PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Rossi Levers

iracecars4fun
02-08-12, 21:08
title says it all....

RudyN
02-08-12, 23:03
I have a Rossi repro of a 1892 Winchester that I use for Cowboy Action Shooting and I really like it. It has had the action smoothed up and worked on so it shoots better that one out of the box. It is in 45 Colt.

FSTRN
02-09-12, 00:16
I've got a stainless Rossi Puma M92 in .357. After I bought it I slicked up the action following the instructions in Steve Young's excellent DVD. Feeding .38's are a little rough but this gun runs .357's like a house afire. Accurate, handy, fun.
The actions definitely need work - but in my opinion the work is worth it. The worst things about them is probably the cheap Brazilian hardwood. Oh, and the dumb little safety on top of the receiver. I replaced that with a peep sight.

digdug18
02-16-12, 12:06
I've been looking at these for awhile now in .357/.38, haven't bitten the bullet so to speak as of yet though.

pmarc
02-16-12, 12:33
The worst things about them is probably the cheap Brazilian hardwood.

Considering the many excellent wood we have here, it is a shame that sub-par wood was used on guns.

BTW, I heard that the wood on the AGLC (a 7.62x51 bolt action made by Imbel) is sub-par too.

FSTRN
02-16-12, 21:34
Yes, I understand you have quite a large forest down there. :D
What was most disappointing was the split at the tang. I repaired it with some brass hardware and two-part epoxy. It's strong now, just not pretty. When I get some time I'll refinish it and slather it with a coat or two of Birchwood-Casey Tru Oil. That will give me more confidence in bad weather.

g-men10455
02-18-12, 13:33
I have a 16" 45c with a slick action, great shooter & it's worth every penny.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety"- Benjamin Franklin

kenny87ky
03-06-12, 17:14
use to have one. Probably the best budget lever rifle you can buy.

Redhat
03-15-12, 22:19
Had my EMF 20" Saddle Ring Carbine in 38/.357 about 8 years. It is pie plate accurate out to at last 100 yds and I've had no problems with it. Great little rifle for bumping around in the country.

Oh and it doesn't have the safety.

JEL458
03-16-12, 13:17
I have been kicking around the idea of getting one of their Ranch Hands and SBRing it, so I am glad to hear that they function well after a little work.

Turnkey11
03-17-12, 02:38
I have been kicking around the idea of getting one of their Ranch Hands and SBRing it, so I am glad to hear that they function well after a little work.

If they made it in .454 Casull Id have done it already.

Bruce in WV
03-17-12, 05:41
Nate Jones is THE Rossie lever genius. Look over his website for some good information.

http://www.stevesgunz.com/

Also, I saved a few articles on the lever gun as a fighting rifle and for survival use. I don't have the hotlinks, just the text - too much to post, but I'll share via email if you want them.

Jake'sDad
03-17-12, 10:24

Cool, didn't know you could do that with a handgun. Is it the same process for the paperwork as shortening a rifle?

JEL458
03-17-12, 18:27
As far as I know, you would do it the same way that you would SBR an AR lower; on a Form 1. After your paperwork came back, you could put a stock on it.

Jake'sDad
03-17-12, 19:43
As far as I know, you would do it the same way that you would SBR an AR lower; on a Form 1. After your paperwork came back, you could put a stock on it.

That's a cool way of getting a sbr lever and not have to shorten the mag tube. I've always wanted one of the old original trappers that were 15" and shorter if I remember right.

JEL458
03-18-12, 18:35
As have I. That's the first thing that I thought of when I saw the Ranch Hand, I was skeptical of the Rossi name though.

brickboy240
03-21-12, 12:48
I have looked at them several times...but went back and bought Marlins or Winchesters (usually older ones) every time.

I also looked at the Italian made Ubertis and again...bought older Marlins and Winchesters. The Italian guns are prettier than the others, but a quick scan of the Cowboy Action boards and there are tons of problems. Most Italian levers are bought with the intention of immediately smithing them up as CAS race guns...not for hunting or ATV carry.

The glaring problems I saw with the Rossis were...

The plastic magazine follower - that just reeks low quality. The overall lack of good fit and finish on wood and metal versus the US leverguns. The odd little safety added to the bolt on the 92 Winchester copy Rossis was also odd and really not necessary. Its ugly, too.

For a hundred or 2 hundred more bucks...I'd save and get a Marlin or Winchester....you'll be glad you did later on.

Sort of like comparing a SIG or Glock to a Taurus semi auto pistol or the Ruger SR-9. Adequate....but just not in the same quality class.

- brickboy240

Gem1950
04-12-12, 20:57
Nate Jones is THE Rossie lever genius. Look over his website for some good information.

http://www.stevesgunz.com/

^^^ Ditto. They're very slick when you tune them up. Super fun and convenient to be able to shoot .357/.38 sp.

Marines42
04-12-12, 22:12
I recently bought a model 92 and a Ranch Hand in .357 with the intention of mostly shooting .38 out of them. While it is obvious that they are not a Winchester or Marlin, I can't say I am disappointed with either. Light and handy.

RiflemanBobcat
04-16-12, 03:58
If they made it in .454 Casull Id have done it already.

Not sure how to tell you this delicately...so I'll just say it.
They do.
Blued (according to title anyway) (http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=159&category=8&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=) and Stainless (http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=164&category=8&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=) versions.
Enjoy!

Edit: Personally, I have a thing for the 20" carbine model, in .357 Magnum...at least as a first example. LGS used to have the .44 Magnum version on its rack, stayed there for quite a long time...then one day I stopped by and it was gone. Wish I'd scrimped up a little dough and bought the thing myself, now. Oh well; someday.

45ACP_Marine
04-20-12, 00:26
I had a Rossi Puma 92 in .44 Mag carbine. The action was horrible and the sites would always shoot left. I got rid of it after a while. Won't buy one again. I have a Henry .22 and I will be getting a Henry .44 before long. The actions are night and day.

Edit to add: I am not a fan of buying a weapon, then having to have it worked on just to make it decent. I would rather buy a good gun to start off with.