PDA

View Full Version : Noveske Q's

rsxr22
02-08-12, 20:20
Hey guys! Im looking for some info on Noveske. There's not much out there on them and I was wondering if anyone had any good information here. I asked the same question on arfcom before and got no helpful responses to say the least.
Does Noveske make their own barrels? I see they go for a pretty penny and how is the overall quality? Im sure with the prices they are going for they are gtg, but what would make someone buy a Noveske over some of the other top companies out there?

I am looking for a 14.5" and for no particular purposes. Ill use it at some classes and for the most part just another toy. Ive already got a KAC, BCM, and DD. Im trying to figure out whether to put my money in them or wait for one of the new Larue PredatOBR's

Hmac
02-08-12, 20:25
Noveske reportedly does their own rifling and chambering on blanks their guys make next door at PacNor. Don't know about their chrome lined barrels.

If you're just making a range toy, you wouldn't likely be needing a $450 stainless steel barrel with nuts-on accuracy. Get a BCM, DD, or Centurion chrome-lined.

TehLlama
02-08-12, 20:57
They do make their own SS barrels from PacNor blanks, as with most CHF barrels the original source isn't as critical, since they're all really good.

Noveske makes some tack driving rifles in both varieties, and in many cases the barrel profiles are much more logical than other options.

A light, lopro afghan type upper can actually be extremely good.

One of my 'complaints' with Noveske is that a bit of extra cost exists because with complete rifles and stuff like that they go farther out of their way to make sure certain items are pretty (iron cross halves on upper/lower, custom VLTOR MUR upper receivers, and I have yet to hear a gripe on TOS about the finishes not matching perfectly).

In the somewhat light stainless steel realm, Noveske gets the nod from me over LT, BCM, HCS, and Centurion for that length.

Jaysop
02-08-12, 21:03
I love my LoPro Noveske. CL barrel. Its the most accurate AR ive fired. I think they're best quality is the barrels. I sold the rail and replaced with a RIS II. I got the FFL lower and Vltor upper. Real nice quality all around. I wouldn't hesitate to spend the $ for it again.
My BCM is a little bit more ruff around the edges for comparison.

rezin23
02-08-12, 22:26
Go with the Noveske, you will not regret it. All my personal AR's are Noveske, they are a pleasure to shoot, accurate and reliable.

Blowby
02-08-12, 23:00
No regret on the purchase of the Afghan or the Recon. Accurate and repeatable.

HELLABEN
02-08-12, 23:55
noveske is definately worth the money, i owned 3 of them. now im just down to one, but i will get another..

when you factor in things like pinned gasblocks and other standard features that noveke comes with, they really dont cost much more than other brands

edit-if you already have a bcm knights and DD, i would just wait till the predatober and the new noveske NSR railed uppers come out and then decide

CGFS
02-09-12, 00:00
They do make their own SS barrels from PacNor blanks, as with most CHF barrels the original source isn't as critical, since they're all really good.

Noveske makes some tack driving rifles in both varieties, and in many cases the barrel profiles are much more logical than other options.

A light, lopro afghan type upper can actually be extremely good.

One of my 'complaints' with Noveske is that a bit of extra cost exists because with complete rifles and stuff like that they go farther out of their way to make sure certain items are pretty (iron cross halves on upper/lower, custom VLTOR MUR upper receivers, and I have yet to hear a gripe on TOS about the finishes not matching perfectly).

In the somewhat light stainless steel realm, Noveske gets the nod from me over LT, BCM, HCS, and Centurion for that length.

I'm fairly certain that in his interview that was posted here again recently he said that they use their own steel and their own machines, which just happen to be in the Pac Nor facility. Actually he said the guys at pac nor also clock out there before clocking in for Noveske to produce barrels.

Serpico1985
02-09-12, 00:08
For more detailed info espically on the barrels (both CL and SS) search google for "john noveske interview". There is a defense review article that has great info straight from the horses mouth.

Wake27
02-09-12, 00:11
I love mine. It is expensive, but I'd do it again without hesitation. They're beautiful rifles, with everything top-notch quality.

