PDA

View Full Version : .22LR cal MP5 clones

Avenger29
02-08-12, 18:46
OK, so I figure I want one of the MP-5 clones in .22LR. There are of course two options out there...the GSG MP-5 clones that have been out for a few years now (and seem to work OK but aren't the finest built firearms out there) and the ones actually stamped HK.

I definitely want a quality gun and ideally it should be able to accomodate a .22 suppressor. I've got a couple of questions...

1) What is the current quality of the GSG guns? Parts and accessories availability? Reliability?

2) What about the HK guns? Does HK actually make them? Reliability? Parts and accessory availability? Accept a suppressor without major modification?

Basically, is either gun worth buying and is the HK gun actually worth the extra money for it?

mdoan300
02-08-12, 19:18
Umarex makes the HK one. You can fit real MP5 pieces to it (doesn't make sense to me, but whatever) - there is a long thread on hkpro.com on it. You might get better luck finding your answers there.

I like mine... mags and accessories were hard to come by last year - I don't know if that has changed.

Avenger29
02-08-12, 19:28
I figured Umarex makes the HK one. The store I swung by today that had the HK marked one did have a nice stack of spare mags available for purchase.

How is your gun quality wise? The one I looked at (the MP5SD type one with a collapsible stock) seemed very well built on the outside.

B Cart
02-08-12, 19:36
I have the GSG -522. I'm not sure what the parts availability is, but so far it has been reliable. I have put about 1,000 rounds through it so far with (2) malfunctions (one failure to feed, one round jam). Seems to function well and is quite accurate. I've done multiple mag dumps and it has functioned great every time. It's definitely not near as high of quality as the HK version that I've shot, but I picked it up for $275 brand new so I can't really complain. For a .22 plinker it's a great gun IMO.

mdoan300
02-08-12, 19:48
I don't have anything to compare it against; having said that, I am fine with the quality. I have read from owners of the Umarex and real Hk94's that the exterior dimensions and weight of the Umarex is pretty close to the real thing. Two take down pins separate the upper and lower and the resemblance stops and Umarex's internal design takes over. It only separates into 2 pieces (aside from removing the handguard and sliding stock), which makes cleaning the barrel a real fun exercise.

I have shot Federal, American Eagle, and Blazer. Blazer is the only one fouls that my barrel with lead. The others are copper plated and I think that helps.

The faux suppressor unscrews with a supplied wrench to reveal the barrel. If you want to mount a real suppressor, then you'd have to get some smith work done. The barrel (beneath the faux suppressor) is shrouded.

The rear sight drum is a cheap, but does the job.

It's a fun gun, but if I didn't like the MP5 so much, then I would have gotten a s&w m&p 15-22.

LHS
02-08-12, 21:40
I have one of the first-gen GSG-5 rifles. The trigger is pretty meh, and there's no provision for adjusting elevation on the sights. The furniture is cheap and crappy, so much so that the buttstock cracked at the attachment pins just from sitting in my safe. Real MP5 hardware won't fit. I bought an Airsoft PDW-style folder and an old HK sling, and now it's good to go. I also got a 2nd-gen front sight assembly with interchangeable height posts so I can adjust the POI.

That said... the gun runs like a scalded ass ape, and it's fairly accurate for what it is. I have close to 1000 rounds, all cheap Remy and Fed bulk pack, through mine with no cleaning or additional lube.

Adding a suppressor would be a real PITA. I know at one point Gemtech was doing SD conversions, not sure if they're still doing them. The barrel is very thin, housed in a fake suppressor shroud. I've seen some SBR conversions that use the shroud threading on the front sight block to mount a suppressor adapter as well. Either way, it's a good bit of time and money to invest in a cheap plinker.

I have to admit I've had fun with mine, mostly for the nostalgia for shooting my dad's MP5 as a kid. I call it 'Baby's First Assault Rifle'. One day, I'll teach my son to shoot with it (after he masters bolt-action basics).

CoryCop25
02-08-12, 21:56
If the Umarex rifles are anything like the Colt M4 22s, stay far far away!

lloydkristmas
02-09-12, 00:47
I dont own any of them, but I handled one of the HK/Umarex 416's at a shop not too long ago. I thought initially it was an MR556, but then the guy explained otherwise. It actually felt pretty good in the hands. Hefty, seemed well made. Working dust cover, etc. I popped the rear pin and swung it open....thats when the questions came...

