3 is on an M4 with Carbine rail, and a straight LT mount.

It works with or without the cant. mount

sgtjosh
02-08-12, 17:28
I use the LT-129. I like it. it allows the use of a magnifier with a BUIS. Mounted forward, it also gives me the feeling that I have increased peripheral vision. It may or may not make me less prone to tunnel vision.

45auto
02-08-12, 17:38
I use the LT-129. I like it. it allows the use of a magnifier with a BUIS. Mounted forward, it also gives me the feeling that I have increased peripheral vision. It may or may not make me less prone to tunnel vision.
I forgot to mention that the Aimpoint PRO will be my first RDS. So, with that being said, is it standard practice to mount the RDS as far forward as possible on the receiver for maximum field of view and if so, would it make sense to buy the cantilever for that very reason?

ccosby
02-08-12, 17:40
I bought the cantilever mount with an m3 directly from larue a few years ago. Personally I like how it pushes the aimpoint forward. I will say I bought it in case I wanted to get the magnifier which I never have. Really either is fine. I think the cantilever mount gives you a few more options.

bp7178
02-08-12, 17:54
IIRC the spare battery compartments on the straight mounts are under the mount, as opposed to being on the side.