Ratfink
02-09-12, 00:30
My noveske afghan is a fantastic rifle very expensive and heavy but I love it dearly

Javelin
02-09-12, 02:15
I bought a Noveske back in 2008. Now I have 4 of them. Best AR out there by far.

Iraqgunz
02-09-12, 03:42
I find it interesting you couldn't find much info here. There are probably one of the best AR's on the market and they are known for very good accuracy. My Noveske Recon was very accurate and 110% reliable.

Whether or not you need it or whether it is better than a DD, BCM, Colt, etc... is very subjective and depends on what your use for it is. If you can afford it (don't forget cleaning, lube, magazines, ammo, etc...) then by all means go for it.

Hmac
02-09-12, 12:48

I don't think they've done that for the last few years.

Wake27
02-09-12, 15:50
Mine has them. They have branding all over the place, including on the Troy irons.

J_Dub_503
02-09-12, 17:33
what would make someone buy a Noveske over some of the other top companies out there?

I live in Oregon so supporting a local company is always nice. I hear nothing but great things about their quality and customer service and I love the overall personality of the Guys and Gals that work there.

Also, they provide a unique service (http://noveskerifleworks.com/impdf/sbr_program.pdf) for those who already own one of thier lowers and are looking to make an SBR.

Jaysop
02-09-12, 21:07
They don't do the cross between the recivers anymore. Sherri said its been a long time since they stopped. I don't mind that though.
As for the branding all over... Mine is just the upper and lower.
Irons of course. What rifle isn't labeled all over anymore.

Wake27
02-13-12, 11:58
Oh my mistake, I didn't realize you were talking about it in that specific location.

ViperRy
02-13-12, 18:15
Can't go wrong with Noveske. Everything is top notch, thus the price. I have a Recon with the vltor mono rail and switchblock. The finest AR I own.

If the funds are tight, you can always get a Noveske barrel and build yourself an upper. I did that with another AR I built.

evotistic
02-13-12, 19:36
I just finished my first build, and used the Gen2 FFL chainsaw lower, and even though this is a "factory second", the finish looks perfect. I also put a 14.5" Afghan on the rifle, and after firing it, I have to say it is awesome. The bead blasted finish on the barrel is very nice as well. I love this barrel and would not hesitate to spend the money again.

sff70
02-13-12, 23:13
Just finished a build using a Noveske NST upper, and have shot and fondled other Novekse guns.

I have owned several Colts, and in my collateral duties as a armorer, maintain about 4 dozen AR15 variants used for LE duty (mostly S&W's).

Noveske's stuff is very high quality and put together right.

When you do an apples to apples comparison of what you're getting with a Noveske vs something comparable, the Noveske isn't that much more in cost.

If you qualify for a Mil or LE discount, that closes the gap even more.

Buy the best and you'll only cry once.

Wake27
02-14-12, 16:39
If you qualify for a Mil or LE discount, that closes the gap even more.

Buy the best and you'll only cry once.

My .mil discount saved me like $200. And yes.

rsxr22
02-14-12, 17:12
I appreciate all the help guys. I have always wanted one, but for some reason was always the purchased that I never pulled the trigger on. I just need to figure out exactly which model I want now. I will get back to everyone once ive done some more research

Hmac
02-18-12, 10:47
They don't do the cross between the recivers anymore. Sherri said its been a long time since they stopped. I don't mind that though.
As for the branding all over... Mine is just the upper and lower.
Irons of course. What rifle isn't labeled all over anymore.

The Troy on my Light Recce is Noveske-labeled. Likewise the BCM Gunfighter charging handles on more recent models.

I have been very pleased with my Noveske rifle over several thousand rounds. I did change the Vortex flash hider to a BattleComp, and switched the receiver extension/buffer to an A5 - very worthwhile additions for me. My only problem with the gun was the time my rear Troy BUIS fell off. Unfortunately, it fell off right at Jeff Gonzales' feet. A little eye-rolling and some loc-tite at the fiddle table and I was back in the game, sadder but wiser.

rsxr22
02-18-12, 21:30
I am in the market to get a Noveske Upper myself. This was a very informative thread. Great Info. I dont think i have seen anyone who hasnt like a noveske. :D
Very true statement and is exactly why I got the jones' for one!