You cant easily (and apparently without voiding the warranty) remove the bolt for cleaning. You have to use a 90degree angle type bore brush to get in there and de-gunk the chamber etc. Sure some spray cleaner would help, but really? I better be able to fully disassemble any gun I own to clean it. That would be like being limited to only cleaning your Glock/Sig/Beretta/whatever without taking the slide off. No thanks.

From what I understand, the MP5's are built similarly. They look nice on the outside, but the internals leave a lot to be desired. Reports say the guns are pretty reliable though, so who knows. Just seems like a silly and toy-like set up to me.

As for the Colt/Umarex vs HK/Umarex thing, I was told that HK basically told Umarex/Walther (the manufacturer) that they better get their shit together and de-bug the line of rifles otherwise they wouldnt get to touch the HK rollmark. I'm inclined to believe this.

CoryCop25
02-09-12, 08:35
As for the Colt/Umarex vs HK/Umarex thing, I was told that HK basically told Umarex/Walther (the manufacturer) that they better get their shit together and de-bug the line of rifles otherwise they wouldnt get to touch the HK rollmark. I'm inclined to believe this.

This is the first I have heard of this and bravo for H&K!

SteyrAUG
02-09-12, 13:59
Umarex airsoft/paintball quality toy chambered for .22lr

I could see it as a training rifle for a kid, but I don't see why any adult shooter would actually want one.

LHS
02-09-12, 14:09
Umarex airsoft/paintball quality toy chambered for .22lr

I could see it as a training rifle for a kid, but I don't see why any adult shooter would actually want one.

Because it's a toy, and some of us can't afford real MP5s :)

I have serious guns, and I have fun guns. This is one of the fun guns.

B Cart
02-09-12, 15:24

+1,000. Just because we're "adult shooters" means we can't want a $300 plinker? Really?? wow

On a side note, I have used that cheap GSG-522 "toy" to get 10+ people into shooting over the last year. Almost all have all said that was their favorite gun to shoot. For the money, I think they're great guns for kids and adults alike

Avenger29
02-09-12, 15:50
but I don't see why any adult shooter would actually want one.

Because some of us like to shoot for fun in addition to training for defense. I have a quality AR-15 and a good M&P 9mm pistol plus a 12 ga. shotgun for defense.

And it's fun to shoot something other than your standard AR and Glock on occasion. It's why I have rifles such as my CZ-452, my Ruger 96/22, and my 91/30 and handguns such as my GSG 1911-22 and S&W Mdl 34 kitgun. None of which I would I use in a defensive situation.

I would love a 9mm cal semi MP-5, and would like to have a full auto version even more. Unfortunately, my income level and shooting budget do not agree...

SteyrAUG
02-09-12, 21:49

If you are aware of the quality and still willing to buy it that is fine. I just think there are better quality toys out there. It's way too much money for what you get in my opinion.

Because some of us like to shoot for fun in addition to training for defense. I have a quality AR-15 and a good M&P 9mm pistol plus a 12 ga. shotgun for defense.

And it's fun to shoot something other than your standard AR and Glock on occasion. It's why I have rifles such as my CZ-452, my Ruger 96/22, and my 91/30 and handguns such as my GSG 1911-22 and S&W Mdl 34 kitgun. None of which I would I use in a defensive situation.

I would love a 9mm cal semi MP-5, and would like to have a full auto version even more. Unfortunately, my income level and shooting budget do not agree...

I'd rather drop a .22 kit in a real AR than buy a Umarex. I think it is a better option for the money. I just don't think the GSG5 or the Umarex is worth the money.

LHS
02-09-12, 21:56
If you are aware of the quality and still willing to buy it that is fine. I just think there are better quality toys out there. It's way too much money for what you get in my opinion.

At what I paid for it (and paid to fix it), I'd agree. Now that you can get them for $300 or so, it's not so bad. I bought mine for $450 when they first hit the market, then dumped at least another $100 in parts (stock, front sight assembly, etc) to bring it up to speed.

A friend of mine actually got one of the MP5K pistol versions, SBR'd it, put a PDW sidefolder and K-grip on it, and mounts a Gemtech G5-22 can on it. It's a hell of a lot of fun, though more than I'd be willing to spend on a plinker.

Mark/MO
02-10-12, 09:13
A friend won one of the Umarex versions at a bowling pin shoot we attended a year or two ago. I thought it was fine as far as quality goes; nothing to crow about but truthfully better than what I was expecting. We've shot it quite a bit since and it flat runs. The only problem we encountered was with an extremely large cap mag he found somewhere. It just would not feed. The normal factory mags ran like a turpentined cat. A minor complaint of mine is that when shooting left handed his seems prone to spraying my face with crap, much more so than say a 10/22 or something similar.

In his case it’s simply a fun plinker and the price was certainly right. :)

LHS
02-10-12, 12:06
I'd rather drop a .22 kit in a real AR than buy a Umarex. I think it is a better option for the money. I just don't think the GSG5 or the Umarex is worth the money.

I have an M&P 15/22 that I love, and use for close-range training when my budget doesn't allow me to burn 5.56.

But I wanted an MP5 clone, and when I bought my GSG, it was the only game in town. When Umarex came out with their clone, I didn't even look twice at it, since I was appalled by the craptastic AR clone they did for Colt (and I already had the GSG).

Now, after my experience with the GSG-5, I was not willing to drop coin on their 1911. Then, a few folks who had them spoke highly of them, and I got to handle one and was impressed. They have upped their game, and now I'm running one for fun plinking with my Outback. It replaced my P22 (another craptastic gun, but at least I didn't pay for that one), which I was wanting to do anyway.

Avenger29
02-10-12, 12:14
I was not willing to drop coin on their 1911.

I am very impressed with their 1911. Affordable yet pretty good quality. Very reliable for me, and I like that you can actually strip it down and clean it very well. Adding a suppressor is very easy.

Now I wish they would go back and redo their version of the MP-5 to the same quality as their 1911...

LHS
02-10-12, 12:16
I am very impressed with their 1911. Affordable yet pretty good quality. Very reliable for me, and I like that you can actually strip it down and clean it very well. Adding a suppressor is very easy.

Now I wish they would go back and redo their version of the MP-5 to the same quality as their 1911...

Like I said, I'm pretty fond of mine. I only have a few hundred rounds through it, but it's light years better than the MP5 clone. Hell, the magazines are some of the burliest, beefiest I've ever seen. I like that the sight dovetails are sized for Novaks, and that you can put real 1911 parts into it if you're so inclined. I probably won't, as it's just a plinker, but it's nice to have the option.

Vash1023
07-26-12, 01:10
Umarex makes the HK one. You can fit real MP5 pieces to it (doesn't make sense to me, but whatever) - there is a long thread on hkpro.com on it. You might get better luck finding your answers there.

I like mine... mags and accessories were hard to come by last year - I don't know if that has changed.

i cant believe how many people did ZERO research before keyboard vomiting in this thread...

first of all... the H&K mp-5 is licensed by H&K,, PRODUCED (made) by walther. and imported and sold by umarex.

secondly, comparing the GSG to the Walther/h&K mp5 is apples to oranges. i say that because the walther blows the gsg out of the water in all aspects. (i own both and speak from experience)

the GSG is 90% juck plastic. ive owned airsoft guns that were made of better quality materials.

the walther/H&K is made of a good amount of metal, and the plastics feel more like Glock quality polymers.

the GSG has almost ZERO parts compatibility with a real H&K.
where as the walther/H&K has something like 80%.

only downside in the walther design is that the easiest way to clean it is to slide the barrel and receiver group out of the rear of the gun, but it only takes 30 seconds and is very simple.

one more key point is that the walther/H&K has a manual bolt speed adjustment for reliable cycling of multiple different velocity's of ammunition.

overall the extra $200 is very easy to justify over the gsg and overall the walther/H&K will be a much more satisfying purchase and last a lifetime.

scottryan
07-26-12, 07:44
I'd rather have a high end 10/22 or a drop in rimfire kit in a real AR-15.

These things are airsoft level junk.

mdoan300
07-26-12, 09:16
i cant believe how many people did ZERO research before keyboard vomiting in this thread...

first of all... the H&K mp-5 is licensed by H&K,, PRODUCED (made) by walther. and imported and sold by umarex.

And guess who owns Walther.

But hey, if it makes you feel any better and lowers your blood pressure, my Umarex is now 10x better in quality since you let the cat out of the bag.:rolleyes:

KalashniKEV
07-26-12, 12:53
I'd rather have a high end 10/22 or a drop in rimfire kit in a real AR-15.

These things are airsoft level junk.

+1000

Umarex is a toy company.

Umarex is your premium airgun supplier of replica air pistols, air rifles, tactical airsoft guns, paintball markers, and realistic blank firing pistols.

Quiet
08-04-12, 10:08
Between the two choices, the H&K/Umarex/Walther MP5 .22LR is the better option. It's better constructed and feels more solid than the GSG. But, accuracy and reliability is the same.

GSG took their airsoft MP5 and made it into a .22LR.

H&K licensed Umarex to make them .22LR firearms. In turn, Umarex handed their H&K licensed airsoft to Walther and had them made into .22LR firearms.